or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Camcorders › The Official Panasonic HC-V720 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Panasonic HC-V720 Owners Thread - Page 7

post #181 of 224

I'd be very interested in the follow-up to your experiment.

post #182 of 224

I'm looking at getting this camcorder but it looks like after being out a year its still hard to get batteries. Any updates on this issue?


Edited by gastch - 12/10/13 at 9:13am
post #183 of 224

First off thanks for all the info on this thread, it’s just about answered most of my questions

 

But before I purchase the V720 I have one question on how good this is as a night vision camera, in dark if not pitch black conditions, it’s not very clear on the Panasonic website, a friend on mine said he thought it had an integrated infrared light for night vision??

 

Has anyone tried this camera in these conditions??

What where the results??

Any learning points or advice??

 

Thanks

post #184 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battski View Post

First off thanks for all the info on this thread, it’s just about answered most of my questions

But before I purchase the V720 I have one question on how good this is as a night vision camera, in dark if not pitch black conditions, it’s not very clear on the Panasonic website, a friend on mine said he thought it had an integrated infrared light for night vision??

Has anyone tried this camera in these conditions??
What where the results??
Any learning points or advice??

Thanks
Consumer cameras and camcorders are made to work in "low light". But, the definition of that is vague. Basically, it means you'll get something recorded if there is enough light to see. That could be inside in a normally lit room at night like at a birthday party. Or it could be a night street scene with store window light or street lights.

There is a small integrated light that will flash for a still photo and add some continuous light for a video clip. I've not used it, but it would work like a small flashlight. There are additional LED arays that can be attached, including one from Panasonic called the "VW-LED1".

In short, consumer gear records visible light not "heat" signatures.

Try this for more information: http://www.flir.com/US/

(In the 70's I got to fly a Navy spy plane with a FLIR (forward looking infrared) system. We spied on Soviet Navy ships in the dark. It could "see" lots of things we didn't think were there!)
post #185 of 224
Hello Treboros. Thanks for the interesting information about your streaming project. Looking forward to hear the continuation. I thought I just want to share my experience with V720 and streaming. I have on several occasions used V720 to live stream from the local ice hockey club. Sometimes I use the camera's built-in WIFI but if I need better quality I connect the camera to my PC via HDMI through AverMedia Live Gamer Portable, which converts the signal to H264. On my PC, I can put scoreboard and various advertisements on the streaming (in Open broadcaster software). At this link you can see the result, which is a recording of the live broadcast: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/40713182

Regards
Jesper
post #186 of 224

I just bought the V720 from B & H, and the manual is in PDF form on one of the 2 enclosed CD's inside the box.

post #187 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytro44 View Post

I just bought the V720 from B & H, and the manual is in PDF form on one of the 2 enclosed CD's inside the box.
Welcome to the forum!

Most, if not all, manufacturers do that now. It is inconvenient if you like reading a book, but very convenient if you are a tablet owner and reader.

For us old people, it has become an odd world where you can buy a .pdf reader like a Kindle "Paper White" for nearly the same price as getting your .pdf instruction manual printed at Kinkos!

I have a color Kindle Fire and it works very well for viewing camcorder videos.
post #188 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post


Welcome to the forum!

Most, if not all, manufacturers do that now. It is inconvenient if you like reading a book, but very convenient if you are a tablet owner and reader.

For us old people, it has become an odd world where you can buy a .pdf reader like a Kindle "Paper White" for nearly the same price as getting your .pdf instruction manual printed at Kinkos!

I have a color Kindle Fire and it works very well for viewing camcorder videos.


lol, sorry about that, I hit "reply" rather than "quote" on a post from 6 days ago, asking about the full manual.

 

I agree about the need to download a pdf, but I do understand the reasoning behind it.

 

 

So far I like the camera, it's only been in my hands for 2 days, but I looks like it will do what I really bought it for, and that was to stream my daughters wedding this summer, so my aging parents can see the wedding that they won't be able to attend. I've played around with the streaming for the last 2 days, and other than some lag between real life and the stream, it's all good.

post #189 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytro44 View Post


lol, sorry about that, I hit "reply" rather than "quote" on a post from 6 days ago, asking about the full manual.

