or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › What 3D Bluray player gives a nice, clean, HD NETFLIX experience?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What 3D Bluray player gives a nice, clean, HD NETFLIX experience?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Hi. I just got a 3D projector, and currently use Apple TV for Netflix. I am going to buy a 3D Bluray player and wanted to know which wifi Bluray player has a really nice image quality for Netflix? I would like to spend about $150 give or take. Netflix is about to go 1080P so I want to be future proof (my apple tv is 720p). I'm looking for something that can dispaly a clean, sharp image, with good colors, and doesn't buffer all the time. Apple TV is pretty good for this, but I would rather have just one device do it all. Are bluray players as good and fast as the apple tv? Which company is known for good streaming quality? Thanks.
post #2 of 13
About to go 1080p? I've gotten 1080p Netflix for some time on my PS3 which is also an excellent 3d bluray player (and plays games, too).
post #3 of 13
.... and in other news from 2010, Apple is releasing some new fangled tablet device called the iPad.
post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

About to go 1080p? I've gotten 1080p Netflix for some time on my PS3 which is also an excellent 3d bluray player (and plays games, too).

Netflix is currently only 720p..maybe 1080i...but not 1080p
post #5 of 13
Depends on the model and year. Many of the current BD players do NF at 1080p including Panasonic, Sony, etc.

S~
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh007 View Post

Netflix is currently only 720p..maybe 1080i...but not 1080p
That's interesting because I've been watching 1080p Netflix for 3 years at least, hence the reason for my feeble attempt at humor. Where are you getting this information? HERE's what Netflix says about sony players, for example. The story is similar for other brands.

I think you may be confusing their new Super HD rollout with 1080p. They've had 1080p for quite a long time.
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh007 View Post

Netflix is currently only 720p..maybe 1080i...but not 1080p
That's interesting because I've been watching 1080p Netflix for 3 years at least, hence the reason for my feeble attempt at humor. Where are you getting this information? HERE's what Netflix says about sony players, for example. The story is similar for other brands.

I think you may be confusing their new Super HD rollout with 1080p. They've had 1080p for quite a long time.

This got me looking around last night, seems that Netflix has scaled back resolution for their own purposes. Many are not getting 1080p any more. I have had High-X on my PS3 from Netflix but I could only get as HD High (720p) on some of those same movies later last night. I've mostly been using Netflix in my bedroom on a non-1080p set so really hadn't paid attention lately. There's a thread on the subject here on AVS. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1440503/odd-netflix-issue-x-high-hd-no-longer-available
post #8 of 13
I think you misunderstand. The new compression allows for better resolution at lower bit rates. So High is really 1080p because it's about equivalent to the old X-High. So just because you don't get X-High anymore doesn't mean you aren't getting 1080p. It's just the the new compression has broken the PS3's ability to correctly detect the stream quality. The new Super HD is also 1080p but at higher bit rates and currently limited to just a few US ISPs.
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh007 View Post

Netflix is currently only 720p..maybe 1080i...but not 1080p

like others have said there has been 1080P for a few years now.

Jacob
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

like others have said there has been 1080P for a few years now.

Jacob

oh...ok. and here's me thinking I will get the new Apple tv once Netflix goes 1080P. So...my original post: any suggestions? Do bluray players have problems with stuttering or buffering etc?
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I think you misunderstand. The new compression allows for better resolution at lower bit rates. So High is really 1080p because it's about equivalent to the old X-High. So just because you don't get X-High anymore doesn't mean you aren't getting 1080p. It's just the the new compression has broken the PS3's ability to correctly detect the stream quality. The new Super HD is also 1080p but at higher bit rates and currently limited to just a few US ISPs.

Yeah I read that too but I do notice a quality difference and suspect the explanation you offer is more a Netflix corporate PR thing than reality.
post #12 of 13
Pretty much all 2012 models will allow Netflix 1080p streaming for those movies available in 1080p (not all are). So, Panny 220, Sony 390 and 590, Oppo 103 and 105.
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

Pretty much all 2012 models will allow Netflix 1080p streaming for those movies available in 1080p (not all are). So, Panny 220, Sony 390 and 590, Oppo 103 and 105.

the ps3 can do the 1080 and the current roku machine as well.

Jacob
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › What 3D Bluray player gives a nice, clean, HD NETFLIX experience?