or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › HTPC Gaming › Will you head back to the consoles, or double down on PC gaming ? Fall 2013 - The Great Decision
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Will you head back to the consoles, or double down on PC gaming ? Fall 2013 - The Great Decision - Page 12

post #331 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

I don't know for certain that external HD doesn't work. It says it's not supported to expand storage. But that doesn't mean you couldn't plug in your external HD to play a movie file, of course you can't play MP3s from it.

It's due to the caching of game files, they don't want you to put them on an extrnal (although shoving a 5400rpm drive in as their main option doesn't help either... ) But if they don't let you play MP3s, do you really think they'll let you play movie files? Or at least ones you didn't buy from them?
post #332 of 370
You know, even though I posted that whole thing about why I wouldn't buy either console right now (but would, in the future, to play each console's exclusives), and would just continue on PC...

...a big part of me is compelled to buy the consoles anyway, at launch. They're new tech, they're interesting, etc.

But I know that they would spend most of their time dormant. It would be one thing if i had a reason to use them regularly, but even Netflix - hell, I can't even justify buying a Chromecast - my TV's Netflix and Amazon Video apps are absolutely sufficient. I haven't even played the whole backlog of 360 / PS3 exclusives, much less my PC backlog.
post #333 of 370
Looks like that same update was added to the MP3 playback in the FAQ. I see these things getting patched in.
post #334 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

Looks like that same update was added to the MP3 playback in the FAQ. I see these things getting patched in.

I'm sure they'll end up patching it in because people are NOT very happy about it right now. MS already did their backpedaling, time for Sony to do theirs.


One point I did forget, is the fact that unless the game states it's not required, you HAVE to subscribe to PS+ to play online multiplayer, just like XBL
post #335 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post

I'm sure they'll end up patching it in because people are NOT very happy about it right now. MS already did their backpedaling, time for Sony to do theirs.
One point I did forget, is the fact that unless the game states it's not required, you HAVE to subscribe to PS+ to play online multiplayer, just like XBL

One would think that the gaming public would start to understand by now that launches are always rocky.

never enough supply, servers always overloaded, features not complete, OS is buggy, etc. all of these would miss their deadlines if they weren't shipped essentially unfinished.

we can fold our arms and say it's unacceptable, but that's really meaningless. it's like, "Hits Price Target", "Released On Time", "Feature-Complete and Bug Free"...pick two!
post #336 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by gui3 View Post

One would think that the gaming public would start to understand by now that launches are always rocky.

never enough supply, servers always overloaded, features not complete, OS is buggy, etc. all of these would miss their deadlines if they weren't shipped essentially unfinished.

we can fold our arms and say it's unacceptable, but that's really meaningless. it's like, "Hits Price Target", "Released On Time", "Feature-Complete and Bug Free"...pick two!

It's not even that, it's the whole principle of all this.

Sony and it's fans gave MS loads of crap about the XBO and how they were "out of touch with consumers" and Sony made it a point to say that they 'listened to their consumers and were more in touch with what the consumers wanted". Now two weeks before launch they release their FAQ and half the stuff their consumers could do with their PS3, is now NOT there in the PS4.

If this was a brand new console from an unknown company, then you could make the argument that features would be figured out. But this is the 4th generation PlayStation, and it can't do things that even the first and second gens could? And yet MS is the one out of touch?

If I bought a PS2 at launch, i could take it home and pop in a movie and it would play. If I bought a PS3 at launch, I could pop in a bluray and watch it, WITHOUT needing to do an online authorization. Clear back to the PS1 they could play audio CDs. PS3 could play MP3s and do network streaming, most of this has all been done in some form on previous gens, so WHY is it missing from this gen? They're on x86 architecture finally, this stuff is all DIRT simple to include. Yet they chose not to.

Want to listen to music while you game? Or on your dashboard? Well, better subscribe to our $10/month music service!
Want to watch movies you have on your network? Well sorry, we decided NOT to include DLNA support.

Technology is supposed to get better and expand on previous gens, not get rid of features that are already established.

