or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official SVS SB-13 Ultra Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official SVS SB-13 Ultra Thread - Page 5

post #121 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

Very nice review. Thanks for taking the time todo this. Things like this are very helpful to those looking to buy.

Thanks for the compliment, Kini. I'm glad you found my opinions helpful. Someone else may have a completely different (and just as valid) opinion.
post #122 of 241
OK - I've just joined this club. I was well pleased to hear the truck come up the driveway today complete with two burly courier guys and a *big* box.

Man, this thing is a little larger than I had anticipated, but it's already settling in well at the front of my 1750 cubic ft lounge (at least that's what I'm trying to convince my wife!).

I've just run MCCAC (Pioneer LX-85) and it set the cross over to 150Hz... so I ignored that and put it to 80, and the rest of my speakers to SMALL (Castle Trent II bookshelf fronts (70Hz-22Khz), a Wharfedale Pacific EVO II centre, and no-name Aiwa's which came with my wife's all-in-one stereo a decade ago for surrounds).

So far, sounds very nice in music - no chance to run a movie yet until the kids are in bed - but some good tweaking to do, methinks. Before I break out REW and a microphone this weekend, a couple of quick questions:

1) MCCAC set the sub to -11.0db... is this OK, or should I lower the sub's volume (it's currently set to -10db)?

2) I'm currently using a single cable from my AVR, into a y-cable splitter, so that both of the SB13's line inputs are plugged. Worthwhile or not?

Looking forward to listening to this beast a lot more!
post #123 of 241
Congrats!Please let me know your impressions once your all done setting it up. I'm looking to get one in the next month, primarily for movies.
post #124 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willland View Post

Ed Mullen,

You guys got any SB13 Plus' in cherry lying around? I don't see any on the used market ever, except for the one I bought a few months ago. If I can find another cherry SB13 Plus, I will probably sell my fantastic Revel B15, which I know I will regret.frown.gif

Thanks,
Bill

Sorry Bill - we don't have any of those cabinets in stock. A bunch of SB13+ owners upgraded to the SB13U when it launched, and we turned around those trade-ins on the Outlet center and that was it.
post #125 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

Dual PB16U's? Freudian slip or typo? Anything you'd care to share?

I was thinking '16 Hz vented mode' and simply typed 16 instead of 13 for the model. I corrected it above. Nothing more insidious than that. smile.gif
post #126 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by av_nz View Post

OK - I've just joined this club. I was well pleased to hear the truck come up the driveway today complete with two burly courier guys and a *big* box.

Man, this thing is a little larger than I had anticipated, but it's already settling in well at the front of my 1750 cubic ft lounge (at least that's what I'm trying to convince my wife!).

I've just run MCCAC (Pioneer LX-85) and it set the cross over to 150Hz... so I ignored that and put it to 80, and the rest of my speakers to SMALL (Castle Trent II bookshelf fronts (70Hz-22Khz), a Wharfedale Pacific EVO II centre, and no-name Aiwa's which came with my wife's all-in-one stereo a decade ago for surrounds).

So far, sounds very nice in music - no chance to run a movie yet until the kids are in bed - but some good tweaking to do, methinks. Before I break out REW and a microphone this weekend, a couple of quick questions:

1) MCCAC set the sub to -11.0db... is this OK, or should I lower the sub's volume (it's currently set to -10db)?

2) I'm currently using a single cable from my AVR, into a y-cable splitter, so that both of the SB13's line inputs are plugged. Worthwhile or not?

Looking forward to listening to this beast a lot more!

Provided the Pioneer AVR sub channel level is not bottomed out, the current settings of -10 SVS gain and -11 Pioneer sub channel level is fine.

A Y-splitter doubles the input voltage and increases the subwoofer playback level by 6 dB (via internal voltage summer circuit), as compared to a single RCA input. When MCACC is run, the Pio will compensate for this of course. So there is no real performance benefit to running a Y splitter - it doesn't add subwoofer power or max output.

