or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › "OFFICIAL" Pioneer SC-1222-K Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"OFFICIAL" Pioneer SC-1222-K Owners Thread - Page 18

post #511 of 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Make sure you have the latest firmware update or else it won't work. It happened to me too.

Yes, I just realized that Pandora is one of the things that the firmware update addresses. Guess I'm going to have to figure out how to do that now. I've updated my Oppo player before, but that was simply downloading it onto a flash drive, and inserting it into the Oppo. The process for the SC-1222k sounds a lot more complicated. The only flash drive I have in the house is a 4GB.
post #512 of 1383
Really enjoying the new receiver - Find myself listening more to music, love the Pandora app.
Glad I made the switch from the Onkyo!
post #513 of 1383
After spending some cornfused time with the pioneer remote. I removed the batteries. Opened my front door and threw it as far as I could. : )

Between the Icontrol2012 app and a harmony 650. They work most goodest to me. Although it would be nice if Pioneer would allow you to change all your settings on the app. Or at least on the home menu via the tv scren. I'm too old to try and squint at the AVR display. its funny, cause on the Pioneer bdp 150 blu ray player. Using the app I can change all the settings of the blu ray player. But there is no eject button for the blu ray player on the app.
post #514 of 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by korkster View Post

Yes, I just realized that Pandora is one of the things that the firmware update addresses. Guess I'm going to have to figure out how to do that now. I've updated my Oppo player before, but that was simply downloading it onto a flash drive, and inserting it into the Oppo. The process for the SC-1222k sounds a lot more complicated. The only flash drive I have in the house is a 4GB.

It easy. Get the flash drive, re-formatted to FAT32, download the firmware, unzipp it, put the files in the flash drive. Turn on the receiver, go to the set up screen, go to software update, hook up the flash drive, and upgrade via USB. It will take about 10 min. to complete.
post #515 of 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNEWoLF View Post

After spending some cornfused time with the pioneer remote. I removed the batteries. Opened my front door and threw it as far as I could. : )

Between the Icontrol2012 app and a harmony 650. They work most goodest to me. Although it would be nice if Pioneer would allow you to change all your settings on the app. Or at least on the home menu via the tv scren. I'm too old to try and squint at the AVR display. its funny, cause on the Pioneer bdp 150 blu ray player. Using the app I can change all the settings of the blu ray player. But there is no eject button for the blu ray player on the app.

I agree with you on this one. The remote is lacking and somewhat confusing. I use the iControlAV2012 app more. It works!
post #516 of 1383
Best Buy has the Pioneer Elite VSX-53 on sale for $499.99 in store or ship to store for free while supplies last. If anyone is interested.
post #517 of 1383
is the vsx-53 better than the sc-1222?
post #518 of 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggie View Post

is the vsx-53 better than the sc-1222?

Its not better, but I believe it has 12v triggers.
post #519 of 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

It easy. Get the flash drive, re-formatted to FAT32, download the firmware, unzipp it, put the files in the flash drive. Turn on the receiver, go to the set up screen, go to software update, hook up the flash drive, and upgrade via USB. It will take about 10 min. to complete.

You're talking to a guy who used to buy his music on vinyl ( and still has a bunch of those old records, btw). So "easy" is a relative term :-). I can handle downloading the firmware update, I think, but re-formatting a flash drive is something I've never even heard of doing. I've got a friend at work who is a technology guru, so I'll be bugging him about that one.
post #520 of 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by korkster View Post

You're talking to a guy who used to buy his music on vinyl ( and still has a bunch of those old records, btw). So "easy" is a relative term :-). I can handle downloading the firmware update, I think, but re-formatting a flash drive is something I've never even heard of doing. I've got a friend at work who is a technology guru, so I'll be bugging him about that one.

If you do not have any important file in that flash drive then you don't have to do anything. If you do then you will need to move those file to your computer or another drive / flash drive. Thereafter, this is what you do.

1) Plug in your flash drive to your PC via USB.
2) Open up Computer or My Computer. In that window you should see all your storage devices with letters.
3) Right click on the flash drive letter.
4) Click on Format.
5) You will have a small window come up. In the section that says "File System" make sure FAT32 (Default) is selected.
6) In the Format Options you can select "Quick Format"
7) Click Start and let it run. DONE.

After that download the upgrade zip file. Unzip it, and transfer those files to your flash drive.


Here's a crappy youtube video on how to do the above steps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oeyf9oAWA3A
post #521 of 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggie View Post

is the vsx-53 better than the sc-1222?
Its not better, but I believe it has 12v triggers.

Actually 12V triggers are legacy features from the past and they are going to disappear as the phono input did. They are good for backward compatibility with old devices such as external amplifiers and subwoofers without smart on/off depending on the signal DC impedance. Most of current subs already have the smart on/off, and most of the external amplifiers already support that.

Even dough you can use a smart strip which provides almost the same functionality than the 12V triggers.

nonetheless I´d never change a 2012 Pioneer SC series for an VSX. They have class AB stages, which is a step back.

Regards
Edited by okibcn - 3/4/13 at 8:04am
post #522 of 1383
While trying to do the firmware update, I got an "update error 6" on my monitor. And everything is frozen on the receiver. Now what? I don't want to shut then receiver off while in the middle of this. Anyone have any thoughts?
post #523 of 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by korkster View Post

While trying to do the firmware update, I got an "update error 6" on my monitor. And everything is frozen on the receiver. Now what? I don't want to shut then receiver off while in the middle of this. Anyone have any thoughts?

Did you followed the steps on how to do the upgrade? If you did you will need to try a different flash drive. You will have to turn off and on your AVR.
post #524 of 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Did you followed the steps on how to do the upgrade? If you did you will need to try a different flash drive. You will have to turn off and on your AVR.
Yes, I reformatted the flash drive, and the receiver recognized the update this time, and asked if I wanted to domthe install. I said yes and it started the update, indicating it would take about 17 minutes. About two minutes in, it posted the error message on my monitor, and everything is frozen. Is it alright to shut it down at this point? I guess I have no choice, right? And thank you for your help with this. I tried to call Pioneer, but they are closed.
post #525 of 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by korkster View Post

Yes, I reformatted the flash drive, and the receiver recognized the update this time, and asked if I wanted to domthe install. I said yes and it started the update, indicating it would take about 17 minutes. About two minutes in, it posted the error message on my monitor, and everything is frozen. Is it alright to shut it down at this point? I guess I have no choice, right? And thank you for your help with this. I tried to call Pioneer, but they are closed.

You should be fine restarting the AVR. Try a different flash drive. I used a 32 GB Corsair without any issues. The USB 2.0 version.
post #526 of 1383
And we have lift off with Pandora! I used another flash drive that I had laying around; a 4 gb Lexar. I formatted it for FAT32, downloaded the firmware update, and inserted the drive into the USB port. I followed the instructions, and this time the update stuck. I followed earlier instructions for opening my Pandora account from my PC, and we're in business. A huge thank you to GusGus748s for all of your help, and patience in getting this done. There is a huge learning curve for me with this stuff, and it's pretty exciting for me when it all comes together. But it's only because some of you are willing to spend countless hours monitoring these threads, and helping those of us who need it.

Hopefully i can "pay it forward" at some point. I'm sure there will be more questions to come, but I feel like I'm finally getting this thing figured out. Thank you!
post #527 of 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by korkster View Post

And we have lift off with Pandora! I used another flash drive that I had laying around; a 4 gb Lexar. I formatted it for FAT32, downloaded the firmware update, and inserted the drive into the USB port. I followed the instructions, and this time the update stuck. I followed earlier instructions for opening my Pandora account from my PC, and we're in business. A huge thank you to GusGus748s for all of your help, and patience in getting this done. There is a huge learning curve for me with this stuff, and it's pretty exciting for me when it all comes together. But it's only because some of you are willing to spend countless hours monitoring these threads, and helping those of us who need it.

Hopefully i can "pay it forward" at some point. I'm sure there will be more questions to come, but I feel like I'm finally getting this thing figured out. Thank you!

That's great. I am glad you got it working. Remember in order to be able to turn on /off your AVR with iControlAV2012 you have to enable Network standby to ON. You can do this via the AVR setup or via web GUI.
post #528 of 1383
Well, I've been looking for a new stand forever, and my wife ended up liking this one http://www.walmart.com/ip/Whalen-TV-Stand-for-60-Flat-Panels-TVs/20629128.

I'm trying to convince her to let me get a second sub. So hopefully by buying the stand she liked will get me some brownie points.
post #529 of 1383
Mine just arrived. Can't wait to set it up!
post #530 of 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post


I'm trying to convince her to let me get a second sub. So hopefully by buying the stand she liked will get me some brownie points.

The art of compromise. Yes, I know it well. :-) Good luck with that!
post #531 of 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by korkster View Post

The art of compromise. Yes, I know it well. :-) Good luck with that!

