or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread - Page 75

post #2221 of 8753
Quote:
Originally Posted by frontierajl View Post

Looks like the 55" I returned, except mine had light bleeding into the top left and middle bottom of the black bars. Does it look like that if you turn off smart dimming on an input screen or anything? Yours looks good with the show on.

I like smart dimming so I leave it on, but if I turn it off the difference is not too bad almost minimal on the black bars on widescreen movies.

Now, with Smart Dimming on the no signal bar shows up, but then there is also the lighting from either side with the top and bottom as dark as the abyss. I am trying to take a photo of it, but it wont show on either of my cameras nor cellphone. This is normal and it does not bother me too much.

With the shows on it looks quite good and with movies and widescreen bars are pretty damn dark. The only bad bleed is the damn start up screen. Almost makes want to take it back.
post #2222 of 8753
Quote:
Originally Posted by vestaviascott View Post

Have any 70" owners used the low, wide mounting points for attaching to a wall mount?

I have an older model of this mount





I need to attach my mounting bars to the lower/wider mounting points on the back of the TV. Is there a point at which I should be concerned with a low mount?

It would seem that witha TV of this size (90+ pounds), there could be extreme stress on the bottom half of the TV when its angled down.

Just to piggy back on this, I would love to hear from some 70 inch owners who have purchased an articulating wall mount for this beast. I plan on purchasing the 70 inch when I move into my new house in August and would prefer an articulating wall mount (a whole lot easier to access wires on the back of the TV, should the need arise). I just want to ensure that I get a solid mount that doesn't compromise the integrity of the display. Any and all feedback is most appreciated.

John
post #2223 of 8753

Vizio 70" Day 3: Over the Air Channels

 

I've had some time now to settle in with the set and test over a wider variety of OTA content. Obviously this TV is a steller performer (at least to my eye) on Blu-ray content - almost to the point of appearing three dimensional.

 

The performance on over the air broadcast appears to be completely dependent on the quality of the source material. For example, with a TV this large, and from the viewing distance of between 8-10 feet (as is the case in my den), standard definition source material does not hold up well (as can be expected when compared to high quality 1080i or 720p)

 

Local News channels

Local news is a bit of a mixed bag with the in studio shots in pretty high quality but some of the field reports and feed footage showing blurryness when scaled to this size at this viewing distance. I'm not sure how much the TV can do to smooth out some of this. My 52" Samsung appeared to do better, however, that's apples to oranges when you consider the scaling of the image from 52" to 70".

 

PBS

The PBS content appears to be the best of the lot. I receive PBS as 1080i content OTA. "Cat in the Hat" this morning, with its splashes of solid color and sharply delineated lines, pops off the screen as if a 70 inch comic book set to motion. The screen uniformity on this type of material appears to be spot on. There is no percievable banding and the colors are rich and saturated as one would expect.

 

Directv HD

I've yet to connect the TV to my Directv Genie due to the fact that my HDMI cable is routed from a media closet behind the wall above my fireplace. The cable only reaches about 2.5 feet outside the wall (where my articulating wall mount is located). And, since I haven't yet mounted the Vizio on the wall, the cable simply won't reach. I'm looking to finish the install early next week (after a quick trip for the weekend). I'm expecting to get a real sense of what this TV can do when I get to replay some of my DVR content on it to compare the image to that of my Samsung.


Edited by vestaviascott - 7/5/13 at 8:22pm
post #2224 of 8753
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGonxAVS View Post




I'm in the exact same boat as you with my 80 inch. I start up screen looks the same as yours but everything looks okay when you're watching normal programming.

Still undecided myself on whether or not I should exchange this for another one. Some feedback from other 70 / 80 inch owners to see if they experience the same issue would be nice

How bad does this look to you guys. It only mostly happens on the start up screen. I say it is pretty bad, but since it only occurs here I am not sure I should take it back.



This is what it normally looks like. No LB/FL on the black banners.
post #2225 of 8753
Still trying to decide between the M801d and the new Sharp LC-80LE857U. The Sharp is active 3D but the glasses are blue tooth so they stay synced when you turn your head. One fellow said he thought the Sharp 80 was brighter and had better contrast. Any opnions?
post #2226 of 8753
M551D-A2R
so, I tried launching youtube this morning. It locked up my TV.
I had to unplug it. The FW is 1.06.6.1136

It also did this on 1.04 a few times. Most times the search didn't work and it just wouldn't launch, or would crash.

Has anyone else had this issue?
post #2227 of 8753
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGonxAVS View Post



How bad does this look to you guys. It only mostly happens on the start up screen. I say it is pretty bad, but since it only occurs here I am not sure I should take it back.



