or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread - Page 147

post #4381 of 8787
I mentioned this back when I bought my TV and tried out numerous media servers. The TV will NOT play MKV files at all, whether you put them on a thumb drive and plug it into the television, or you stream one over something like XBMC, Plex, PS3 Media Server, etc...
post #4382 of 8787
I was about to ask a question about 3D and I see that there has already been some discussion.

I haven’t researched the subject of M-Series 3D resolution, but I’ve spent some time looking at XF3D on Comcast (side-by-side) and it doesn’t look very sharp to me. For a source like that I don’t know how much resolution you’re giving up… a factor of 2 horizontally because each side has half of 1920 or a factor of 4 because you’re also looking at alternating lines vertically (half of 1080 each eye)? How about Blu-ray… are those a full 1920 horizontal with alternating polarization?
post #4383 of 8787
I was going to do this experiment (close-up w/o glasses vs. close-up through one lens of the glasses) but someone already did it:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57437344-221/active-3d-vs-passive-3d-whats-better/
post #4384 of 8787
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronh36 View Post

I was going to do this experiment (close-up w/o glasses vs. close-up through one lens of the glasses) but someone already did it:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57437344-221/active-3d-vs-passive-3d-whats-better/


Yes but the one main draw back of Active, is try tilting you head at an angle. The screen gets dim very quickly, Unless you sit perfectly centered with good posture upright.
Passive wins hands down because you can sit or lay or slouch any way you want. And if you can spot the difference in 3D at a 6 foot or 7 foot distance then congrats Superman.
post #4385 of 8787
Quote:
Originally Posted by waylo88 View Post

I mentioned this back when I bought my TV and tried out numerous media servers. The TV will NOT play MKV files at all, whether you put them on a thumb drive and plug it into the television, or you stream one over something like XBMC, Plex, PS3 Media Server, etc...

I was playing plenty of movies (MKV, MP4, AVI, etc....) over XBMC from PC to the TV via HDMI. All that is required is an HDMI cable and a pc/laptop/whatever. Using my iphone as a remote to control it all. This includes 3D & 2D videos. Maybe your settings were off?

Also, i was playing 3d/2d MKV movies using windows media player classic.

Maybe you meant to say wireless streaming instead of streaming in general?
post #4386 of 8787
Question I just ordered the 50 inch Mseries model as a test. I am considering the Samsung F8000 series if the Vizio does not work out. From pro reviews like CNET the Samsung F8000 series provides 1200 lines of moving resolution. With and without Motion smoothing.
OK the Mseries Vizio M501d provides only 320 lines of motion resolution with motion smoothing off but 850 lines with motion smoothing on.

What does that all mean ? I have vauge idea. And how would that all affect gaming or motion blur which Motion smoothing needs to be turned off for gaming. Does the Vizio have separate de-blur and de-judder settings ?

How does it all relate to let's say NBA games or fast moving NASCAR ?
post #4387 of 8787
Quote:
Originally Posted by guppysb View Post

I was playing plenty of movies (MKV, MP4, AVI, etc....) over XBMC from PC to the TV via HDMI. All that is required is an HDMI cable and a pc/laptop/whatever. Using my iphone as a remote to control it all. This includes 3D & 2D videos. Maybe your settings were off?

Also, i was playing 3d/2d MKV movies using windows media player classic.

Maybe you meant to say wireless streaming instead of streaming in general?

I think the difference is that in your case, your PC is actually playing the file. When you use a USB drive plugged into the TV or stream it with a media server, the TV is playing the file, and apparently, the TV has a problem with MKV.
post #4388 of 8787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post

Yes but the one main draw back of Active, is try tilting you head at an angle. The screen gets dim very quickly, Unless you sit perfectly centered with good posture upright.
Passive wins hands down because you can sit or lay or slouch any way you want. And if you can spot the difference in 3D at a 6 foot or 7 foot distance then congrats Superman.

One of the reasons I chose the M-Series is passive 3D… the active 3D looked like it had some flicker to it in the stores under fluorescent lights. And I liked the idea of the inexpensive glasses. I don’t know anything about the active LCD shutter viewing angle issue, I imagine that would vary from one manufacturer to another. LCDs on TVs seem to have a wide viewing angle these days.

On the vertical resolution, I’ve assumed that each eye sees half of 1080 but your brain combines them (i.e. the entire 1080 is there but it depends on how your brain processes it.) In the side-by-side 3D I would think you’re giving up a factor of 2 in horizontal resolution. At a viewing distance where you can fully resolve 1080p (9 feet for a 70”) that should be noticeable.
post #4389 of 8787
I've been researching 32" smart tv's for a bedroom, and was all set to pick up a Vizio M321i (based on some very good reviews) when the local Best Buy salesman suggested that the Samsung UN32F5500 would be a much better choice (based on his overall brand preference). Both are just about the same price, but the Vizio has 120hz refresh rate and local dimming, while the Samsung has 60hz, and no local dimming (as far as I know).

I'm just wondering if the refresh rate difference is an important issue for a 32" tv. Also, has anyone had had an opportunity to compare these similar models?
post #4390 of 8787
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronh36 View Post

I was about to ask a question about 3D and I see that there has already been some discussion.

I haven’t researched the subject of M-Series 3D resolution, but I’ve spent some time looking at XF3D on Comcast (side-by-side) and it doesn’t look very sharp to me. For a source like that I don’t know how much resolution you’re giving up… a factor of 2 horizontally because each side has half of 1920 or a factor of 4 because you’re also looking at alternating lines vertically (half of 1080 each eye)? How about Blu-ray… are those a full 1920 horizontal with alternating polarization?

You might want to read this article from Displaymate:

http://www.displaymate.com/3D_TV_ShootOut_1.htm

"Sharpness and Resolution with FPR Passive Glasses

By far the most controversial and misunderstood issue in 3D TV currently has to do with the sharpness and resolution delivered with Passive Glasses. Because they split the odd and even lines between the right and left eyes it’s easy to see why many people (and some reviewers) conclude that FPR technology delivers only half of the HD resolution. Although unsubstantiated it still seems to have evolved into some sort of myth based on hearsay instead of actual scientific visual evaluation. Many people seem to get stuck on this particular issue and can’t get beyond it and think about what is really being seen in actual 3D vision."

"Furthermore, in all cases the small text was actually sharper and easier to read and fine details easier to resolve on the FPR Passive Glasses than on the Active Glasses because of the Crosstalk, ghosting and Response Time issues that reduce 3D image sharpness and 3D contrast in Active Glasses TVs. We also compared the small text 3D visual sharpness to the 2D sharpness by repeatedly turning the 3D mode on and off for each of the TVs and watching in 3D with glasses and then 2D without glasses. In all cases the images were sharper in 2D than in 3D, but the differences were much smaller with the FPR TVs than with the TVs with Active Shutter Glasses. In fact, the small text 3D visual sharpness on the FPR TVs were only slightly less than in 2D, reinforcing our conclusion that the Passive Glasses deliver 3D Image Fusion with full 3D 1080p resolution and are visually sharper in 3D than Active Glasses because of the Crosstalk, ghosting and Response Time issues mentioned above. We show below that it’s easy enough for anyone to check these results at home by repeating the visual tests listed in Table 4."
post #4391 of 8787
I've had no problem playing MKV files from a thumb drive. Simply change the extension to MP4, and you should be good to go (at least that's my experience).
post #4392 of 8787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post

Yes but the one main draw back of Active, is try tilting you head at an angle. The screen gets dim very quickly, Unless you sit perfectly centered with good posture upright.
Passive wins hands down because you can sit or lay or slouch any way you want. And if you can spot the difference in 3D at a 6 foot or 7 foot distance then congrats Superman.

This is true for most active 3d tv's, but not the newer Sharp tv's which use active 3d glasses that are bluetooth. You can move your head around with no issues.
post #4393 of 8787
Quote:
Originally Posted by guppysb View Post

I was playing plenty of movies (MKV, MP4, AVI, etc....) over XBMC from PC to the TV via HDMI. All that is required is an HDMI cable and a pc/laptop/whatever. Using my iphone as a remote to control it all. This includes 3D & 2D videos. Maybe your settings were off?

Also, i was playing 3d/2d MKV movies using windows media player classic.

Maybe you meant to say wireless streaming instead of streaming in general?

Well yeah, obviously if you have a PC connected to the TV MKV's will work as your PC is whats doing the transcoding. What you're doing is not streaming. It's the same thing as hooking up a DVD or Blu-Ray player. When you do that you dont say you're streaming a DVD do you?

When I said streaming, that's exactly what I meant. If you stream the content to the television it will NOT play MKV's.
post #4394 of 8787
Quote:
Originally Posted by waylo88 View Post

Well yeah, obviously if you have a PC connected to the TV MKV's will work as your PC is whats doing the transcoding. What you're doing is not streaming. It's the same thing as hooking up a DVD or Blu-Ray player. When you do that you dont say you're streaming a DVD do you?

When I said streaming, that's exactly what I meant. If you stream the content to the television it will NOT play MKV's.
And to be a bit more specific, I would add that means to copy a movie to a USB stick and plug it directly into the TV. I can confirm it won't natively play .mkv files but renaming to .mp4 files as stated will work. The Vizio will also play .mpg, .m2ts and .avi files among others. Pretty good sort of undocumented feature of these MSeries.
post #4395 of 8787
Hope this is not too dumb a question...

If I don't want the Soap Opera Effect, and I turn off the smooth motion option (or whatever Vizio calls it), is the refresh rate still 120hz.? I generally don't like how these "smoothing" features work, so I'm wondering if turning it off will make fast action scenes look jittery. I guess another way to ask this question is that if you plan to keep the smooth motion feature off, would this 120hz. tv perform any better than if it was a 60hz. tv?

Sorry...I'm new to all of this...but very willing to learn.
post #4396 of 8787
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcab17 View Post

Hope this is not too dumb a question...

If I don't want the Soap Opera Effect, and I turn off the smooth motion option (or whatever Vizio calls it), is the refresh rate still 120hz.? I generally don't like how these "smoothing" features work, so I'm wondering if turning it off will make fast action scenes look jittery. I guess another way to ask this question is that if you plan to keep the smooth motion feature off, would this 120hz. tv perform any better than if it was a 60hz. tv?

Sorry...I'm new to all of this...but very willing to learn.

The Vizio is a native 120 HZ panel. That means it is always refreshing at 120HZ unless you turn on smooth motion. Game mode will allow 240 HZ without the soap opera effect. I haven't noticed much of a difference between 120 HZ and 240HZ....

Ursa
post #4397 of 8787
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa99 View Post

The Vizio is a native 120 HZ panel. That means it is always refreshing at 120HZ unless you turn on smooth motion. Game mode will allow 240 HZ without the soap opera effect. I haven't noticed much of a difference between 120 HZ and 240HZ....

Ursa

Thanks for the explanation. Are you saying that you use Game Mode for "normal" tv watching (cable, sat, fios)?
post #4398 of 8787
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcab17 View Post

Thanks for the explanation. Are you saying that you use Game Mode for "normal" tv watching (cable, sat, fios)?
I sometimes use it. I also use standard mode. I don't see much difference between them since I don't use the defaults they are originally set at. I usually pick one set of adjustments I like and then use that mode...It can be exhausting trying to tune every picture for Sports vs movies vs live TV vs filmed sitcoms etc. To many adjustments can detract from the actual use of the TV IMHO. I like to find what settings I like and stick with it, but that's just me.

Ursa
post #4399 of 8787
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa99 View Post

I sometimes use it. I also use standard mode. I don't see much difference between them since I don't use the defaults they are originally set at. I usually pick one set of adjustments I like and then use that mode...It can be exhausting trying to tune every picture for Sports vs movies vs live TV vs filmed sitcoms etc. To many adjustments can detract from the actual use of the TV IMHO. I like to find what settings I like and stick with it, but that's just me.

Ursa

Same here, I liked the way calibrated looked so I set all inputs to that except for PS3 input I have it set to game mode and changed the settings to match calibrated for when I watch a blu ray on the ps3. Everything including games looks fantastic.
post #4400 of 8787
Question, Because I am self educating and learning about this new M Series which is due to arrive Saturday. Its advertised as a 240hz Panel But its Not its only 120hz then with eye trickery or back light flashing or pulsing (can you say headaches) somehow that tricks us into getting 240hz. Why is that ? Why do some like the Samsung F8000 series have an actual 240hz Panel. And Why Does the Vizio only have 320 Lines of Motion Resolution 800 when motion smoothing is On (which makes Input Lag jump to 120ms)


On a side Note, aren't all the 4K TV's just a scam now because the current HDMI Spec does not support 4K resolution at anything beyond 30 hz so like current LCD's at 60hz faking 120hz or LCD's at 120hz faking 240hz what gives?


Does the Vizio (possible deal breaker here) have independent De-Blur and De-Judder settings or are we back in 2004 ? with just one setting ?

I'm still going to give the M Series a try out and benefit of the doubt Not everyone raving about it can be wrong and CNET is pretty strict, and gave it a very good review. I imagine that Consumer Reports will name it Top LCD. But I need to know that If I'm paying for a TV to watch motion pictures I'm getting my Motion with My Picture because 320 Lines of moving resolution, you might as well not even buy an HDTV for that.
post #4401 of 8787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post

Question, Because I am self educating and learning about this new M Series which is due to arrive Saturday. Its advertised as a 240hz Panel But its Not its only 120hz then with eye trickery or back light flashing or pulsing (can you say headaches) somehow that tricks us into getting 240hz. Why is that ? Why do some like the Samsung F8000 series have an actual 240hz Panel. And Why Does the Vizio only have 320 Lines of Motion Resolution 800 when motion smoothing is On (which makes Input Lag jump to 120ms)


On a side Note, aren't all the 4K TV's just a scam now because the current HDMI Spec does not support 4K resolution at anything beyond 30 hz so like current LCD's at 60hz faking 120hz or LCD's at 120hz faking 240hz what gives?


