or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Home Automation › Insteon SmartLinc - anyone have any experience with this?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Insteon SmartLinc - anyone have any experience with this?

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 
I just finished wiring my basement with speaker wire and a serial cable for my projector (to get IP functionality) and pretty shortly I am going to be purchasing my equipment for my remote to control everything.

I plan on getting a tablet and using either iRule or RoomieRemote to control it. I'll be purchasing some of the IR2IP adapters as well as the serial one.

And in doing this I was thinking about the possibility of controlling light from the remote as well. However I don't know anything about it other than some brief research I've done this morning.

The way my room is already setup, is that there are 12 recessed lights in the HT area. The rear 6 are controlled via a dimmer switch at the top of the stairs, and the front 6 are controlled via a dimmer switch at the bottom of the stairs.

In my research I came across the Insteon SmartLinc Controller - http://www.amazon.com/Smarthome-2412N-SmartLinc-INSTEON-Controller/dp/B003IHTZCG/ref=pd_cp_hi_0

I then came across some of their dimmer switches - http://www.amazon.com/Smarthome-2477D-SwitchLinc-INSTEON-Dual-Band/dp/B003ZTVZ0W/ref=pd_cp_hi_2

So my question is - if I get the controller and plug it in and get it on my network, then install 2 of those dimmer switches, is that all I need in order to control the lights from the tablet? I do know that both iRule and RoomieRemote both support the SmartLinc, however having never used this kind of stuff before, I wasn't sure if I needed to run additional wires or anything to the dimmer switches or anything. But if I can just get those 3 items, hook them up, and it will work, that would be awesome!
post #2 of 5
Quote:
So my question is - if I get the controller and plug it in and get it on my network, then install 2 of those dimmer switches, is that all I need in order to control the lights from the tablet?

Pick up the ISY994 (http://www.smarthome.com/_/ProductResults.aspx?Ntt=isy994) and you'll be set. Personally, I prefer iRule. It's a user defined interface and Android compatible.
Edited by Gramin - 1/16/13 at 1:46pm
post #3 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramin View Post

Pick up the ISY994 (http://www.smarthome.com/_/ProductResults.aspx?Ntt=isy994) and you'll be set. Personally, I prefer iRule. It's a user defined interface and Android compatible.

Any reason why you would suggest that over the one I linked?

And yea that part of iRule is part of the reason I'm considering it because I don't have a tablet and the initial price will be cheaper. But I also like iOS in general. Just going to have to make a decision at some point.
post #4 of 5
If you don't need the features of the ISY, the Smartlinc should work for simple remote control. Read the reviews and if you decide on it consider the Insteon Starter Kit from Best Buy which basically gives you a free Access Point and LampLinc. You can always upgrade later.
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast View Post

I just finished wiring my basement with speaker wire and a serial cable for my projector (to get IP functionality) and pretty shortly I am going to be purchasing my equipment for my remote to control everything.

I plan on getting a tablet and using either iRule or RoomieRemote to control it. I'll be purchasing some of the IR2IP adapters as well as the serial one.

And in doing this I was thinking about the possibility of controlling light from the remote as well. However I don't know anything about it other than some brief research I've done this morning.

The way my room is already setup, is that there are 12 recessed lights in the HT area. The rear 6 are controlled via a dimmer switch at the top of the stairs, and the front 6 are controlled via a dimmer switch at the bottom of the stairs.

In my research I came across the Insteon SmartLinc Controller - http://www.amazon.com/Smarthome-2412N-SmartLinc-INSTEON-Controller/dp/B003IHTZCG/ref=pd_cp_hi_0

I then came across some of their dimmer switches - http://www.amazon.com/Smarthome-2477D-SwitchLinc-INSTEON-Dual-Band/dp/B003ZTVZ0W/ref=pd_cp_hi_2

So my question is - if I get the controller and plug it in and get it on my network, then install 2 of those dimmer switches, is that all I need in order to control the lights from the tablet? I do know that both iRule and RoomieRemote both support the SmartLinc, however having never used this kind of stuff before, I wasn't sure if I needed to run additional wires or anything to the dimmer switches or anything. But if I can just get those 3 items, hook them up, and it will work, that would be awesome!

Take a look at CastleOS as your central controller. It requires a running Windows computer, but offers you the best looking UI you'll find and functionality you won't find in other controllers. www.CastleOS.com
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Automation
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Home Automation › Insteon SmartLinc - anyone have any experience with this?