or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › QSC for Home Theater
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

QSC for Home Theater

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
I've been reading all of the QSC threads on here, but haven't been able to come to a solid conclusion. What is the best QSC for Home Theater use? The K or KW and which of the K or KW? I will be sticking them behind a AT screen, either commercial woven (maybe Seymour AV) or DIY spandex. It will be a 130-140" 2.35:1 screen and I'll be sitting 12.5' away.

Edited by xeonicxpression - 1/15/13 at 3:13pm
post #2 of 12
Thread Starter 
Yikes! No love for the QSC's I guess.
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeonicxpression View Post

Yikes! No love for the QSC's I guess.

I use QSC and Crown Itech 8000 amps. I would not change a thing.

Keep rocking,

Robert
post #4 of 12
What are you trying to power? QSC makes great stuff. Will the fan noise be masked in your setup?

I use an ART SLA amp, the fans are very quiet. Power output isnt very high though.
post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

What are you trying to power? QSC makes great stuff. Will the fan noise be masked in your setup?

I use an ART SLA amp, the fans are very quiet. Power output isnt very high though.

I'm looking at using the K12, KW122 or KW152 for my LCR behind an acoustically transparent screen. They have a 1000 watt amp built into them. From what I've read the amps don't get taxed enough in a home theater enviorment for the fan to kick in.
post #6 of 12
I should think the K series would be more than enough in your room. I've never used them in a home theater situation, but I've used the K8 for small concerts (100 people) and as concert center fills in a 450 seat theater. They are amazing little speakers! The K8, K10 & K12 all have different area coverage, so you might want to measure to see which will give the best sound stage in your room.
post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackiefan View Post

I should think the K series would be more than enough in your room. I've never used them in a home theater situation, but I've used the K8 for small concerts (100 people) and as concert center fills in a 450 seat theater. They are amazing little speakers! The K8, K10 & K12 all have different area coverage, so you might want to measure to see which will give the best sound stage in your room.

I didn't even think about the coverage area. The K12 the narrowest coverage area, which I would think would be all I would need. I attached a picture with the speakers drawn and a 75 degree arc. Anyone see anything wrong with this? Will it sound like a mess? I have a friend who is a DJ and has them in his basement theater, but I havent heard them yet. He can get them for me at almost dealer cost.

post #8 of 12
If your set on QSC K or KW, I'd opt for the KW153 3-way speaker. It will have better mid-range performance then the other 2-way designs. They are great speakers. As for subs, I would look elsewhere for a home theater application. Something that can play down to AT LEAST 20Hz would be nice
post #9 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post

If your set on QSC K or KW, I'd opt for the KW153 3-way speaker. It will have better mid-range performance then the other 2-way designs. They are great speakers. As for subs, I would look elsewhere for a home theater application. Something that can play down to AT LEAST 20Hz would be nice

I was thinking the KW153's. They are quite a step up in price, but thought the extra 6.5" cone for the mids would be nice. As for a sub, I already have a SVS PC13-Ultra. It's serving duty in my living room upstairs, but will make it's way downstairs once finished. It shakes the whole house when it hits hard.
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post

If your set on QSC K or KW, I'd opt for the KW153 3-way speaker. It will have better mid-range performance then the other 2-way designs. They are great speakers. As for subs, I would look elsewhere for a home theater application. Something that can play down to AT LEAST 20Hz would be nice

Also, I noticed you said "If your set on QSC K or KW". I'm not totally set on them. Do you have other suggestions?
post #11 of 12
There are a few of us who use pro speakers in their home theater. Most of us are in the DIY section becuase of the greater knowledge base. QSC makes excellent products and have a cinema line http://www.qscaudio.com/products/cinema_products.htm). The cinema speakers are generally pretty expensive compared to a general use SR speaker. I use JBL cinema speakers, but found a great deal used. Of the cinema lines there are QSC, JBL, Klipsch just to name a few of the most popular you'll find at your local theater.
Even Pioneer makes a line (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Professional/Pro-Speakers/TSC-3415,+TSC-3215,+TSC-1118SW+Cinema+Speaker+Systems).
post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrager View Post

There are a few of us who use pro speakers in their home theater. Most of us are in the DIY section becuase of the greater knowledge base. QSC makes excellent products and have a cinema line http://www.qscaudio.com/products/cinema_products.htm). The cinema speakers are generally pretty expensive compared to a general use SR speaker. I use JBL cinema speakers, but found a great deal used. Of the cinema lines there are QSC, JBL, Klipsch just to name a few of the most popular you'll find at your local theater.
Even Pioneer makes a line (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Professional/Pro-Speakers/TSC-3415,+TSC-3215,+TSC-1118SW+Cinema+Speaker+Systems).

Thanks Wrager, I'll continue this over in the DIY section.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › QSC for Home Theater