Sony is so proud that they can claim the PS4 hdd can be replaced, becauzse they know people will do it anyway, so there's no cost for them to eat. They put in a 500gb 5400rpm hard drive.... why? 1tb 7200rpm drives are dirt cheap! Even the 2.5in drives! Maybe if you put THOSE in , people wouldn't feel the need to swap out the drive and you could sell the system for more.

All this crap does is solidify my choice of PC. I'm not limited by any of this crap lol.

We fold our arms and say it's unacceptable because this many generations in it IS unacceptable
post #337 of 370
They focused on it's game playing abilities. Xbone focused on it's ability to be an entertainment device.

Now that they've told us what it can't do people are getting upset because we figure these should be a no-brainer included function. Apparently sony had a some-brainer and thought people didn't use these things. Or they expected people to just sheep into their stupid sub services.
post #338 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post

It's not even that, it's the whole principle of all this.

Sony and it's fans gave MS loads of crap about the XBO and how they were "out of touch with consumers" and Sony made it a point to say that they 'listened to their consumers and were more in touch with what the consumers wanted". Now two weeks before launch they release their FAQ and half the stuff their consumers could do with their PS3, is now NOT there in the PS4.

If this was a brand new console from an unknown company, then you could make the argument that features would be figured out. But this is the 4th generation PlayStation, and it can't do things that even the first and second gens could? And yet MS is the one out of touch?

If I bought a PS2 at launch, i could take it home and pop in a movie and it would play. If I bought a PS3 at launch, I could pop in a bluray and watch it, WITHOUT needing to do an online authorization. Clear back to the PS1 they could play audio CDs. PS3 could play MP3s and do network streaming, most of this has all been done in some form on previous gens, so WHY is it missing from this gen? They're on x86 architecture finally, this stuff is all DIRT simple to include. Yet they chose not to.

Want to listen to music while you game? Or on your dashboard? Well, better subscribe to our $10/month music service!
Want to watch movies you have on your network? Well sorry, we decided NOT to include DLNA support.
Technology is supposed to get better and expand on previous gens, not get rid of features that are already established.
Sony is so proud that they can claim the PS4 hdd can be replaced, becauzse they know people will do it anyway, so there's no cost for them to eat. They put in a 500gb 5400rpm hard drive.... why? 1tb 7200rpm drives are dirt cheap! Even the 2.5in drives! Maybe if you put THOSE in , people wouldn't feel the need to swap out the drive and you could sell the system for more.
All this crap does is solidify my choice of PC. I'm not limited by any of this crap lol.
We fold our arms and say it's unacceptable because this many generations in it IS unacceptable

You can learn from this that the stuff the companies say is ********, and not worth listening to. The quality of the consoles cannot be evaluated before launch, and it's probably not even useful to evaluate them until they've been in circulation for a few years. I mean, look at how much the 360 and PS3 have improved since their original launch. Look at how far the games have come.

Both companies play into the hype - the meaningless fanboy debates - to try and get pre-orders locked in.

Sony was taking advantage of the enthusiast gaming community's ridiculous and shortsighted backlash against the Xbox One's features.
If the community had expressed excitement about the new Kinect and game sharing, for example, you can bet your ass Sony would have bundled their camera and matched the price point.

Why leave features out for launch? Because they're not finished. And making the Holiday Launch is more important. And Sony made the right choice - The people who wait on lines overnight to buy the PS4 are not going to rush home and transfer their MP3 collection, or stream a movie over their network. They're going to load up a game and say WOW SUCH GRAPHICS. So long as that experience works, people will be happy enough with the purchase that they won't run to the forums screaming PS4 SUX.

"unacceptable" is an easy word to throw around. But the sales still happen, and that says "acceptable!" louder than any blog, review, or forum post.
post #339 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by gui3 View Post

You can learn from this that the stuff the companies say is ********, and not worth listening to. The quality of the consoles cannot be evaluated before launch, and it's probably not even useful to evaluate them until they've been in circulation for a few years. I mean, look at how much the 360 and PS3 have improved since their original launch. Look at how far the games have come.

Both companies play into the hype - the meaningless fanboy debates - to try and get pre-orders locked in.

