or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread - Page 120

post #3571 of 8756
I have uncharted 3. Going to give it a 2nd playthrough now smile.gif

Question for everyone; I have a 58" Samsung plasma bought in Jan 2007 hanging on the wall now. Planning on swapping it out with this 70" TV. The Plasma is 140lb so even though the new set is larger Im guessing the mount will be just fine because of the lighter weight of the Vizio TV.

Also I have an HDMI cable in my wall; should that be fine? Or is a 7 year old cable not going to support 3D? I run everything throughmy Onkyo HT-RC270 receiver.
post #3572 of 8756
Sorry for all the questions. Found my current TV mount, it's this one here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009JR45Q/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Will this be sufficient for a 70" TV? The new TV is I think around 90 lb and my current tv is like 140lb (plasma, 5" thick!)
post #3573 of 8756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parafly9 View Post

Interesting. It says it sort of supports it for the remote via

http://store.vizio.com/news/vizio-reveals-expanded-2013-hdtv-collection/?SID=eu2ghfv9mdm7denq5gbqi9a4e6

A new convenience feature for 2013, VIZIO’s M-Series models will include Wi-Fi Direct universal remote controls with backlit keys, providing an intuitive way to control the entire home theater without nagging codes and programming.

WiFi Direct and WiDi are different. WiDi is Intel's Wireless Display implementation. WiFi Direct is a set of protocols for devices to connect ad-hoc to one another.

As for Miracast, I remember the VP of marketing for Vizio saying in an interview at CES that Miracast was coming. As a side note, DIAL, DIscovert And Launch, is also coming. Not a miracast replacement, but more of a protocol to initiate play directly from the TV by sending the source to the TV.

After a second look, DIAL is partly how the chromecast works. It sends the TV a google play URL for your content and your TV plays it directly.

DIAL is also a big part of the second screen functionality coming later this summer we assume.
Edited by jptech - 8/6/13 at 7:30am
post #3574 of 8756
Also I have an HDMI cable in my wall; should that be fine? Or is a 7 year old cable not going to support 3D? I run everything throughmy Onkyo HT-RC270 receiver.[/quote]

Your old cable may not support 3D (HDMI 1.4)- technically it won't be spec'd for it, but I would try it before getting a new one- I had a 5 year old HDMI cable that passed 3D just fine. If not, Amazon has HDMI 1.4 cables in all lenghts cheap......http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_9?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=hdmi%201.4%20cable&sprefix=hdmi+1.4+%2Celectronics%2C208&rh=i%3Aelectronics%2Ck%3Ahdmi%201.4%20cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parafly9 View Post

Sorry for all the questions. Found my current TV mount, it's this one here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009JR45Q/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Will this be sufficient for a 70" TV? The new TV is I think around 90 lb and my current tv is like 140lb (plasma, 5" thick!)

That mount should work fine, since it is rated properly for the weight of the Vizio, and the mounting rails will fit the VESA hole pattern on the Vizio.
post #3575 of 8756
Quote:
Originally Posted by jptech View Post

WiFi Direct and WiDi are different. WiDi is Intel's Wireless Display implementation. WiFi Direct is a set of protocols for devices to connect ad-hoc to one another.

As for Miracast, I remember the VP of marketing for Vizio saying in an interview at CES that Miracast was coming. As a side note, DIAL, DIscovert And Launch, is also coming. Not a miracast replacement, but more of a protocol using WiFi direct over miracast.

Thanks. I thought Widi was short for Wifi Direct; and Miricast was a branded implementation of the same.
post #3576 of 8756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machead47 View Post

Hi guys, here is the response from my server support. I'll keep you posted.
Frank


Hi Frank,

I think that the problems for the Vizio are linked because we are not converting, the device is not seeing any files. COuld you put logging on high on the settings page and then browse to a folder from your Vizio that should contain files but, appears empty, then goto the settings page of TVMOBiLi press GET LOGS and mail over the logs and I will see if I can get a full vizio profile sorted for you.

