or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread - Page 269

post #8041 of 8763
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post

I'll start by saying I do NOT use a physical connection to the TVs because I do NOT use any of the "features" (aka bloatware). In fact, I delete as many of them as I can from the apps ribbon. ALSO, I've experienced a couple of lightning events in my years since broadband was in the house and in EACH event, the wired Ethernet has provided that succulent low resistance low voltage path to ground the lightning seeks and most things physically connected were damaged. So as not to go a drift here, surge protectors do NOTHING for lightning.

NOTE - If you already have a dual band router (2.4 and 5.8) with both radios enabled, AND all your Computers can connect on the 5.8GHz spectrum, move them all to that network, leave the TVs back on the 2.4GHz spectrum and you're go to go. I unfortunately need to leave some devices back in the 2.4GHz spectrum so I "cheat" by adding a second 2.4GHz network. I also have a few wireless HDMI devices in the house that use the 5.8Ghz spectrum and I try to keep it as open as possible. I'm on a large lot and don't see a lot of neighboring networks in the 2.4Ghz spectrum so YMMV. If you have an android tablet, grab a copy of WiFi Analyzer from the Store to watch what is around.

SO, if you still want to continue:

My primary router is setup to hand out IP addresses (DHCP), connect to the Provider network (WAN/DNS), ... as you should already have set. Since you said you're "new" to this stuff, I'd make a recommendation you use a LAN IP address other than 192.168.0.X OR 192.168.1.X as these are too often in conflict with defaults on devices. Go for something like 192.168.1XX.X

NOTE the LAN IP, the SSID and channel you are currently using. I turn off Auto channel and pick my poison! For example, let's assume I have my Wireless SSID set to MY-NETWORK and fix the channel to 1. I use a DHCP reservation in my primary router to hold an IP for the secondary router from the assignment pool and then use THAT IP for the LAN IP in the secondary router. This allows me to still access the administration functions of the secondary router without issues (e.g. 192.168.1XX.2).

I took an old router, configured it with the LAN IP mentioned above (192.168.1XX.2), created an SSID different than above (e.g. TV-NETWORK), disabled DHCP, set the WiFi channel to OTHER than above (e.g. 6 or 11 depending on your environment), connected the two routers LAN port to LAN port and that now provides another WiFi access point on the network on a non-interfering channel.

Thanks for that. I'm not exactly 'new' to wifi stuff. Just don't mess with it often enough to really know it well. I understand all that. I'm doing just about just about everything your doing almost to an exact T including using a second router (actually have two more), using a different than normal LAN IP except for the part about moving all my stuff to the 5.8GHz spectrum and I let my stuff do auto channel. I'll have to see how much of that I can do. I might have to 'cheat' as you put it.

BTW, I live in the sticks with no neighbors so if there is a wifi signal, it's mine. So I don't normally worry about interference and didn't even think about it when I saw the TV's wifi.
post #8042 of 8763
Before I bring back the m55 I figured I would share my setting with you guys/girls. I didnt use any calibrating disks. Here they are tell what you think

Calibrated dark
Backlight 60
Brightness 47
Contrast 90
Color 55
Tint -1
Sharpness 60

Color Temp. Cool

Auto Brightness Off
Black Detail High
Smart Dimming Off
Smooth Motion Med
Reduce signal noise High
Reduce block noise High
Flim Mode Auto
post #8043 of 8763
Awesome, Word of warning. Most SOHO routers have issues if you have multiple APs with the same SSID. While it may appear to work on the surface there are many things on both the client and the router that can cause "random" issues. I do NOT recommend the practice unless you're using commercial grade equipment built and tested and warranted to work in such an environment, and even then, I've found problems smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigepilot View Post

Thanks for that. I'm not exactly 'new' to wifi stuff. Just don't mess with it often enough to really know it well. I understand all that. I'm doing just about just about everything your doing almost to an exact T including using a second router (actually have two more), using a different than normal LAN IP except for the part about moving all my stuff to the 5.8GHz spectrum and I let my stuff do auto channel. I'll have to see how much of that I can do. I might have to 'cheat' as you put it.

BTW, I live in the sticks with no neighbors so if there is a wifi signal, it's mine. So I don't normally worry about interference and didn't even think about it when I saw the TV's wifi.
post #8044 of 8763
Yeah, I have mine set up with the same SSID. Everything has seemed to work with it that way for over a year and a half with some minor issues. When moving from one zone to another devices like to hold on to the previous weak signal and sometimes need to be forced to disconnect and reconnect which defeats the purpose of having the same SSID. My son's xbox doesn't like it so it's connected to the guest access feature of one of the routers. Other than that I haven't really noticed any problems. I'll switch it to different SSIDs while I'm in there messing with it and see if I see performance improvements.
post #8045 of 8763
That could be really F'n with the new Vizio ad-hoc networks smile.gif I'd be curious about something. If you have an Android device, would you mind downloading WiFi Analyzer and watch to see if the DIRECT-XX-VIZIOTV SSID bounces between the channels you are using? BTW, the NAME of the SSID for the remote is why I'm pretty sure these are ad-hoc networks for the remotes!!!!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer

PS - Using auto channel and the SAME SSID can be causing even more issues. Split em (channel and SSID) and assign em. ESPECIALLY if you're out in the boonies like me!

PPS - If you venture into playing further with roaming, Intel NICs have a roaming aggressiveness setting you can play with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigepilot View Post

Yeah, I have mine set up with the same SSID. Everything has seemed to work with it that way for over a year and a half with some minor issues. When moving from one zone to another devices like to hold on to the previous weak signal and sometimes need to be forced to disconnect and reconnect which defeats the purpose of having the same SSID. My son's xbox doesn't like it so it's connected to the guest access feature of one of the routers. Other than that I haven't really noticed any problems. I'll switch it to different SSIDs while I'm in there messing with it and see if I see performance improvements.

Edited by rakstr - 2/27/14 at 9:48am
post #8046 of 8763
Well, it looks like my M55 is bricked. Going back to Costco tonight.

Considering another (larger :-) ) Vizio or another brand. Can anyone tell me the difference between the M651D-A2 Costco sells vs. the M651D-A2R (note the R on the end) that everyplace else sells? I've searched and wen through Vizio's site (they don't even list the M651D-A2), but I can't find the difference. Is this just a special Costco SKU, or something else?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edh72 View Post

Hi All,

I tried the steps to force an update last night on my M55. When I tried turning the set on this morning, it comes on, I see the logo for a few seconds, the power light blinks a few times, then the set turns off.

I've tried multiple times, with the same results. I also tried leaving the set unplugged for 10 mins. Still the same :-(

This is a ~7 week old set, and was fine before this.

Has anyone seen this before? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
-Ed
post #8047 of 8763
The one Costco sell comes with 4 3D glasses the other stores sell the Tv with 8 3D glasses R is for retail
post #8048 of 8763
You didn't read back in this thread very far !!!! It's the number of glasses included.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edh72 View Post

Well, it looks like my M55 is bricked. Going back to Costco tonight.

Considering another (larger :-) ) Vizio or another brand. Can anyone tell me the difference between the M651D-A2 Costco sells vs. the M651D-A2R (note the R on the end) that everyplace else sells? I've searched and wen through Vizio's site (they don't even list the M651D-A2), but I can't find the difference. Is this just a special Costco SKU, or something else?

Thanks!
post #8049 of 8763
Thanks! LOL - is that really the only difference?

I've already bought some additional glasses, so I'm all set :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyguy10 View Post

The one Costco sell comes with 4 3D glasses the other stores have sell the Tv with 8 3D glasses R is for retail
post #8050 of 8763
You are correct, I did not read all 8,000+ posts in the thread, but I did search for M651D-A2 vs M651D-A2R here and on google, and did not find any hits on the first 3 result pages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post

You didn't read back in this thread very far !!!! It's the number of glasses included.
post #8051 of 8763
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyguy10 View Post

Before I bring back the m55 I figured I would share my setting with you guys/girls. I didnt use any calibrating disks. Here they are tell what you think

Calibrated dark
Backlight 60
Brightness 47
Contrast 90
Color 55
Tint -1
Sharpness 60

Color Temp. Cool

Auto Brightness Off
Black Detail High
Smart Dimming Off
Smooth Motion Med
Reduce signal noise High
Reduce block noise High
Flim Mode Auto


I would return that tv if i used those settings also smile.gif
post #8052 of 8763
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyguy10 View Post

The one Costco sell comes with 4 3D glasses the other stores sell the Tv with 8 3D glasses R is for retail

I bought my 65 at Costco last Saturday and it came with 8 glasses and 1.25 firmware smile.gif
post #8053 of 8763
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post

Now if they would only contribute and try to please customers as other vendors do in other forums!!!

