or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › HTPC Gaming › PC GAMES thread - whatcha playin'? [NO SPOILERS UNLESS TAGGED]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PC GAMES thread - whatcha playin'? [NO SPOILERS UNLESS TAGGED] - Page 8

post #211 of 796
I'm to much of a max settings guy to play on anything lower. This has become my downfall. But I'm still very surprised in that cards performance. I defiantly didn't think I'd have power to so 3D.
post #212 of 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

I'm to much of a max settings guy to play on anything lower. This has become my downfall. But I'm still very surprised in that cards performance. I defiantly didn't think I'd have power to so 3D.

Crysis is a special case where you're forced into using reprojection. True stereoscopy requires basically double the power, reprojection just another 5% or so. So its a little deceiving....if it was real 3D it certainly wouldn't be pushing 60fps even at 720p.
post #213 of 796
Indeed, even the 680 does not do 720p 3D max'd at constant 60fps in Crysis 3.

Jason
post #214 of 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Crysis is a special case where you're forced into using reprojection. True stereoscopy requires basically double the power, reprojection just another 5% or so. So its a little deceiving....if it was real 3D it certainly wouldn't be pushing 60fps even at 720p.

Forced? How would you do 3D without going into the Control Panel?
post #215 of 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Forced? How would you do 3D without going into the Control Panel?

I think he meant 'forced' as in you do not have any choice if you want to play in 3D because the gpu he is talking about does not have the juice to do stereoscopic 3D (even at 720p). wink.gif

Jason
post #216 of 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

I think he meant 'forced' as in you do not have any choice if you want to play in 3D because the gpu he is talking about does not have the juice to do stereoscopic 3D (even at 720p). wink.gif

Jason

No, it's Crysis 3 specifically. It overrides nvidia's 3D method with its own fake 3D. There's no way I can find to force it to use real 3D.

That being said, I assure you it holds on to 720p/60fps in "3D" in Crysis 3 medium. And skyrim as well, except that's real 3D.
post #217 of 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

No, it's Crysis 3 specifically. It overrides nvidia's 3D method with its own fake 3D. There's no way I can find to force it to use real 3D.

That being said, I assure you it holds on to 720p/60fps in "3D" in Crysis 3 medium. And skyrim as well, except that's real 3D.

Hmmm... well then it's something at your end since I have played C3 in stereoscopic 3D with my GTX 680oc.

Have you tried it with TriDef?

Jason
post #218 of 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Hmmm... well then it's something at your end since I have played C3 in stereoscopic 3D with my GTX 680oc.

Have you tried it with TriDef?

Jason

Isn't that AMD only? Under 3D settings it says driver. The first thing that clued me in was that I started playing in 720p/3D and it was butter smooth. Normally that means switching to 1080p/2D would be just as smooth, but performance dropped like a rock. I also thought it odd that I had no control over convergence and couldn't get *any* pop out, even though the depth control pulled up the normal nvidia driver overlay. Then I saw the telltale halo around the gun and the L/R screen edges, and adding it all up, knew it had to be reprojection. Did a little googling and came up with this:

http://3dvision-blog.com/tag/crysis-3-3d-vision/

If there's a way to force real stereoscopy Id love to try it, even though it would probably run really poorly. Definitely credit where its due to crytek for having the least offensive reprojection (to the point where I actually don't mind using it) - but it's still a dirty hack and Id rather have two proper camera views.
post #219 of 796
I wonder if forcing my TV to convert the image to 3D vs the GPU doing it would be a better option?
post #220 of 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

I wonder if forcing my TV to convert the image to 3D vs the GPU doing it would be a better option?

Nah, that would be a far worse option. 2D-3D conversion from a TV is always terrible. Reprojection is still basically a 2D-3D conversion, but it takes into account the depth information from the game - the result is a mostly correct but weak effect that's prone to artifacts. At least it doesn't just conjure the depth out of thin air like your TV would.
post #221 of 796
I'll have to try and compare the two. See how I like it:cool:
post #222 of 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Isn't that AMD only? Under 3D settings it says driver. The first thing that clued me in was that I started playing in 720p/3D and it was butter smooth. Normally that means switching to 1080p/2D would be just as smooth, but performance dropped like a rock. I also thought it odd that I had no control over convergence and couldn't get *any* pop out, even though the depth control pulled up the normal nvidia driver overlay. Then I saw the telltale halo around the gun and the L/R screen edges, and adding it all up, knew it had to be reprojection. Did a little googling and came up with this:

http://3dvision-blog.com/tag/crysis-3-3d-vision/

If there's a way to force real stereoscopy Id love to try it, even though it would probably run really poorly. Definitely credit where its due to crytek for having the least offensive reprojection (to the point where I actually don't mind using it) - but it's still a dirty hack and Id rather have two proper camera views.


TriDef works with AMD and Nvidia (but with Nvidia you obviously have to have the ability to first enable Stereoscopic 3D before TriDef will work).

Jason
post #223 of 796
As DaGamePimp and BD2003 stated Tridef is graphics card agnostic, but 2d-3d conversion is just plain heretic.
post #224 of 796
Well Defiance started Yesterday. Strange to play a FPS MMO set in what's left of America. Normally used to a fantasy world but this is fun so far.
Name of toon is Wytchfire Starchaster. Chat me up if you like.
post #225 of 796
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Well Defiance started Yesterday. Strange to play a FPS MMO set in what's left of America. Normally used to a fantasy world but this is fun so far.
Name of toon is Wytchfire Starchaster. Chat me up if you like.

I'm not seeing any reviews for Defiance... what is it? I know it's a tie-in game with a TV show, but how's the game? Is it like Borderlands?
post #226 of 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I'm not seeing any reviews for Defiance... what is it? I know it's a tie-in game with a TV show, but how's the game? Is it like Borderlands?

I never played borderlands , friends tried to get me in but I was busy at the time.
Game I have mixed feelings. For one and I love this you buy it and thats it., No montly fee.

FAQ

Q. Is there going to be a subscription fee like your average MMORPG?
A. No. The game is "buy to play". In other words, you purchase the retail copy of the game, and then enjoy the game without having to pay additional fees per month.

Here is a review they are now starting to appear.
http://www.vgrevolution.com/2013/04/defiance-review-a-small-step-in-the-right-direction/

PC UI need some work IMO but if I can pick it up at my age, I figure anyone can.

Still as i said loads of fun but then again its only day one but I think it worth it.
post #227 of 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I'm not seeing any reviews for Defiance... what is it? I know it's a tie-in game with a TV show, but how's the game? Is it like Borderlands?

It's got Borderlands-like elements in it, if you've played Borderlands, you'll recognize them. The guns are pretty cool, and it's third-person. I played in 2 beta weekends and now playing the final release, it's fun.
post #228 of 796
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post

It's got Borderlands-like elements in it, if you've played Borderlands, you'll recognize them. The guns are pretty cool, and it's third-person. I played in 2 beta weekends and now playing the final release, it's fun.

I like cool guns and third person. smile.gif

Is there an overall story, individual quests, or both? I might pick this one up when it goes on sale because I missed the pre-order price. GMG has a 20% voucher, but the price is still high.
post #229 of 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I like cool guns and third person. smile.gif

Is there an overall story, individual quests, or both? I might pick this one up when it goes on sale because I missed the pre-order price. GMG has a 20% voucher, but the price is still high.

There's a main story with missions, Episode missions that involve the lead characters from the TV show, Side missions, and challenge missions.
post #230 of 796
I'm playing too and that means something cuz I loathe MMO's generally. However the sweet part was that there is no monthly fee. Woot! Plus it's very action oriented with guns. smile.gif

Join up with Marafice and myself if you guys get it.
post #231 of 796
Finished Bioshock Infinite last night. Really great game. IMO, one of the best story lines tied to a shooter ever. Art style and atmosphere are top notch.

Two complaints:
1. There is some sort of VRAM issue with the game that only random people experience that causes stuttering. I found a fix for it the other day, but I was unfortunately already near the end of the game.
2. Looting is kind of ridiculous. Most of what you get is useless, but you must loot for what you do need. Seems like the looting doubled the length of the campaign.

Neither are game-breaking, just a little annoying. Still a must play and GOTY candidate.
post #232 of 796
I've been stuck on TR and D3. No time for anything else!
post #233 of 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwatkins View Post

Finished Bioshock Infinite last night. Really great game. IMO, one of the best story lines tied to a shooter ever. Art style and atmosphere are top notch.

Two complaints:
1. There is some sort of VRAM issue with the game that only random people experience that causes stuttering. I found a fix for it the other day, but I was unfortunately already near the end of the game.
2. Looting is kind of ridiculous. Most of what you get is useless, but you must loot for what you do need. Seems like the looting doubled the length of the campaign.

Neither are game-breaking, just a little annoying. Still a must play and GOTY candidate.

what was the fix?
post #234 of 796
I played Bioshock Infinite for 2-3 more hours and just can't get into it for some reason.

The storyline is not pulling me in, gameplay is mostly average regardless of obtained powers/weapons and the graphics are dated after playing games like Crysis 3 and Tomb Raider.

It does offer some clever ideas and often stunning art design but it takes more substance than that to be a truly great game.

I'll probably keep playing and hope it becomes more compelling, so far it's been mixed due to pacing.

* Obviously this is just my opinion as I know this is a highly rated game by the majority of critics and gamers. redface.gif

Jason
post #235 of 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

I played Bioshock Infinite for 2-3 more hours and just can't get into it for some reason.

The storyline is not pulling me in, gameplay is mostly average regardless of obtained powers/weapons and the graphics are dated after playing games like Crysis 3 and Tomb Raider.

It does offer some clever ideas and often stunning art design but it takes more substance than that to be a truly great game.

I'll probably keep playing and hope it becomes more compelling, so far it's been mixed due to pacing.

* Obviously this is just my opinion as I know this is a highly rated game by the majority of critics and gamers. redface.gif

Jason

Same boat as you. Game is just... *meh
post #236 of 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

I played Bioshock Infinite for 2-3 more hours and just can't get into it for some reason. Jason

I feel ya, it's not grabbing me either. I keep going back to Tomb Raider instead.
post #237 of 796
I spent quite a bit of time with it last night. Once you get the girl I think the action ramps up from there. I'm definitely not as drawn into this world as I was the original Bioshock. The underwater thing was just dripping with atmosphere. It's got all the same stuff here but there was just something better about the original, for me.

Both are completely implausible, but the underwater thing was just a little less unbelievable I guess.

I've also pretty much lost all my skill with FPS mouse pointing. I'm really bad at it now.
post #238 of 796
Anyone excited for Metro: Last Light coming out next month? Never played the first game, but been reading previews of this and it's got me pretty excited! Really like the post-apocalyptic setting and FPS/survivor horror blend.

Just need to finish Far Cry 3 and Bioshock before it comes out smile.gif
post #239 of 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Same boat as you. Game is just... *meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60SXRD View Post

I feel ya, it's not grabbing me either. I keep going back to Tomb Raider instead.


While it is disappointing to see this I am glad I am not alone. wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

I spent quite a bit of time with it last night. Once you get the girl I think the action ramps up from there. I'm definitely not as drawn into this world as I was the original Bioshock. The underwater thing was just dripping with atmosphere. It's got all the same stuff here but there was just something better about the original, for me.

Both are completely implausible, but the underwater thing was just a little less unbelievable I guess.

I've also pretty much lost all my skill with FPS mouse pointing. I'm really bad at it now.


Yeah the action does ramp up but I played a good hour past that and it's honestly still just so-so. frown.gif


Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 View Post

Anyone excited for Metro: Last Light coming out next month? Never played the first game, but been reading previews of this and it's got me pretty excited! Really like the post-apocalyptic setting and FPS/survivor horror blend.

Just need to finish Far Cry 3 and Bioshock before it comes out smile.gif


Can't wait for Metro, if they improve the gameplay and keep many aspects of 2033 in there it could be an epic gaming experience.

Jason
post #240 of 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 View Post

Anyone excited for Metro: Last Light coming out next month? Never played the first game, but been reading previews of this and it's got me pretty excited! Really like the post-apocalyptic setting and FPS/survivor horror blend.

Just need to finish Far Cry 3 and Bioshock before it comes out smile.gif


I finished 2033 a few weeks ago, and I thought it was a very good game, so yeah, I hope metro last light is just as good
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HTPC Gaming
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › HTPC Gaming › PC GAMES thread - whatcha playin'? [NO SPOILERS UNLESS TAGGED]