Regards
Nathan

thank you, keep us posted indeed
post #3577 of 8756
Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoX860 View Post

I just bought the M401i-A3 from Amazon. I went to the Vizio site and noticed I could get an E Series 47 for just 50.00 more. After reading most of the thread it seems like people aren't big fan of the M Series. I'm personally not a fan of the Glossy screen. My question is is the M Series that much "better" or "worse" than the E Series? I'm trying to find a 1080p 120hz TV, and the M40 seems to fit the bill.

this is one of my previous posts comparing my experience with E and M series, it may help you



I returned the 65", I initially thought that 65 would enough and that 70" would be too big. First lesson learned, 5 extra inches makes a BIG difference and 70" is not too big, an improvement in size is fat better than a slight debatable improvement in quality.

I then had the 70" E series connected next to the M series, both connected to the same FiOS box and Blu-ray player (M701 TV on HDMI and the E701 one on Component).

Here are my findings after calibrating both TVs with WOW.
- Price deference between both TVs at Costco was 500$
- The M701 remote is terrible compared to the E701. The E701 does not have backlit, but it has a full keyboard on the back which is 10 times more useful than backlit. A few people complain about the poor signal of the M701 remote, the problem is not the remote but the M701 TV. Both remotes work on the M701 and I had problem with both remotes having to point directly at the left side of the M701. Both remotes work very well on the E701, even if pointing at the wall. Conclusion remote problem with the M701 is not eth remote but the TV IR reception.
- While the Keyboard remote of the E701 works on the M701, the keyboard only works with a few apps (yahoo, wifi setting etc)…the keyboard does not work with youtube, if you search youtube on the M701 with the E701 remote, you can only use the arrow part of the keyboard, this is a BIG problem for me, it takes forever.
- The aluminum side of the M701 is a matter of taste and room decor, in my case I found out that I like the aluminum at the store, but it looks terrible in my family room, the E701 looks better.
- The E701 has a much better back profile for cable management, I can stick the E701 to the wall, touching the wall, where as for M701 I have to leave ¼ of an inche for the cables between the TV and the wall.
- I did not see any real diference in apps speed due to the fact that the M701 as dual processor and E701 single process
- The E701 has skype and it works very well. The M701 does not have skype….that's a problem for me. You must try skype on the TV it is a completely different experience, much better than on a tablet or PC.
- The panel of the M701 is more reflective than the E701
- Now to the image quality with multiple settings.
o The M701 offers better blacks than the E701. However, that's only visible when watching the same program at the same time on the two different TV, otherwise the difference is so small that it is hard to tell . But indeed M701 has better blacks and appears sharper
- The 3D. Wow I watched avatar and the it looks awesome, the passive technology is great and no headaches. However, there is no 3d programing available:
o FIOS does not offer 3D
o Redbox does not offer 3d
o The streaming services in 3D are 720p and are still very expensive 7$ per movie
o The 3D blueray movies are very expensive
o Avatar was really good in 3D, but I also watched Topgun in 3D and it was terrible. Basically not all 3D movies are great 3D quality, only a few are.

My conclusions:
I returned the M701 and kept the E701, I wished the M701 was like the E701 but better and with 3D, unfortunately it is not.
- The lack of keyboard on the M701 is a problem, especially if you want to do searches on YouTube or other apps (netflix..)
- 3D is great, but it is just a widget to show friends one time, there is no 3D content that's good, easily available and not overly expensive
- There is no skype on the M701
- The aluminum design of the M701 is nice at eth store, but if you have a lot of wood in your room like I do it will not look good, anyway it is a mtter of taste. Plus the back M701 cannot completely touch the wall, it needs space for the cables.
- The image quality of the M701 is slightly better, but it is hard to tell. Not worth 500$ more and the lack of other features compared to eth E701, I will save 500$ now and upgrade to a better TV 3-4 years from now, maybe 4K.
post #3578 of 8756
Is Vizio planning on releasing a mobile app at some point?

Honestly, I never use the TV remote for anything. I use the Onkyo receiver for all switching and just leave the TV on the same input 100% of the time. I pretty much just my dish remote when watching TV or a Playstaiton fort he PS3.

Was planning on just using PS3 youtube since it's such a good experience, controlled via android phone. Or eventually when my Chromecast ships smile.gif
post #3579 of 8756
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbissell View Post

I'm sure Costco and BB run their sets in demo mode. However, most of the other brands were not even warm to the touch nor was noticeable heat emitting from the vents. If it had only been one Vizio M set then I would have considered it an anomaly. I wouldn't have even checked except for other comments here about very warm sets.

Yeah, I know, I was just being a little snarky. I know a few others have noticed excessive heat too. It's possible the aluminum strip may be acting as a heat sink (in which case the heat would be good), but it's doesn't seem to be a consistent "feature" for everyone.
post #3580 of 8756
So I turned the ( I forgot what it's actually called ) auto light adjustment to High and it completely got rid of the flashlighting. All in all this TV is great except for the dim strip of pixelsi have and the blooming is still there.
post #3581 of 8756
Quote:
Originally Posted by fperra View Post

How do you get the firmware updates? There is no option in the setup menu to check for an update. Does it just come through automatically? I have the 80" version.

Go into the system menu and I think it's the service sub menu where you can tell it to check for updates. I'm not near my tv, on vacation at the beach but it's in that menu
post #3582 of 8756
Quote:
Originally Posted by indept View Post

Go into the system menu and I think it's the service sub menu where you can tell it to check for updates. I'm not near my tv, on vacation at the beach but it's in that menu

False. There is no facility to check for FW updates on demand. Rumours abound about them being distributed by serial number or requested using the service check option, but neither have proven reliable and reproducible.,
post #3583 of 8756
Hey guys for 3D on the 70" model it says recommended distance is 9', with a range of 8-12'. My couch, or where my head is, is about 15' from the TV. Will I still be OK or will the 3d effect suck?

The 80" was just out of my price range.
post #3584 of 8756
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdchance View Post

False. There is no facility to check for FW updates on demand. Rumours abound about them being distributed by serial number or requested using the service check option, but neither have proven reliable and reproducible.,

It's "request service" if I recall, as I said I'm not at my TV to verify but there is that option to select & quite often it updates in a day or so, there have been numerous posts in this forum about it, granted, it's not instant but it does seem to work
post #3585 of 8756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parafly9 View Post

Hey guys for 3D on the 70" model it says recommended distance is 9', with a range of 8-12'. My couch, or where my head is, is about 15' from the TV. Will I still be OK or will the 3d effect suck?

The 80" was just out of my price range.

I am at about 13 ft. from my 70", and the 3D is stunning at that distance. Moving closer to the screen does not, to me at least, make the 3D pop out any more, or give better depth perception. Also, the side angle 3D viewing on this set is pretty good too. You have to sit at a wider angle than most people normally view TV, in order to make the 3D fall apart.
post #3586 of 8756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlandy View Post

I am at about 13 ft. from my 70", and the 3D is stunning at that distance. Moving closer to the screen does not, to me at least, make the 3D pop out any more, or give better depth perception. Also, the side angle 3D viewing on this set is pretty good too. You have to sit at a wider angle than most people normally view TV, in order to make the 3D fall apart.

+1......I sit 13 feet away as well. I agree 100% with everything Jonlandy said.....
post #3587 of 8756
Quote:
Originally Posted by indept View Post

It's "request service" if I recall, as I said I'm not at my TV to verify but there is that option to select & quite often it updates in a day or so, there have been numerous posts in this forum about it, granted, it's not instant but it does seem to work

I think it's pretty hit or miss. Going in there an requesting a service check cant hurt though.
post #3588 of 8756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parafly9 View Post

Hey guys for 3D on the 70" model it says recommended distance is 9', with a range of 8-12'. My couch, or where my head is, is about 15' from the TV. Will I still be OK or will the 3d effect suck?

