or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Dayton Audio DCS450-4 18" could this driver be used for IB?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dayton Audio DCS450-4 18" could this driver be used for IB?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Dayton Audio DCS450-4 18"

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-475


WOULD THIS be a decent budget line driver to use for IB???

I have a chance to buy 2 for 150.00 and would like to put both of them in IB with about 800 watts.
post #2 of 13
Sure they can work in an ib. That is way to much power though. 100 watts would drive the pair to xmax at 18hz. You would really want an 8 driver array, which still couldnt handle a ton of power, but output would be ridiculous since the drivers are so efficient.

The pair would do well in either a massive 10ft3 + ported cab, or a 4ft3 sealed box.
Edited by Jay1 - 2/8/13 at 6:10pm
post #3 of 13
I never noticed this Dayton DCS450 18" inch subwoofer driver until now. How does this one perform for theater use? How dos it compare to the Dayton HO18?
post #4 of 13
It likes a box twice a big as the HO18 and has a little less then 1/2 the xmax but gives you about 2dB higher sensitivity above 40hz when placed in the same sized enclosure.
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post

It likes a box twice a big as the HO18 and has a little less then 1/2 the xmax but gives you about 2dB higher sensitivity above 40hz when placed in the same sized enclosure.


So for someone with no size issues when it comes to the enclosures, what is the optimal size for this woofer in both a ported and sealed enclosure, and which of those, sealed versus ported, works best? If a ported enclosure is used, is it possible to tune it to 15hz or somewhere in that neighborhood? If used in the optimal ported enclosure what is the range of its extension down low and how is the output? Is there a possibility to use a sealed enclosure with this DCS450-4 18"?

The reason that I ask all of these questions is because I am wanting to build some new subs for my theater room, but after purchasing drivers for my LCR's, funds are limited. So I could either get 1 of the Dayton HO18's or several of these DCS450-4's, plus I am not restricted by any size limitations of the enclosures.
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

So for someone with no size issues when it comes to the enclosures, what is the optimal size for this woofer in both a ported and sealed enclosure, and which of those, sealed versus ported, works best? If a ported enclosure is used, is it possible to tune it to 15hz or somewhere in that neighborhood? If used in the optimal ported enclosure what is the range of its extension down low and how is the output? Is there a possibility to use a sealed enclosure with this DCS450-4 18"?

The reason that I ask all of these questions is because I am wanting to build some new subs for my theater room, but after purchasing drivers for my LCR's, funds are limited. So I could either get 1 of the Dayton HO18's or several of these DCS450-4's, plus I am not restricted by any size limitations of the enclosures.

If you're paying the prices on Parts Express's website I don't see why you would get the classic 18" ($125) over the DVC 15" ($120). The only advantage I see for the 18" is that it is slightly more sensitive but neither of the speakers take much power to drive them to their limits. The DVC385-88 has more output due to it having a greater xMax and it uses a smaller box. Unless you are getting a good deal like the OP ($150 for 2) there are better options than the Dayton Classic 18".

With funds being limited I'd start with one or more Dayton DVC385-88s or a single Dayton HO18. You could do a dual opposed DVC 15 sub and then add a second (or more) later on down the road if you need it.
post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
well i did end up buying the pair for 150 so i will need some help for box design.

i like ported, but if i could get lows in the 20s or teens with sealed i would do sealed.

plus i am not the best box builder
post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
i wanted to do ib, but i have to much power for ib
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by financethis View Post

well i did end up buying the pair for 150 so i will need some help for box design.

i like ported, but if i could get lows in the 20s or teens with sealed i would do sealed.

plus i am not the best box builder

So you aren't going to use these in an IB? It looks like these like big boxes. Any box size limitations? Also what size space are these going into?
post #10 of 13
What are you using for power? A huge 10ft3+ box tuned to the low 20s with a 250 watt amp should be very capable
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

What are you using for power? A huge 10ft3+ box tuned to the low 20s with a 250 watt amp should be very capable

Per driver.
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyotule View Post

Per driver.

Yes, per driver
post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 
i have a buttkick bk-a 1000.
its 1000 rms 4 ohm
or 1900 2 ohm
it has a hi pass and low pass built into the front of it
been real happy with them. i have a total of 3 of them

one for my pro 5100 and 1 for my 2 lfe

then i want one for a pair of 18s in another system

one in a system that is a living room that is suspended by wood floor. so i could do ib, but i know my amp is too big. maybe just turn it way down?

tactile should be awsome on the floor
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DIY Speakers and Subs
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Dayton Audio DCS450-4 18" could this driver be used for IB?