or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › $500-1000 price point SVS, HSU, Rythmik or REL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

$500-1000 price point SVS, HSU, Rythmik or REL

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Not wanting to start a fanboy debate, but wondering if anyone out there has any A/B experience with any 2 of the brands (or more). I had been leaning toward SVS for quite awhile, but reading good things lately about HSU, and also wondering about Rythmik and the newer under 1000.00 Rel models. I am looking for the "musically accurate" model of the bunch. As precise as this amount of money will get me. I have an older NHT model and it truly is a one note wonder! Thanks.
post #2 of 13
If your budget is $500-1000 that pretty much eliminates the 15" Rythmik.

I would focus on an Hsu VTF-15H, a pair of SVS SB or BP1000 subs, and the PSA XS15 and XV15 subs.

How large is your room? Is is sealed, or open to other rooms? And this is almost exclusively for music?
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
My room is approx 12' X 22' with cathedral ceiling that is approx 13'. Equip, TV and main speakers are along the long edge of the room. It does open through a bar area into the kitchen and into the entry way hall and halway into the rest of the house. I do listen to a lot of music mostly jazzy (Steely Dan) and sometimes more classic rock, but also acoustic guitar and classical. I probably watch 3-4 movies a week either on disc or sometimes HDTV broadcast. Am hoping to keep it to one sub, although there are advantages with two.

Also, noticing a couple of Rythmiks in the $974-1124 price range. That's still in the ballpark. Just not wanting to spend 1500-2000+ for subs.
Edited by mahdlokg - 1/25/13 at 2:41pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahdlokg View Post

My room is approx 12' X 22' with cathedral ceiling that is approx 13'. Equip, TV and main speakers are along the long edge of the room. It does open through a bar area into the kitchen and into the entry way hall and halway into the rest of the house. I do listen to a lot of music mostlt jazzy (Steely Dan) and sometimes more classic rock, but also acoustic guitar and classical. I probably watch 3-4 movies a week either disc or sometimes HDTV. Am hoping to keep it to one sub, I know the advantages of two.

On your budget I would research the Hsu VTF-15H and the PSA XV15

The Hsu has variable tuning which is a nice feature as it really helps dial in the sub to your preference (one port open for more extension, two ports open for more output, both ports closed, etc).

But the PSA sub will be cheaper and people are high on it right now.

Just my opinion but that is where I would be looking.
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahdlokg View Post

My room is approx 12' X 22' with cathedral ceiling that is approx 13'. Equip, TV and main speakers are along the long edge of the room. It does open through a bar area into the kitchen and into the entry way hall and halway into the rest of the house. I do listen to a lot of music mostly jazzy (Steely Dan) and sometimes more classic rock, but also acoustic guitar and classical. I probably watch 3-4 movies a week either on disc or sometimes HDTV broadcast. Am hoping to keep it to one sub, although there are advantages with two.

Also, noticing a couple of Rythmiks in the $974-1124 price range. That's still in the ballpark. Just not wanting to spend 1500-2000+ for subs.

I would go with the Hsu VTF15h or Rythmik FV15. The FV15HP especially, if you feel like splurging.
post #6 of 13
I just went through this and got the Power Sound Audio (PSA) XV15. They were great to talk to on the phone and answered emails pretty quickly. I wanted more musically oriented subs and it came down to HSU, PSA, and Velodyne. I think the XV15 will flll your room better than the HSU. JMO.

Looked at all the subs you listed and now am waiting for delivery. smile.gif
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgincontrol View Post

I think the XV15 will flll your room better than the HSU. JMO.

If we are talking about the 15h, unlikely.
post #8 of 13
Another vote for the Psa xv15. Incredible sub for $799
post #9 of 13
In case you decided to stretch your budget a bit, PSA XS30 will be worth considering. $1149 shipped. It is dual opposed 15" inch woofer sealed sub. Very good for both music and movies . Has that mid bass slam factor.

just an additional option to what is already being recommended.
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

I would go with the Hsu VTF15h or Rythmik FV15. The FV15HP especially, if you feel like splurging.

I would rank them:
- Rythmik FV15HP (about $1300 shipped if you get the 500watt amp)
- Hsu VTF-15H (a little over $1K shipped)
- PSA XS 30 (about $1150)
- PSA XV15 ($800 shipped)

If you can splurge, get the Rythmik. Otherwise you can't really lose with the others at this price point.
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

I would rank them:
- Rythmik FV15HP (about $1300 shipped if you get the 500watt amp)
- Hsu VTF-15H (a little over $1K shipped)
- PSA XS 30 (about $1150)
- PSA XV15 ($800 shipped)

If you can splurge, get the Rythmik. Otherwise you can't really lose with the others at this price point.

I bought a Rythmik FV15 and it more than fills my room with LFE and I to have cathedral ceiling and an open listening area that's bigger than what your describing. And I haven't done the "crawl" yet! Awesome sub with awesome sound and Brians customer service is well above others.

Jeff
post #12 of 13
Thread Starter 
I'm appreciating all these responses. Like most of us, I am just upgrading a bit at a time. I wasn't familiar with PSA, so checking them out as well. I love this hobby!
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahdlokg View Post

I'm appreciating all these responses. Like most of us, I am just upgrading a bit at a time. I wasn't familiar with PSA, so checking them out as well. I love this hobby!

I love it too, the cost it......not so much.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › $500-1000 price point SVS, HSU, Rythmik or REL