Well, I think I am going to wait for a while so I can buy a better sub. The cool thing at my work is that we get profit sharing options, and if you don't call in sick for 3 months you get a check depending how well the company did that quarter. Last time I got a little over $500 bucks. So, if I don't call in sick and I am able to get at least $500 and then I am able to convince her to let me use another $500 I'll be able to get a pretty good sub biggrin.gif
post #532 of 1383
rolleyes.gif Well, spent some reading thru this thread, most but not all of it. I've been debating whether to purchase the Pioneer or go with a leftover TX-NR709. I am an Onkyo guy but like some others, a "legacy" person as well as having a legacy model. New tech and configs can easily confuse me:eek: I'll take a wild guess and say most of you on this thread will say "go with the Pio SC-1222" but gonna throw it out there anyway. Whadda you think?.biggrin.gif
post #533 of 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZlistener View Post

rolleyes.gif Well, spent some reading thru this thread, most but not all of it. I've been debating whether to purchase the Pioneer or go with a leftover TX-NR709. I am an Onkyo guy but like some others, a "legacy" person as well as having a legacy model. New tech and configs can easily confuse me:eek: I'll take a wild guess and say most of you on this thread will say "go with the Pio SC-1222" but gonna throw it out there anyway. Whadda you think?.biggrin.gif

If you want an Onkyo go with the NR809. Otherwise go with the pioneer.
post #534 of 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZlistener View Post

rolleyes.gif Well, spent some reading thru this thread, most but not all of it. I've been debating whether to purchase the Pioneer or go with a leftover TX-NR709. I am an Onkyo guy but like some others, a "legacy" person as well as having a legacy model. New tech and configs can easily confuse me:eek: I'll take a wild guess and say most of you on this thread will say "go with the Pio SC-1222" but gonna throw it out there anyway. Whadda you think?.biggrin.gif

SC-1222K has the class D3 amplification stage, much better sound than any other A/B amplifier under $1000. It is like night and day. The distortion of an AB stage is far higher. Advanced MCACC also does a great job trying to make any living room as close as possible to a THX room. I got mine 3 months ago and I think that I will never step back to that legacy technology.

Superior technology, superior sound.

Regards
post #535 of 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZlistener View Post

rolleyes.gif Well, spent some reading thru this thread, most but not all of it. I've been debating whether to purchase the Pioneer or go with a leftover TX-NR709. I am an Onkyo guy but like some others, a "legacy" person as well as having a legacy model. New tech and configs can easily confuse me:eek: I'll take a wild guess and say most of you on this thread will say "go with the Pio SC-1222" but gonna throw it out there anyway. Whadda you think?.biggrin.gif

 

I agree with okibcn, the D3 amps alone was well worth the upgrade over the Marantz sr6003 I had previously.  I immediately noticed a big difference in the SQ.    I am currently searching/researching a replacement receiver for it so I can put the SC1222K in my bedroom, I will be staying with Pioneer D3 amp receivers, either an SC-1522K or the SC-65.

post #536 of 1383
Looking to pick up a 1222 and need some information. I presently have a seven-year-old Yamaha RX V659 And a 5.1 Klipsch set up for home theater. However I am a bit of the purist for music. My simple solution is to have a set of paradigms On the B speaker terminals. Which i prefer for music. I Simply switch the receiver to stereo And engage the b speakers. I am then listening to stereo only with only the addition of the sub woofer. I can't see how you accomplish that with the 1222 Or most of the new receivers for that matter. I have to believe there is a way to do that. It appears the 1222 and most other new receivers Have only front presence speakers And/or zone 2 Which do not engage the subwoofer.
post #537 of 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom67 View Post

Looking to pick up a 1222 and need some information. I presently have a seven-year-old Yamaha RX V659 And a 5.1 Klipsch set up for home theater. However I am a bit of the purist for music. My simple solution is to have a set of paradigms On the B speaker terminals. Which i prefer for music. I Simply switch the receiver to stereo And engage the b speakers. I am then listening to stereo only with only the addition of the sub woofer. I can't see how you accomplish that with the 1222 Or most of the new receivers for that matter. I have to believe there is a way to do that. It appears the 1222 and most other new receivers Have only front presence speakers And/or zone 2 Which do not engage the subwoofer.

 

I have my receiver set up for 7.2 and a pair of "B" speakers,  it uses the terminals for front high/wide for them. There is no bass management for the B's, they receive only a full stereo signal.  That is the only thing I dislike about this receiver.  :(

post #538 of 1383
I am astounded since the B speaker feature Allows you to avoid two separate systems, One for HT and one for music only . I thought perhaps that the speaker menu Would allow you to change the presence speakers to the old-fashioned b speakers setting. This is not progress.
post #539 of 1383
I have also read, that this receiver does not have an onscreen display for set up or any changes to the system including speaker changes and so on. That its all done on the tiny digital screen on the front of the receiver. Is this true of all the pioneers avr's or just the "lower end" ones?
post #540 of 1383
My primitive VSX 821 Shows all of that on screen.... I'm quite certain The 1222 will show it on screen also. I understand it's not the best display, But perfectly adequate
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › "OFFICIAL" Pioneer SC-1222-K Owners Thread