IF you're listening Vizio, after the 1.09 update, the Menu key does not work after the TV has been off for awhile and/or you haven't touched the remote for awhile (WiFi paired that is).

I ask that others try this. When you go to turn on the TV next (presuming it's been off for awhile), press the menu key. You'll note it does nothing. To get to the menu I have to use the VIA button and then select the HDTV Settings from the ribbon. At that point, the Menu key will function UNTIL you don't use the remote for and "un-calculated" period of time.

My menu button works just fine. Since 1.09 it operates my DirecTV receiver menu. To use the TV menu, you have to press input first, then menu.
post #8054 of 8763
Hmmm, I don't have any devices setup! I do recall now that I had to go to the TV input (OTA) though to get some things to work on the 40. IF I unpair it and use it as an IR remote, all works. With no defined devices, I'd expect the default IR behavior. Perhaps a reset may be required......


Do you have your DirecTV receiver set for IR? I use RF and wouldn't expect the Vizio remote to control it that way.

Also, do you have an AVR between the DTV receiver and the TV?

THANKS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by waylo88 View Post

My menu button works just fine. Since 1.09 it operates my DirecTV receiver menu. To use the TV menu, you have to press input first, then menu.
post #8055 of 8763
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPIOUR View Post

I bought my 65 at Costco last Saturday and it came with 8 glasses and 1.25 firmware smile.gif
Well I guess you got lucky because even in the list of accessories it says 4 pair but seeing u have the lastest firmware the manufacture date is probably the lastest maybe thats why you got 8 glasses
post #8056 of 8763
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyguy10 View Post

Well I guess you got lucky because even in the list of accessories it says 4 pair but seeing u have the lastest firmware the manufacture date is probably the lastest maybe thats why you got 8 glasses

Yeah, I am thinking it was just a lucky draw also.
post #8057 of 8763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniwolfe View Post

I would return that tv if i used those settings also smile.gif
Care to share your setting I would like to see if it my old ass eyes lol
post #8058 of 8763
One reason to not want 1.25....TINT control resets itself...not sure if that happens with other firmware. But the Tech at Vizio (by the way , he didnt know much) said that Vizio is aware with issues with 1.25. I personally think skin tones look better with -7 TINT.
post #8059 of 8763
Congrats!

Was this a M651D-A2 or M651D-A2R on the box? Would you mind sharing the lot number, serial# or anything else that might help me find the latest version from what Costco has sitting on the shelve tonight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPIOUR View Post

Yeah, I am thinking it was just a lucky draw also.
post #8060 of 8763
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyguy10 View Post

Care to share your setting I would like to see if it my old ass eyes lol

Well keep in mind....if I used those settings lol

I have old ass eyes too so lets see if I can you.

These are what I use with my 60 inch with firmware 1.25

---Picture settings menu---
Picture Mode: Calibrated
Backlight: 50
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 80
Color: 46
Tint: -7
Sharpness: 15

---
Colour temperature: Computer


--Advanced Picture submenu---
Auto Brightness Control: Off
Black Detail: Off
Smart Dimming: On
Smooth Motion Effect: Off
Reduce Signal Noise: Off
Reduce Block Noise: Off
Film Mode: Auto
post #8061 of 8763
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post

That could be really F'n with the new Vizio ad-hoc networks smile.gif I'd be curious about something. If you have an Android device, would you mind downloading WiFi Analyzer and watch to see if the DIRECT-XX-VIZIOTV SSID bounces between the channels you are using? BTW, the NAME of the SSID for the remote is why I'm pretty sure these are ad-hoc networks for the remotes!!!!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer

PS - Using auto channel and the SAME SSID can be causing even more issues. Split em (channel and SSID) and assign em. ESPECIALLY if you're out in the boonies like me!

PPS - If you venture into playing further with roaming, Intel NICs have a roaming aggressiveness setting you can play with.

OK, I installed one of the wifi analyzers. The Vizio was not broadcasting a signal until I turned on the TV. Once on, the Vizio's wifi signal showed up on channel 1, which is the same as the router nearest the TV. The guest access SSID came up on channel 6 which also comes from that same router. Router closest to where the tablet is shows channel 9. Other router is too far away to show up apparently and I haven't been moving around. I haven't seen the TV's wifi change channel at all (or any of them for that matter).
post #8062 of 8763
ok guys I'm back! So if you read my story my tv got 2 lines on the tv. The person i bought it from couldn't fix it and i got my tv back. I have the Verizon expert care program (thru verizon Fios) and the technician came out yesterday (after paying a $89.00 deductible)

The technician tells me it needs a new display and that they would have to replace it.

Today I get a call from verizon and they tell me they will be replacing it with a new tv

http://store.vizio.com/mseries/m601da3r.html

It will get shipped tomorrow and I will get it in the mail. This warranty ($20.00 a month) is amazing! deft worth it.

The BEST part of it all is i get to keep the old one and put it on my bedroom just have to deal with the two lines.
post #8063 of 8763

Hi, I am planning on buying a Vizio M471I-A2 and I would like to know if I can stream videos or do screen mirroring using wi-fi. I currently do it using Apple TV and VLC player.

 

Thanks

post #8064 of 8763
Last night when I turned on M401i-A3, it asked for pairing the remote. I guess this was a firmware update? Once I did the pairing, all buttons except power on the remote don't work any more. So now I can only watch one channel on the TV since I can't control the TV with the remote any more. A few diagnosis steps based on the suggestions from a Vizio customer services representative didn't help. I'm not so sure wether it's the remote or the new firmware on the TV that causes the problem. Has anyone experienced the same issue?
Edited by mj56gt - 2/27/14 at 12:18pm
post #8065 of 8763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edh72 View Post

Congrats!

Was this a M651D-A2 or M651D-A2R on the box? Would you mind sharing the lot number, serial# or anything else that might help me find the latest version from what Costco has sitting on the shelve tonight?

I will check it out when I get home from work and report back to you smile.gif (I am off at 5:00 EST)
post #8066 of 8763
You don't need to turn on the TV, just watch the analyzer for a few moments and you'll see a DIRECT-XX-VIZIOTV show up periodically as the communications between the TV and the remote periodically wake up and go to sleep. This SSID will come and go on the display, at least in WiFi Analyzer which I previously linked. Those SSIDs (I have two TVs up and running with the WiFi remote) also show up in my laptops periodically, depending on when they scanned.

Here's another hint for you. There are only 3 non-overlapping 20MHz channels in the 2.4GHz spectrum for WiFi, 1, 6, and 11. While you can move the center of the 20MHz to channels other than these, 9 in your case, you will be "stepping on" channels 6 and 11. Using channels other than 1, 6, and 11 is not recommended unless you know the remaining spectrum is free and clear AND it aids to resolve some peculiar transmission/reception issue. Use the graphical display option of the analyzer or see below and what I'm saying will be obvious!!!!

http://www.metageek.net/support/why-channels-1-6-and-11/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigepilot View Post

OK, I installed one of the wifi analyzers. The Vizio was not broadcasting a signal until I turned on the TV. Once on, the Vizio's wifi signal showed up on channel 1, which is the same as the router nearest the TV. The guest access SSID came up on channel 6 which also comes from that same router. Router closest to where the tablet is shows channel 9. Other router is too far away to show up apparently and I haven't been moving around. I haven't seen the TV's wifi change channel at all (or any of them for that matter).

Edited by rakstr - 2/27/14 at 1:06pm
post #8067 of 8763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edh72 View Post

Congrats!

Was this a M651D-A2 or M651D-A2R on the box? Would you mind sharing the lot number, serial# or anything else that might help me find the latest version from what Costco has sitting on the shelve tonight?