Sony was taking advantage of the enthusiast gaming community's ridiculous and shortsighted backlash against the Xbox One's features.
If the community had expressed excitement about the new Kinect and game sharing, for example, you can bet your ass Sony would have bundled their camera and matched the price point.

Why leave features out for launch? Because they're not finished. And making the Holiday Launch is more important. And Sony made the right choice - The people who wait on lines overnight to buy the PS4 are not going to rush home and transfer their MP3 collection, or stream a movie over their network. They're going to load up a game and say WOW SUCH GRAPHICS. So long as that experience works, people will be happy enough with the purchase that they won't run to the forums screaming PS4 SUX.

"unacceptable" is an easy word to throw around. But the sales still happen, and that says "acceptable!" louder than any blog, review, or forum post.

You keep saying 'because they're not finished'. But the thing is, all of these features pretty much, were in the PS3, so how could they NOT be finished? All they had to do was include them. And with the system being on x86 architecture, it's even EASIER to do so than it was to initially include them on the PS3. They chose not to. Not to make a holiday launch, but because they want to make more money by requiring a sub to their music service, or to make sure you buy your digital movies from them this time. THAT is the point. If these were 100% new features, that argument of unfinished would be valid, but these are 100% OLD features and there was NO reason other than money, to not include them.
Edited by Marafice Eye - 11/1/13 at 5:58am
post #340 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post

[quote name="gui3" url="/t/1452643/will-you-head-back-to-the-consoles-or-double-down-on-pc-gaming-fall-2013-the-great-decision/330#post_23898821"]You can learn from this that the stuff the companies say is ********, and not worth listening to. The quality of the consoles cannot be evaluated before launch, and it's probably not even useful to evaluate them until they've been in circulation for a few years. I mean, look at how much the 360 and PS3 have improved since their original launch. Look at how far the games have come.Both companies play into the hype - the meaningless fanboy debates - to try and get pre-orders locked in.Sony was taking advantage of the enthusiast gaming community's [I]ridiculous and shortsighted[/I] backlash against the Xbox One's features.If the community had expressed excitement about the new Kinect and game sharing, for example, you can bet your ass Sony would have bundled their camera and matched the price point.Why leave features out for launch? [B]Because they're not finished[/B]. And making the Holiday Launch is more important. And Sony made the right choice - The people who wait on lines overnight to buy the PS4 are not going to rush home and transfer their MP3 collection, or stream a movie over their network. They're going to load up a game and say WOW SUCH GRAPHICS. So long as that experience works, people will be happy enough with the purchase that they won't run to the forums screaming PS4 SUX."unacceptable" is an easy word to throw around. But the sales still happen, and that says "acceptable!" louder than any blog, review, or forum post.[/quote]You keep saying 'because they're not finished'. But the thing is, all of these features pretty much, were in the PS3, so how could they NOT be finished? All they had to do was include them. And with the system being on x86 architecture, it's even EASIER to do so than it was to initially include them on the PS3. They chose not to. Not to make a holiday launch, but because they want to make more money by requiring a sub to their music service, or to make sure you buy your digital movies from them this time. THAT is the point. If these were 100% new features, that argument of unfinished would be valid, but these are 100% OLD features and there was NO reason other than money, to not include them.

You're right. I don't know that they were not finished... I suppose I was only considering the most innocent scenario.

It could absolutely be something as dumb as licensing contracts...

... or an attempt to capitalize on the rush of buying a new console, hoping users will sign up for their premium music and video services as well. All these companies have learned that subscriptions and lock-in are the holy grail.

In any case, corporate BS.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
post #341 of 370
Quote:
In any case, corporate greed.

Fixed that for ya.

Honestly, it's simply more justification as to why I don't need a PS4. I'm gaming quite happily on my PC with my 360 wireless controller setup and, soon, a wheel setup.
post #342 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by gui3 View Post

One would think that the gaming public would start to understand by now that launches are always rocky.

never enough supply, servers always overloaded, features not complete, OS is buggy, etc. all of these would miss their deadlines if they weren't shipped essentially unfinished.

we can fold our arms and say it's unacceptable, but that's really meaningless. it's like, "Hits Price Target", "Released On Time", "Feature-Complete and Bug Free"...pick two!

