or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors ›  Pioneer and Elite receivers 2013
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pioneer and Elite receivers 2013 - Page 3

post #61 of 299
We moved into a new house where we now have one HDMI and one component cables run through the wall to the TV over the fire place. I'd rather use HDMI for took hook it all up.

So I'm looking at the Elite VSX-70 to replace my aging Elite VSX-21 to gain HDMI inputs and video switching. (my VSX-21 only supports composite and s-video in/out/switching for video, and optical and coax digital audio). And I haven't hooked up any of the legacy components (Cassette player, VCR, DVD-Recorder, etc), nor do I plan to.

I noticed the info On Pioneer's web site mentions "The VSX-70 also offers advanced HDMI conveniences like Audio Return Channel and Power Save HDMI Standby Through." (bold added by me).

Does this mean even if I connect my Cable Box, Bluray, etc to the receiver for it to do video switching and output to the TV, I'd still be able to watch the cable box via the TV with the receiver "off" (or in stand-by) during those times when using the TV speakers is enough?

With my VSX-21, and my older VXS-3000, the receiver had to be on to watch any components I had switched through it.
Edited by Mark_Venture - 5/20/13 at 6:39am
post #62 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post

We moved into a new house where we now have one HDMI and one component cables run through the wall to the TV over the fire place. I'd rather use HDMI for took hook it all up.

So I'm looking at the Elite VSX-70 to replace my aging Elite VSX-21 to gain HDMI inputs and video switching. (my VSX-21 only supports composite and s-video in/out/switching for video, and optical and coax digital audio). And I haven't hooked up any of the legacy components (Cassette player, VCR, DVD-Recorder, etc), nor do I plan to.

I noticed the info On Pioneer's web site mentions "The VSX-70 also offers advanced HDMI conveniences like Audio Return Channel and Power Save HDMI Standby Through." (bold added by me).

Does this mean even if I connect my Cable Box, Bluray, etc to the receiver for it to do video switching and output to the TV, I'd still be able to watch the cable box via the TV with the receiver "off" (or in stand-by) during those times when using the TV speakers is enough?

With my VSX-21, and my older VXS-3000, the receiver had to be on to watch any components I had switched through it.



Yes. Not sure though about how to set it to TV all the time, or which input. On my 1522, I can set it to "Last watched" or pick one of the inputs to revert to. It does work, but I haven't tested it all that much.
post #63 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemtn View Post

Yes. Not sure though about how to set it to TV all the time, or which input. On my 1522, I can set it to "Last watched" or pick one of the inputs to revert to. It does work, but I haven't tested it all that much.
Very Nice. Thank you!!
post #64 of 299
The SC61 is almost the same.
post #65 of 299
I have the VSX60 and it is probably the same for standby passthrough. You set it to the component to pass through when the receiver is in standby and it works very well. I use it all the time. I do not like to watch standard TV with the receiver on, and I enjoy having one HDMI input from the receiver to the TV.
post #66 of 299
Hi All,

Been following this thread recently. I am in the market for a receiver and consider myself a newbie after years of absence. Here's my situation. I currently have 2 boss front and a center speaker that I would like to reuse... don't really care about 5.1 or 7.1 yet. However, i do have iphone, ipad, android, dvd/vhs, set top box device at home. I would love to leverage the networking, HML, dlna, etc. capabilities some of these devices can provide. I have a Synology NAS 412+ that I would like to tap into as well.

Given the above, I have done some research and zero my options down to the following two items:
  • PIONEER VSX-823-K (~$375)
  • Yamaha RXV-475 (~$340)

So, I need some suggestion as to which of the above is more preferred. Also, are there any other brand/model I should consider as well? Lastly, I haven't seen any receiver that can stream movies from a DLNA or file share device... is there such a receiver at all?