I agree about the need to download a pdf, but I do understand the reasoning behind it.


So far I like the camera, it's only been in my hands for 2 days, but I looks like it will do what I really bought it for, and that was to stream my daughters wedding this summer, so my aging parents can see the wedding that they won't be able to attend. I've played around with the streaming for the last 2 days, and other than some lag between real life and the stream, it's all good.
I'm impressed with the scope of your project!

It seems obvious that the universal disappearance of manuals is related to cost, especially with the current feeling that so many languages should be included. But also, the usefulness of .pdfs is greater due to the ability to search for key words.
post #190 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post


I'm impressed with the scope of your project!

As for my project, Thanks, I hope everything works out as planed. The wedding is on Aug. 2, on Chautauqua Lake, NY, roughly 2-1/2 hours east of my parents. The groom is from Chicago area, and a lot of his family won't be making the 8-9 hour drive for the wedding, so streaming would just work the best. I'll be in the area checking out all the details of what additional hardware I'll need to get (WI-FI extender/Access point/router, Cat6 cable...) the signal to my USTREAM channel. I have time on my side at this point, and I'm planning on taking advantage of it, and nailing down this production!

 

I'm looking at a possibility of a Blackmagic Intensity Shuffle to grab the HDMI from the camera and send it to my i7 laptop via USB 3, but that is an extra $200 I'm not ready to fork out yet!

 

Also, anyone know the best way to transfer the AVCHD files so Sony Vegas 11 can work with them? I'm going to start playing around with these files this Sunday, when I edit the morning service from Church, and mix in the files from my new camera with the MP4 file from the camera at church.

post #191 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytro44 View Post


Also, anyone know the best way to transfer the AVCHD files so Sony Vegas 11 can work with them?
The short answer is that it does not matter as long as you find the large .m2ts files on the SD card. You can plug the camera in or use a card reader. The strange file structure and extra files are for HDWriter, the software that came with your camera. Vegas won't use or care about the little files. If you have no use for HDWriter, all you need to do is copy the .m2ts files and leave the rest behind.

The longer answer is that HDWriter does some things not easily accomplished elsewhere. One is to quickly join segments from a long clip. Due to SD card format limitations, long clips are stored in 4GB chunks. HDWriter will quickly join them to a new .m2ts file you can put into Vegas. Vegas may also be able to join the 4GB segments, but some say a frame or two will drop out at the joint.

I use HDwriter as the first step after shooting. Once HDWriter puts all the files in an organized file system, I use other editing software to work on copies. Doing it that way preserves the ability to use the few features of HDWriter if at some point I want them.

Bill
post #192 of 224
Good suggestions, thanks Bill!
post #193 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

Vegas may also be able to join the 4GB segments, but some say a frame or two will drop out at the joint.

fyi for Vegas: when joining together AVCHD/mts files, the "Device Explorer" function has to be used: search for files/select all that need to be joined through the DE...and mts files have to be on the card reader (that were recorded from camera) or via USB to camera's drive. It won't drop any frames if Device Explorer is used correctly.

For some reason, you can't copy and paste the files onto the hard drive and have Vegas/Device Explorer join them.. although tsmuxer can join from the hard drive.
post #194 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws View Post

fyi for Vegas: when joining together AVCHD/mts files, the "Device Explorer" function has to be used: search for files/select all that need to be joined through the DE...and mts files have to be on the card reader (that were recorded from camera) or via USB to camera's drive. It won't drop any frames if Device Explorer is used correctly.

For some reason, you can't copy and paste the files onto the hard drive and have Vegas/Device Explorer join them.. although tsmuxer can join from the hard drive.

Interesting!

