or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Windows clock gradually becomes delayed
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Windows clock gradually becomes delayed

post #1 of 31
Thread Starter 
So I have a WMC machine serving up extenders for my parents. It's headless, so very little can go wrong. Unfortunately, after several months the clock becomes wrong. This causes them to miss the first few minutes of recordings. Does this happen to anyone else? It's set to automatically synchronize, so I'm not sure what the problem is.
post #2 of 31
It happens to everyone just about. Windows doesn't update the system clock enough to be accurate for PVR use.

It was just discussed earlier today and funny thing I was checking my logs just yesterday to verify some things. Anyhow, take a look here. I did this about a year ago and my clock has been right on since. It is a pretty easy fix too.
post #3 of 31
Yes! I followed this to get it to not have this issue: http://www.pretentiousname.com/timesync/index.html
post #4 of 31
I have a very similar problem with my HTPC. It is attached to an A/V receiver then to the TV. And there are two Ceton Echo extenders network attached to the HTPC. It has been running about 30 seconds or more behind the clock on the cable company's DVR, resulting in recordings starting a little late.

I had manually updated the HTPC (Windows 7) clock a few days ago to match the cable company DVR clock display, but a couple of days later it was back to being 30 or 40 seconds slow.

Yesterday I changed the Internet Time Server (to time.nist.gov) that the Windows clock synchronizes with to see if that helps. Will check again in a few days to see if that has really fixed the problem.
post #5 of 31
post #6 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

Yes! I followed this to get it to not have this issue: http://www.pretentiousname.com/timesync/index.html

 

I did the same. Works great.

Just follow the directions CAREFULLY.

post #7 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

I did the same. Works great.
Just follow the directions CAREFULLY.

Thanks for the help anyone. Unfortunately I'm stuck at the "Set the new task to run as the LOCAL SERVICE user" part. I don't see that as an option.
post #8 of 31
Download nistime-32bit.exe from here http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/upload/nistime-32bit.exe.

Set up a scheduled job to run this command every few hours (or more frequently as required):
nistime-32bit.exe once quiet
post #9 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazebo View Post

Download nistime-32bit.exe from here http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/upload/nistime-32bit.exe.

Set up a scheduled job to run this command every few hours (or more frequently as required):
nistime-32bit.exe once quiet

You can do that too.
post #10 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Thanks for the help anyone. Unfortunately I'm stuck at the "Set the new task to run as the LOCAL SERVICE user" part. I don't see that as an option.

Instead try clicking "Advanced" and then "Find Now" in the pop up window that appears.

It might be NT AUTHORITY \ LOCAL SERVICE
post #11 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post


Thanks for the help anyone. Unfortunately I'm stuck at the "Set the new task to run as the LOCAL SERVICE user" part. I don't see that as an option.

 

IIRC, that took me a while to figure out, too. I think you just need to type "LOCAL SERVICE," just like it appears in the example window.

post #12 of 31
Thread Starter 
Haha, I typed in LOCAL SERVICE and when I saw "NT AUTHORITY \ LOCAL SERVICE" I got nervous. I guess that was the right thing to do. Thanks!
post #13 of 31
I use Dimension 4. It runs in the background so I never see it and I have it set up to sync every 24 hours. It uses less than 1MB of ram and no cpu. They have a million different servers to choose from, although the default works fine. It's an old program that hasn't been updated in years but it still works.

http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/
post #14 of 31
After you save the scheduled task, it will show as simply "LOCAL SERVICE".. got to love Windows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Haha, I typed in LOCAL SERVICE and when I saw "NT AUTHORITY \ LOCAL SERVICE" I got nervous. I guess that was the right thing to do. Thanks!
post #15 of 31
updating your system clock more often will fix the problem of time. but it doesn't fix the underlying problem. to fix the underlying problem, replace your CMOS battery. I did that and my time was much much more accurate after that. my time would drift like 5 minutes after only a day. replaced the battery (making no changes to the intervals that it polls the internet clock) and it was fixed.
post #16 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

updating your system clock more often will fix the problem of time. but it doesn't fix the underlying problem. to fix the underlying problem, replace your CMOS battery. I did that and my time was much much more accurate after that. my time would drift like 5 minutes after only a day. replaced the battery (making no changes to the intervals that it polls the internet clock) and it was fixed.

A drift that big over a single day is definitely suggestive of a dying CMOS battery. My issue is happening more in the order of months, which I'm guessing has more to do with the internet synchronization not triggering like it should.
post #17 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

A drift that big over a single day is definitely suggestive of a dying CMOS battery.

Not necessarily.

I first started using nistime-32bit.exe years ago with a brand new VIA mini-itx board. The RTC would drift by as much as a minute a day. I think it was more likely cheap components were used, possibly a below-par quartz crystal used for the time base.
post #18 of 31
All my PCs drift about a minute a day. I too don't think they all have bad CMOS batteries, just bad clocks.
post #19 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

Just follow the directions CAREFULLY.

That should be the norm for all directions smile.gif.
post #20 of 31
I just use a Symmetricom GPS time server with rubidium oscillator. (XLi model) It is super accurate and keeps the entire network in sync with NTP.
post #21 of 31
Why pay for something that can be done simply for free?
post #22 of 31
Better question is why pay a base price of $3,300 (plus $200-300 for option cards) to run a statum 1 NTP server for your house when you can connect to one for free?
post #23 of 31
I didn't check the price. That is a little steep! I can have about 5 or 6 HTPC's for that price.
post #24 of 31
And update them all from an NTP.org pool: http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/NTPPoolServers

Or directly from a Statum one server: http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/StratumOneTimeServers
post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Better question is why pay a base price of $3,300 (plus $200-300 for option cards) to run a statum 1 NTP server for your house when you can connect to one for free?
It all depends how exact you want/need your time to be. The same reason people spend the same kind of money on audio/video components. Plus, a lot of people spend more money on wristwatches to keep more inaccurate time.
post #26 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1retap View Post

It all depends how exact you want/need your time to be. The same reason people spend the same kind of money on audio/video components. Plus, a lot of people spend more money on wristwatches to keep more inaccurate time.

...and then you find out the real problem was the cable company's clocks drifting, and your recordings are still cut off. biggrin.gif
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Or directly from a Statum one server: http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/StratumOneTimeServers
Please don't, as requested here. Use pool.ntp.org or at least a stratum two server. If you're working with any computer pertinent to this forum, stratum two servers are more than accurate enough.
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricN View Post

...and then you find out the real problem was the cable company's clocks drifting, and your recordings are still cut off. biggrin.gif
haha, I thought about that in the past. But last time I talked to a Comcast network engineer, he said they use TrueTime and Symmetricom GPS time servers as well to synchronize their equipment.
post #29 of 31

Once a month, whether they need it or not.

 

wink.gif

post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1retap View Post

It all depends how exact you want/need your time to be. The same reason people spend the same kind of money on audio/video components. Plus, a lot of people spend more money on wristwatches to keep more inaccurate time.

So, you are saying the symmetricom is man jewelry?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Windows clock gradually becomes delayed