This is what it normally looks like. No LB/FL on the black banners.
I don't think that the start up screen has much if anything to do with the performance of the set while watching programming. I've seen at least one other person with a similar ugly start up screen that had zero impact on the performance of the set. If you are planning on just watching the start up screen you should take it back, but I think your chances of getting another set that's got an ugly start up screen are pretty good.
post #2228 of 8753
m801d

picture mode = GAME so everything is basically off

Used paint.net and created a bunch of 1920X1080 jpg's at different shades of grey. Stuck the images on a share that my wd tv live has access to. Looks fine to me.

Watched:
hobbit 3d
Life of Pi 3d
Wreckit Ralph 3d
Kids watched Rise of the Guardians 3d
Escape from planet earth 3d

I played about 6 hrs of call of duty black ops 2 yesterday. I tried one match in 3D and it worked well but definitely cannot play long periods like that. My K/D ratio is going up quite a bit. Part of it is probably how much easier it is to spot enemies on an 80" smile.gif

This TV beats the pants off my LG 55LW5600 which is my only other 3D TV.
Got my disney wow bluray in the other day. I just need to find the time to sit down and use the thing.

Has anybody else noticed the netflix app is only 2.0 sound wise (using HDMI ARC, set to bitstream)? amazon comes over in 5.1 but the few movies I tried on netflix was only 2.0. It's not a big deal to me b/c I have a wd tv live, 360, and ps3 hooked up to this TV so netflix is more than covered.

So far I love this TV. If you can afford it man 80" is rather glorious and makes my LG 55" look tiny now.
Edited by ARogan - 7/5/13 at 8:38am
post #2229 of 8753
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBubbleGuy View Post

I don't think that the start up screen has much if anything to do with the performance of the set while watching programming. I've seen at least one other person with a similar ugly start up screen that had zero impact on the performance of the set. If you are planning on just watching the start up screen you should take it back, but I think your chances of getting another set that's got an ugly start up screen are pretty good.

On mine you can definitely see it on a no input screen or credits rolling. The area around the white lettering are lit up
post #2230 of 8753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot410 View Post

On mine you can definitely see it on a no input screen or credits rolling. The area around the white lettering are lit up

Is that with smart dimming on? Blooming is a known issue with these sets when smart dimming is on and credits are rolling. It's a limitation of the technology and all of the TV's in this series will do that to an extent. If it's light bleed as you described with smart dimming off then I'd consider an exchange.
post #2231 of 8753
double post
Edited by GiantBubbleGuy - 7/5/13 at 8:40am
post #2232 of 8753
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGonxAVS View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontierajl View Post

Looks like the 55" I returned, except mine had light bleeding into the top left and middle bottom of the black bars. Does it look like that if you turn off smart dimming on an input screen or anything? Yours looks good with the show on.

I like smart dimming so I leave it on, but if I turn it off the difference is not too bad almost minimal on the black bars on widescreen movies.

Now, with Smart Dimming on the no signal bar shows up, but then there is also the lighting from either side with the top and bottom as dark as the abyss. I am trying to take a photo of it, but it wont show on either of my cameras nor cellphone. This is normal and it does not bother me too much.

With the shows on it looks quite good and with movies and widescreen bars are pretty damn dark. The only bad bleed is the damn start up screen. Almost makes want to take it back.
As long as it looks good when your watching shows I would say your good. My 55" had two bright spots that stayed no matter what and were extremely distracting while watching movies at night. Yours sounds like it looks great at night!
post #2233 of 8753
Does game mode get tweaked?
post #2234 of 8753
Stupid double post for who knows what reason!
post #2235 of 8753
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreneel View Post

Does game mode get tweaked?

I'm not sure what you mean. Could you be more specific? Game mode allows adjustments to image settings.
post #2236 of 8753
I just got the 65" and I must say I am extremely impressed with the picture quality. No light bleed, no blooming, I do see the dark edges as someone has posted earlier but very very minimal, like 1/8". When the TV is off it is really reflective, but once the TV is on I really don't notice it because the vivid colors really POP !! I had the ultimate test last night as i watched a few firework celebrations on tv and superb black levels for the night sky and no banding across the sky to illuminate the fireworks. I must have a really good set.

I have two very large bay windows right next to the TV and the front door is directly across from the TV. I would say I have moderately high brightness in the room. The 3D is stunning!!! My wife and I watched the Galapagos 3D movie from the YouTube app and was simply amazing. I don't have any experience with active 3D but the passive on this set is awesome. The one downside is the remote, it is very specific and needs to be pointed in the corner. I setup my harmony 900, works like a charm!

FYI I used Dr. Shankensteins calibration from page 19.

I highly recommend the 65", I know a few people have been scared to pull the trigger, but my experience with the TV is nothing short of spectacular.
post #2237 of 8753
Does game mode need to adjusted for the best input lag? Or is it ready the way it is? Cnet didn't get too specific with that they just said it was the best mode for input lag..
post #2238 of 8753
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreneel View Post

Does game mode need to adjusted for the best input lag? Or is it ready the way it is? Cnet didn't get too specific with that they just said it was the best mode for input lag..

