Originally Posted by EchoX860
I just bought the M401i-A3 from Amazon. I went to the Vizio site and noticed I could get an E Series 47 for just 50.00 more. After reading most of the thread it seems like people aren't big fan of the M Series. I'm personally not a fan of the Glossy screen. My question is is the M Series that much "better" or "worse" than the E Series? I'm trying to find a 1080p 120hz TV, and the M40 seems to fit the bill.
this is one of my previous posts comparing my experience with E and M series, it may help you
I returned the 65", I initially thought that 65 would enough and that 70" would be too big. First lesson learned, 5 extra inches makes a BIG difference and 70" is not too big, an improvement in size is fat better than a slight debatable improvement in quality.
I then had the 70" E series connected next to the M series, both connected to the same FiOS box and Blu-ray player (M701 TV on HDMI and the E701 one on Component).
Here are my findings after calibrating both TVs with WOW.
- Price deference between both TVs at Costco was 500$
- The M701 remote is terrible compared to the E701. The E701 does not have backlit, but it has a full keyboard on the back which is 10 times more useful than backlit. A few people complain about the poor signal of the M701 remote, the problem is not the remote but the M701 TV. Both remotes work on the M701 and I had problem with both remotes having to point directly at the left side of the M701. Both remotes work very well on the E701, even if pointing at the wall. Conclusion remote problem with the M701 is not eth remote but the TV IR reception.
- While the Keyboard remote of the E701 works on the M701, the keyboard only works with a few apps (yahoo, wifi setting etc)…the keyboard does not work with youtube, if you search youtube on the M701 with the E701 remote, you can only use the arrow part of the keyboard, this is a BIG problem for me, it takes forever.
- The aluminum side of the M701 is a matter of taste and room decor, in my case I found out that I like the aluminum at the store, but it looks terrible in my family room, the E701 looks better.
- The E701 has a much better back profile for cable management, I can stick the E701 to the wall, touching the wall, where as for M701 I have to leave ¼ of an inche for the cables between the TV and the wall.
- I did not see any real diference in apps speed due to the fact that the M701 as dual processor and E701 single process
- The E701 has skype and it works very well. The M701 does not have skype….that's a problem for me. You must try skype on the TV it is a completely different experience, much better than on a tablet or PC.
- The panel of the M701 is more reflective than the E701
- Now to the image quality with multiple settings.
o The M701 offers better blacks than the E701. However, that's only visible when watching the same program at the same time on the two different TV, otherwise the difference is so small that it is hard to tell . But indeed M701 has better blacks and appears sharper
- The 3D. Wow I watched avatar and the it looks awesome, the passive technology is great and no headaches. However, there is no 3d programing available:
o FIOS does not offer 3D
o Redbox does not offer 3d
o The streaming services in 3D are 720p and are still very expensive 7$ per movie
o The 3D blueray movies are very expensive
o Avatar was really good in 3D, but I also watched Topgun in 3D and it was terrible. Basically not all 3D movies are great 3D quality, only a few are.
I returned the M701 and kept the E701, I wished the M701 was like the E701 but better and with 3D, unfortunately it is not.
- The lack of keyboard on the M701 is a problem, especially if you want to do searches on YouTube or other apps (netflix..)
- 3D is great, but it is just a widget to show friends one time, there is no 3D content that's good, easily available and not overly expensive
- There is no skype on the M701
- The aluminum design of the M701 is nice at eth store, but if you have a lot of wood in your room like I do it will not look good, anyway it is a mtter of taste. Plus the back M701 cannot completely touch the wall, it needs space for the cables.
- The image quality of the M701 is slightly better, but it is hard to tell. Not worth 500$ more and the lack of other features compared to eth E701, I will save 500$ now and upgrade to a better TV 3-4 years from now, maybe 4K.