The only real benefit to a Y splitter is that it will wake-up the subwoofer from standby more easily, thus helping to avoid on/standby cycling at low playback levels when listening to source material with extended periods of little/no bass content. With that said, the auto-on sensitivity is quite good in the Sledge STA-1000D, so on/standby cycling is generally not a problem/issue with owners, even at low playback levels using a single RCA input.
post #127 of 241
mine is scheduled to arrive Tuesday. Can't wait!
post #128 of 241
I was going to go rythmik but after doing extensive reading and having previously owned an SVS this looked like the best sub for my setup where asthetics are a priority.

It arrives Monday but I won't be able to do proper set up for at least two weeks. Really looking to see how this performs compared to my PB12.
post #129 of 241
Thread Starter 
Im really enjoying my dual sb13 ultras!! They have made my system sound terrific!! Best investment I have ever made in Audio!!
post #130 of 241
I'm hoping this fares well in 1600 cubic feet. The room has a large opening though and two weren't an option at this point. I think it should be great based on some feed back I read online.
post #131 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 View Post

I'm hoping this fares well in 1600 cubic feet. The room has a large opening though and two weren't an option at this point. I think it should be great based on some feed back I read online.

The sub is a monster for its size. Sounds fantastic. If your room is mostly sealed you should have some impressive results. Enjoy!
post #132 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by av_nz View Post

OK - I've just joined this club. I was well pleased to hear the truck come up the driveway today complete with two burly courier guys and a *big* box.

Man, this thing is a little larger than I had anticipated, but it's already settling in well at the front of my 1750 cubic ft lounge (at least that's what I'm trying to convince my wife!).

I've just run MCCAC (Pioneer LX-85) and it set the cross over to 150Hz... so I ignored that and put it to 80, and the rest of my speakers to SMALL (Castle Trent II bookshelf fronts (70Hz-22Khz), a Wharfedale Pacific EVO II centre, and no-name Aiwa's which came with my wife's all-in-one stereo a decade ago for surrounds).

So far, sounds very nice in music - no chance to run a movie yet until the kids are in bed - but some good tweaking to do, methinks. Before I break out REW and a microphone this weekend, a couple of quick questions:

1) MCCAC set the sub to -11.0db... is this OK, or should I lower the sub's volume (it's currently set to -10db)?

2) I'm currently using a single cable from my AVR, into a y-cable splitter, so that both of the SB13's line inputs are plugged. Worthwhile or not?

Looking forward to listening to this beast a lot more!
Congrats and welcome to the club,
If I may recommend going to the SVS site and checking what the Merlin tool recommends setting the crossover to, 100 Hz may sound a lot better smile.gif
post #133 of 241
Joining the club!

Just ordered a pair of SB 13-Ultras.

They should be here late next week. They are going into our great room that is quite large. Anxious to see how they perform. Will post pictures and listening results later.
post #134 of 241
Very pleased with my decision. Moved some 15 year old B&W CDM-SE bookshelfs to the rear, and got an SVS bookshelf for the center along with the towers and the SB13ultra. Fantastic sound. Deceptively loud (I cannot make it distort and I have tried). Clear, clean, dynamic, and give a "presence" that the B&W's lacked. Very pleased with the purchase.
post #135 of 241
Question for all you SB13-Ultra owners. You all seem to love your subs. I'm building a media room :

13 x 16 x 7.5 room, one short side open with acoustically treated sliding doors

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1464013/no-back-wall-for-new-home-theater

Paradigm S8
Paradigm C5
Paradigm ADP3
McIntosh MC8207
Integra 80.3
Oppo BDP-103

50/50 Music/Movies

I was considering dual Paradigm Sub 12's, but the more I read, the more I think I can do better for the money. Would dual SB13-Ultra's be a better option and would they work well with my setup? Thanks for any thoughts.
post #136 of 241
They'd work fine with your setup. Probably be relatively similar in terms of output, but the nod may still go to the Sub 12 if the amplifier is rated right (almost 70% more than the SB13) and given it has a much larger box (extra 4" almost in depth). If the SB13 Ultra is hundreds' cheaper, would likely be my choice between the two unless money is not a concern at all.

Would be an interesting comparison though.
post #137 of 241
I think a pair SB-13 Ultras would be fantastic especially for your size room provided we are talking a cubic feet and not cubic meters. From your figures given, your room comes in at about 1560 cubic feet which is on the smallish side. Dual Ultras will rock your space especially for HT.

Musically, the SB13 Ultra is great. I have an SB13 Plus(95% same as Ultra) paired up with a Revel B15 and I am here to tell you that the B15 has nothing on the SB13 Plus. Both are fast, punchy, and accurate with plenty of headroom. Two SB13 Ultras in your room and properly EQ'd should be nothing short of incredible.

Bill
post #138 of 241
Still waiting for this to budge a little on price. Just a little. Come on.
post #139 of 241
Who has this sub in bigger rooms and how you like it for movies ? I love the size and that woofer but when does a room start getting too big for one or two of these subs?
post #140 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABrah View Post

Who has this sub in bigger rooms and how you like it for movies ? I love the size and that woofer but when does a room start getting too big for one or two of these subs?

My room is an open dual use(family room, kitchen/nook) and is about 6000 ft3. I have an SB13 Plus, Revel B15, and a Klipsch RSW-10d in my HT/music system. Only about 2100 ft3 of the area is dedicated for HT/music and the three subs do a bang up job for both HT and music. Now if the entire 6000 ft3 was for HT/music use, I think I would be better off with a pair or maybe even three PB13 Ultras to really pressurize the room. IMO, for good HT pressurization, dual SB13 Ultras would be good for rooms no more than about 4000 ft3. I don't have all the equipment or the knowledge to make my statement completely factual, but just an somewhat educated guess.

Bill
post #141 of 241
I have the SB13 Ultra in a 1900 cubic ft room that has a opening down a hallway. I'm more than happy with it especially with music. Its detail is second to none. Movies its good as well but I think I need one more to get me where I want to go. It impresses me everyday for how small it is. After owning a Klipsch RW12D I found out real quick what having headroom is all about. tongue.gif
post #142 of 241
Anyone know the CEA numbers for the SB13 Ultra?
post #143 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABrah View Post

Anyone know the CEA numbers for the SB13 Ultra?

Probably very similar to a Sealed PB13Ultra

http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=55&mset=57
post #144 of 241
When I reviewed the sub for an Audioholics.com contest I asked the same question of Ed and he mentioned it had approximately 6 dB of headroom over the sb12 at all test frequencies. So go see Ricci's review of the Sb12 and add 6 and you'll be pretty close.

Will have a bit less than the pb13 in sealed tune at the lowest frequencies in particular just given the box size advantage the pb13 has.
post #145 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBS G35 View Post

Probably very similar to a Sealed PB13Ultra

Not meaning to be a niggle, but the PB13-Ultra.....is ported. tongue.gif
post #146 of 241
Quote:
Not meaning to be a niggle, but the PB13-Ultra.....is ported. tongue.gif
BBS G35 was most likely suggesting that the SB13-Ultra would have numbers similar to the PB13-Ultra in sealed mode. wink.gif
post #147 of 241
It should have 6db more output across the frequency response compared to the SB12 according to pbc's review.

I would still like to get a complete testing to see the full performance.
post #148 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

It should have 6db more output across the frequency response compared to the SB12 according to pbc's review.

I would still like to get a complete testing to see the full performance.

That would be useful but, this sub has been out for over a year now and still nothing. I have often wondered about this myself and have to ask, would the findings be so great or bad that nobody is willing to post them rolleyes.gif
post #149 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyghwayman View Post

That would be useful but, this sub has been out for over a year now and still nothing. I have often wondered about this myself and have to ask, would the findings be so great or bad that nobody is willing to post them rolleyes.gif

Are there test for the SB13 plus? Maby we can get an idea from that.
post #150 of 241
Yes there is.

I tried to copy and paste but it did not work.

Actual CEA2010----SB13 Plus
2m max output
115.0dB
2m max output@20Hz
98.3

Estimate CEA2010----SB13 Ultra
2m max output
115.5dB
2m max output@20Hz
98.5

Bill
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official SVS SB-13 Ultra Thread