To minimize lag you should make sure that all of the image "enhancements" in the advanced menu are turned off. Any processing done by the TV will probably introduce some lag.
post #2239 of 8753
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBubbleGuy View Post

To minimize lag you should make sure that all of the image "enhancements" in the advanced menu are turned off. Any processing done by the TV will probably introduce some lag.


Even smooth motion? Thanks
post #2240 of 8753
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreneel View Post

Even smooth motion? Thanks

I don't have any way to test lag, so I can't say for sure. I think that since smooth motion is inter-frame interpolation that it would probably cause some lag. I really can't tell you for sure though.
post #2241 of 8753
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreneel View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBubbleGuy View Post

To minimize lag you should make sure that all of the image "enhancements" in the advanced menu are turned off. Any processing done by the TV will probably introduce some lag.


Even smooth motion? Thanks
Especially smooth motion.
post #2242 of 8753
I can watch what my kid is doing in the kitchen behind me if the TV is showing a dark screen so that's all I will say on this subject. Edit since quote didn't work, this was for falconman comment to me on page 72.
post #2243 of 8753
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1022 View Post

I can watch what my kid is doing in the kitchen behind me if the TV is showing a dark screen so that's all I will say on this subject. Edit since quote didn't work, this was for falconman comment to me on page 72.

I have a 70 m series and a Samsung plasma and the the plasma is more reflective. There is a reflection on both panels given some ambient light but the Vizio is more subdued/muted and the Sammy is very mirror like.
post #2244 of 8753
I figures, the day I move (today) to the new house the friggin price goes up on the 70" -_____- Now I'm going to play the waiting game I guess until the price comes back down again. I'm stuck for a while now with my sons old 27" Westinghouse LCD....someone just shoot me :/
post #2245 of 8753
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascus View Post

I figures, the day I move (today) to the new house the friggin price goes up on the 70" -_____- Now I'm going to play the waiting game I guess until the price comes back down again. I'm stuck for a while now with my sons old 27" Westinghouse LCD....someone just shoot me :/
Still showing on sale at Costco. ygu4asy4.jpg
post #2246 of 8753
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBubbleGuy View Post

Is that with smart dimming on? Blooming is a known issue with these sets when smart dimming is on and credits are rolling. It's a limitation of the technology and all of the TV's in this series will do that to an extent. If it's light bleed as you described with smart dimming off then I'd consider an exchange.

Actually, now you have me wondering with my set. Definitely a little confused anyway.

For me the light bleed on a mostly black screen is far more obvious with the smart dimming off (as if all the lights around the set turned on full and any of those edges that had potential for bleed became exposed on that dark background -- but the white against black contrast is increased). With smart dimming on the only part of my screen that shows light is the object that is supposed to be lit while the edges remain mostly inky black. This however, makes some sense to me considering that smart dimming turns some lights off/dims and the less lights on/fully illuminated around the edge = the less the chances to have light visibly bleeding around those same edges.
post #2247 of 8753
Quote:
Originally Posted by backmeup View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBubbleGuy View Post

Is that with smart dimming on? Blooming is a known issue with these sets when smart dimming is on and credits are rolling. It's a limitation of the technology and all of the TV's in this series will do that to an extent. If it's light bleed as you described with smart dimming off then I'd consider an exchange.

Actually, now you have me wondering with my set. Definitely a little confused anyway.

For me the light bleed on a mostly black screen is far more obvious with the smart dimming off (as if all the lights around the set turned on full and any of those edges that had potential for bleed became exposed on that dark background -- but the white against black contrast is increased). With smart dimming on the only part of my screen that shows light is the object that is supposed to be lit while the edges remain mostly inky black. This however, makes some sense to me considering that smart dimming turns some lights off/dims and the less lights on/fully illuminated around the edge = the less the chances to have light visibly bleeding around those same edges.
Light bleed shows more with smart dimming off. Blooming occurs more with smart dimming on, on some of the sets at least, especially when it's a dark background with something white like credits rolling.
post #2248 of 8753
Quote:
Originally Posted by frontierajl View Post

Still showing on sale at Costco. ygu4asy4.jpg

I stand corrected! Was looking at Amazon and BB, totally forgot about Costco. Thanks for the heads up!
post #2249 of 8753
Quote:
Originally Posted by frontierajl View Post

Light bleed shows more with smart dimming off. Blooming occurs more with smart dimming on, on some of the sets at least, especially when it's a dark background with something white like credits rolling.

Same here. Worse with smart dimming off
post #2250 of 8753
Quote:
Originally Posted by frontierajl View Post

Light bleed shows more with smart dimming off. Blooming occurs more with smart dimming on, on some of the sets at least, especially when it's a dark background with something white like credits rolling.

That is the way I had always understood it, but Giantbubble's comments about returning the set if bleed occured a good bit with SD off made it sound like having SD off should decrease the bleeding and that just didn't match my experience (or what you just said).

Nice to not feel like my set is some strange exception.
Edited by backmeup - 7/5/13 at 8:00pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread