or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Good/Small bookshelf speakers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good/Small bookshelf speakers

Poll Results: What to buy

 
  • 0% (0)
    New fronts
  • 60% (3)
    New sub
  • 40% (2)
    Don't waste your money - $200 won't help
5 Total Votes  
post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Current setup

Yamaha VX571
Polk Monitor 30ii front
Polk CS1 Center
Sony B1000 surround
Sony HTIB sub

Large room, but we typically use it for dialogue centered movies (with soundtrack). Not terribly interested in feeling subwoofer, but like rich sound. Fronts are bookshelf b/c we only have room for speakers with 11.5" total height. What would the best use of money be (Figure max $200.) New fronts, move the 30's to the back or new sub? I wouldn't want a sub with a bigger total width than 12"

Thanks so much
post #2 of 11
An HTiB sub is a complete joke... I would pick this guy up

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882665157

A little bigger then you want, but a nice smooth response to below 30hz, and decent output capability makes this a very good value.

New mains would be the next consideration
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

An HTiB sub is a complete joke... I would pick this guy up

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882665157

A little bigger then you want, but a nice smooth response to below 30hz, and decent output capability makes this a very good value.

New mains would be the next consideration

It looks like a great value but the same bookshelfs that cramp my fronts make a sub bigger than 12" nearly impossible unless it was wireless
post #4 of 11
Well if you were to get new speakers you'd need a new center too unless you stay with Polk Monitors. You're not going to get all 3 speakers for $200.

I would suggest the HTD Level TWO speakers but they're 11 7/8" tall. So you'll have the same problem.
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers/Level-TWO-Bookshelf-Speakers
post #5 of 11
That's a really tough size for your budget, as you're only going to find crap that small under $200 frankly... If you up your budget a little you can get a sub with some decent slam that will fit in your 12" gap

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=304-012

(9.8" wide)
post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Well if you were to get new speakers you'd need a new center too unless you stay with Polk Monitors.

I saw there are now Monitor 35s but I have no idea if they are an improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

You're not going to get all 3 speakers for $200.

I would suggest the HTD Level TWO speakers but they're 11 7/8" tall. So you'll have the same problem.
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers/Level-TWO-Bookshelf-Speakers

I could live with going piecemeal - front and then waiting a month for the center, but the 11.5" is a pretty hard limit (and replacing the shelves would not fly with the boss)
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by crcostel View Post

Current setup

Yamaha VX571
Polk Monitor 30ii front
Polk CS1 Center
Sony B1000 surround
Sony HTIB sub

Large room, but we typically use it for dialogue centered movies (with soundtrack). Not terribly interested in feeling subwoofer, but like rich sound. Fronts are bookshelf b/c we only have room for speakers with 11.5" total height. What would the best use of money be (Figure max $200.) New fronts, move the 30's to the back or new sub? I wouldn't want a sub with a bigger total width than 12"

Thanks so much

Save up some more money. You're not going to get any meaningful or even noticeable improvement for $200 unless you get one of the "better" $200 subs like the Bic F-12, or Polk 505 or Energy 10.3 or similar.

And if those won't fit, well, again keep saving until you can purchase something that will make a difference.
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
post #9 of 11
They're not very good....
post #10 of 11
Quote:

I would pass
post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Good/Small bookshelf speakers