or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › News Forum › Latest Industry News › 3D is Not Dead...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

3D is Not Dead... - Page 12

post #331 of 367
"The Wizard of Oz" had a painstaking Blu-Ray 70th Anniversary restoration, done with incredible care and attention to detail... the results incredible. This 3D remake will hopefully show the same amount of care, and attention to detail that was previously demonstrated. No other remake thus far, including Jurassic Park, Top Gun, and probably even Titanic will be under such a microscopic examination. It will have a very limited theatrical release... like about a week. The dollars generated from that will not be tremendous, even if it had near sell-out showings. (Fuel to the fire of the "3D is/should be Dead" crowds. rolleyes.gif )

Making a tremendous presumption, that the conversion was done with the care and attention to detail shown in the restoration, and that the results on the screen (BIG and small) will be very good... that they did it right! (Maybe even becoming the new "one to beat", setting a new standard that shows the advances/capabilities in conversions now attainable.) The investment made in the conversion, will be made in the Blu-Ray sales, not the box office take. Word of mouth about the theatrical release quality will fuel sales numbers to some extent (theatrical tickets as well as Blu-Ray sales) naturally.

Not to hijack the thread down the "double dipping/triple dipping" arguments (I know! Oz VHS, DVD, Special 70th Box Set Blu-Ray right here!) There is going to be some reluctance by many to spend the money for the Blu-Ray, and that is where the word of mouth from the theatrical release may become a deciding factor. If they did it right, it will be added to many enthusiasts library. (I will undoubtedly add it once the price is less than $25.00, if the reviews are good.) I feel the studios are counting heavily on Blu-Ray sales.

And remember, if it's profitable for the studio in the end, it opens up more doors for conversions, and more double dipping/triple dipping profits eek.gifbiggrin.gif
post #332 of 367
^ And if it not profitable then what? biggrin.gif

On a side note, how about just using the 2d to 3D conversion in say a BDP-103/105 or equivalent and seeing how it works out against the restored Wizard of OZ for comparison purposes. smile.gif
post #333 of 367
I think the studios would want 3D to be successful, so they are able to capitalize on their inventory.

No question, stereoscope 3D is superior to conversions, but conversions are probably cheaper and easier to facilitate... both for what is in their libraries as well as what they have in the works already. Oz wasn't shot with 3D in mind ( like Titanic/Top Gun/Jurassic Park ) and is a true "classic" in every aspect. The examination of this conversion will be intense, and I look forward to hearing/reading the discussions.

and if it's not profitable... I would expect the resultant efforts at 3D conversion would suffer in the quality. That's not to say 3D dies, just that it will be rare (Avatar... Hugo... ) to see something well done.
post #334 of 367
Look at how despicable me 2 fared at the box office. It made more money because of 3d price increases and that it fell on the long 4th weekend. The first one made good use of 3d. Same for monsters u. Wwz did ok although I saw that in 2d. The best 3d conversion of the year goes to star trek into darkness since it was shot in 2d imax then converted to 3d. Will get the bluray soon.
post #335 of 367

I completely agree. Prometheus is by far the best 3D movie to date, in my opinion. I haven't owned my 3D TV for that long, but have watched enough. I just watched Finding Nemo 3D with my daughter. Personally, I don't really see all that much of a difference with animated films. Even though they can have more depth, the animation kinda kills it for me. It's just like the difference in animated films in 480p vs 720p vs 1080p. Not nearly as significant as true film. And it doesn't seem that hollywood cares to spend the extra money to film with a 3D camera. Nolan didn't film any of his Batman movies in 3D. Only blockbusters that heavily really in CGI produce 3D and even then, they either limit how much they film with a 3D camera or they don't film in 3D at all. I would love to see a documentary like Planet Earth in 3D, but doubt anyone will produce one anytime soon. I paid more for my TV so it would have 3D and I spent $240 for four pairs of glasses. I had to up my internet speed so I could rent 3D movies through Vudu. I pay more to rent and buy 3D movies. My opinion is that it is too expensive for the average Joe and there aren't enough movies being made to make it worth it, even if it were more affordable. Until they start making 10 or more movies / TV / documentaries per year that are like Prometheus, I will continue to tell others not to bother with it.

post #336 of 367
3D is so great,, i hope i have the necessary money to buy good quality 3D viewing equipment
post #337 of 367
I wish 3D would go away for a little while. It seems like everything, even stuff that came out years ago is being redone for 3D screens. It really bothers my eyes most of the time, especially when theaters order the crappy glasses, so I pretty ditch going to the theater most of the time.
post #338 of 367
Why not just be like most consumers and watch the 2D version of the movie?
post #339 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

To answer your first question no, I don't think its dead but I also don't think its really thriving either. In reference to the discussion above with NetworkTV I do think "marketing/advertising" in this case has reinvigorated 3D. 3D hasn't "evolved", yet innovation to include 3D BD players, 3D TVs and like you mentioned active glasses not to mention proffessional film gear and processes have made it "new" for the home and better in the theater. Without some form of innovation you really don't have any form of evolution when looking at consumer products - especially electronic and/or mechanical.

NetworkTV, Yes - marketing techniques do sell products. With the right marketing you could sell anything - but I also am a firm believer in that for that to work, you are also marketing to the "an idiot is born every minute" theory. If the case, your product wont last long in the marketplace. For an item, product or business to last as long as Apple, cars, jeans, you name it,, it takes a "demand" for it. Part of maintaining that demand will always be marketing. Most of that demand in regards to the types of items we are discussing however is innovation-technological advancements all promoting and/or affecting the products evolution.

As I mentioned previously, there is nothing I purchase that is a result of someone telling me I need it. It's a result of my desire and/or need for that product. 3D was/is no different. As for Apple products.. I once really disliked Apple, thought they were too proprietary in function. Still do in some aspects yet now own several of their products to include the iPad I am posting with. None of the Apple devices were purchased due to marketing/advertising. My wife brought home the first device due to its size and innovative design. She was looking for something to use while jogging and this looked like it would work best. She had no idea Apple was different from Sony or any other etc.. Why did we keep it and later buy other products from Apple: because they were innovative designs, built extremely well with a quality feel and function. Beyond that its just a justification of the price for that quality, form, fit and function.
- I look at innovation and evolution as a good thing. I know there are others that don't. Either way I understand and appreciate that freedom.

Cheers

I dont believe 3D is dead or going away. If you look at all the major Television manufacturers and the roadmaps for the future product development, you will see 3D included right along with 4k. Same with movie and video game systems. PS4 will play 3D discs. Also true that the BBC and ESPN are taking pause but big television systems like Sky in the UK are indicating that 3D has seen an uptick lately:

http://www.screendaily.com/news/digital/sky-confirms-3d-commitment/5058135.article

Also I believe sales of BD 3D discs are doing well enough that more and more are being announced for release and Redbox is now renting 3D discs along with Netflix and VUDU (purchase and rental).

Sarah
post #340 of 367
ok,
I went to my local best buy and I brought my Samsung Blu Ray 3D player and a couple of movies - Imax Under the Sea and Monsters versus Aliens. The Sony Rep hooked it up to the 55" 4K set, put in Under the Sea first, and if any of you have this movie, you will know which scene I am talking about, WOW, the fish looked like it was in mid air. Had around 7 best buy employees and 5 customers all watching this scene. it was amazing to say the least. but that is not all, while I did fast forward to get to the scene, looking at the movie when I hit play, it looked incredible, it actually had some incredible depth, like you were looking at a Aquarium, it looked that good. what I also did was to pause the movie to see if there was any glitching or crosstalk- NONE. people were going up to see how this was possible, it was just amazing to say the least.
the sony rep was blown away as well as everyone else was too, ok, so now I put in Monsters Versus Aliens, in the beginning of the movie, there is a guy playing with a paddleball and it too looked incredible, the ball was coming out of the screen lol.

I did this cause I mentioned to the sony rep that I would not make any decision until I saw what 3D looked like on this set, and he agreed to let me bring in my own equipment to test it out.

just to let you know, the Samsung 3D blu ray player was the BD-C6900


3D is not dead
post #341 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerGrove View Post


Also I believe sales of BD 3D discs are doing well enough that more and more are being announced for release and Redbox is now renting 3D discs along with Netflix and VUDU (purchase and rental).

Sarah

Don't know about Redbox, but Netflix's selection of titles is pretty poor to non existent. Every time I have an occasion to call their CS people, I pester them with "When are you guys going to get more 3D movies?" Naturally the response is "To invest in the number of copies of a title we'd have to buy, we want to judge if the demand is there". I tell them to put me down. It's a total Chicken or Egg deal, so EVERYONE, bug Netflix when you talk to their nice Customer Service folks ;-).
post #342 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonin View Post

Don't know about Redbox, but Netflix's selection of titles is pretty poor to non existent. Every time I have an occasion to call their CS people, I pester them with "When are you guys going to get more 3D movies?" Naturally the response is "To invest in the number of copies of a title we'd have to buy, we want to judge if the demand is there". I tell them to put me down. It's a total Chicken or Egg deal, so EVERYONE, bug Netflix when you talk to their nice Customer Service folks ;-).
Blockbuster says the same thing.
Plus the price of the 3D movies have to come down before it gets more popular... not many folks are going to pay $35+ for a 3D movie.
Not as many 3D HDTV's for sale as last year either.
I fear 3D is slipping away... nothing has change the past year.
post #343 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack54 View Post

Blockbuster says the same thing.
Plus the price of the 3D movies have to come down before it gets more popular... not many folks are going to pay $35+ for a 3D movie.
Not as many 3D HDTV's for sale as last year either.
I fear 3D is slipping away... nothing has change the past year.


Dude question #1 did you even read my post?

question #2 do you even read any other posts here besides 3D is dead threads?

every 4K tv being released is 3D , Vizio just released a bunch of M series TV's with 240hz 3D, one which I am considering is the 80 inch
with the 4K (upscaling) TV's the 3D is full 1080p each eye, all other TV's are 540p, the 3D that I saw on the Sony 55 inch 4K tv was amazing, and it is passive
question #3 do you use the internet?

www.samsung.com
www.vizio.com
www.lg.com
just to name a few

as far as purchasing the movies, go to amazon.com, search there, not all movies are $34.99 the Imax national Geographic Documentaries range from $14.99 and up, and some older ones even less

again, the internet is there at your fingertips
post #344 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oniichan View Post

Dude question #1 did you even read my post?

question #2 do you even read any other posts here besides 3D is dead threads?

every 4K tv being released is 3D , Vizio just released a bunch of M series TV's with 240hz 3D, one which I am considering is the 80 inch
with the 4K (upscaling) TV's the 3D is full 1080p each eye, all other TV's are 540p, the 3D that I saw on the Sony 55 inch 4K tv was amazing, and it is passive
question #3 do you use the internet?

www.samsung.com
www.vizio.com
www.lg.com
just to name a few

as far as purchasing the movies, go to amazon.com, search there, not all movies are $34.99 the Imax national Geographic Documentaries range from $14.99 and up, and some older ones even less

again, the internet is there at your fingertips
HEY DUDE!!! No need to put me down!!!
With only 22 posts on this forum doesn't make you an expert either wink.gif

I'm telling it like I see it.
What I see is LOCAL, not online.... and I'm online more than you probably.

And no, I hope 3D is not dead as I have a real nice $3K 3D HDTV & sound system in my home.

My take is no, it is not dead yet, but until you see the prices drop on the 3D movies, more selections with Netflix & Blockbuster and more 3D TV's for sale in places like BB, it is going to fade away.
Plus the fact that most all the women in my family hate wearing glasses and prefer Blu Ray movies. That doesn't bode well for 3D either.
post #345 of 367
ahhh, ok

not so sure I would trust Netflix for being able to deliver any 3D content, I think it might be to much info to stream

the best 3D is gonna be from a blu ray or until sony finally gets the media player content going, I was a lil sad to see that they put in the latest spiderman movie 4K but it is not the 3D version, bummer.......
post #346 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack54 View Post

HEY DUDE!!! No need to put me down!!!
With only 22 posts on this forum doesn't make you an expert either wink.gif

I'm telling it like I see it.
What I see is LOCAL, not online.... and I'm online more than you probably.

And no, I hope 3D is not dead as I have a real nice $3K 3D HDTV & sound system in my home.

My take is no, it is not dead yet, but until you see the prices drop on the 3D movies, more selections with Netflix & Blockbuster and more 3D TV's for sale in places like BB, it is going to fade away.
Plus the fact that most all the women in my family hate wearing glasses and prefer Blu Ray movies. That doesn't bode well for 3D either.

Wearing glasses to watch 3D is so very 2012. I've seen the glasses-free technology that's coming out later this year and 3D is going to become commonplace soon enough. TVs, computer monitors, tablets and laptops will all have the capability. In a few years people will take it for granted that 3D is ubiquitous and glasses-free. Furthermore, when people don't want/need 3D it will be easy enough to turn off and watch these screen in 2D.
post #347 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Wearing glasses to watch 3D is so very 2012. I've seen the glasses-free technology that's coming out later this year and 3D is going to become commonplace soon enough. TVs, computer monitors, tablets and laptops will all have the capability. In a few years people will take it for granted that 3D is ubiquitous and glasses-free. Furthermore, when people don't want/need 3D it will be easy enough to turn off and watch these screen in 2D.
...and still very 2013. I bet that "glass-free 3d will cost a bunch as all new technology things do... if it does come out, it will be a good couple years before the masses buy into it.
I'm one... will wait for prices to drop before buying one like I did for my current 3D HDTV. I'm happy with it for another year or so. Wifey will have to wait.
post #348 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack54 View Post

...and still very 2013. I bet that "glass-free 3d will cost a bunch as all new technology things do... if it does come out, it will be a good couple years before the masses buy into it.
I'm one... will wait for prices to drop before buying one like I did for my current 3D HDTV. I'm happy with it for another year or so. Wifey will have to wait.

You might be surprised how soon high-quality and affordable UDH glasses-free 3D becomes available. Don't ask me how I know these things. Keep your eyes open for an upcoming article on that exact topic.
post #349 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

You might be surprised how soon high-quality and affordable UDH glasses-free 3D becomes available. Don't ask me how I know these things. Keep your eyes open for an upcoming article on that exact topic.
Well, when I see them...hands on in BB, I'll believe it. wink.gif
As of right now... nothing.
post #350 of 367
Well .... I still love it. Got a new toshiba 55" passive 3D to go with my Optoma HD33 3D projector 120" screen. Also Have a Bloggie 3d to make my own. Biggest problem I see is Movie theaters and the sloppy Projector setups producing crosstalk. Its ten times better watching 3d at home IMHO.
post #351 of 367
Sorry your theater is bad, mine is terrific. "Smurfs 2" 4k 3d was the best PQ I've ever seen.
post #352 of 367
Yeah I've got to look further away. the first few times I watched realD the quality was great!! I dont know if its screens getting dirty and losing polarisation or the z screens not set up properly but the last 4 or 5 movies I've seen were ruined by crosstalk.mad.gif
post #353 of 367
Until this past weekend I (or anyone in my family) hadn't watched a 3D movie in months. My wife bought me Wrath of the Titans 3D BD from Costco back in like April/May b/c it was cheap and she thought I might like it and it sat unopened all this time. I was bored one night on Sat or Sun holiday weekend and noticed the 4 boxes or 3D glasses tucked away in our little table and decided to throw on a pair and throw in Wrath of the titans. I'm actually surprised the glasses still has juice considering several months had gone by since last being used...

I have to say I think I am going to get back into 3D movies. Wrath of the titans, although a ****** story and bad movie all around, looked phenomenal in 3D. B/c most of the picture is CGA and green screened, the terrain and images looked razor sharp with so much detail. Great depth perception. There's all this fire and brimstone throughout the movie and often these glowing orange ambers floating around which look so cool in 3D. Not much "pop out" effects except for a boulder at one point that rockets out directly at you which made my flinch lol.

I need some suggestions for really GOOD, I mean top notch, 3d BD films I should go out and buy. Again, wrath of titans is not a movie I'd recommend to anyone to see, but its now by default my official 3d demo disc. I liked it better than avitar in 3D in term of effect, and story for that matter.

I didn't buy my system for 3d but i'm actually starting to dig this feature again.
post #354 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack54 View Post

...and still very 2013. I bet that "glass-free 3d will cost a bunch as all new technology things do... if it does come out, it will be a good couple years before the masses buy into it.
I'm one... will wait for prices to drop before buying one like I did for my current 3D HDTV. I'm happy with it for another year or so. Wifey will have to wait.

MY cost on panasonic glasses was $55 EACH about this time last year (Oct-ish). That was $220 for four pairs, and these were bought for me by an internal employee of Panasonic; that was HIS cost, nevermind dealer cost.

Glasses-less 3d will definitely be nice to experience, but I agree I wonder how much any of this stuff will costs before it becomes mainstream. The new UHD or 4k sets look nice but where is the content? It took how many years (10?) for the tv to switch to HD after what 50+ years of NTSC format. They only just changed over broadcast in the last few years. I don't see them doing a continental overhaul again anytime soon. Mind you the pace of technological innovation continues to increase. Everything will depend on broadband capacities. If the average consumer will be able to stream a 4K movie or download in 10-20 minutes then maybe. I wonder if 4k can/will be broadcast OTA, etc.
post #355 of 367
Here's a few 3D movies that we found to be very good. The actual story content is open for debate but the 3D was very nice. Avatar, Hugo, Life of Pi, Upside Down, John Carter, Titanic, Men in Black 3 was only OK as was Ice Age:Continental Drift. You can find many reviews here on AVS Forum that are pretty picky so you can trust most of them. To me Avatar is the gold standard because Cameron shot the movie in 3D using the best state of the art equipment.
post #356 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Here's a few 3D movies that we found to be very good. The actual story content is open for debate but the 3D was very nice. Avatar, Hugo, Life of Pi, Upside Down, John Carter, Titanic, Men in Black 3 was only OK as was Ice Age:Continental Drift. You can find many reviews here on AVS Forum that are pretty picky so you can trust most of them. To me Avatar is the gold standard because Cameron shot the movie in 3D using the best state of the art equipment.

Thanks for suggestions Andy. I can see Life of Pi probably being a good one - haven't seen the movie or read the book but the reviews of the 2D BD said the imagery was stunning.

Funny about Avitar... the first and only time I watched Avitar was on my system when we demo'd 3D for the first time (I received an official panasonic demo disc with my purchase). I didn't even get halfway through the movie. I realise Avitar probably is the optimal demo disc for no other reason that just what you said - Cameron practically spawned 3d from that film. I just can't stand the movie, and I can't stand how Cameron created a POS film as a means to simply showcase 3d.
post #357 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Here's a few 3D movies that we found to be very good. The actual story content is open for debate but the 3D was very nice. Avatar, Hugo, Life of Pi, Upside Down, John Carter, Titanic, Men in Black 3 was only OK as was Ice Age:Continental Drift. You can find many reviews here on AVS Forum that are pretty picky so you can trust most of them. To me Avatar is the gold standard because Cameron shot the movie in 3D using the best state of the art equipment.

i would also recommend the great gatsby in 3d. I watched it last week. excellent 3d.

Jacob
post #358 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman512 View Post

Its ten times better watching 3d at home IMHO.

This is the part I completely agree with. I recently got a new PJ and 3D really wasn't even a consideration. Fortunately I ended up with one that does 3D quite well. And I LOVE my home 3D. The problem is entirely lack of content. I can't get content via PPV, Netflix, or Redbox. I'm getting a little sick of buying each movie as it comes out. Fortunately, resale is pretty easy. In fact, I have made quite a bit on a few titles.
post #359 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman512 View Post

Biggest problem I see is Movie theaters and the sloppy Projector setups producing crosstalk. Its ten times better watching 3d at home IMHO.

The last few RealD showings I've seen were terrible, the fault lying entirely with the theater, not the content. (There are no IMAX 3D theaters within two hours drive of me, or, evidently, a decent RealD theater). So if I give theater showings a zero, there is no meaningful ratio such as 10x, 20x, or whatever.

On my 65" passive TV, the same 3D movies are wonderful. I suppose there just aren't any theaters near me that give a damn about ensuring a good presentation. If 3D has lost momentum, that's why. When I show friends 3D Blu-Ray movies in my home, they're astounded how much better it looks than in any theater showing they've been to. How many people do you think have 3D TVs at home, or if they do have they bothered with getting a 3D standalone BD player? Not all that many, I'd guess.
post #360 of 367
Count me in the I hate 3D camp. The last 3D movie I saw was Star Trek into Darkness and I hated it. Flat cardboard cutouts passing each other. I have no interest in it and avoid a 3D showing whenever possible. I only will see a 3D film if it is the only showing I can get to.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Latest Industry News
AVS › AVS Forum › News Forum › Latest Industry News › 3D is Not Dead...