or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Ram for amd A10?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ram for amd A10?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
Hey guys got a amd A10 5700. Wondering what memory to use?

Normally I'd just get cheap 4gb but I know the apu uses the memory from the system. So what speed and amount is recommended for HTPC use?

Will be playing large .iso files, remuxes, 3d bd, and be a torrent server. Is the opt for 1600/1866 recommended?
4gb or 8?
post #2 of 19
I'd go with the fastest memory that your motherboard will handle. I got an MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 to go with my A6-5400K that can use overclocked RAM up to 2133. So far it's been perfectly stable since I installed it two months ago. Some boards from Asrock are now advertised that they can handle up to 2600 overclocked. I don't know if I'd try going that fast and there is a price/performance ratio to think about but faster memory will give you a slight bump in GPU performance. Check the motherboard manufacturer's qualified memory listing for your board and go with what they recommend.

For what it's worth I'm using G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) F3-2133C11D-8GAO.
post #3 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazten View Post

Hey guys got a amd A10 5700. Wondering what memory to use?

Normally I'd just get cheap 4gb but I know the apu uses the memory from the system. So what speed and amount is recommended for HTPC use?

Will be playing large .iso files, remuxes, 3d bd, and be a torrent server. Is the opt for 1600/1866 recommended?
4gb or 8?

For what you are doing I doubt you will see any difference between 1600/1866/2133. Save your money or get 8GB.

If you want to play games at all then I would recommend 1866, 2133 might be worthwhile.
post #4 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyLR View Post

I'd go with the fastest memory that your motherboard will handle. I got an MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 to go with my A6-5400K that can use overclocked RAM up to 2133. So far it's been perfectly stable since I installed it two months ago. Some boards from Asrock are now advertised that they can handle up to 2600 overclocked. I don't know if I'd try going that fast and there is a price/performance ratio to think about but faster memory will give you a slight bump in GPU performance. Check the motherboard manufacturer's qualified memory listing for your board and go with what they recommend.

For what it's worth I'm using G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) F3-2133C11D-8GAO.

I got the same Mobo smile.gif
post #5 of 19
For that motherboard I have been using Kingston HyperX DDR3-1866 (KHX1866C9D3K2) either the 4GB or 8GB kit.
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyLR View Post

I got an MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 to go with my A6-5400K that can use overclocked RAM up to 2133.

The MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 mobo does not appear to have SPDIF output which I need. I looked at the online manual but did not see a SPDIF header mentioned. By any chance do you recall from when you were installing the board that it does not have a SPDIF header?
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

The MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 mobo does not appear to have SPDIF output which I need. I looked at the online manual but did not see a SPDIF header mentioned. By any chance do you recall from when you were installing the board that it does not have a SPDIF header?

An option with SPDIF out is the GIGABYTE GA-F2A75M-D3H FM2. I run it with DDR3-1866, but one reviewer on Newegg mentioned he got DDR3-2133 working also, as long as you only use 2 sticks and not 4.
post #8 of 19
IIRC, the biggest jump in gaming framerates comes from 1600 to 1866 with smaller incremental jumps above that. Your best bang/buck is probably there, as the faster sticks get more expensive.

FWIW, on my Biostar board, my older 1600 sticks run stable at 1866, but the board really loosens the timings when set to auto for that speed. I could probably tighten them up and test for stability, or maybe up the voltage and try for 2133.

In any case, you probably won't notice with the applications you mention.
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

The MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 mobo does not appear to have SPDIF output which I need. I looked at the online manual but did not see a SPDIF header mentioned. By any chance do you recall from when you were installing the board that it does not have a SPDIF header?

Nope, no S/PDIF pins on the MSI FM2-A75MA-E35.
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyLR View Post

Nope, no S/PDIF pins on the MSI FM2-A75MA-E35.

Thanks for the info. My AVR does not have HDMI inputs so I use SPDIF.
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlantNGo View Post

An option with SPDIF out is the GIGABYTE GA-F2A75M-D3H FM2. I run it with DDR3-1866, but one reviewer on Newegg mentioned he got DDR3-2133 working also, as long as you only use 2 sticks and not 4.

That would work. I need 2 PCIe x1 slots (or higher) for 2 tuner cards. And a PCIe x16 for a video card, just in case. I realize I should need one, which is what I was hoping for on my current Intel HTPC. But I made sure the mobo had those 3 PCIe slots & I'm glad I did because I ended up needing a cheap video card. A lot of mobos I look at only have 2 PCIe slots an old PCI slot or two. And I need SPDIF audio. Those requirements usually limit my choices.

Thanks for the suggestion.
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

That would work. I need 2 PCIe x1 slots (or higher) for 2 tuner cards. And a PCIe x16 for a video card, just in case. I realize I should need one, which is what I was hoping for on my current Intel HTPC. But I made sure the mobo had those 3 PCIe slots & I'm glad I did because I ended up needing a cheap video card. A lot of mobos I look at only have 2 PCIe slots an old PCI slot or two. And I need SPDIF audio. Those requirements usually limit my choices.

Thanks for the suggestion.

TigerDirect has a deal for a Biostar A85 chipset FM2 motherboard ($64.99 after rebate): http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4979055&srkey=B450-8501. I can't vouch for the quality of this, but it's the top-of-the-line chipset for Trinity. The specs say there is SPDIF out, but I don't see a connector, so you might want to double-check that. It does have the two PCIe x1 and two PCIe x16 that you want.
post #13 of 19
Thanks -
I looked & it's a full size ATX which may be too big. I'll have to look into it some more.
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

Thanks -
I looked & it's a full size ATX which may be too big. I'll have to look into it some more.

Ah, my bad, I didn't see that.
post #15 of 19
Time for a new receiver smile.gif
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyLR View Post

Time for a new receiver smile.gif

Seconded... smile.gif
post #17 of 19
I agree.

I need one that has adjustable audio delay. Whenever I go shopping for an AVR the salespeople don't have a clue about this feature. I've looked at some on-line manuals & while some AVRs have audio sync, they make it seem like it only works in certain situations.
post #18 of 19
My Yamaha 765 can adjust at any time. I don't ever need to though. I believe my old Onkyo did this also.
post #19 of 19
My Onkyo does have adjustable audio delay. It’s a bit clunky in the way it works from the remote but it works anytime.

I looked at a newer Onkyo manual online & it said:
“The range of values you can adjust will depend on whether your TV supports HDMI Lip Sync and if the LipSync setting is set to On.”
And “This function works only if your HDMI-compatible TV supports HDMI Lip Sync.”

My TV doesn’t have HDMI Lip Sync & I have no idea which ones do. But I don’t want to have to be locked into buying a certain make of TV to get that feature.

Previously I asked on the Audio sub-forum & someone said Denon had audio delay. That was followed up by it’s no longer available on Denon remotes.

I’ll check out the Yamaha. Thanks for the suggestion.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Ram for amd A10?