AVCHD is a Panasonic and Sony invention. Maybe Sony Vegas knows what all the extra AVCHD files are for and uses them to knit the 4GB segments together with "Device Explorer" much like HDWriter does. Adobe Premier Elements (that I use) will load the the individual segments and you can edit them in a project for rendered output, but it does not join them into a single source file.
post #195 of 224

hello.

can anyone verify if the v720 can handle sdxc UHS-I card?

i just bought this type of card, and after passing through this thread, i see that one person here said that panasonic told him it does not supported by the camera, and other person got the opposite answer, that the camera support this kind of card.

so can anyone check it out and can tell me what are the results?

thanks!

post #196 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholizar View Post

hello.
can anyone verify if the v720 can handle sdxc UHS-I card?
i just bought this type of card, and after passing through this thread, i see that one person here said that panasonic told him it does not supported by the camera, and other person got the opposite answer, that the camera support this kind of card.
so can anyone check it out and can tell me what are the results?
thanks!
Welcome to the forum!

Page 13 of the v720 instruction manual:

post #197 of 224

thanks.

so i understand it is not supported.

post #198 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholizar View Post

thanks.
so i understand it is not supported.
It does not say that. At Panasonic's store, under the accessories tab, a SCXC U1 Class 10 card is listed as an option. The manual page 13 says it will take SCXC card. By SD standards, the XC version is much faster than the minimum of the Class 4. You can't buy an SDXC card that is not rated at U1.

The bit rate of the highest v720 recording quality is 28 Mbps (bits). Card speeds are rated in MBps (bytes). The math between megabit and megabyte writing speeds can be confusing. What the manual says is that a Class 4 speed will do the job. The write speed of a Class 10 SDHC is about three more than you need or the camera can produce. The price of speed in a U1 is a true waste of money in this camera.

SDXC cards are made for people that own cameras producing significantly greater data flows that a v720

If you have a SDXC, you can use it. But, if you are buying one, it is a waste of money.

The larger capacity of a SDXC cards may have value for some. But, to use 64 GB of space you will need a few batteries. Many travelers prefer a collection of 16GB cards, and change them out once or twice a day, rather than having one big card. The theory is that if they have a card failure, they will loose only a fraction of their vacation videos rather than all of them.

Maybe you should google SD cards. Wikipedia has a good article. SD cards were first, smaller and slower. SDHC cards followed with more speed and up to 32GB capacity. SDXC cards are the newest with faster speeds and capacity well beyond the SDHC limit of 32GB.

Note that the newer huge and fast SDXC cards may not work in older computers and card readers, even if they do work in the camera.

As prices dropped, I've stocked up and have a half dozen 32GB Class 10s. Current price, depending on brand and promotion, are around $25.

If I needed some more cards today, I would probably buy a couple of these Sony 32GB SDHC cards at $17 each. http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Class-Memory-SF32UY-TQMN/dp/B00B7ID99I/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1387388241&sr=1-4&keywords=sdhc+memory+card

In fact, I think I'll order a couple for the camera I suspect is under the tree!
post #199 of 224

thank a lot of your great answer!

well i already bought 2 sdxc cards, of 64GB each(one is UHS-I(sandisk ultra), and one regular class 10(not UHS-I)(transcend).

i didn't thought about a card failure.

is it happens a lot?

post #200 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholizar View Post

......i didn't thought about a card failure.
is it happens a lot?
I've never experienced a failure, nor do I know anybody that has. Of course you can find exceptions by googling through various forums and blogs. Usually it appears those failures were due to user misuse.

I shoot pictures and video. Then I transfer the data to my computer. Next, I back up the computer to an external drive. When that is done, I put the card back in the camera and do an in-camera format to make a clean card for the next shoot.
post #201 of 224

Hi,

     I am just looking at buying my first camcorder. I am undecided between the v720 and the X920. It will mainly be used for videoing me presenting to camera with either a white, black or chroma key screen. It will be tripod mounted.

 

Occasionally I will need to video one of my friends drumming seminars for around 2 hours.

 

 

The footage will mostly be uploaded to Youtube or Vimeo.