That's always been a problem, but even more so as console hardware has had to keep up with outside tech and expectations. The more feature support and the more powerful tech, the bigger and more complicated the OS. And historically jumping to a new platform means a re-write of the OS from the ground up every time you release a new system.

Both MSONY had to once again build a OS from scratch to work with the new architecture.

But hopefully they stick with X86, and this is the last time for each that they have to rebuild their bridges from nothing. Maybe going forward, they'll finally be able to leverage what came before as far as OS and API development goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post

It's not even that, it's the whole principle of all this.

Sony and it's fans gave MS loads of crap about the XBO and how they were "out of touch with consumers" and Sony made it a point to say that they 'listened to their consumers and were more in touch with what the consumers wanted". Now two weeks before launch they release their FAQ and half the stuff their consumers could do with their PS3, is now NOT there in the PS4.

You're reaching there. Especially with blaming "Sony fans", since plenty of Xbox customers expect more from and of MS.

People might have assumed, but Sony never mislead anyone. They've been pretty clear about focusing their effort on games, developers, and gamers 100% until launch. People might expect it, and they have a right to let Sony know they want it; but Sony never put it out there as part of the deal in the first place.

And when they did lay out everything that's going to be there at launch, and stuff was missing; they didn't turtle and deflect. One of their Executives tweeted that he went to the PS4 team directly and relayed the customers message, and that they'll keep everyone updated on what they can do.

That's a bit different than the circling of the wagons that MS has done, which has causes uproars over and over again (some of it justified, some of it not).

Edit: Case in point from a few min ago:
080zyuod.jpg

That's downright condescending to customers, especially Xbox fans.
Edited by TyrantII - 11/1/13 at 8:36pm
post #343 of 370
This whole next generation pre-season console battle has been pretty ugly--too much FUD-slinging...it's hard to separate the fanboys from the media...I think they've merged.

I have noticed that Sony is getting a pass on some of the news surfacing lately...that's just in comparison to how gamers reacted to Microsoft. People seem to be able to shrug their shoulders about PS4's limitations in hopes that they will be added later. And I'm not sure when this news broke, but I thought Sony's position was they were NEVER going to include the same DRM as Microsoft was initially, but recently I saw a rumor that Sony actually did implement the same DRM--some have speculated it was done as a precaution so that developers wouldn't shy away from their platform--WHICH IS WHAT EVERYONE ASSUMED, but Sony denied...so now the FUD has it that BOTH systems and their networks have to be patched to bypass the DRM? Sony is spared the outrage and gets to maintain its "for the gamers" image...it's actually funny.

And don't even get me started on Microsoft and it's XB1's PR crapfest...most incompetent messaging ever. I think some of these companies get so big and powerful that they can't see the forest for the trees--that and they think their excrement doesn't stink--how they didn't anticipate the negative reactions for their vision of the XB1, and thus have a plan in place to overcome it...it was amateur hour at its most humiliating. I swear, every time a MS employee opens their mouth, something ridiculous comes out--they spin worse than politicians. It makes me roll my eyes every time I hear someone compare the private sector to the government--as far as competence goes--because just like the government, these large corporations have enough money and power to be as inept as they can be.

All of that said, neither of these systems really compare to what I can do with, or the performance of, my PC's--but I will get the Xbox One on Day One because of the things it can do with the kinect. If the PS4 comes out with something cool and gimmicky, I'll eventually pick it up too. Hopefully multi-platform titles will be available on PC (Steam) --so that's the plan for them.

I'm not made of money, but I'm going with Choice 3...what can I say, I do like my gadgets and gizmos.
Edited by JediMastr - 11/3/13 at 2:33pm
post #344 of 370
post #345 of 370
Seriously.

Brings up a funny point (about this specifically too) is that Marafice and I (lol) love to tease about Forza and it's supposed to multi-monitor viewing "ability". I'm not sure if the most recent ones still do it but I know the older ones would let you...

