or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Spartacus: War of the Damned on STARZ
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Spartacus: War of the Damned on STARZ - Page 2

post #31 of 213
Another good show but brutal as usual. I don't think I've ever seen a more realistic stoning. Julius Caesar has always been depicted as dark haired, not sure how I feel about the blond.
post #32 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylan View Post

Another good show but brutal as usual. I don't think I've ever seen a more realistic stoning. Julius Caesar has always been depicted as dark haired, not sure how I feel about the blond.
Ehh, only in the movies...all images we have of him were when he was older and in stone. Can't make any hair color predictions from that. Also, those statues are flattering as per historians he was described as "hair challenged" Those statues were an elaborate comb over. Anyway, liked the show. I think Ceasar (a bit twisty, what? Not sure what that dagger blowie was all about.) will be interesting even though he looks like a high school quarterback. Liam, being 6'2" really makes Crixus and Gannicus look like short men. Me thinks IMDB is lying about their heights. He's also developed more charisma which is a nice thing, but he's still a bit wooden when compared to Andy.
post #33 of 213
I guess I am referencing Ciaran Hind's portrayal of Ceasor from the excellent series Rome as my idea of what he should look like, even though he was older and, like you say, hair challenged smile.gif

AFA the bloodletting, my wife was thinking circumcision. Me, I think he is just twisted.
post #34 of 213
Anyone think Caesar looks a little like Brad Pitt or Liam Hemsworth? The second he made his entrance I was just thinking .. well, this guy could probably play Thor if Liam was preoccupied. biggrin.gif I'm still disappointed how Spartacus fights. Basically the first season showed Spartacus actually show skill. The subsequent seasons shows Liam flailing his arms left and right. That's how he fights. Andy as Spartacus, if he were still alive, would kill this Spartacus in seconds.

It's like no effort has been put into the fight choreography for Spartacus - Gannicus still fights like an expert, which leads me to believe it's really the actor, Liam, who is at fault here. He doesn't even use dual swords anymore .. which was his trademark thing.

Ugh...

The other thing is that Liam is so very small. Very puny physique and he has had MORE than enough time to bulk up. We aren't asking for a body builder here, but come on. Everyone in the camp is physically bigger than Spartacus, besides that monkey man ...that screams like a girl. wink.gif
post #35 of 213
Thread Starter 
Awesome moment with the taking of the city, intense!
post #36 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Awesome moment with the taking of the city, intense!

Very much this. Seems Spartacus is taking way too many risks with this strat. Twice now he and a few have assaulted place (Villa now City). Sooner or later his overconfidence will be the end of him :P

I like the interaction between him and the Lady of the city.
post #37 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrich S View Post

Anyone think Caesar looks a little like Brad Pitt or Liam Hemsworth? The second he made his entrance I was just thinking .. well, this guy could probably play Thor if Liam was preoccupied.

yes he does have that Norse viking look wink.gif

that's exactly what came to mind. not the sort of person Caesar really looked like nor consistent with typical Roman appearance, darker complexion & hair being in the Med. he's also portrayed as brutish and uncouth, not the Julius Caesar who was a great strategist, wrote about his exploits, Caesar's Gallic Wars, which I had to read in Latin eons ago and had the cunning to outsmart the senate and become the dictator of Rome.

IMHO, the actor seems miscast. but it's still very early in the series.
post #38 of 213
Anyone want to wager that Spartacus and the Redhead roman girl will fall for each other?

Right now she's kind of angry because he killed her husband, but he was an ass, so maybe she is even relieved... (she was also spared and not killed)

Crassus slave girl is so so hot... no wonder he fell for her and ignores current wife
post #39 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrich S View Post

Anyone think Caesar looks a little like Brad Pitt or Liam Hemsworth? The second he made his entrance I was just thinking .. well, this guy could probably play Thor if Liam was preoccupied.
I think you mean Chris not Liam. Ceasar does look a bit like Pitt and Hemsworth, but Chris Hemsworth is much bigger (so's Liam) and would emasculate Ceasar if they were in the same frame. Thor vs. Ceasar would be a wet spot on the floor. 6" and 50lbs of muscle on Hemsworth would make Ceasar look like a toyboy or as I said before a high school quarterback. If you're comparing him to Tiberius, that guys 5' nothing at most.
post #40 of 213
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Anyone want to wager that Spartacus and the Redhead roman girl will fall for each other?

Right now she's kind of angry because he killed her husband, but he was an ass, so maybe she is even relieved... (she was also spared and not killed)

Crassus slave girl is so so hot... no wonder he fell for her and ignores current wife

I would think they would get another love interest for him to make the end even more tragic.
post #41 of 213
Great start to the season. Fight seems appear to be even more gory and that's not a bad thing. I agree that Liam is not Andy, but nobody is...Andy was born for that role. I think Liam is a good substitute. Only issue I had in the latest episode was the Agnon love scene. I don't think of myself as homophobic, but was that really necessary? I think the fan base for this show is majority men right? I mean we get it, they are in love, but little too much.

Set to purpose!
post #42 of 213
Thread Starter 
What was the pirate going to do with the torch if he needed it against Spartacus? throw it in the air and have his ships bombard the area where he is standing????
post #43 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

What was the pirate going to do with the torch if he needed it against Spartacus? throw it in the air and have his ships bombard the area where he is standing????

Haha I thought of that also. Maybe the City but rather Odd that.
post #44 of 213
I figured they were planning on firing on Spartacus and his men as they were marching back to the city with their "sample" of goods. I figured the Romans most likely attacked Spartacus and his men from the rear, cutting them off so they couldn't return to the city. That would have put the Romans right in the line of fire for the pirates ships if my theories are correct.
post #45 of 213
Is there some reason that there are no new shows for the next couple of weeks? I was checking my "to do list" DTV and there are no new shows for the next 2 weeks.
post #46 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopper810 View Post

Is there some reason that there are no new shows for the next couple of weeks? I was checking my "to do list" DTV and there are no new shows for the next 2 weeks.
Oh man, TV.com cites Episode 4 "Decimation" to air February 22, 2013. ..set DVR to purpose..
post #47 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by C*Tedesco View Post

Great start to the season. Fight seems appear to be even more gory and that's not a bad thing. I agree that Liam is not Andy, but nobody is...Andy was born for that role. I think Liam is a good substitute. Only issue I had in the latest episode was the Agnon love scene. I don't think of myself as homophobic, but was that really necessary? I think the fan base for this show is majority men right? I mean we get it, they are in love, but little too much.

Set to purpose!
I agree, there was no need for that scene.
post #48 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR1MM View Post

I agree, there was no need for that scene.

I presume that this show has a gay following. It certainly objectifies men even more than it objectifies women. Nothing wrong with equal opportunity eroticism.

http://www.advocate.com/arts-entertainment/television/2013/01/24/gay-action-hero-spartacus-back-tonight?page=0,0
post #49 of 213
Finally caught up on the last 2 episodes, both great.

Wtf happened to Mira?

Chick following Gannicus is cute.
post #50 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipfreak View Post

Finally caught up on the last 2 episodes, both great.

Wtf happened to Mira?

Chick following Gannicus is cute.

Mira died in last season's finale.
post #51 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

Mira died in last season's finale.

Much to my chagrin... wink.gif
post #52 of 213
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipfreak View Post

Chick following Gannicus is cute.

Agreed, wow!
post #53 of 213
She did!? Christ, how did I miss that!? Ugh... these damn long breaks for shows.
post #54 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Agreed, wow!

+1000 here... I didn't find anything wrong with her at all, she was absolute perfection.. but I guess Gannicus likes them dirty
post #55 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipfreak View Post

She did!? Christ, how did I miss that!? Ugh... these damn long breaks for shows.
post #56 of 213
Man, I don't remember that. Thanks.
post #57 of 213
So anyone besides me think Naevia has lost it? Wonder how Gannicus is going to take the news?
post #58 of 213
Yep, other than she hates Romans and didn't trust the blacksmith, I really had no idea what she had going on in her head. Batsh*t crazy from abuse, I presume. Gannicus didn't look pleased. This is gonna probably split Sparty and Crixy up...which happened in history...fairly soon I suppose.
post #59 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by C*Tedesco View Post

Great start to the season. Fight seems appear to be even more gory and that's not a bad thing. I agree that Liam is not Andy, but nobody is...Andy was born for that role. I think Liam is a good substitute. Only issue I had in the latest episode was the Agnon love scene. I don't think of myself as homophobic, but was that really necessary? I think the fan base for this show is majority men right? I mean we get it, they are in love, but little too much.

Set to purpose!
I think Liam has gotten better and even some swagger this season like Andy. He's got a bit of an attitude now. Definitely looks more comfortable.

I agree that those sex scenes are a little much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipfreak View Post

Finally caught up on the last 2 episodes, both great.

Wtf happened to Mira?

Chick following Gannicus is cute.
She's ok but Ellen Hollman as Saxa looks awesome this season!
post #60 of 213
The problem with Liam (for me) is that he does not look the part. He does not sound the part. I refuse to believe that he was the best of the best - *no one* would think he was the "Bringer of Rain" or that he took part in all those arena battles. He has this annoying nasal quality to his voice that has not improved since the premiere of the second season.

Look at his build. He has almost no muscle - Andy had a six pack, proper muscles, but was lean and he had loads of charisma. He was likeable. This guy has no charisma. He talks like some well educated Roman with a nasal issue. There is almost zero fighting technique, he just flails his arms about. What irritates me is that they had MORE than enough time to prepare Liam for the role. He could have tried to LOOK the part at the very least. But he looks like a boy among the other slaves just... very, very difficult to take seriously, so all his speeches just don't resonate ...

Yes, we're stuck with Liam and no one can replace Andy, but for me that first season is really the only season I'm concerned about. I'll watch the remaining episodes but it's just off-putting.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Spartacus: War of the Damned on STARZ