The label on the side of my box says M651D-A2R. Label will also say 8 Glasses. How did this end up at Costco. I bought this in the Virginia Beach, VA Costco. It came with the 1.25 firmware which sucks, because I have no idea how to fix the color and all that (has professional picture mode) To tell you the truth my Samsung 52 inch A750 has a better hd picture viewing regular tv. Blu Ray and playing Playstation 4 games are great though. Playing Battlefield 4 is great on the tv. I have to say that movement of when I use the ps4 controller happens right when I hit a button or move a thumb stick. I even have my PS4 running thru my Yamaha 671 receiver and then receiver to tv and there seems to be no input lag. When I hit the fire button it reacts right then smile.gif I like the 3d, but it does not seem to be right in your face. To me it just gives the picture more depth. I like my friends Samsung plasma 3D better. Picture actually came at you. I am sure I need to tweak the tv more, but not sure if you can tweak the 3D. I watched Pacific Rim and it looked great in 3d, but I wanted pow in your face lol I will buy Avatar and try that since I watched it in the theater I know what that 3d should look like.
Edited by HAPPIOUR - 2/27/14 at 2:48pm
post #8068 of 8763
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post

Hmmm, I don't have any devices setup! I do recall now that I had to go to the TV input (OTA) though to get some things to work on the 40. IF I unpair it and use it as an IR remote, all works. With no defined devices, I'd expect the default IR behavior. Perhaps a reset may be required......


Do you have your DirecTV receiver set for IR? I use RF and wouldn't expect the Vizio remote to control it that way.

Also, do you have an AVR between the DTV receiver and the TV?

THANKS!

I've got the Vizio remote controlling both my DirecTV receiver and my AVR. The DTV box is connected to the TV via HDMI and the TV is connected to the AVR via optical cable. Pretty sure my DTV box is IR.
post #8069 of 8763
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyguy10 View Post

Before I bring back the m55 I figured I would share my setting with you guys/girls. I didnt use any calibrating disks. Here they are tell what you think

Calibrated dark
Backlight 60
Brightness 47
Contrast 90
Color 55
Tint -1
Sharpness 60

Color Temp. Cool

Auto Brightness Off
Black Detail High
Smart Dimming Off
Smooth Motion Med
Reduce signal noise High
Reduce block noise High
Flim Mode Auto


Your contrast, color and sharpness seem kinda high. Also, try turning your black detail, smooth motion, signal noise and block noise settings to OFF. Also, try the Smart Dimming ON, which I find is one of the best features of the M-series as it really improves the black levels.


===========================


You can try these settings from Ursa, but they are geared more towards the 601, 701 and 801 TVs:

Picture mode: Game
Backlight: 55
Brightness: 57
Contrast: 53
Color: 40
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 50

Color Temp: Normal
Red Gain: 148
Green Gain: 117
Blue Gain: 130
Red Offset: 130
Green Offset: 129
Blue Offset: 128

Auto Bright: off
Black detail: off
Smart dimming: off
Smooth motion: off
Reduce signal noise: off
Reduce block noise: off
Film mode: auto


=====================


The following are the settings that I personally use on my M701, which is a combination of Ursa's settings and some Calibrated Dark settings that another member posted earlier... I find this gives a very nice natural look when watching TV at night in a dim setting, with just the right amount of color pop and with nice black levels:

Picture mode: Game
Backlight: 35
Brightness: 55
Contrast: 70
Color: 35
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 20

Color Temp: Custom
Red Gain: 148
Green Gain: 117
Blue Gain: 130
Red Offset: 130
Green Offset: 129
Blue Offset: 128

Auto Bright: off
Black detail: off
Smart dimming: ON
Smooth motion: off
Reduce signal noise: off
Reduce block noise: off
Film mode: auto


Of course, if you have a lot of ambient light, you may want to jack up the backlight, brightness and color settings to suit your own needs. Fiddle around with it, and I recommend using Ursa's settings as a starting point.
Edited by 88ronin - 2/27/14 at 3:54pm
post #8070 of 8763
Color temp setting will no longer be there once you get 1.25 update frown.gif Only professional mode....I wonder if that erases all settings and you have to start from scratch? My tv came with 1.25 and color temp is not there to change. frown.gif

I am sure pro mode is better, but have no idea how to try and work with that lol
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread