or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread - Page 177

post #5281 of 8836
Quote:
Originally Posted by l33tmeatwad View Post

I can confirm that they do work, in fact I used my remote from my old TV to run the setup because it has the keyboard on the back, lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterNincompoop View Post


Middleton -

Not true...

The IR sensor being placed in the precarious location that it is was necessary to keep the bezel design as thin as it is. The poor remote functionality is exacerbated by the fact that the remote has a narrow IR blast so it has to be pointed directly at the sensor - the Harmony works better as it has a much wider IR blast. This was all to be a moot point and temporary as they have always intended the remote to be upgraded via firmware to function thru the wifi connection. I was told it is still coming and will not negate the IR sensors functionality so one can still use thier harmony remote etc if they choose to after the firmware upgrade. So no - this wasn't something that wasn't thought thru and somehow equating to other things not being thought through. Instead, its more a matter of Vizio not delivering the firmware upgrade as soon as they indicated.

Sony makes an inexpensive universal remote with a very wide IR blast. It actually has 3 IR senders in it.
post #5282 of 8836
OK I don't know this is an issue with my m601, my receiver or settings between the 2.. While watching a hockey game a few days ago I noticed that when the camera is panning left to right, RIGHT TO LEFT, Etc. It looks choppy... Its subtle, but the motion Judders a little and its bugging me... I don't ever notice it before, so either it was the channel or the new receiver...

I'm using ursas "game " setting and tried to change the smooth motion, I went thru all settings and the picture still wasn't smooth while the camera was panning.
post #5283 of 8836
Oh the receiver is a Sony dn840
post #5284 of 8836
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a 70" from Costco. The price is good, they have a 90 day return policy, they extend the warranty out to two years, and I can get a SquareTrade warranty for an additional 3 years for $99.

From some posts I've read, I'm a little concerned about the screen reflectivity, this will be in a bright room. But it seems it's the 65" that suffers from that the most. I'm not that concerned about the poor remote, my Sony universal remote has a very wide IR blast.

Any additional comments appreciated before I take the plunge.
post #5285 of 8836
The screen is not all that bad compared to most other tvs. For me the light bleed is more of an issue than anything else but the price is very good and the picture is excellent. I really only notice the LB on very dark scenes in a totally dark room so it is not a deal breaker. I have had 3 of these tvs and they all exhibit this problem to some extent. Maybe all edge lit panels do. The remote is not great but it is better than the one that came with my Sony BD player, that one is barely usable. I heard from a tech as recently as a couple of weeks ago that Vizio is still planning to send a FW upgrade for the remote, we have been hearing this for several months.
post #5286 of 8836
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtl46 View Post

The screen is not all that bad compared to most other tvs. For me the light bleed is more of an issue than anything else but the price is very good and the picture is excellent. I really only notice the LB on very dark scenes in a totally dark room so it is not a deal breaker. I have had 3 of these tvs and they all exhibit this problem to some extent. Maybe all edge lit panels do. The remote is not great but it is better than the one that came with my Sony BD player, that one is barely usable. I heard from a tech as recently as a couple of weeks ago that Vizio is still planning to send a FW upgrade for the remote, we have been hearing this for several months.

I believe most/all edge lit panels do suffer from the light bleed problem to a certain extent, I'm sure some are worse than others. I assume you were referring to the reflectivity when you said the screen is not that bad. My inexpensive Sony universal remote with the wide IR blast should work fine.

I've researched a lot, here and on other sites. The problem here is that the "videophiles" will find faults/problems with anything and everything (they want perfection, it doesn't exist). I just want a very good to excellent picture at a good value.

The Vizio M701 from Costco seems like the best bang for your buck.
post #5287 of 8836
I just noticed that my M601 clock did not roll back with the time change last week. I had to go in to the menu and manually switch Daylight Savings to off.
post #5288 of 8836
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj79 View Post

OK I don't know this is an issue with my m601, my receiver or settings between the 2.. While watching a hockey game a few days ago I noticed that when the camera is panning left to right, RIGHT TO LEFT, Etc. It looks choppy... Its subtle, but the motion Judders a little and its bugging me... I don't ever notice it before, so either it was the channel or the new receiver...

I'm using ursas "game " setting and tried to change the smooth motion, I went thru all settings and the picture still wasn't smooth while the camera was panning.

I know this sounds crazy, but if you have your cable/sat box set to output 1080p try changing it to 720p. I've noticed this on football before and that fixes it. I just change it back after the game, although to be honest I can't really see a difference with content that comes from that source anyway. It's really weird because it's not every game but when I see it I change the setting and it goes away.
post #5289 of 8836
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post

I know this sounds crazy, but if you have your cable/sat box set to output 1080p try changing it to 720p. I've noticed this on football before and that fixes it. I just change it back after the game, although to be honest I can't really see a difference with content that comes from that source anyway. It's really weird because it's not every game but when I see it I change the setting and it goes away.

Hmmm that is weird. But it does seem like a lot of times random settings you overlook can fix an issue. I'll try it again... I didn't know if it was anything in the receiver and I didn't wanna mess around with putting the HDMI from the directv box directly to the TV_ cuz everything is tucked away and a pita to get too...

I also recall reading ( correct me if I'm wrong ) that the smooth motion is disabled while in game mode, which is what ursas settings are for
post #5290 of 8836
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post


I know this sounds crazy, but if you have your cable/sat box set to output 1080p try changing it to 720p. I've noticed this on football before and that fixes it. I just change it back after the game, although to be honest I can't really see a difference with content that comes from that source anyway. It's really weird because it's not every game but when I see it I change the setting and it goes away.

It's not as crazy as you might think.  Example/explanation:  I have a DirecTV box that is set to 1080P.  The output resolution boxes are also checked for 480i, 720P, and 1080i.  Most of the broadcast stations, i.e. ESPN, ABC, FOX, etc. either broadcast in 720P or 1080i.  ( There are no standard broadcast stations that send out their signal in 1080P. )  Having the DirecTV box set to 1080P forces it to perform a ton of calculations and interpolations to convert the 720P and 1080i resolutions to 1080P.  That process introduces delays that are especially noticeable when there is rapid horizontal camera movement such as hockey and football.  When you set the resolution to 720P on your box, you are most likely matching the actual broadcast resolution ( it may be 1080i ) which means that there is no conversions/calculations or interpolations for the box to perform, and therefore no delays.  Most of the networks that are sports focused broadcast in 720P;  which makes horizontal motion smooth - as all scanning lines are active at the same time.  Watching sports on 1080i broadcasts is not the best experience as half of the scanning lines are off for each cycle.  You will notice a ghost image of a puck following the actual puck.  Baseball is another example of a ghosting ball.  You can always tell when the station is broadcasting in 1080i vs. 720P.  That's why we are seeing more and more TV's out there with 120 or 240 refresh rates - as an attempt to fix the issue.  It doesn't really help that much.

post #5291 of 8836
Quote:
Originally Posted by l33tmeatwad View Post


I can confirm that they do work, in fact I used my remote from my old TV to run the setup because it has the keyboard on the back, lol...

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylo88 View Post

I believe they work. If I'm not mistaken, someone in here actually got the previous version of remote when they bought an open box M series.

 

Thanks, I'm gonna try it then.  Well, first I have to get the TV, then I'll try it.

post #5292 of 8836
Of the major networks, the only ones that broadcast in 720p are ABC and Fox. This is probably because they broadcast so much sports, which does look better in a progressive format. The rest use 1080i. I have found that the best solution, is to set my DirecTV receiver to always display at the native resolution of the channel you are watching. This setting can be found in the Display menu under Video.
post #5293 of 8836
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post

It's not as crazy as you might think.  Example/explanation:  I have a DirecTV box that is set to 1080P.  The output resolution boxes are also checked for 480i, 720P, and 1080i.  Most of the broadcast stations, i.e. ESPN, ABC, FOX, etc. either broadcast in 720P or 1080i.  ( There are no standard broadcast stations that send out their signal in 1080P. )  Having the DirecTV box set to 1080P forces it to perform a ton of calculations and interpolations to convert the 720P and 1080i resolutions to 1080P.  That process introduces delays that are especially noticeable when there is rapid horizontal camera movement such as hockey and football.  When you set the resolution to 720P on your box, you are most likely matching the actual broadcast resolution ( it may be 1080i ) which means that there is no conversions/calculations or interpolations for the box to perform, and therefore no delays.  Most of the networks that are sports focused broadcast in 720P;  which makes horizontal motion smooth - as all scanning lines are active at the same time.  Watching sports on 1080i broadcasts is not the best experience as half of the scanning lines are off for each cycle.  You will notice a ghost image of a puck following the actual puck.  Baseball is another example of a ghosting ball.  You can always tell when the station is broadcasting in 1080i vs. 720P.  That's why we are seeing more and more TV's out there with 120 or 240 refresh rates - as an attempt to fix the issue.  It doesn't really help that much.

Ahh. That makes a lot of sense. If the receiver actually does try to force a signal that isnt there. 1080p. I'm in Minnesota and watching the wild its broadcast on fsn north which is in 720p.. Should I just check 480,720,and 1080i, ? Or just go to 720p or whatever the show is broadcast in?

