or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › Odd issue: DD 5.1 not coming on when Xbox is turned on first before the TV and amp.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Odd issue: DD 5.1 not coming on when Xbox is turned on first before the TV and amp.

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
I just noticed this issue recently. My Xbox is connected with HDMI to my Onkyo receiver, then HDMI out to my TV.
If I turn on my TV and amp first ( which are CEC controlled with each other), then turn on the Xbox last, everything is fine, and the amp lights up DD5.1.

However if I turn on the Xbox first, then the amp and tv , the amp does not light up DD5.1, only PLII.
If I go into the Xbox settings and toggle between stereo and DD, or if I start watching a movie on Netflix, and I toggle audio to "stereo", and back to "DD5.1", the amp will light up DD5.1.
Any ideas?
post #2 of 8
You already found the solution. Turn things on in a different order. Yes, that is the only solution.

HDMI is a stupid, consumer-hating standard, and two-way communication only helps to make your life more painful. Classically, audio and video connections only sent data one way and had no idea what the receiving source was capable of. You had to hook it up right the first time, but then things always worked afterward. Now, setup is easier because the source device can poll the display device on it's capabilities. The trade-off is that this polling gets screwed up quite regularly resulting in issues like this. Throw in HDCP randomly breaking things for you and you've got the mess that is HDMI.
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

You already found the solution. Turn things on in a different order. Yes, that is the only solution.

HDMI is a stupid, consumer-hating standard, and two-way communication only helps to make your life more painful. Classically, audio and video connections only sent data one way and had no idea what the receiving source was capable of. You had to hook it up right the first time, but then things always worked afterward. Now, setup is easier because the source device can poll the display device on it's capabilities. The trade-off is that this polling gets screwed up quite regularly resulting in issues like this. Throw in HDCP randomly breaking things for you and you've got the mess that is HDMI.

Wow why didn't I think of that? Thanks for that educated answer. I guess I'm getting lucky that my cable box and Blu-Ray player work perfectly fine no matter what order I turn them on. But from now on I'll make sure to turn on everything in proper order.
post #4 of 8
It is always a good idea to power on HDMI devices in the order that is from the display to the source. In the case of Xbox, it is known to fail to properly accquire the correct EDID information during power up and fall back to 2-ch mode although the new updates have improved this a lot. One solution is to setup your HDMI reolution to a fixed resolution instead of auto in Xbox dashboard. This will force Xbox to use the last known settings (including DD 5.1 audio) instead of negotiating with the devices everytime you power it on. The only downside of this is that if you move the Xbox to a different location with a TV that does not support the resolution it is currently set at, you will get no picture.
post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

It is always a good idea to power on HDMI devices in the order that is from the display to the source. In the case of Xbox, it is known to fail to properly accquire the correct EDID information during power up and fall back to 2-ch mode although the new updates have improved this a lot. One solution is to setup your HDMI reolution to a fixed resolution instead of auto in Xbox dashboard. This will force Xbox to use the last known settings (including DD 5.1 audio) instead of negotiating with the devices everytime you power it on. The only downside of this is that if you move the Xbox to a different location with a TV that does not support the resolution it is currently set at, you will get no picture.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try changing the settings.

Edit: It worked! Thanks!
Edited by mikepier - 2/2/13 at 9:12pm
post #6 of 8
"One solution is to setup your HDMI reolution to a fixed resolution instead of auto in Xbox dashboard. This will force Xbox to use the last known settings (including DD 5.1 audio) instead of negotiating with the devices everytime you power it on."

"It worked! Thanks!"

It will still fail. The other solution people commonly recommend is to turn Display Detection to Off. This will also fail and result in sudden 2-channel audio for no good reason. The only real solution is to find what order your gear likes to be turned on, then always turn it on in that order. This is normally Display > Switch > Source, but it can of course vary based on phases of the moon and day of the week. Because HDMI.

The correct input setting also needs to be set before the 360 is powered on. Changing inputs after the 360 is up and running will commonly trigger the negotiation again, with the result being surprise 2-channel audio.
post #7 of 8
Yeah, I have the same issue. Although Im not going to lay the blame at HDMI's feet, my PS3 simply doesnt have this issue.
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Yeah, I have the same issue. Although Im not going to lay the blame at HDMI's feet, my PS3 simply doesnt have this issue.
I think it's an xbox issue bc my PS3 will be DD no matter what is turned on first.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Xbox Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › Odd issue: DD 5.1 not coming on when Xbox is turned on first before the TV and amp.