Get FOUR 360's, get FOUR copies the the game... and then four tv's, etc. Now you can have multi-monitor console gaming*. That's a lot for ...just one game. "Yep. I have an extra copy of Forza but I can't lend it to you. That copy is just for my rear view mirror."

* - Only Forza is capable of multi-view


What a crock.
post #346 of 370
This time around, more than ever, there is more of a reason NOT to get a console.

The new consoles are based on x86 so we will get better ports
Steam Controller promises to give most if not all games a controller for those that really want to play at the couch
SteamOS and Steam Consoles
PC still has the power to kick a console to the curb graphically....

Also, Kinect 2 will be coming to PC in the future which will be a nice feature for a HTPC

Sure there are a few games that I would really like to play on the consoles. Hwoever, none of them do I want to pay $60 for.
post #347 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

This time around, more than ever, there is more of a reason NOT to get a console.

The new consoles are based on x86 so we will get better ports
Steam Controller promises to give most if not all games a controller for those that really want to play at the couch
SteamOS and Steam Consoles
PC still has the power to kick a console to the curb graphically....

Also, Kinect 2 will be coming to PC in the future which will be a nice feature for a HTPC

Sure there are a few games that I would really like to play on the consoles. Hwoever, none of them do I want to pay $60 for.

Two months ago I was convinced I'd need both consoles. Now I'm 99% certain I'm returning the Xbox one, and probably only buying exclusives for PS4.
post #348 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

This time around, more than ever, there is more of a reason NOT to get a console.
Also, Kinect 2 will be coming to PC in the future which will be a nice feature for a HTPC.

Maybe. Kinect 1's PC support was limited to development purposes. In other words, for most end-users, there was little to nothing that you could actually do with it. I'd love to see them change that with Kinect 2 and fully integrate it into Windows (the same for the Xbox One controller for that matter), but I don't see it happening.
post #349 of 370

I will confess to never using a Kinect but am I the only one that couldn't care less about its features?  What's so great about waving your arms about and yelling voice commands to perform a function?  A button on a controller works (and has worked) just fine for many years.  I hate to sound like an anti-technologist but the whole thing seems extremely gimmicky and stupid. 

 

Gimmicky is what they said about the Wii when it came out and, although there have been some great motion control games, it pretty much feels gimmicky these days.  I love Mario Kart Wii and although the motion control works well in that game, it seems like an unnecessary bother when the joystick on the nun-chuck works just as well (better.)  I absolutely hate having to wiggle the Wii-mote to get the kart to perform a function. 

 

Sorry to sound all negative.  Back to the original point of the thread, no, no I will not be purchasing any of the "next gen" consoles and am looking to upgrade the graphics card in my PC.  1080p seems to be asking a bit much out of my GTX 285 for some games.

post #350 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSmooth View Post

Can a console do this?]

Sure, $1000 worth of GFX cards in SLI without any other associated costs.

tongue.gif

Contrary to popular belief, the most bad ass PC's have always been a good step ahead of the consoles even at launch. The question is and always will be how much do you want to pay and tinker.

smile.gif
post #351 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Sure, $1000 worth of GFX cards in SLI without any other associated costs.

tongue.gif

Contrary to popular belief, the most bad ass PC's have always been a good step ahead of the consoles even at launch. The question is and always will be how much do you want to pay and tinker.

smile.gif

That's always blown out of proportion. It really wouldn't cost much to get games running better than 720p/30fps. tongue.gif
post #352 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger View Post

That's always blown out of proportion. It really wouldn't cost much to get games running better than 720p/30fps. tongue.gif

Check the thread DaverJ and I started, you can build a PC for $500 to pull off console resolution and frame rates.
post #353 of 370
I can't believe MS is still making mistakes like this at this stage of their launch. And Sony is no better with their deception around DRM and who knows what else...as commented on by Tyrant11 over on the Xbox One thread. I'm talking about it here, because this kind of amateur hour stuff is one of the reasons I lost complete interest in consoles. Especially when the real spec's & launch day game releases underwhelmed me. If I'm truly honest with myself...I'm all in, 100% with PC gaming going forward. I may not ever buy a Next Generation console. I don't know how early adopters of them will know what they are paying for, until about late 2014. Between SteamOS and whatever MS decides to do in the PC space...I'm pretty content with it. Because...as I have said on many occasions...VR is really next gen anyway. And it will be PC and Mobile for a good while.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57611377-75/was-microsoft-using-ps4-watch-dogs-footage-on-youtube/
Quote:
Watch Dogs may look so good on the PlayStation 4 that even Microsoft decided to showcase the game on its competitor's hardware.
That or someone made a colossal mistake when uploading gameplay footage of the upcoming Ubisoft stealth action title.
post #354 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post