 

I saw both camorders at the dealers today. I am just a little concerned the X920 will be overkill and the v720 might not be enough.

 

 

Any thougts in favour of the 720, is it capable?

 

 

                                                           Ian

post #202 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post


I've never experienced a failure, nor do I know anybody that has. Of course you can find exceptions by googling through various forums and blogs. Usually it appears those failures were due to user misuse.

I shoot pictures and video. Then I transfer the data to my computer. Next, I back up the computer to an external drive. When that is done, I put the card back in the camera and do an in-camera format to make a clean card for the next shoot.

thanks mate :-)

post #203 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malinois View Post


Any thougts in favour of the 720, is it capable?

Yes. Tripod mounted video for YouTube will not be difficult. There is a difference in the sensor systems of the two cameras, but that won't make much difference for what you are doing.

Buy from a reputable retailer or dealer. Most have a satisfaction period. Do some trials with the v720 that would test it for what you intend to do. If you don't like it. Get a refund and buy the more expensive camera.
post #204 of 224
Yes, it will handle a UHS-I card. I have been using a Sony 32GB microsdhc uhs-I (with an adapter) without any problems.

Does anyone know if there have been any firmware updates for this camera ? The version I have is v1.1 and just want to make sure its up to date.
post #205 of 224

I bought a 720 and it takes great video. I have two questions.

1) what video editor software is recommended?  I will be shooting in the highest 1080p  format.

2) I can not get the camcorder to connect to my cell phone. I have followed the instructions all for naught.  Can I get help here.

post #206 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes720 View Post
 

I bought a 720 and it takes great video. I have two questions.

1) what video editor software is recommended?  I will be shooting in the highest 1080p  format.

2) I can not get the camcorder to connect to my cell phone. I have followed the instructions all for naught.  Can I get help here.

 

As for the editing software, I have been using Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 11, for both my V720 and my GoPro Hero 3. Well worth the $50 I paid for it through Amazon. If you go Vegas Pro, it costs more, but it does offer additional editing tools, but for me, these tools haven't been needed... yet.

 

As for the V720 connecting to your phone, make sure the phone's wifi is on, and the app is running, then hit the wifi button on the V720, and then tap the connect to phone button on the touch screen. Mine connected right away.

 

Hope this info helps.

post #207 of 224

 

Hi to all the happy owners of the HC-V720. You bet it, I've got a question for you, about Ustream broadcast.

Panasonic website says about the V720 : "Built-in WiFi enables Real Time Broadcasting of important events via Ustream, while recording images in Full-HD."

My question is : Have you tried simultaneous broadcast & recording ? If you did, where is stored the recorded video?

 

I bought the V520 in the hope of being able to record Full-HD on the SD Card while boradcasting but I don't manage to (although Panasonic says it can!). I want to know if ugrading to the V720 can make it (record & broadcast) possible.

Thank you for your answers.

post #208 of 224

Hi, I'm new here and shortly I plan to buy this camera, Before purchasing, I would like to know some less significant questions :-)

 

1. Can someone post some images made by this camcorder in low and normal light conditions in full resolution please?

2. Is there option to connect to view cam video over the IP address (playing by VLC player etc.) something like IP cam?

 

Thanks

post #209 of 224
Hi, I am new here too
I have seen some excellent videos on youtube just do a search, great looking camera but sadly I can't answer your second question however according to Amazon here in the UK the V750 is due to go on sale in a few days so you may prefer to go for the more recent camera. This will shoot at 120p and should be an improved camera overall.
post #210 of 224

120p, its really great!

Unfortunately in my country are available only V720, very pitty, and shopping abroad for such high price its too risky for me + some postage taxes

About question 1 - I thought photos, not videos. I read that the camera is not too great, so I would like to see some pictures

 

EDIT: I just noticed that V750 is brand new, knows anybody when will be out?


Edited by Nikishek - 2/19/14 at 12:31pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Camcorders
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Camcorders › The Official Panasonic HC-V720 Owners Thread