The 80" was just out of my price range.

I sit about 8.5 feet from my 70" Vizio and think its perfect with no issues. In fact with the screen being so large and sitting closer I really have more of an immersive experience smile.gif
post #3589 of 8756
Try this:

http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ideal_lume.htm

I am pretty happy with it.
post #3590 of 8756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parafly9 View Post

Anyone backlight their TV? I have four hockey puck lights that change color that I picked up from IKEA a long time ago but they are too small even for the 58" TV I have now. Thinking of switching to some LED strip lighting, but I'd love to control it from my phone. Phillips just released HUE strips but havent' seen them available yet. Amazon sells LED with mutlicolor controller for very cheap.
post #3591 of 8756
Anyone use a Spyder4 to calibrate their displays? I have one for my PC and just odred the TV upgrade kit for $60.
post #3592 of 8756
Thanks for the idealume, I"ll check it out. I like the RBG ones for the cool mood you can set but I can get that it can F*(& up the color of the image too, I"m probably not as picky as some of you guys surely are )
post #3593 of 8756
Hi all. I ditched the LG 55LA6200 (and its replacement) for the M551d.

So far, the bloom of smart dimming seems like more than a fair trade for the ridiculous clouding and light bleed of the LGs.

I look forward to joining the discussion in here. As usual at AVS, everyone seems pretty gracious and helpful.
Edited by hauz20 - 8/7/13 at 6:04am
post #3594 of 8756
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by hauz20 View Post

Hi all. I ditched the LG 55LA5200 (and its replacement) for the M551d.

So far, the bloom of smart dimming seems like more than a fair trade for the ridiculous clouding and light bleed of the LGs.

I look forward to joining the discussion in here. As usual at AVS, everyone seems pretty gracious and helpful.

Do you only get blooming when smart dimming is on ? I get it all the time. I agree, it is still better than flashlighting and clouding which can completely ruin a movies dark scenes.
post #3595 of 8756
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexHarrison View Post

I
Do you only get blooming when smart dimming is on ? I get it all the time. I agree, it is still better than flashlighting and clouding which can completely ruin a movies dark scenes.

I have mine set to ON. Didn't notice any blooming or it's not bad enough to the point that it ruins my viewing. And I've looked hard. Tried movies via directv, netflix, and amazon prime, that have many dark scenes(ie. TDKR, Avengers, Sherlock Holmes GOS, etc) no blu-ray, as I never felt the need for a collection.
Albeit, I'm not what you would call a videphile, but I am a big movie buff and like to be engulfed into a film.
post #3596 of 8756
To be honest, I've only had the set a few hours. Checked out Prometheus in 2&3D. I've only had smart dimming on thus far. The blooming is noticeable, but only because I'm looking for it. It's not bad, though.

I'll check it out without the SD soon, although I've heard that can increase light bleed ... I'm scared to even see a tiny bit of that after the LGs, ha ha.
post #3597 of 8756
Quote:
Originally Posted by hauz20 View Post

To be honest, I've only had the set a few hours. Checked out Prometheus in 2&3D. I've only had smart dimming on thus far. The blooming is noticeable, but only because I'm looking for it. It's not bad, though.

I'll check it out without the SD soon, although I've heard that can increase light bleed ... I'm scared to even see a tiny bit of that after the LGs, ha ha.