Check the thread DaverJ and I started, you can build a PC for $500 to pull off better than console resolution and frame rates.

Fixed that for ya. wink.gif
post #355 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post

Check the thread DaverJ and I started, you can build a PC for $500 to pull off console resolution and frame rates.

Let's face it, the main reason people dont game on a PC more than what they do is because of the fact that they think that they need to spend bucko bucks to get a decent system.

The one I am running right now cost me $900 when I built it a few years ago. The only difference now is I have added an SSD and I have also moved to a much bigger and more expensive case that was designed for watercooling. However, I may use that case as a server and build something smaller. Single GPU setups cost less tend to run with less issues ....

Anyways, you can build a really good system now with an AMD APU unit and get one the their GPUs that will run in crossfire with the integrated GPU and have a really good system for a very moderate price. But I think people see these $400+ GPUs and think that is the only way that they can get the performance that they want which is FAR from the truth.
post #356 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

Let's face it, the main reason people dont game on a PC more than what they do is because of the fact that they think that they need to spend bucko bucks to get a decent system.

The one I am running right now cost me $900 when I built it a few years ago. The only difference now is I have added an SSD and I have also moved to a much bigger and more expensive case that was designed for watercooling. However, I may use that case as a server and build something smaller. Single GPU setups cost less tend to run with less issues ....

Anyways, you can build a really good system now with an AMD APU unit and get one the their GPUs that will run in crossfire with the integrated GPU and have a really good system for a very moderate price. But I think people see these $400+ GPUs and think that is the only way that they can get the performance that they want which is FAR from the truth.

People also rarely factor in resale value and reuse of components. The $1000 or so for a gaming PC is just the up front cost. The case, PSU, KB, mouse, etc....those will last you as long as a console generation. A cpu/mobo lasts many years as well, maybe add a few GB of ram down the line. Run out of storage? No need to replace the drive, just add another. The only thing that really needs updating on a regular basis is the GPU, but when you factor in the resale value of your current card, upgrading really isn't that bad. Take the $120 you save from not having to pay to play multiplayer, and that's a solid midrange GPU upgrade every two years right there.

And then when the major parts of the PC have outlived their usefulness as a gaming rig, you can always repurpose it as a server, HTPC, secondary PC etc.

Any one part fails you just replace that part, anything on a console fails and the whole thing is trash or sent in for a very costly repair.

Once you factor in all that, along with the cheaper price of games on steam, humble bundles etc - I think you could make a very good case that the overall cost of PC gaming is equal if not cheaper than console gaming in the long run.
post #357 of 370
Another thing is that you don't need the absolute maximum quality settings used for benchmarking to have an amazing looking game on PC. There are some graphical features that really bog down performance for marginal visual benefit, and once disabled or lowered raises your frame rates by a lot while the game still looks quite a bit better than what a console can offer.
post #358 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger View Post

That's always blown out of proportion. It really wouldn't cost much to get games running better than 720p/30fps. tongue.gif


His post was in response to 3 way SLI with 3 monitors. Yes that does cost more than $1000. For the display devices only. We all know the costs of a PC is under $1000 for decent game play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

Another thing is that you don't need the absolute maximum quality settings used for benchmarking to have an amazing looking game on PC. There are some graphical features that really bog down performance for marginal visual benefit, and once disabled or lowered raises your frame rates by a lot while the game still looks quite a bit better than what a console can offer.