But what's kind of confusing is if I'm watching say, discovery channel or history etc etc and its in 720 or 1080i why do I not notice motion blur/judder during sciences that pan horizontally or vertically? So far I've just noticed it in hockey..

Also does my sony dn840 receiver have anything to do with that, or is it basically just a pass thru for the HDMI devices that are hooked up
post #5294 of 8836
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorVideo View Post

Of the major networks, the only ones that broadcast in 720p are ABC and Fox. This is probably because they broadcast so much sports, which does look better in a progressive format. The rest use 1080i. I have found that the best solution, is to set my DirecTV receiver to always display at the native resolution of the channel you are watching. This setting can be found in the Display menu under Video.

Great point Doctor!

post #5295 of 8836
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj79 View Post


Ahh. That makes a lot of sense. If the receiver actually does try to force a signal that isnt there. 1080p. I'm in Minnesota and watching the wild its broadcast on fsn north which is in 720p.. Should I just check 480,720,and 1080i, ? Or just go to 720p or whatever the show is broadcast in?

But what's kind of confusing is if I'm watching say, discovery channel or history etc etc and its in 720 or 1080i why do I not notice motion blur/judder during sciences that pan horizontally or vertically? So far I've just noticed it in hockey..

Also does my sony dn840 receiver have anything to do with that, or is it basically just a pass thru for the HDMI devices that are hooked up

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorVideo View Post

Of the major networks, the only ones that broadcast in 720p are ABC and Fox. This is probably because they broadcast so much sports, which does look better in a progressive format. The rest use 1080i. I have found that the best solution, is to set my DirecTV receiver to always display at the native resolution of the channel you are watching. This setting can be found in the Display menu under Video.

 

Programming material can effect how things look: i.e. live TV vs. pre-recorded video or converted film.  Motion issues have already been corrected pre-broadcast.

post #5296 of 8836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post

I believe most/all edge lit panels do suffer from the light bleed problem to a certain extent, I'm sure some are worse than others. I assume you were referring to the reflectivity when you said the screen is not that bad. My inexpensive Sony universal remote with the wide IR blast should work fine.

I've researched a lot, here and on other sites. The problem here is that the "videophiles" will find faults/problems with anything and everything (they want perfection, it doesn't exist). I just want a very good to excellent picture at a good value.

The Vizio M701 from Costco seems like the best bang for your buck.

You are correct. IMO it is the best deal available today. Reflectivity is not going to be an issue under most normal circumstances. I could spend $10k and still find issues. There is no perfect. I also want to say the Costco is over the top in terms of service!
post #5297 of 8836
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtl46 View Post

You are correct. IMO it is the best deal available today. Reflectivity is not going to be an issue under most normal circumstances. I could spend $10k and still find issues. There is no perfect. I also want to say the Costco is over the top in terms of service!

I was really leaning in this direction based on reviews and personal accounts, but I was really bummed by my firsthand experience with the TV today. I never judge color, sharpness, etc. in a store because they either don't know or don't care about calibration, but they were showing a football game on the 70" model and the amount of pixelation in fast moving scenes and graphics was AWFUL.

Is it possible this was a setting issue? None of the other TVs in this class (e.g, the samsung 6300) exhibited the problem to the same degree, if at all. I watch a lot of sports, so this would be a deal-breaker.
post #5298 of 8836
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_nsc View Post

I was really leaning in this direction based on reviews and personal accounts, but I was really bummed by my firsthand experience with the TV today. I never judge color, sharpness, etc. in a store because they either don't know or don't care about calibration, but they were showing a football game on the 70" model and the amount of pixelation in fast moving scenes and graphics was AWFUL.

Is it possible this was a setting issue? None of the other TVs in this class (e.g, the samsung 6300) exhibited the problem to the same degree, if at all. I watch a lot of sports, so this would be a deal-breaker.

I think it is probably settings because i have never had that issue. If that was a problem I believe the sports and gaming guys on this thread would be all over it. I was tempted to buy a Sammy 75" and return my Vizio because I thought the imagined or perceived light bleed would be less. At twice the price and probably the same IPS panel I figured why bother.
post #5299 of 8836
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtl46 View Post

I think it is probably settings because i have never had that issue. If that was a problem I believe the sports and gaming guys on this thread would be all over it. I was tempted to buy a Sammy 75" and return my Vizio because I thought the imagined or perceived light bleed would be less. At twice the price and probably the same IPS panel I figured why bother.

Thanks for the response. I want to pull the trigger soon, so I really appreciate the feedback. I figure I would have heard something by now, too, which is why it surprised me so much to discover the issue.

Incidentally, are there any sports guys out there who can let me know what setting might have been misaligned?
post #5300 of 8836
Honestly it sounds like it had a bad connection to the feed. I believe in most stores they split the hell out of their incoming cable feed. I've never seen pixelation on my 55inch while watching sports, using settings posted in this thread.
post #5301 of 8836
I'm having a troubling issue with my 50" set. Twice in the past week the unit will not power on at all. Both times I had to unplug the TV then it turned on fine.

It had been working flawlessly since this issue.

Any ideas?? Anyone else having similar issues??
post #5302 of 8836
Im looking to get the VIZIO M601d-A3R or the Samsung UN60F6300.Was in bestbuy today and comparing the 2.The vizio is rated higher on CNET on performance but the sammy colors just seemed to pop more.Both TVs were running the same store demo.It seemed the backlight and contrast were set much higher than the vizio though.And does best buy have some kind of contract with samsung?The employees there seem to always try to push you toward a samsung tv for some reason.
post #5303 of 8836
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid33nyc1 View Post

Im looking to get the VIZIO M601d-A3R or the Samsung UN60F6300.Was in bestbuy today and comparing the 2.The vizio is rated higher on CNET on performance but the sammy colors just seemed to pop more.Both TVs were running the same store demo.It seemed the backlight and contrast were set much higher than the vizio though.And does best buy have some kind of contract with samsung?The employees there seem to always try to push you toward a samsung tv for some reason.
I think they do! I was looking at Sony's new 4k tvs last night and they were trying to sell me a Samsung instead to. Lol. I was looking at the difference between the Vizio, sharp, Samsung and Sony tvs in the 65" range last night. And I actually found the Vizio to have the better picture.
post #5304 of 8836

The VIZIO's seem to have the most REALISTIC colors.  Yes, the Samsung does POP...but are those accurate colors?  To me they are too over saturated for my taste. 

 

As far as Samsung and Best Buy I have noticed ALOT of samsung floor space lately as well as representatives from Samsung there trying to sell me a TV. 

post #5305 of 8836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gravina View Post

The VIZIO's seem to have the most REALISTIC colors.  Yes, the Samsung does POP...but are those accurate colors?  To me they are too over saturated for my taste. 

As far as Samsung and Best Buy I have noticed ALOT of samsung floor space lately as well as representatives from Samsung there trying to sell me a TV. 
Oh ok I thought it was just me.Was looking at the vizio and they kept directing me toward a samsung..Yeah i see your point about the colors.They try to trick you into thinking one set is better than the other with the store demo.An actual my being played would give a better idea.
post #5306 of 8836
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid33nyc1 View Post

Oh ok I thought it was just me.Was looking at the vizio and they kept directing me toward a samsung..Yeah i see your point about the colors.They try to trick you into thinking one set is better than the other with the store demo.An actual my being played would give a better idea.

I totally agree with you about the Samsung. In stores they look amazing on their demo reel (though I did notice it struggles with a lot of action scenes) But yes the colors pop but don't look nearly as realistic. The vizio almost looks boring by comparison but it is because the picture is realistic more than over saturated.
post #5307 of 8836
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpx5678 View Post

I totally agree with you about the Samsung. In stores they look amazing on their demo reel (though I did notice it struggles with a lot of action scenes) But yes the colors pop but don't look nearly as realistic. The vizio almost looks boring by comparison but it is because the picture is realistic more than over saturated.

As with others comparing Samsung to vizio I had the a same perspective in the pop that I observed from Samsung at best buy. However, what really stood out to me watching their bb sales demo feed on all sets just look at the blue shirts on the bb sales personal on the demo feed. The Samsung color is so far from reality on most images that it really demonstrated how unrealistic the Samsung colors are as compared to the vizios. For what it is worth I don't own either set and still working to make a decision.
post #5308 of 8836
I have a PS4 coming soon and am looking for a new large screen to pair with it. While the family time will be spent watching movies, I am most interested in gaming performance. Does anyone have any experience with this set that they care to share?

Thanks!
post #5309 of 8836
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun View Post

I have a PS4 coming soon and am looking for a new large screen to pair with it. While the family time will be spent watching movies, I am most interested in gaming performance. Does anyone have any experience with this set that they care to share?

Thanks!

I have the 60" and it's a fantastic TV for gaming and movie watching.
post #5310 of 8836
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun View Post

I have a PS4 coming soon and am looking for a new large screen to pair with it. While the family time will be spent watching movies, I am most interested in gaming performance. Does anyone have any experience with this set that they care to share?

Thanks!


I have the 80" model and I love it. Great for gaming and excellent for movie nights.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread