or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Can a homebrew sonotube powered subwoofer sound as good as an hsu?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can a homebrew sonotube powered subwoofer sound as good as an hsu?

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
I mean by a "regular" guy following directions on the Internet, tuned right, but not a professional speaker maker. I just found these and wondered about them.

Or would it cost more to do it than buy it?
post #2 of 20
example: 18" ported sonotube
amp-$300
bfd-ebay-$50
(alternate-amp with built in DSP $350)
materials for cabinet-$100 (could be less)
18" driver-$300

so you would have $750 plus your labor in a sub that should spank the HSU. It may not look as nice, nor be as compact (you could build a 15" version).

plus you would have these components already purchased for use in the future in other combonations.
post #3 of 20
Vitamin nailed it pretty good.
With the ability to buy pro amps for power, and make the cabinet as big or fugly as you want, you can save a lot of money, or rather, get a lot more for it.
post #4 of 20
I built my two LLT sonotubes in 24 hours, and I would be willing to put them up against just about any commercial or ID offering. Yes, there are a few out there that would beat them out. but they are good for 115dB down to 11hz and that is pretty darn solid. I will now have to use 8 sealed drivers to get that same response. Eh, I might take those LLT's off the classifieds and just give em another shot smile.gif
post #5 of 20
Absolutely, and then some... My own subs are not specifically sonotube, but based on the same design principles I now have 'the bass of my dreams'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by likemovies View Post

I mean by a "regular" guy following directions on the Internet, tuned right, but not a professional speaker maker. I just found these and wondered about them.

Or would it cost more to do it than buy it?
post #6 of 20
Thread Starter 
Can you just use stuff from Part-Express to do it?
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by likemovies View Post

Can you just use stuff from Part-Express to do it?

Yup.

The Dayton 18" Reference sub, combined with a powerful enough amp (1000+ watts RMS), in a decent box, can spank the HSU. Sounds easy enough, but there is a lot involved to really tweak the sound.
post #8 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

Yup.

The Dayton 18" Reference sub, combined with a powerful enough amp (1000+ watts RMS), in a decent box, can spank the HSU. Sounds easy enough, but there is a lot involved to really tweak the sound.

How do I know what amp to buy with a given driver?
post #9 of 20
Depends on the driver's power handling. The dayton ref 18 can take 1000 watts and be happy. So you find a 1000watt amp to pair it with. If you are doing two or leaving room for expansion, get a 2,000 watt amp (like the behringer ep4000). How much output are you looking for? Something along the lines of the HSU? That is about what I said earlier of around 115dB from 20hz and up, and you will be able to spit on the HSu's pricetag.
post #10 of 20
Thread Starter 
So you can't buy something like this to make it work?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-802
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by likemovies View Post

So you can't buy something like this to make it work?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-802

100 watts isn't going to get you anything. Try something more like this:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-809
post #12 of 20
Thread Starter 
So by comparison if I look at:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/subwoofers.html

Then the wattage, I can estimate the amp I would have to purchase to reach the same Hz using the same size driver?
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by likemovies View Post

So by comparison if I look at:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/subwoofers.html

Then the wattage, I can estimate the amp I would have to purchase to reach the same Hz using the same size driver?

No. It is all about how much air you can move. Some drivers may only have 12mm of xmax and others could have 30mm of xmax.
Reply
Reply
post #14 of 20
well, the dual drive system is two sealed 15" subs, with two 1000 watt amps. Not just the size of the driver matters, but its specs as well. some 15 inch drivers only have 3mm of xmax while others have 53mm of excursion eek.gif These are major differences!! Bottom line, if you were to get two of the dayton 18" ho's and built two identical boxes to the hsu's only a little bigger, and gave each sub around 1000 watts, you would still blow that HSU out of the water, and trim the AT LEAST in half!!!! I would say at that point to not purchase a plate amp that I previously linked, but a standalone professional amplifier like the EP4000. It would power two just fine smile.gif you could also go for a 15" variety if you have space constraints, which at this point I would suggest the Stereo Integrity 15ht.

EDIT: Just saw Mike beat me to it smile.gif
post #15 of 20
Thread Starter 
I need to study. eek.gif
post #16 of 20
eh, read a little and post your questions here, we are all happy to help. Seems this might be your first foray into DIY, so welcome! Being in Atl, if you ever wanted to hear the benefits of going DIY, you could demo my theater, where every speaker in it is DIY from the subs to the surrounds smile.gif
post #17 of 20
Thread Starter 
Yes. It is. I'm new. Thank you (everyone) for help.

One thing maybe you can answer. I have seen lots of threads on websites about building subs, many sonotubes, boxes, etc. Ok. I've seen the calculators and all that winisd, etc.

They usually ask what volume you want your container/tube/box to be. How the heck am I supposed to know that? I saw that in a sonotube thread somewhere. Someone said, What volume do you want? I don't know. I was hoping someone could tell me that. I only know to buy the sonotube stuff, the physicality of constructions, but dimensions? Even if I put in the T/S specifications, I couldn't tell what the enclosure should be. I don't think I'm doing something right smile.gif.

edit: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/enclosure-volume-calculator/#axzz2IpnDIIwx

See the cylinder enclosure? How the heck do I know what to put in there? I want them to tell me that.
Edited by likemovies - 1/23/13 at 6:05pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by likemovies View Post

Yes. It is. I'm new. Thank you (everyone) for help.

One thing maybe you can answer. I have seen lots of threads on websites about building subs, many sonotubes, boxes, etc. Ok. I've seen the calculators and all that winisd, etc.

They usually ask what volume you want your container/tube/box to be. How the heck am I supposed to know that? I saw that in a sonotube thread somewhere. Someone said, What volume do you want? I don't know. I was hoping someone could tell me that. I only know to buy the sonotube stuff, the physicality of constructions, but dimensions? Even if I put in the T/S specifications, I couldn't tell what the enclosure should be. I don't think I'm doing something right smile.gif.

edit: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/enclosure-volume-calculator/#axzz2IpnDIIwx

See the cylinder enclosure? How the heck do I know what to put in there? I want them to tell me that.

First, you need to decide driver and then plug into WinISD, then use the volume of the box that is vented and calculate the cylinder volume needed using the calculator you posted above.

Keep cranking,

Robert
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by likemovies View Post

Yes. It is. I'm new. Thank you (everyone) for help.

One thing maybe you can answer. I have seen lots of threads on websites about building subs, many sonotubes, boxes, etc. Ok. I've seen the calculators and all that winisd, etc.

They usually ask what volume you want your container/tube/box to be. How the heck am I supposed to know that? I saw that in a sonotube thread somewhere. Someone said, What volume do you want? I don't know. I was hoping someone could tell me that. I only know to buy the sonotube stuff, the physicality of constructions, but dimensions? Even if I put in the T/S specifications, I couldn't tell what the enclosure should be. I don't think I'm doing something right smile.gif.

edit: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/enclosure-volume-calculator/#axzz2IpnDIIwx

See the cylinder enclosure? How the heck do I know what to put in there? I want them to tell me that.

First, you need to decide driver and then plug into WinISD, then use the volume of the box that is vented and calculate the cylinder volume needed using the calculator you posted above.

Keep cranking,

Robert
post #20 of 20
It's great that you are learining the nuts and bolts of this hobby and that's probably the best way but...if you get frustrated and just want to start building something, just simply look through threads on other people's projects and copy what they did. There's no shame in that. Lots over at hometheatershack as well.

With ported it's pretty critical that you get the details right (or close). With sealed, not so much.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DIY Speakers and Subs
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Can a homebrew sonotube powered subwoofer sound as good as an hsu?