That's a good point. I almost always turn down shadows. Pointless effect really. Unless your shadow has some effect on gameplay, which I don't think it ever has. I'm trying to remember a game where AI reacted to your shadow, and can't think of one.
post #359 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Sure, $1000 worth of GFX cards in SLI without any other associated costs.

tongue.gif

Contrary to popular belief, the most bad ass PC's have always been a good step ahead of the consoles even at launch. The question is and always will be how much do you want to pay and tinker.

smile.gif
I'm willing to spend

Kind sir, I am willing to spend and tinker as much as it takes in order to achieve at least 60 fps at my triple-monitor resolution.
post #360 of 370
This comment belongs here because I made my choice to "double down on PC gaming. But I do plan to buy a new console one day. Meaning Xbox One version .2 or .3. And Ditto for PS.

I am dismayed about the tone, emphasis and focus of comments on the console threads (except Nintendo). I find myself rarely reading those threads now. Even though there are a lot of old favorite writers over there, whose comments I value dearly. But way too much of the comment structure is about thinly veiled disappointment and denial IMO. Actual game discussion is relegated to 1-3 games that no one seems to have any passion for. The equipment faults, frustrations and defects are unacceptable if everyone is honest with themselves. The Xbox One threads are uniquely about issues that seem more relevant for Cable Box, Harmony Remote and HDTV discussion areas of the forum. It just is not about the games or gaming technology to me. Yet many seem to be convincing themselves that activating vocal commands for viewing functions that are readily available in a myriad of "Old tech" source devices is somehow "next Generation" experience. All the while...command structure breakdowns & omissions suggest it is not even up to the standards of Harmony Remotes. If those comments are true, I know there is absolutely no way my wife would allow me to connect a frustrating command and control system that way on our main viewing HDTV. And if that was the case...what would be the purpose of it?

I suspect all of this will improve for core gamers when games like Titan Fall, Halo 5 and Destiny come out. But those games will also be available on Xbox 360 too. And there is very little incentive for us users (minus early adopters) to switch our HD source from Xbox 360 to Xbox One. Not to belabor the point...but that is why I think it was such a huge strategic error for MS and Sony to launch without Backward compatibility. To disallow users to play their prior generation HD game backlog and library on the new platforms were shockingly negligent, arrogant and egregious to me. And that issue alone was the deal breaker for me buying one early. As many people said on theXB1 thread said. Why BC? Just play them on your XB360. And my answer was...exactly! Neither MS or Sony eliminated the need for the previous console this time around. And they both had too. They should have delayed both launches until at least 50% of those libraries were BC. That was obviously more important than trying to squeeze the last ounce of resolution out on launch day. Especially since resolution has been iffy (especially with XB1). I believe both console companies will figure this out pretty fast BTW. Probably already have. And by 2015 BC or some kind of system for BC will be in full force.

It just looks to me like early adopters are being sort of forced to be patient and sit on $500 beta's until MS, Sony and game developers get their acts together (in 2015 & beyond). Right now my frame of mind is this. the comments have actually moved me much farther away from trying one of those consoles anytime soon. Or maybe never. Because until either one can actually replace what I have...and play my HD games from the previous model (Xbox 360 in this case) along with the new...it has no value whatsoever to me. Especially in the face of imminent rollouts of SteamOS and Oculus Rift. Omission of backward compatibility...especially in these particular consoles were just disgraceful & shortsighted IMO. Because both are nothing more than Updates/upgrades of previous models. BC actually would have helped them move some people like myself off the fence early. At least Nintendo did actually offer something new and innovative (integrated mobile device controller). It's really weird. The more I read about Xbox One and PS4...the less I like about either one. Both just seem like a complete waste of time for me right now. I couldn't imagine spending $500 for something I can only play Forza 5, BF4 and Halo 5 on.

On the other hand I couldn't be happier with the status and future of PC gaming. And I sure don't mean that from a fanboy standpoint. Because I love console gaming too. That is just relegated to Xbox 360, PS3 and WiiU for right now. Because I was not expecting brain dead launches from MS and Sony with consoles loaded with defects and dumb strategic errors.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HTPC Gaming
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › HTPC Gaming › Will you head back to the consoles, or double down on PC gaming ? Fall 2013 - The Great Decision