or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › "OFFICIAL" Pioneer SC-1222-K Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"OFFICIAL" Pioneer SC-1222-K Owners Thread - Page 42

post #1231 of 1377
Did you try the directions from the MCACC post? http://www.avsforum.com/t/1112470/official-pioneer-mcacc-thread When I first messed with my 1222k and did the full auto MCACC, I too had my reservations. I was coming from a old Sony ES AVR, and the Sony had a warmer sound to it. After I followed the stepup steps from the MCACC post, it was MUCH better.
post #1232 of 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratified View Post

Did you try the directions from the MCACC post? http://www.avsforum.com/t/1112470/official-pioneer-mcacc-thread When I first messed with my 1222k and did the full auto MCACC, I too had my reservations. I was coming from a old Sony ES AVR, and the Sony had a warmer sound to it. After I followed the stepup steps from the MCACC post, it was MUCH better.

No not yet, to be honest I am not quite sure what to do. The reverb capture delays and such. Little out of my league.

post #1233 of 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip Gracz View Post
 

No not yet, to be honest I am not quite sure what to do. The reverb capture delays and such. Little out of my league.

Just follow the steps in the first post, cookbook style. You can experiment once you understand the process (which is one of the very nice advantages of MCACC), but, for now, use that to get closer to where you want to be.

post #1234 of 1377
I have Infinity Beta 50's as my L/R in my 7.1 setup. I hooked the low frequency terminals up to the Front wide/height Speaker B terminals on the Receiver. Did the calibration under Normal front wide. Sound came out of every speaker and driver during calibration. However when I watch a movie nothing is coming out of the low frequency drivers on the Beta 50's. And in 5.1 movies the rears do not work either. Advice please.
post #1235 of 1377
Just decided to replace my Marantz SR8400 with a new SC-1222k and got it for $260 where my son works. They have one more for $349 , if your in southern ca hit me up and I'll tell you where.
post #1236 of 1377
My local Costco in Southern California still has about 10 of this. The regular price is further reduces to $399 now, from $470 when I got it 3 months ago.
post #1237 of 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckychuck7 View Post

My local Costco in Southern California still has about 10 of this. The regular price is further reduces to $399 now, from $470 when I got it 3 months ago.


Because of your pointing this out, I called my local Costco and they had 7 left in stock...so I ran out and picked one out for the $399.99 (plus tax) on Tuesday to power a pair of RTIA9s!  Thank you, I am enjoying it right now!

 

Now if I can get a steal on a CSIA6!!!

 

Quick question for anyone:  How can I get the audio from the TV to my speakers?

post #1238 of 1377
I did a little experiment today. I tried my Maggie MMG's on the Pioneer and it was complete disaster. I got better sound out of my computer speakers lol. I would like to know which 4ohm speakers they test these units with to get this 4ohm certification.

Fortunately the unit powers 8ohm speakers just fine. But owmers beware - the 4ohm capability seems a gimmick at best. It "works" in the sense the receiver won't go into protection but the results are horrific. The distortion is terrible.
post #1239 of 1377
If I use a 6ohm center speaker with 2 8ohm front speakers, do I need to make any adjustments on the receiver?
post #1240 of 1377
^^ nope
post #1241 of 1377
Ok
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

^^ nope
Ok thx
post #1242 of 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip Gracz View Post

I did a little experiment today. I tried my Maggie MMG's on the Pioneer and it was complete disaster. I got better sound out of my computer speakers lol. I would like to know which 4ohm speakers they test these units with to get this 4ohm certification.

Fortunately the unit powers 8ohm speakers just fine. But owmers beware - the 4ohm capability seems a gimmick at best. It "works" in the sense the receiver won't go into protection but the results are horrific. The distortion is terrible.

I've used a full Maggie setup with Pioneer VSX-49txi & VSX-59txi which are class a/b amps that Pioneer never rated at 4 ohm and had excellent sound: 1.6s, cc3 center, mg1s as surrounds - far more demanding than your mmg's. I upgraded to 3.6's for fronts, put them on an ext amp, bought the SC-09tx and used it for all the rest, now an SC-68 and my Maggies still sound great! In each case, I always tried the 3.6's with the SC models just to see how well the receiver handled them and they sounded just fine to me, no strain, no "distortion" even in Pure Direct so my subs were not used for 2 ch music and movies. Since I owned, bought and paid for the ext amp for the fronts and it was a lot more powerful than even the mighty SC09, I kept it.

But at no time did I feel the sound was lacking with the Pioneers, but 600 watts at 8ohms is better than 140 or even 200 wink.gif But all the rest of the speakers still powered by Pioneers always sounded great to my ears, both with MCACC on and in Pure Direct.

IMO, you either don't have you setup right or just don't like your sound. There are a number of Maggie users here besides me that use SC models with Magnepans and are happy, member DonH50 comes to mind, using a SC-27 with Maggie IIIA's.

Its possible the 1222, with less power is not giving you what you like but I wouldn't condemn all SC models nor the amps just based on the 1222. Lets be honest, the 1222 is not one of the top models - you didn't spend a whole lot for it, so don't expect it to be equal to the top models.

But the class D amps are very capable. and do work with Magnepan speakers. Just maybe not to your liking....
Edited by ss9001 - 11/29/13 at 5:09pm
post #1243 of 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post



I've used a full Maggie setup with Pioneer VSX-49txi & VSX-59txi which are class a/b amps that Pioneer never rated at 4 ohm and had excellent sound: 1.6s, cc3 center, mg1s as surrounds - far more demanding than your mmg's. I upgraded to 3.6's for fronts, put them on an ext amp, bought the SC-09tx and used it for all the rest, now an SC-68 and my Maggies still sound great! In each case, I always tried the 3.6's with the SC models just to see how well the receiver handled them and they sounded just fine to me, no strain, no "distortion" even in Pure Direct so my subs were not used for 2 ch music and movies. Since I owned, bought and paid for the ext amp for the fronts and it was a lot more powerful than even the mighty SC09, I kept it.

But at no time did I feel the sound was lacking with the Pioneers, but 600 watts at 8ohms is better than 140 or even 200 wink.gif But all the rest of the speakers still powered by Pioneers always sounded great to my ears, both with MCACC on and in Pure Direct.

IMO, you either don't have you setup right or just don't like your sound. There are a number of Maggie users here besides me that use SC models with Magnepans and are happy, member DonH50 comes to mind, using a SC-27 with Maggie IIIA's.

Its possible the 1222, with less power is not giving you what you like but I wouldn't condemn all SC models nor the amps just based on the 1222. Lets be honest, the 1222 is not one of the top models - you didn't spend a whole lot for it, so don't expect it to be equal to the top models.

But the class D amps are very capable. and do work with Magnepan speakers. Just maybe not to your liking....

Hmm this is a 1222-k thread is it not? I am happy to hear the models further up the line are more capable. I also cannot speak about the 4ohm surround capability as I only tried pure direct stereo mode with the Maggie's . I have a feeling were i to power my fronts with a separate amp the distortion would be less obvious and quite possibly camouflaged for the surrounds if there was any. Given the fact I was running pure direct with a blank mcacc profile "setup" was not an issue.

As for not liking the "sound" heh listen....I don't expect a creamy smooth nuanced sound one would get out a good separate combo. We are talking about obvious clipping and distortion at respectable volume levels.
post #1244 of 1377
^^
OK

I'll ask...is this your 1st pair of Maggies? How long have you owned & used them? And what did you power them with before the 1222?

You do realize that Maggies are very inefficient speakers, some of the least efficient speakers one could buy, meaning gobs of power (and current) to achieve the same volume as a DefTech, Klipsch, etc. There is approx at least a 5 to 10 dB difference in volume for 1 watt @ 1 meter between a Maggie and a conventional speaker (~95 dB efficient). that is huge!

It will take about 6 to 10 times the power to achieve the same peak volume and make up that difference.

I can tell you that I bought little Martin Logan Motion 4 bookshelves as height speakers above the 3.6's and out of the box, pre-calibration, they were a lot louder than my 6 ft tall, 2 ft wide 3.6's! that's the difference between a speaker that's 90 dB efficient and one that's 85 dB efficient. Post calibration, they were level matched of course.

Especially if you didn't have a subwoofer and all bass is handled by the MMG's and 'you heard distortion, then yes you are over-driving the speakers, the amps or both.

Did any of the distortion sound like a buzzing or even rattling sound (like a ddddd)? if so, that is not the amps but the mylar film that has the wiring glued onto it slapping against the magnets on the frames. Meaning it can't reproduce the bass at that volume.

just some more food for thought re efficiency -

you listened in Pure Direct mode, no calibration. part of the MCACC calibration is to set the preamp output levels for each speaker. since these are low efficiency speakers and volume/watt is low, the calibration will boost the channel levels to compensate and achieve reference volume level (0.0 dB on the dial). from my own experience, sitting about 10 ft away from the fronts, your MMG's will probably get boosted about +2 to +5 dB after calibration, so the amps won't have to work as hard.

and some suggestions -

if you intend to use MMG's with only a low freq response of 50 HZ without a sub and trying to reproduce low bass down to 20 Hz that's in the LFE channel in movies. The speaker will not be able to do it and will protest - the panel will bottom out against the magnets. I've owned Maggies since 1982 and know their strengths and their weaknesses.

If you want to use your MMG's in a home theater setup for loud with large dynamic peaks and explosions, shots, etc, you are going to need a sub if you don't have one already. if you do have a sub, set the MMG to small, with crossover of 80 HZ. this is my advice no matter what receiver or amps you use them with....

one last thought -

from 30 yrs experience with Magnepans, IMHO, a $500 receiver from any company is inadequate to the task. You need to get a receiver with some balls (large power supply) or go ext amps. almost any Maggie owner would have advised you to look at more expensive, more powerful receiver or get another speaker. IF you had paired the MMG's with the SC-67 or 68, I believe you would have been much happier. A budget receiver and low efficiency speaker is not a good match. power needed kind of depends on what listening to. music, I use to power MG-1's with 60 clean watts per ch but it had a 950 watt transformer. but for home theater, with a bass limited speaker (50 hz is good but not full range), MMG's will crap out without a sub.

there's a dedicated Magnepan owners thread here and a dedicated Magnepan forum and many owners would have been happy to give you advice on what to use with MMG's.

http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/
Edited by ss9001 - 11/30/13 at 5:32am
post #1245 of 1377
and one more idea smile.gif

if you bought the MMG's new or are original owner, and know how they sounded before, this wouldn't apply. but if you got them used from someone and this is the 1st time you're listening to them...

it's possible that some section of the wiring grid is delaminated from the mylar film, meaning not glued on the surface anymore. this has never happened to any of mine, but all mine were never in direct sunlight which degrades the adhesive over time. the wiring can come unglued and the mylar vibrates against it, causing a distorted sound. you can DIY repairs but most I think send back to magnepan for repair

another possibility if you didn't get them brand new from Magnepan.
post #1246 of 1377

I hope someone who owns this receiver can help me.

 

I am looking to purchase one of these but I need clarification on the dimensions.  The Pioneer website lists the height at 7.28" while the manual has it at 7 1/4 ".   While that may seem insignificant I need to slide it under a support bar, and if it measures 7 1/4 it fits while at 7.28 it may not unless I alter the feet.

 

Can someone confirm the actual height?  Also since I may need to mess with the feet are they attached with screws?

post #1247 of 1377
You are splitting hairs on 1/32 of an inch (pun intended). The specification from one unit to the next could be off by that much. The wobble in a tape measure can be off that much. Based on my unit I would want at least 7 3/8 inches clearance and based on my measurement 7.28 is more accurate. Chances are they knew that no one would think in terms of 7.28 so they rounded to the nearest 1/4 inch assuming no one would try to fit it in anything less than 7.5 inches and your space was clearly set at 7.25 inches.
Edited by PubFiction - 11/30/13 at 10:00pm
post #1248 of 1377
I cut a piece of card stock 7.25 on one side and a little over on the other. When I slide it under the support the short side fits but the other side touches. Once it goes under the support I have clearance so that is not a concern, it is just getting it in place.

What about the feet? Can they be removed to shave them down?
post #1249 of 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by boat man View Post

Once it goes under the support I have clearance so that is not a concern, it is just getting it in place.
 

How much "clearance"? You realize that you need room around it for air circulation, not just to squeeze it in place?

post #1250 of 1377

Hi guys... I'm in the market for a new AV Receiver to replace my Pioneer Elite VSX-80. I need more HDMI inputs and 2 HDMI ports isn't cutting it anymore. I read your review of the Sony STR-DN1040 on CNET and I was leaning towards getting the Sony until I saw the Pioneer SC-1222-K for only $399 at Costco. That price seemed really low for a Pioneer. Has anyone had major problems with theirs? My Pioneer Elite has never had any problems and I love it... just wish I had more inputs. Thanks!

post #1251 of 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstang99 View Post
 

Hi guys... I'm in the market for a new AV Receiver to replace my Pioneer Elite VSX-80. I need more HDMI inputs and 2 HDMI ports isn't cutting it anymore. I read your review of the Sony STR-DN1040 on CNET and I was leaning towards getting the Sony until I saw the Pioneer SC-1222-K for only $399 at Costco. That price seemed really low for a Pioneer. Has anyone had major problems with theirs? My Pioneer Elite has never had any problems and I love it... just wish I had more inputs. Thanks!


I personally have owned this for a week now.  I also bought it from Costco for $399.  I like it over the HK 3700 ($1000) and Onkyo 626 ($450).  Value-wise, I think its helluva deal...considering a new one on Amazon is $599 or a refurbished one is $572!!!  I'm still a newbie, what the heck do I know!!!

post #1252 of 1377
I just picked up a 1222 to replace my 1120. Got it mostly for the D3 amps. Very happy with the sound quality. I do have one question though, does the 1222 have Dolby Volume? The 1120 it is replacing had it and I did like that feature. I checked all through the manual and could not find any reference to it, I did see the ALC and the description in the manual looked similar to the way Dolby Volume was described. Thanks for any insight you might provide.
post #1253 of 1377
Just picked up a 1222k from costco today, $399. Yesterday they had 6 units today down to 3 units.

Replacing a panasonic XR-25 with this. (remember those digital panasonics??)
Currently have an all DIY 5.1 setup. (from kits, mostly using gr-research parts)

DIY 12" sub with passive radiator and 350w plate amp. (rhytmik audio)

Front, center, left speakers are all identical:
Each has two 5.25" XBL^2 woofers and an aurum cantus g2si ribbon tweeter.

Rear left and right each have one 5.25" XBL^2 woofer and an aurum cantus g2si ribbon tweeter.

Panasonic blu-ray player, AT&T uverse and an optoma projector.
Edited by IronForge - 12/5/13 at 3:49pm
post #1254 of 1377
Does anyone know if you can set a default HDMI input when you turn the receiver on if it's not the passthrough HDMI input?

Basically I want it to passthrough my cable box when the receiver is turned off but when powered on I want it to switch to the BDR/DVR input automatically.
post #1255 of 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtpresident View Post

Purchased 1222 and have been very pleased with result. However, having problems with configuring a Zone 3 out into an older Yamaha AVR 5650 for separate speaker system. Don't seem to be getting any input from 1222. If audio component is hooked directly into 5650, input fine. I am sure it something stupid I am doing, but noticed in thread search, someone else had the same problem, but no resolving post. Thoughts?

It does not appear this previous post, received any responses. I have continued to struggle with attempting to configure a Zone 2 or 3 output directly to another amp for a separate speaker system. To date no luck with any output. Can anyone help with this configuration - an output from the 1222 to another line in on a different amp? Thanks.
post #1256 of 1377

This may be part of the problem: from page 31,

"It is not possible to down-convert the audio input signal from the HDMI input terminals or digital input terminals and output them to ZONE 3."

Same with zone 2 and audio and video.


Edited by LastButNotLeast - 12/17/13 at 5:01pm
post #1257 of 1377
Thanks Last. I had found that passage, but am not trying to convert HDMI output. The set-up I am attempting to accomplish is output from either CD player or digital music input into the 1222. The input lines are RCA plugs, although the 1222 may view this as digital input per the instructions. This plays through Zone 1 (main speaker sets). Then the output - lines out for Zones 2 and 3 or just Zone 3 RCA plug fed into the input of another amp system. Basically a pre-amp output although the 1222 does not have this feature. Perhaps the system will just not permit this.
post #1258 of 1377

Just to see if it works, how about hooking the outputs to the pre-out fronts and turning off your speakers ("pre-amp mode")?

post #1259 of 1377
To get zone2 and zone3 outputs from some devices, I hook-up both the digital (optical/hmdi for main speakers) and an analog rca (for zone2 and zone3 line-level outputs). For my appleTv 3 with only digital outputs, I had to buy an digital to analog converter to get the input for zone2/3.
post #1260 of 1377
Installed AVNavigator 2012 on my windows 7 laptop for my SC-1222 but I am having some issues with it. When I run various parts of the software (such as the wiring navi) only the diagrams show up, no text is visible. I have IE11 on the laptop. I know how to wire the receiver but it bugs me that the program is not working correctly. Has anyone else noticed any issues with the program? Took me a while to figure out how to install the English version as I normally use Firefox and it would not install properly until I used IE.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › "OFFICIAL" Pioneer SC-1222-K Owners Thread