Thanks in advance
post #67 of 299
Just purchased the VSX-523. Got it for $200 at Best Buy during the Memorial Day Sale. I've only played around with it for a few hours and so far I am HIGHLY impressed. Really easy setup...just make sure you read through the manual for any fine tuning, which I'm still doing. There are quite a few presets on this baby. It looks beautiful with the rest of my gear...PS3, Toshiba DVD player, LG 3D LED HDTV. One of the presets that really stands out so far is the ext. stereo. It seems to boost the volume substantially.

Of course I'm no expert on this model yet. One question I have it which preset do you guys use for BD playback? I would assume Direct, but let me know otherwise.
post #68 of 299
ultragc,

Unfortunately, no receiver can stream video. They only support audio.

Streaming video is supported by blu-ray players, though. Apparently Sony's BD players are better at streaming than players from other manufacturers, except perhaps Oppo. Of course, there are other devices which stream video, too, like AppleTV and devices from Roku.
post #69 of 299
leem6453,

In general, one should enable the room equalization software that's provided in the receiver, not use Direct. The improvements in audio quality provided by the EQ process can be substantial.
post #70 of 299
This site has Pionner SC-LX87 (European SC-79) Pictures and specs.
http://www.hdfever.fr/2013/06/03/pioneer-sc-lx87/
It still has 7.1 Inputs contrary to what was written above.
post #71 of 299
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diagrafeas View Post

This site has Pionner SC-LX87 (European SC-79) Pictures and specs.
http://www.hdfever.fr/2013/06/03/pioneer-sc-lx87/
It still has 7.1 Inputs contrary to what was written above.
The US doesn't get that model, and they don't get the snazzy silver option.

The SC-77 is the same as the SC-LX87, but without the 7.1 inputs.
The SC-79 has HDBaseT instead of 7.1 inputs.

There could be an SC-78 in the middle there with multi-channel inputs, but I haven't heard it mentioned.
post #72 of 299
Thread Starter 
Here's the European lineup with a general list of what's added to the higher model number. Remember, the US version of the same model number may be very different.

VSX-323 - 5 amp. 4 hdmi, 4k passthrough
VSX-423 - mcacc
VSX-528 - hdmi gui, internet / dlna / airplay, mhl, 6 hdmi
VSX-828 - 7 amp
VSX-923 - 8+2 hdmi, HD zone 2, 4k upscaling
VSX-1123 - zone 2 composite out. processing.

SC-1223 - 7 amp class D
SC-2023 - 9 channel preout - rs232, 12v

SC-LX57 - 9 amp
SC-LX77 - more power, processing, certifications
SC-LX87 - more power, multi-channel input.
post #73 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enitime View Post

The US doesn't get that model, and they don't get the snazzy silver option.

The SC-77 is the same as the SC-LX87, but without the 7.1 inputs.
The SC-79 has HDBaseT instead of 7.1 inputs.

There could be an SC-78 in the middle there with multi-channel inputs, but I haven't heard it mentioned.

Thanks for the clarification.
post #74 of 299
The Elite SC-71 and Pioneer SC-1223-K appear to be identical w/exception that the 1223 lack an RS-232 serial port. Are the Elite's only available at brick & mortar shops? I'm guessing the SC-1223-K will be readily available online at discount. Other than those difference these two receivers appear to be twins. Would there be any other reasons to get the Elite over the normal Pioneer?
post #75 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Alcasid View Post

The Elite SC-71 and Pioneer SC-1223-K appear to be identical w/exception that the 1223 lack an RS-232 serial port. Are the Elite's only available at brick & mortar shops? I'm guessing the SC-1223-K will be readily available online at discount. Other than those difference these two receivers appear to be twins. Would there be any other reasons to get the Elite over the normal Pioneer?
Elite= 2year warranty
Standard = 1year warranty
post #76 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

Elite= 2year warranty
Standard = 1year warranty

Good to know! That would make me lean towards the Elite SC-71 given that it lists at the same price as the SC-1223-K.
post #77 of 299
http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/newsroom/news/AVR/page.html


