or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › which should I get first, sub or center?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

which should I get first, sub or center?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
I have a Yamaha RX-V473 receiver and a pair of Polk RTi8's. I know I want to get both a sub and a center, but I'm just wondering what people think would be better to get before the other. If it helps any, as far as subs go I'm looking at either Polk PSW505 $190 at Newegg or a mfr refurb Polk DSW pro 440WI for $243. The center I'm considering is mfr refurb CSi5 for $225. Thanks a lot!
post #2 of 14
Sub.

Here's a Klipsch RW-12d for $300 w/ code. EMCXWVS87
post #3 of 14
I think it depends on your preferences and situation.

I think a 3.0 is a better build for a home theater setup (movies) and a 2.1 is better for listening (music). I opted to go with a 3.0 because I am more than satisfied with the bass I'm getting out of my TSi300 for now (especially when calibrated). I imagine the RTi8's would do even better in that regard.
post #4 of 14
I would always say sub before center, but if these are the subs you are looking at, I would add the center and save for a good ID sub or dual subs.
post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

I would always say sub before center, but if these are the subs you are looking at, I would add the center and save for a good ID sub or dual subs.

Clearly you're not a fan of the subs I'm considering...What is it about them that you don't like?
post #6 of 14
The Polk PSW 505 isn't a bad sub per se. But if you want a real performer then ID subs are going to give you much more value for your money. As far as the rest of Polk subs go, they're not very good.
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPopov View Post

I have..a pair of Polk RTi8's. I know I want to get both a sub and a center, but I'm just wondering what people think would be better to get before the other.
That depends on where you think the system shortcomings are. With your floorstanders a sub won't go so much lower to make much difference other than in output. If you can't get the low end output you want do subs first, two twelves. One twelve won't make a huge difference compared to four sixes, and you can't smooth room modes with one sub. Otherwise get a center first,
post #8 of 14
+1 on Yoda. Get a center unless you're willing to spend enough to get a much more expensive sub than what you are looking at or 2 nice ones. Either way you're talking somewhere in the $600-$1000 range.
post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

With your floorstanders a sub won't go so much lower to make much difference other than in output. ,

Thanks, I was leaning toward the center 1st for that very reason. So no complaints about the CSi5 center to go with my RTi8's?
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPopov View Post

Clearly you're not a fan of the subs I'm considering...What is it about them that you don't like?

I'm not a fan either. You are looking at budget subs when your speakers are a higher class. Wait until you can get a good 12" ID sub.
post #11 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I'm not a fan either. You are looking at budget subs when your speakers are a higher class. Wait until you can get a good 12" ID sub.

What makes them bad compared to the ones you think are good? Since the big boxes don't carry any of that, it's frustrating that there is no way to hear them so an explanation would be really helpful, thanks!
post #12 of 14
Well...you can go Phantom center... But if you get decent tower fronts ...Sub is not absolutely required ..right away. We are all assuming HT purposes I think.

You will want your center to match your front stage speakers...front left and right... So its normally best to buy all 3 at once. Tough call.

I think the deciding factor is your front sound stage floor standers or not...if not then go with sub.
post #13 of 14
Center first than save up at least $400 for a subwoofer.

the CSi5 is the matching center for the RTi8's

I have the RTi4's and CSi3 center and it sounds perfectly!
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPopov View Post

So no complaints about the CSi5 center to go with my RTi8's?
It's probably no worse than most horizontal centers, but it is flawed. The midbass drivers should be spaced as tightly as possible. Horizontally placed drivers will have comb filtering at the upper end of their bandwidth, with narrowed dispersion at the lower end, and the wider they're spaced the worse it is.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › which should I get first, sub or center?