or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Pioneer SP-BS22 vs. Polk Monitor 35B. Which is better?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pioneer SP-BS22 vs. Polk Monitor 35B. Which is better?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
What do you guys think is best option for an economical set of music-only (or music-mostly) computer monitors?

For now I'll be using the Lepai TA2020+ with a better power adapter. Eventually I'd like to step up with an external DAC and a Topping amp. Or maybe the Topping amp with built-in DAC

  • SPS-BS22's for $90 at Amazon?
  • Polk Monitor 35B's at Newegg for $119?
  • And how would either of those compare to older Paradigm Mini-Monitors or Atoms? I'm expecting more bass...but what else?
    If I'm lucky I can score these on Ebay in this price range – of course, shipping could push it over.
  • something else?
.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!!!
post #2 of 14
Thread Starter 
No opinions?

C'mon...I'm itching to spend some money. smile.gif
post #3 of 14
Haven't heard the Polk Monitor 35b, but I was never a fan of the Monitor 30 which they seem to be a newer model of. Maybe they've improved.

I do like the sound of the Pioneers, but I'd be tempted by a used pair of Paradigms.

Sorry. I know that didn't help that much.
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswanker View Post


  • SPS-BS22's for $90 at Amazon?
  • Polk Monitor 35B's at Newegg for $119?
  • And how would either of those compare to older Paradigm Mini-Monitors or Atoms? I'm expecting more bass...but what else?
    If I'm lucky I can score these on Ebay in this price range – of course, shipping could push it over.
  • something else?
.

I will take the BS22 over the Polk and the Paradigm Mini Monitor and Adam speakers.
The older Paradigm Monitor bass is somewhat boomy and mushy sounding, and the
midrange somewhat dark sounding. The Pioneer is more clean, clear and open to me,
with more tight and controlled bass.
post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
I think you guys are mostly in line with my thoughts. Appreciate the feedback.
post #6 of 14
I used to own the Monitor 30's, and I imagine they are nearly identical to the 35b's except for an upgrade in cosmetics. Comparing BS22's to M30's, I'd give the edge to the Pioneers. Overall better sounding to me: less harsh highs, tighter bass & mid bass, and a fuller sound. I'm not very good at describing speaker characteristics, but the Pios were clear winners to me in that price bracket short of buying used gear.

If you haven't already bought that Lepai amp, you could look into getting a 100wpc Sure board for the same price off Ebay. Only draw back is that it doesn't have a gain attenuator, but you could control volume through your PC. They make great budget amps for a PC set up or small DIY projects.
post #7 of 14
I am not a big fan of the pioneers. I recommend the Polk monitor 40's or 45's over the 30's.
post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
I'm sure the 40s and 45s sound better than 30s and 35s but they're a bit too big for my space....And I know a ton of this is subjective, but I appreciate the responses anyway. Its helping hear from others.
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswanker View Post

I'm sure the 40s and 45s sound better than 30s and 35s but they're a bit too big for my space....And I know a ton of this is subjective, but I appreciate the responses anyway. Its helping hear from others.

Fry's & Best Buy have both speakers set up for customers to listen. No online review is as effective as a live audition. Are you ruling out used gear? One can find amazing deals on Craigslist and Audiogon on a low budget. If desk space is limited, could you use speaker stands instead?
post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyde01 View Post

Fry's & Best Buy have both speakers set up for customers to listen. No online review is as effective as a live audition. Are you ruling out used gear? One can find amazing deals on Craigslist and Audiogon on a low budget. If desk space is limited, could you use speaker stands instead?

Hi,

No, certainly haven't ruled it out. I've been watching ebay and craigslight like a hawk!

Speaking of used gear, is there an age point past which it shouldn't be considered? I've seen some people discussing worn out crossovers and things like that. So it concerned me a bit. But my main set of paradigms is pushing 10 years old now, and they seem fine to me. Would like your opinion on that.

(PS: agree with your point about live auditions. I also know there's some speakers I won't get to hear live, for example a good deal on ebay or something. We used to have a great hifi place in town, but they went out of business long ago. Its a shame that places with a good, wide selection of equipment are so much rarer these days. At least, they seem rare outside of the big cities.)
post #11 of 14
Thread Starter 
duplicate post.
Edited by rswanker - 1/26/13 at 11:20am
post #12 of 14
Considering the def tech sm350/450? Good speakers...
post #13 of 14
Thread Starter 
I hadn't thought of those...will look at them. Thanks.
post #14 of 14
When I compared the Polk m40s to the series one pioneer (bs41?)...IMHO, the polks won in an a/b challenges. I haven't heard either speaker's upgraded self!
And I currently own the polkm40s and the def tech sm450s...and IMHO, it is no contest! The def techs are the better speaker!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Pioneer SP-BS22 vs. Polk Monitor 35B. Which is better?