I watch a lot of SD movies from the 30's 40's and 50's, which is the main reason I don't go plasma, they say IR and burn in aren't an issue anymore which is complete BS. I was in Frys the other day checking out an ST60 that was running the "pixel cleanser" because there was a DVD menu that burned into the screen. This forum is full of guys getting IR on their new Plasmas, and others who are afraid to watch their TV's or play games on it for fear of breaking in their pixels incorrectly. Also if I had to break in my tv for 100 hours before watching old movies or playing videos games for extended periods, it would take me well past my return period for a lot of stores including BB. I realize no TV is perfect but I'm having a real hard time finding a TV that can outperform my 5 year old Samsung and it's beyond frustrating. You'd think after almost a decade of flat panels that the technology (plasma and LCD) would be a little less crappy especially before they start trying to sell us the "next big thing" 4k. End/rant

Anyways, back to my point, I watch a ton of Golden Age movies and flashlighting is not a problem at all. I did have some slight flashlighting but I turned the "auto brightness adjuster" ( I'm not sure what its actually called, I'm not home now so I can't check) to high and it completely got rid of flashlighting.
post #3598 of 8756
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexHarrison View Post

I watch a lot of SD movies from the 30's 40's and 50's, which is the main reason I don't go plasma, they say IR and burn in aren't an issue anymore which is complete BS. I was in Frys the other day checking out an ST60 that was running the "pixel cleanser" because there was a DVD menu that burned into the screen. This forum is full of guys getting IR on their new Plasmas, and others who are afraid to watch their TV's or play games on it for fear of breaking in their pixels incorrectly. Also if I had to break in my tv for 100 hours before watching old movies or playing videos games for extended periods, it would take me well past my return period for a lot of stores including BB. I realize no TV is perfect but I'm having a real hard time finding a TV that can outperform my 5 year old Samsung and it's beyond frustrating. You'd think after almost a decade of flat panels that the technology (plasma and LCD) would be a little less crappy especially before they start trying to sell us the "next big thing" 4k. End/rant

Anyways, back to my point, I watch a ton of Golden Age movies and flashlighting is not a problem at all. I did have some slight flashlighting but I turned the "auto brightness adjuster" ( I'm not sure what its actually called, I'm not home now so I can't check) to high and it completely got rid of flashlighting.

I have had my Samsung fpt5884 plasma for seven years and have left game screens on for a full day before and have zero burn in. Some temporary image retention but it always goes away.
post #3599 of 8756
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexHarrison View Post

I watch a lot of SD movies from the 30's 40's and 50's, which is the main reason I don't go plasma, they say IR and burn in aren't an issue anymore which is complete BS. I was in Frys the other day checking out an ST60 that was running the "pixel cleanser" because there was a DVD menu that burned into the screen. This forum is full of guys getting IR on their new Plasmas, and others who are afraid to watch their TV's or play games on it for fear of breaking in their pixels incorrectly. Also if I had to break in my tv for 100 hours before watching old movies or playing videos games for extended periods, it would take me well past my return period for a lot of stores including BB. I realize no TV is perfect but I'm having a real hard time finding a TV that can outperform my 5 year old Samsung and it's beyond frustrating. You'd think after almost a decade of flat panels that the technology (plasma and LCD) would be a little less crappy especially before they start trying to sell us the "next big thing" 4k. End/rant

Anyways, back to my point, I watch a ton of Golden Age movies and flashlighting is not a problem at all. I did have some slight flashlighting but I turned the "auto brightness adjuster" ( I'm not sure what its actually called, I'm not home now so I can't check) to high and it completely got rid of flashlighting.

"...it would take me well past my return period..."

You run a loop back video over 4 days (or however you want to break out blocks of time) if you want to break in the pixels evenly.
The concern for image retention would be static images such as channel logos and score tickers, not the side black bars which I assuming is your concern from watching SD movies.
post #3600 of 8756
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post

"...it would take me well past my return period..."


You run a loop back video over 4 days (or however you want to break out blocks of time) if you want to break in the pixels evenly.
The concern for image retention would be static images such as channel logos and score tickers, not the side black bars which I assuming is your concern from watching SD movies.

I've seen IR from 4x3 bars before. Also considering almost every channel has a logo, almost every game has a HUD , and I like watching sports which all tend to have tickers and scoreboards going at all times, I'd drive myself crazy with a plasma.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread