or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › OPTOMA HD91 FULL LED DLP full hd 2D 3D Ready end 2013
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OPTOMA HD91 FULL LED DLP full hd 2D 3D Ready end 2013 - Page 23

post #661 of 1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post

I saw this projector at CES. It looked nice, although the screen size was not large. Maybe 70"s. The rep said available in March or April with a price around $4,000.

At 70", people would go with a flat panel.
Reply
Reply
post #662 of 1158
What I want to know is if it will look equally nice at 120"

I think you should compare this thing with a cheaper projector bought together with a stack of lamps. How does it compare against those?
I think that is the market segment its aimed at. I look at it as buying a 2.5-3k projector with a stack of lamps that magically replace themselves coupled with low-noise and low-heat.
No point comparing this thing against a 10k or 20k projector, that just doesn't make sense.
post #663 of 1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberator View Post

What I want to know is if it will look equally nice at 120"

I think you should compare this thing with a cheaper projector bought together with a stack of lamps. How does it compare against those?
I think that is the market segment its aimed at. I look at it as buying a 2.5-3k projector with a stack of lamps that magically replace themselves coupled with low-noise and low-heat.
No point comparing this thing against a 10k or 20k projector, that just doesn't make sense.

The big deal on this projector as far as I'm concerned, is that it's LED. I own two higher end projectors, a JVC RS40 and a SharpVision HV-Z20000. I also own a Samsung 67" LED RPTV. When I watch the JVC or Sharp I notice that after about two hours the colors drift to what looks like a warmer look. Kind of a sepia overtone. The Samsung LED lamped projector does not change one degree. And it won't, as long as I own it. That's the beauty of LED projectors like the HD91. The picture I saw at 70"s in the Optoma demo room looked like it would hold up at the typical home theater size of 100"s + or -.
post #664 of 1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberator View Post

What I want to know is if it will look equally nice at 120"

I think you should compare this thing with a cheaper projector bought together with a stack of lamps. How does it compare against those?
I think that is the market segment its aimed at. I look at it as buying a 2.5-3k projector with a stack of lamps that magically replace themselves coupled with low-noise and low-heat.
No point comparing this thing against a 10k or 20k projector, that just doesn't make sense.

Most do not buy a cheap projector with the intentions of keeping it long term.
Reply
Reply
post #665 of 1158
If you were to pair this projector with a higher gain screen, such as a Da-Lite High Power screen, you could easily use this projector with larger screen sizes.
post #666 of 1158
My screen is the SI 120" solar 4k 1.3 gain screen which I bought to be used with the panasonic LED projector which turned out to be a dud (not a HT projector, PT RZ470). I'm going to place the projector as close to the screen as it will allow me to maximize brightness in my dedicated HT room with no windows.

I'm hoping it will be Ok for this setup.
post #667 of 1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberator View Post

My screen is the SI 120" solar 4k 1.3 gain screen which I bought to be used with the panasonic LED projector which turned out to be a dud (not a HT projector, PT RZ470). I'm going to place the projector as close to the screen as it will allow me to maximize brightness in my dedicated HT room with no windows.

I'm hoping it will be Ok for this setup.
How's the quality of the picture because I also thought about getting the panny led projector? Is the blacks and contrast any good? Is it bright enough to use with some ambient light?
post #668 of 1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoh89 View Post

How's the quality of the picture because I also thought about getting the panny led projector? Is the blacks and contrast any good? Is it bright enough to use with some ambient light?

Both of those are the weak points to this projector. A few of the first impression reviews said that even among DLPs in it's price range, contrast is not is the strong suit of this projector. Brightness is a little below average but that's to be expected due to the LEDs.
post #669 of 1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post

Msrp is $25k

Hi,

yep ! (the Wolf Cinema SDC-25) :

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/wolf-cinema-fold

eek.gif
post #670 of 1158
Wow. Talk about ridiculous.
post #671 of 1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Most do not buy a cheap projector with the intentions of keeping it long term.

I would think most in the $3K plus forum do and those who buy from AV Science. Most who buy budget projectors buy from elsewhere, projector, screen, hdmi long cable, 2 day shipping and all for $999. no joke. And they will use that projector for a long long time and will be the envy of their non AVS friends.
post #672 of 1158
I'm wondering if the HD90 would be a better bet for me. I calculated my 1.3 gain screen and this projector on pj central and it told me I still had to mount the HD91 13 feet away to fill 120". Would I not get brighter results with a HD90 which can be placed much closer to the screen?
As far as I understand the HD90 and HD91 are identical in every other way besides throw distance right?
Any ideas on when the HD90 will be released?
post #673 of 1158
I'll ask this question here, as it deals with a DLP projector. I need to replace my current projector, which is an NEC HT1000. It's older, DLP for those who remember, 4:3, 1024x768, so not HD. In fact, it's equivalent to a 16:9 projector at 1024:576. Not good enough. Pleasant enough, but it's hard to go from a 55" HDTV to the lower resolution. The room is 21'x14'x8' with complete light control, the current projector is 12.5' from the screen. The screen is first generation Firehawk, I think 1.35 gain. My main interest is very high quality 2D. Don't game, not really interested in 3D. My budget is somewhat flexible, I typically like to be at the inflection point of the value/price curve. I'd like to stay under $10,000, but will only go that high if doing so yields a definite improvement over a $5K machine. I spoke with Craig at AVS sales on Friday, he mentioned the new Digital Projection M Vision Cine 1000 LED unit, and said he has one for the CEDIA price. I've not heard of that company before.

I've been poking around here for the past few days. It's difficult to understand or rate the different machines because they all have separate threads here. Is there a general thread that rates machines? As in, what's the best machine between $3K-$5K? $5K to 7.5K? 7.5K-10K? I realize that's a difficult question, but given my priorities, where should I concentrate my research? Thanks.
Edited by Jon Middleton - 1/24/14 at 9:27am
post #674 of 1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Middleton View Post

I'll ask this question here, as it deals with a DLP projector. I need to replace my current projector, which is an NEC HT1000. It's older, DLP for those who remember, 4:3, 1024x768, so not HD. In fact, it's equivalent to a 16:9 projector at 1024:576. Not good enough. Pleasant enough, but it's hard to go from a 55" HDTV to the lower resolution. The room is 21'x14'x8' with complete light control, the current projector is 12.5' from the screen. The screen is first generation Firehawk, I think 1.35 gain. My main interest is very high quality 2D. Don't game, not really interested in 3D. My budget is somewhat flexible, I typically like to be at the inflection point of the value/price curve. I'd like to stay under $10,000, but will only go that high if doing so yields a definite improvement over a $5K machine. I spoke with Craig at AVS sales on Friday, he mentioned the new Digital Projection M Vision Cine 1000 LED unit, it sells for $8000. I've not heard of that company before.

I've been poking around here for the past few days. It's difficult to understand or rate the different machines because they all have separate threads here. Is there a general thread that rates machines? As in, what's the best machine between $3K-$5K? $5K to 7.5K? 7.5K-10K? I realize that's a difficult question, but given my priorities, where should I concentrate my research? Thanks.

Sent you a pm
post #675 of 1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Middleton View Post

I'll ask this question here, as it deals with a DLP projector. I need to replace my current projector, which is an NEC HT1000. It's older, DLP for those who remember, 4:3, 1024x768, so not HD. In fact, it's equivalent to a 16:9 projector at 1024:576. Not good enough. Pleasant enough, but it's hard to go from a 55" HDTV to the lower resolution. The room is 21'x14'x8' with complete light control, the current projector is 12.5' from the screen. The screen is first generation Firehawk, I think 1.35 gain. My main interest is very high quality 2D. Don't game, not really interested in 3D. My budget is somewhat flexible, I typically like to be at the inflection point of the value/price curve. I'd like to stay under $10,000, but will only go that high if doing so yields a definite improvement over a $5K machine. I spoke with Craig at AVS sales on Friday, he mentioned the new Digital Projection M Vision Cine 1000 LED unit, it sells for $8000. I've not heard of that company before.

I've been poking around here for the past few days. It's difficult to understand or rate the different machines because they all have separate threads here. Is there a general thread that rates machines? As in, what's the best machine between $3K-$5K? $5K to 7.5K? 7.5K-10K? I realize that's a difficult question, but given my priorities, where should I concentrate my research? Thanks.

If you want to stick with DLP, Craig's suggestion is a great one. Another alternative to look into is the Runco LS-5. If you don't have a particular attachment for DLP, I'd say look into a JVC. The JVC DLA-RS57 would be a great choice and fits your budget. All three put out an outstanding image that will blow that projector's out of the water in comparison. I think you're in for a real surprise.
post #676 of 1158
post #677 of 1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberator View Post

I'm wondering if the HD90 would be a better bet for me. I calculated my 1.3 gain screen and this projector on pj central and it told me I still had to mount the HD91 13 feet away to fill 120". Would I not get brighter results with a HD90 which can be placed much closer to the screen?

Not necessarily. The brightness you gain by placing a projector is not from it being closer to the screen, it's from the lens passing more light when it's zoomed wider. So you could run into a situation where the HD90 would be dimmer than the HD91 since you might have to place the HD90 at the long end of the throw vs the HD91 at the short end (this is assuming they are the same).
post #678 of 1158
Any more info when this might be released in the US?
post #679 of 1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post

Any more info when this might be released in the US?

Check here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1511158/optoma-hd91-led-projector-at-ces-2014/0_50

It seems they'll be available at the end of February in the US and cost around $4000 USD. It isn't clear whether or not that's MSRP or street price.

I have to say I'm still skeptical about performance, but I hope I'm totally wrong and professional reviews have a lot of nice things to say about it.
post #680 of 1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Check here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1511158/optoma-hd91-led-projector-at-ces-2014/0_50

It seems they'll be available at the end of February in the US and cost around $4000 USD. It isn't clear whether or not that's MSRP or street price.

I have to say I'm still skeptical about performance, but I hope I'm totally wrong and professional reviews have a lot of nice things to say about it.

I talked to a U. S. vendor today who told me he had them in stock and ready to sell -- no one had ordered one yet. Price is $4,000 firm but they will calibrate it and the calibration is included in the price. So who's first?
post #681 of 1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

I talked to a U. S. vendor today who told me he had them in stock and ready to sell -- no one had ordered one yet. Price is $4,000 firm but they will calibrate it and the calibration is included in the price. So who's first?

OK, I'll ask. Who's the vendor?
post #682 of 1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post

OK, I'll ask. Who's the vendor?

Sent you a PM.
post #683 of 1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post

I saw this projector at CES. It looked nice, although the screen size was not large. Maybe 70"s. The rep said available in March or April with a price around $4,000.

can you share any more detail? Was it a darkened room or ambient light? Any RBE visible? Color? black-level? 3D etc.?
post #684 of 1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post

can you share any more detail? Was it a darkened room or ambient light? Any RBE visible? Color? black-level? 3D etc.?

I was only there for about ten minutes as I was impinging on their lunchtime. The room was about 60% dark in my opinion. I did ask them to turn off a lamp that made things a little better. The latest Star Trek was showing on a portable screen that I guessed was around 70"s. I don't know the gain of the screen. I saw no RBE but I don't see any anyway. I'm too old for that. The sequences showing in the movie were all inside the spaceship so everything had a cool(bluish?) shade to it. The contrast/black level looked comparable to my two projectors, a JVC and a Sharpvision, but then I'm not a great source for knowledgeable opinion.Also, my viewing environment is better than the demo room as I have less ambient light. All I know is I wish my two projectors were LED lit like my RPTV, a 67" Samsung. I don't do 3D as I don't buy DVD's and Netflix's rental supply is poor; plus I don't trust the lamp in my RS40.

Overall, I thought the 91 looked extremely promising. It would only be better in a darker room and I thought what I saw was quite good. It was probably a little less bright than my two projectors and I think the calculator on Proj. Central bears me out. With my 2.8 HP screen I get 43 lumens for the RS40, 38 for the Sharp 20000, and 27 for the Optoma. The difference didn't seem that great so perhaps that's probably due to the so-called extra brightness for the lumens with an LED projector.

Hope this helps.
post #685 of 1158
First full professional review in English is up:

http://www.avforums.com/review/optoma-hd91-led-projector-review.9872

It looks like an absolute cracker - all fears allayed.

"In pure performance terms, it can hold its own against the other LED projectors we have reviewed to date (Sim2’s MICO 50 and MICO 150, Digital Projection’s M-Vision), sharing the same strengths and weakness but at a fraction of the cost.."

Steve W
Edited by Pecker - 1/29/14 at 5:35am
post #686 of 1158
Quote:
It looks like an absolute cracker - all fears allayed.

No real measurements ( only a general " 700 - 800 lumens " ), only 2000:1 contrast. One so so review. That's about as good as a box of crackers. We will need a bit more.
post #687 of 1158
Sorry, but AVF's reviews are as trustworthy as any I've found on t'internet.

The lens was going to be poor. The lens is praised.

This wasn't going to be sharp. Sharpness is praised.

Colour was going to be poor. Colour accuracy when calibrated is near perfect.

Black levels were going to be poor. Black levels when calibrated are typical of DLP.

Brightness was going to be insufficient. Brightness is good enough for a 9' screen.

Calibration was going to make brightness unwatchable, and the HK effect was a load of rubbish. Once again it's noted that the LED light source makes it look brighter than the figures suggest POST-CALIBRATION.

Brightness wasn't going to be good enough for 3D. No problems with brightness in 3D at the same size.

It was going to be extremely substandard compared to the expensive LED projectors we've seen so far. It's reviewed as pretty much as good as the £15k-£20k LED DLP projectors they've seen.

I'm not convinced that amounts to a 'so-so' review.

Steve W
Edited by Pecker - 1/29/14 at 11:46am
post #688 of 1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecker View Post

First full professional review in English is up:

http://www.avforums.com/review/optoma-hd91-led-projector-review.9872

It looks like an absolute cracker - all fears allayed.

"In pure performance terms, it can hold its own against the other LED projectors we have reviewed to date (Sim2’s MICO 50 and MICO 150, Digital Projection’s M-Vision), sharing the same strengths and weakness but at a fraction of the cost.."

Steve W

I have seen this projector and I can say to give this a 9/10 is a total disgrace, If you compare it with other projectors in the pricerange like the JVC X35, Sony HW55 or Epson TW9200. The same rewiev site gave the Sony HW50 8/10 and the JVC X35 9/10 then this is not more than a 5-6/10 in my eyes.
post #689 of 1158
i'll wait to see a review from Projector Reviews and hopefully Sound and Vision Magazine too.
post #690 of 1158
I think the best thing is to see it with your own eyes!wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › OPTOMA HD91 FULL LED DLP full hd 2D 3D Ready end 2013