Found this in another thread, looks like SC-75 and up might get ESS SABRE 32bit Ultra DAC
Edited by 67 - 427 - 6/19/13 at 10:51pm
post #78 of 299
Hey Enitime any word on 2013 Pioneer bdps? I saw their is a BDP-160, do you know if their will be anything better
Edited by 67 - 427 - 6/19/13 at 10:54pm
post #79 of 299
with DLNA support and the iControl app on an iPad, can you select/queue up MP3's to be played on these receivers? (like the Elite VSX-70, and its non-Elite equivalent)
post #80 of 299
post #81 of 299
post #82 of 299
post #83 of 299
Thought I would post this because someone will want to know about HDBaseT since the SC-79 has it.. http://www.hdbaset.org/members_list
post #84 of 299
My Yamaha R-1103 that I bought 15 years ago died on me not long ago, and when looking at receivers I looked at Denon, Yamaha, and Pioneer. After comparing all of them at a local Best Buy, I went with the Pioneer Elite VSX-70. I was glad to cut the number of cables in half and use HDMI cables and I like controlling most of my AV equipment from the receiver. Technology has come a long way in 15 years :-)
However, I am really disappointed in the sound :-( The old yamaha was sooooo much better, especially when it came to surround sound and movies (main reason why I bought it since I don't listen to music at home that often). The rest of my setup is the same, and although the Pioneer has 90W vs. 100W on my old yamaha I cannot imagine it makes that much difference. The surround almost doesn't work and it's like the volume is at half. I remember there was a button on my yamaha that significantly reduced the sound quality when I pushed it by accident, but I don't remember what it was. I believe I have tried all the options in the Audio Parameter option, but there is no difference.
This is the setup.
Front speakers: Infinity SM225. These are 200W, but are very sensitive speakers and should sound better than they do with this receiver in my opinion.
Center speaker: Infinity CC3 (I believe that's the model) and is 100W I believe
Rear speakers: Infinity QPS-1 quad 100W
Sub woofer: 12" JBL, I don't remember the wattage, but I don't think that matters anyway.
All speakers seems to be low.

In my old setup I used a optical cable from my DVD to receiver, but now I am using a cheap HDMI cable, but I don't know how much difference that can make. I also ran it through the setup with the mic they provided, so it should be set up correctly. The sound is pretty clear at normal levels, but when watching action movies I like to crank it up and it is really lacking the output I expect from such a receiver.

With the old receiver the house would rattle when I cranked it up, but there is no way I can do that now and I hope someone can help me out since I think the receiver is better than what I am able to get it to perform.

Thank you for your time.
post #85 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportri View Post

My Yamaha R-1103 that I bought 15 years ago died on me not long ago, and when looking at receivers I looked at Denon, Yamaha, and Pioneer. After comparing all of them at a local Best Buy, I went with the Pioneer Elite VSX-70. I was glad to cut the number of cables in half and use HDMI cables and I like controlling most of my AV equipment from the receiver. Technology has come a long way in 15 years :-)
However, I am really disappointed in the sound :-( The old yamaha was sooooo much better, especially when it came to surround sound and movies (main reason why I bought it since I don't listen to music at home that often). The rest of my setup is the same, and although the Pioneer has 90W vs. 100W on my old yamaha I cannot imagine it makes that much difference. The surround almost doesn't work and it's like the volume is at half. I remember there was a button on my yamaha that significantly reduced the sound quality when I pushed it by accident, but I don't remember what it was. I believe I have tried all the options in the Audio Parameter option, but there is no difference.
This is the setup.
Front speakers: Infinity SM225. These are 200W, but are very sensitive speakers and should sound better than they do with this receiver in my opinion.
Center speaker: Infinity CC3 (I believe that's the model) and is 100W I believe
Rear speakers: Infinity QPS-1 quad 100W
Sub woofer: 12" JBL, I don't remember the wattage, but I don't think that matters anyway.
All speakers seems to be low.

In my old setup I used a optical cable from my DVD to receiver, but now I am using a cheap HDMI cable, but I don't know how much difference that can make. I also ran it through the setup with the mic they provided, so it should be set up correctly. The sound is pretty clear at normal levels, but when watching action movies I like to crank it up and it is really lacking the output I expect from such a receiver.

With the old receiver the house would rattle when I cranked it up, but there is no way I can do that now and I hope someone can help me out since I think the receiver is better than what I am able to get it to perform.

Thank you for your time.

Make sure the Loudness plus feature is enabled. It may just take a few day to get use to the way MCACC set everything flat. List some of your setting and forum members can see if things are setup correctly.
post #86 of 299
I turned off DRC to see if the Loudness option was available, but it says it's only available in True Dolby or something like that.
I am constantly changing settings so I cannot post them all here.
Maybe I need to bring out the optical cable and try that and see if it works better.
post #87 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportri View Post

My Yamaha R-1103 that I bought 15 years ago died on me not long ago, and when looking at receivers I looked at Denon, Yamaha, and Pioneer. After comparing all of them at a local Best Buy, I went with the Pioneer Elite VSX-70. I was glad to cut the number of cables in half and use HDMI cables and I like controlling most of my AV equipment from the receiver. Technology has come a long way in 15 years :-)
However, I am really disappointed in the sound :-( The old yamaha was sooooo much better, especially when it came to surround sound and movies (main reason why I bought it since I don't listen to music at home that often). The rest of my setup is the same, and although the Pioneer has 90W vs. 100W on my old yamaha I cannot imagine it makes that much difference. The surround almost doesn't work and it's like the volume is at half. I remember there was a button on my yamaha that significantly reduced the sound quality when I pushed it by accident, but I don't remember what it was. I believe I have tried all the options in the Audio Parameter option, but there is no difference.
This is the setup.
Front speakers: Infinity SM225. These are 200W, but are very sensitive speakers and should sound better than they do with this receiver in my opinion.
Center speaker: Infinity CC3 (I believe that's the model) and is 100W I believe
Rear speakers: Infinity QPS-1 quad 100W
Sub woofer: 12" JBL, I don't remember the wattage, but I don't think that matters anyway.
All speakers seems to be low.

In my old setup I used a optical cable from my DVD to receiver, but now I am using a cheap HDMI cable, but I don't know how much difference that can make. I also ran it through the setup with the mic they provided, so it should be set up correctly. The sound is pretty clear at normal levels, but when watching action movies I like to crank it up and it is really lacking the output I expect from such a receiver.

With the old receiver the house would rattle when I cranked it up, but there is no way I can do that now and I hope someone can help me out since I think the receiver is better than what I am able to get it to perform.

Thank you for your time.

Sounds like you like more bass. Set your subwoofer to PLUS. Set your center and surrounds to SMALL. MCACC has the tendency to set most speakers to LARGE which causes bass on those channels not re-directed to sub.
post #88 of 299
I tried that, but it didn't make any difference.
It's not about bass, but about the volume and surround and they are both lacking.
I have tried both the BD and DVD HDMI ports (I believe there is a difference in the Audio outputs that can be used), but there was no difference when I used the HDMI cable.
I think I will have to try the optical cable tomorrow.
post #89 of 299
I doubt optical will make any difference. What volume level are you listening to? Please keep in mind that the volumes are calibrated to reference levels. So, it may not be the same as your previous uncalibrated receiver.
post #90 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

Thought I would post this because someone will want to know about HDBaseT since the SC-79 has it.. http://www.hdbaset.org/members_list

for those that need very long runs...should be a problem solver. hopefully Sony, Samsung, LG & others will put the connector & capability in new TV's so one doesn't have to buy an external $200-500 HDMI converter smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors ›  Pioneer and Elite receivers 2013