Does the Vizio (possible deal breaker here) have independent De-Blur and De-Judder settings or are we back in 2004 ? with just one setting ?

I'm still going to give the M Series a try out and benefit of the doubt Not everyone raving about it can be wrong and CNET is pretty strict, and gave it a very good review. I imagine that Consumer Reports will name it Top LCD. But I need to know that If I'm paying for a TV to watch motion pictures I'm getting my Motion with My Picture because 320 Lines of moving resolution, you might as well not even buy an HDTV for that.

It'll be fine. Just try it out, don't give yourself a heart attack. HDMI 2.0 is out now. At least Sony has said that the 4K tv's they've already sold can be upgraded to 2.0 with a firmware update. 4K is still a scam though. No content, our current content doesn't even reach 1080p tv's potential. The only thing that even comes close is BluRay. Sure it can up convert, big F'ing deal. Cable only broadcasts @1080i
post #4402 of 8787
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa99 View Post

I sometimes use it. I also use standard mode. I don't see much difference between them since I don't use the defaults they are originally set at. I usually pick one set of adjustments I like and then use that mode...It can be exhausting trying to tune every picture for Sports vs movies vs live TV vs filmed sitcoms etc. To many adjustments can detract from the actual use of the TV IMHO. I like to find what settings I like and stick with it, but that's just me.

Ursa

Would you mind providing a link to the post in which you have listed your settings?
post #4403 of 8787
I will be setting up the 32" model for my son's apartment. Here's my plan:

I will have a very small window of time at his apartment, so I'm thinking that I would set up the tv at my house when it arrives...tweak the picture settings, set up Netflix with my account, etc. Then, when I bring the tv to his apartment I'll do some hopefully minor setting adjustments in the little time I'll have in his room.

However, since I'll be going through the initial setup at my house, connecting the tv to my wifi network, will this create any problems when I take the tv to my son's apartment and try to connect it to his wifi network? Will I have to go through the entire "initial setup process" again?
post #4404 of 8787
Just bought the M701d-A3 yesterday, spent a few hours playing with it last night. Pretty sure I like it, but not sold 100% yet. No glaring issues out of the box.

One quick question: Are the picture settings saved for each input (specifically each HDMI input), or are the settings universal to the TV? One of the nice things on my Sony SXRD is that each HDMI input saves its own settings, so there could be one setup for TV watching, and another for games. It appears to me so for that the settings are universal on the Vizio, but I might be missing something (which isn't unusual).

Thanks!
post #4405 of 8787
Quote:
Originally Posted by boucaner View Post


One quick question: Are the picture settings saved for each input (specifically each HDMI input), or are the settings universal to the TV? One of the nice things on my Sony SXRD is that each HDMI input saves its own settings, so there could be one setup for TV watching, and another for games. It appears to me so for that the settings are universal on the Vizio, but I might be missing something (which isn't unusual).

Thanks!
Settings are for each individual input (all inputs can be set independently).
post #4406 of 8787
Just wondering, but has anyone with the 50" gotten an update lately?
post #4407 of 8787
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcab17 View Post

Would you mind providing a link to the post in which you have listed your settings?
Here you go: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1452199/official-vizio-m-series-razor-mxx1i-thread/2550#post_23518914

RGB Color balance is correct. The other settings are my preferences. You should adjust those to your preferences
post #4408 of 8787
Anyone have any recommendations for calibrated video settings for game mode? I found that copying them for calibrated dark was too dim when using my Wii U (which only can output limited RGB, which may matter). Let me know if anyone knows a good way to calibrate game mode...

So far I like the TV a great deal.
post #4409 of 8787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padinn View Post

Anyone have any recommendations for calibrated video settings for game mode? I found that copying them for calibrated dark was too dim when using my Wii U (which only can output limited RGB, which may matter). Let me know if anyone knows a good way to calibrate game mode...

So far I like the TV a great deal.

Hows Wii u Gaming ? any deal breakers like color trailing or color ghosting behind MArio as he runs super fast across the screen ?
post #4410 of 8787
Also any word on the Second Production Run or Second Gen of the M501d-A2R, production channels are Dry, my buddy works for Costco logistics and ordering and the M501d-A2R will soon be on Backorder. Amazon.com says 1 or 2 months for unit. And my order thanks to my good friend who is a best buy manager says that the channel is dry for the M501d-A2R.units are being moved out of stores with supply to other stores So they are selling out fast. He says that my unit is part of what the VIZIO rep told him was the Second production run of the M Series because first generation models or the first production run has panels with DSE, and slower refresh rates. At least I am glad to be getting a second production run panel or version of the M501d-A2R, now that they ironed out all the glitches.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread