or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › HTPC Gaming › PC GAMES thread - whatcha playin'? [NO SPOILERS UNLESS TAGGED]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PC GAMES thread - whatcha playin'? [NO SPOILERS UNLESS TAGGED] - Page 15

post #421 of 796
It's not a very long game, but you can play it a number of different ways. I would say it ranges from maybe 8-15 hours on a first play through.

You don't need to sell me on AC3. I really disliked AC2 but I think AC3 is the best in the series by far. It's just a much better game.
post #422 of 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

About how long is Dishonored? I'm wrapping up 30+ hours in Assassin's Creed 3*, and Dishonored is next on the backlog.

*btw, they saved all the best stuff in AC3 to the end. The first 5 hours or so is somewhat confusing and limited fun, but once things open up, it becomes one of the best in the series IMO. Really looking forward to Black Flag! cool.gif

I finished the first two main missions in Dishonored and have been really enjoying the game. I've been going the "high-chaos" route killing most of the people I come across but trying to use stealth judiciously as the situation dictates. The game itself is not very demanding on the PC hardware and runs at a smooth 60fps. The graphics are not impressive from a technical standpoint but the art-style has a certain appeal to it. I also appreciate the "save-anywhere" ability allowing you to easily try different strategies.

I started playing AC3 this weekend and am pretty early on in the game but enjoying it so far. The graphics look very nice but I'm a bit disappointed in the performance on my gaming rig. I frequently get drops into the 40-50 fps range and can't maintain a steady 60fps. With adaptive v-sync enabled, I get ugly screen tearing during these fps drops. I expected my 670 FTW dual-SLI to handle this game with ease.

Just started Witcher 2 recently and found myself totally immersed in the game. Can't believe I went so long without playing this RPG gem! The game runs flawlessly on my rig and the graphics are incredible! Really excited to see what they do with Witcher 3 on next-gen hardware. Hoping I can run the game at 60fps without needing a GPU upgrade when it comes out next year smile.gif
post #423 of 796
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 View Post


I started playing AC3 this weekend and am pretty early on in the game but enjoying it so far. The graphics look very nice but I'm a bit disappointed in the performance on my gaming rig. I frequently get drops into the 40-50 fps range and can't maintain a steady 60fps. With adaptive v-sync enabled, I get ugly screen tearing during these fps drops. I expected my 670 FTW dual-SLI to handle this game with ease.

Yeah, I gave up on adaptive v-sync and stick with the old non-screen tearing standard v-sync at the driver level for all games, turning off v-sync within the game. Works best for most games IMO, and haven't noticed any lag that I can tell.

And there's not a lot of graphics options in AC3 to tweak out for a little more fps. I found with my dual 670s, everything can be on the highest setting at 1080p except AA. I have that on one above the lowest setting ("normal" I think it's called) and maintain 60fps in most places. The only times it drops below 50fps is when I'm moving from section to section too fast (i.e. via horseback), or during crazy combat, when I believe stuff is loading. Everything runs pretty smooth and looks "next-gen" as far as I'm concerned.
post #424 of 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Yeah, I gave up on adaptive v-sync and stick with the old non-screen tearing standard v-sync at the driver level for all games, turning off v-sync within the game. Works best for most games IMO, and haven't noticed any lag that I can tell.

And there's not a lot of graphics options in AC3 to tweak out for a little more fps. I found with my dual 670s, everything can be on the highest setting at 1080p except AA. I have that on one above the lowest setting ("normal" I think it's called) and maintain 60fps in most places. The only times it drops below 50fps is when I'm moving from section to section too fast (i.e. via horseback), or during crazy combat, when I believe stuff is loading. Everything runs pretty smooth and looks "next-gen" as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, I can't stand screen-tearing so I may change back to normal v-sync in nVidia CP. I believe I also had TXAA enabled so that is probably not helping game performance either.

Do you think Black Flag will perform as well on our PCs or will it play better on the PS4?
post #425 of 796
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 View Post

Do you think Black Flag will perform as well on our PCs or will it play better on the PS4?

For me it's wait-and-see on that one (and the upcoming Batman) if all versions come out at the same time. If the PC version comes out first, that's probably how I'll go because I'm impatient. redface.gif

I'm keeping my eye on the PS4 / XB1's ability to do 60fps on all launch games - very important to me.
post #426 of 796
I think Black Flag will perform like AC3 on PCs. It's still a current gen focused engine/game. The PS4 version will probably be as good as the PC version on a strong PC, maybe not strong by AVS definitions, but strong.

BTW PC versions never come out first, especially Ubi. Most likely the PC version will come out a month later.
post #427 of 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

About how long is Dishonored? I'm wrapping up 30+ hours in Assassin's Creed 3*, and Dishonored is next on the backlog.

*btw, they saved all the best stuff in AC3 to the end. The first 5 hours or so is somewhat confusing and limited fun, but once things open up, it becomes one of the best in the series IMO. Really looking forward to Black Flag! cool.gif


I have 44 hours listed in steam, but I reran a few levels trying to get the stealth or no kill qualifiers.
post #428 of 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

It's not a very long game, but you can play it a number of different ways. I would say it ranges from maybe 8-15 hours on a first play through.

You don't need to sell me on AC3. I really disliked AC2 but I think AC3 is the best in the series by far. It's just a much better game.

Yeah, I beat it in 10. I took it slowing stealthy towards the beginning, but let the blades loose about halfway through.

Pretty good game, although I thought the story, characters and world were pretty weak. You didn't interact with people much beyond being told who to kill, and then killing them.
post #429 of 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Yeah, I beat it in 10. I took it slowing stealthy towards the beginning, but let the blades loose about halfway through.

Pretty good game, although I thought the story, characters and world were pretty weak. You didn't interact with people much beyond being told who to kill, and then killing them.

They did a good job of building the world in AC3 I thought. The wilderness was fantastic, but the cities reused the same assets a little too often. Just about every tower climbed the exact same way. I also much preferred the sailing missions compared to the tower defense stuff.

The actual story missions seemed very disjointed and patch worked together though. Stuff like Paul Revere's ride was pretty lack luster. I expected some epic recreations of these famous moments in history, but they were all pretty mundane.
post #430 of 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger View Post

They did a good job of building the world in AC3 I thought. The wilderness was fantastic, but the cities reused the same assets a little too often. Just about every tower climbed the exact same way. I also much preferred the sailing missions compared to the tower defense stuff.

The actual story missions seemed very disjointed and patch worked together though. Stuff like Paul Revere's ride was pretty lack luster. I expected some epic recreations of these famous moments in history, but they were all pretty mundane.

Well, I was talking about dishonored but....

Yeah, I wasn't crazy about AC3 for the most part. It tried to do way too much, and it never really came together.
post #431 of 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger View Post


The actual story missions seemed very disjointed and patch worked together though. Stuff like Paul Revere's ride was pretty lack luster. I expected some epic recreations of these famous moments in history, but they were all pretty mundane.

I love those missions.

I feel like I am on a different planet when it comes to the AC series.
post #432 of 796
"Yeah, I gave up on adaptive v-sync and stick with the old non-screen tearing standard v-sync at the driver level for all games"
"Yeah, I can't stand screen-tearing so I may change back to normal v-sync in nVidia CP"

If you guys are seeing tearing with Adaptive V-sync, then you need to do a better job of over-budgeting your 60fps goal by dropping some settings back a bit. Ideally, you should only have tearing for a frame or four, making it brief enough that you are extremely unlikely to see the tear. The goal is that your hiccup in smooth 60fps rendering only really drops you to a perceptual 55fps, instead of the jarring drop all the way to 30fps that classic v-sync provides. As a rough goal, I normally turn off v-sync entirely, target 90fps with my settings, then turn on Adaptive. The end result is a much smoother experience, with only the very, very occasional torn frame visible.

This is all on my stock FX-8350 and single GTX 660 vanilla. I find it hard to believe that you two can't achieve the same with your 3770 and 670 pairs. smile.gif
post #433 of 796
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

"Yeah, I gave up on adaptive v-sync and stick with the old non-screen tearing standard v-sync at the driver level for all games"
"Yeah, I can't stand screen-tearing so I may change back to normal v-sync in nVidia CP"

If you guys are seeing tearing with Adaptive V-sync, then you need to do a better job of over-budgeting your 60fps goal by dropping some settings back a bit. Ideally, you should only have tearing for a frame or four, making it brief enough that you are extremely unlikely to see the tear. The goal is that your hiccup in smooth 60fps rendering only really drops you to a perceptual 55fps, instead of the jarring drop all the way to 30fps that classic v-sync provides. As a rough goal, I normally turn off v-sync entirely, target 90fps with my settings, then turn on Adaptive. The end result is a much smoother experience, with only the very, very occasional torn frame visible.

This is all on my stock FX-8350 and single GTX 660 vanilla. I find it hard to believe that you two can't achieve the same with your 3770 and 670 pairs. smile.gif

I would love it if Adaptive V-sync worked like you say - 1 to 4 frames of tearing when framerate drops below 60, but every time I use it I see a 1 to 4 *seconds* of tearing. Am I doing something wrong - I'm setting the V-sync to Adaptive in the Nvidia control panel and turning off v-sync in the game. Could this it be that using this setting on a 60hz TV doesn't work as well as a computer monitor or something? confused.gif

I'm about to do a session of AC3 - I'll switch to adaptive and report if I see any tearing.
post #434 of 796
Yeah, adaptive v-sync on nvidia cards doesn't seem nearly as graceful as it is on consoles. It's like it takes a split second of dropping to 30 before it kicks in, and you get a noticeable judder before it gets the vsync disables. I try and stick with triple buffering instead wherever I can.
post #435 of 796
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I would love it if Adaptive V-sync worked like you say - 1 to 4 frames of tearing when framerate drops below 60, but every time I use it I see a 1 to 4 *seconds* of tearing. Am I doing something wrong - I'm setting the V-sync to Adaptive in the Nvidia control panel and turning off v-sync in the game. Could this it be that using this setting on a 60hz TV doesn't work as well as a computer monitor or something? confused.gif

I'm about to do a session of AC3 - I'll switch to adaptive and report if I see any tearing.

UPDATE: ok, "4 seconds" was a bit exaggeration on my part - I saw maybe around a full second (at worst) of tearing here and there. Somewhat distracting at first, but after playing for a half hour, I rarely noticed it. Not as bad as I remembered, but on occasion more noticeable then 1 to 4 frames of tearing.
post #436 of 796
"but every time I use it I see a 1 to 4 *seconds* of tearing. Am I doing something wrong - I'm setting the V-sync to Adaptive in the Nvidia control panel and turning off v-sync in the game."

The game's setting doesn't matter as the NV driver intercepts at render. The issue is likely what you are targeting. If you set your game up to sustain at 70fps non-synced, then when you do miss a 16.6ms render budget, it tends to miss for extended periods of time as you are dropping in to the 45-55fps range due to scene complexity. Targeting 90fps like I do, when I miss a 16.6ms render budget, it tends to only be missed for a couple frames before I'm back under that time limit.

Triple buffering is kind of cool, but not a perfect solution. When triple buffered, you end up with a weird cadence of dropped frames when you miss the 16.6ms update. It is a lot like the juddering artifact of telecine, but even less even. When dropped below 60fps with triple buffering you see things like "new, new, missed, new, missed, new, new, new, missed". You are also much more likely to actually feel the drop in framerate.

Hit the Medium preset, turn on Adaptive and see what happens. I bet the improvement in smoothness will far counterbalance the mild loss in shadow detail. smile.gif Again, when initially finding what settings you like, turn off Vsync and target 90-100fps, not 60-75.


"It's like it takes a split second of dropping to 30 before it kicks in, and you get a noticeable judder before it gets the vsync disables."

This doesn't happen at all. The switch from synced to unsynced happens exactly within the frame that misses the render budget.


"Yeah, adaptive v-sync on nvidia cards doesn't seem nearly as graceful as it is on consoles."

A competent console developer targets 40fps, renders at 30fps, then drops vsync when the 33.3ms budget is missed. Adaptive V-sync doesn't configure your game for you, as the console developer did. If you're feeling that it isn't as graceful, it is exclusively because you are doing a poor job of configuring your game, followed by outright dismissal of the feature rather than investigating your error. Follow Daver's example.


In terms of user experience, Adaptive V-sync is the most important thing to happen to PC graphics since the advent of DX9. Even the fanciest of systems won't hold a perfect 60fps on any game that's even relatively modern, without making some pretty severe quality sacrifices. Adaptive V-sync gets us really close to the perception of that perfect 60, while allowing us to maintain that render quality.
post #437 of 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

UPDATE: ok, "4 seconds" was a bit exaggeration on my part - I saw maybe around a full second (at worst) of tearing here and there. Somewhat distracting at first, but after playing for a half hour, I rarely noticed it. Not as bad as I remembered, but on occasion more noticeable then 1 to 4 frames of tearing.

A few torn frames and the occasional judder is definitely preferable to dropping down to 30fps for any amount of time.

I haven't gotten much use out of adaptive vsync though, because I play a lot of games in 3D, and vsync is always forced on. Triple buffering is really the only viable solution in that case to prevent the full drop to 30. I've gotten used to keeping D3Doverrider running to ensure TB is always enabled for games that don't support it. I'm not quite sure why devs don't build it into every game though.
post #438 of 796
I literally just lost an entire day of my life to civ 5. I think I finally understand those stories about people who died after 40 hours of non-stop gaming.
post #439 of 796
Oh yah. Civ5 will do that. tongue.gif
post #440 of 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Oh yah. Civ5 will do that. tongue.gif

Yeah, that will happen with Civ 5.

Anyway, thanks to Good Guy Scott here, I have a new PSU and can get back to gaming, picking Metro LL back up (the marsh level kinda killed my desire to play), slogged through it and now I'm back in the tunnels again having a blast. Well at least until I got hit with a bug.

The battery warning came up for my Light/NVGs, so I hold F to bring up the charger. Unfortunately it was right as me and my AI partner entered an "anomaly" and now I'm stuck holding the charger and cannot do anything else. I also think it has bugged the progression somehow as I cannot move past this room where something's supposed to happen.
post #441 of 796
Well, I was going to start Walking Dead: 400 Days today, but it appears that that update has totally ruined my saves. (Somehow, it appears to have corrupted my prefs.prop file, which means that even though the .save files are still there, the game refuses to read them. I've tried methods to use those saves anyway that involve changing timestamps and replacing a newly made save, but that hasn't worked). Since I don't want it to have random choices, I want it to have what I picked, it looks like I might be starting that over at some point.
Edited by jhoff80 - 7/9/13 at 3:21pm
post #442 of 796
You don't use the steam cloud save feature? You should be able to pull them from there.
post #443 of 796
Grabbed Tomb Raider on sale the other day at Amazon and have been getting some quality time with it. Really good so far.

post #444 of 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

You don't use the steam cloud save feature? You should be able to pull them from there.

No, I use it, but since the corrupted file ended up with a newer timestamp, Steam immediately uploaded it to the cloud and ruined my cloud save file too.
post #445 of 796
Thread Starter 
I just fired up Dead Space 3 after getting in on that humble bundle sale. Looks more actiony than the previous ones, but still plays very smooth - constant 60fps @ 1080p and beyond on a modern PC. Lighting isn't as impressive at DS2, but still good.

I recently beat Dishonored and Assassin's Creed III - both great console-like games and I'm looking forward to playing through the DLC once I take a break from them.

Also went through a couple Borderlands 2's DLCs - Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage and Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep - fantastic experiences both. BL2 never seems to get old.

Also still playing Pinball FX2 religiously, anxiously waiting for Pinball Arcade to hit Steam.
post #446 of 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

anxiously waiting for Pinball Arcade to hit Steam.

There's a beta already for people who donated to their Kickstarters and chose PC as the platform.

So far, I'd say they're still a few months away, it needs quite a bit of polish as of now (showing menu buttons that don't do anything, can't exit out of the game without a mouse, etc.)
post #447 of 796
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

There's a beta already for people who donated to their Kickstarters and chose PC as the platform.

So far, I'd say they're still a few months away, it needs quite a bit of polish as of now (showing menu buttons that don't do anything, can't exit out of the game without a mouse, etc.)

I think the Kickstarter donation was like $300 or something to get into the beta? eek.gif

Last I heard it was supposed to be released on Steam this month, but knowing Farsight, I would think a couple months away sounds more accurate. Man, it's going to be a busy November, gaming-wise!
post #448 of 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I think the Kickstarter donation was like $300 or something to get into the beta? eek.gif

Last I heard it was supposed to be released on Steam this month, but knowing Farsight, I would think a couple months away sounds more accurate. Man, it's going to be a busy November, gaming-wise!

I definitely didn't donate that much, I did $20 on both TZ and ST:TNG, and $18 on T2 and got an invite. Maybe they just decided since it was so delayed that they'd open it to more people, I don't know.
post #449 of 796
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

I definitely didn't donate that much, I did $20 on both TZ and ST:TNG, and $18 on T2 and got an invite. Maybe they just decided since it was so delayed that they'd open it to more people, I don't know.

Gah! I did $25 on TZ, $30 on ST and $10 on T2 and didn't get an invite. frown.gif I even emailed them asking to be involved in the Steam beta.

Ah well, Pinball FX 2 on Steam is slick and keeping me occupied.
post #450 of 796
Might want to try going to the beta site and using your Kickstarter email address then, just to see if it works:

http://pinballarcade.com/beta/
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HTPC Gaming
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › HTPC Gaming › PC GAMES thread - whatcha playin'? [NO SPOILERS UNLESS TAGGED]