or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo trade in...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Onkyo trade in...

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Has anyone used this service and if so what was your experience. And do any other companies like Denon or Pioneer have similar programs.

TIA:Menace
post #2 of 17
I couldn't find any direct reference to the program you're referring to. Could you provide a link or overall description?
post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post

I couldn't find any direct reference to the program you're referring to. Could you provide a link or overall description?

It's not something they advertise but if you call this number they will give you further information. I called and I guess it's a valid program for units that are just out of warranty. I still have to wait until May to trade in my tx-nr709. Which they are willing to value at $499 towards a a refurbed tx-nr5010 or 3010. I don't think it's limited to those units though, those are the ones I just asked about. Does this sound like a good deal to anyone other than me.

Does anyone know if any other company has a similar program.

Menace
Edited by menace2society - 2/14/13 at 6:15am
post #4 of 17
Thread Starter 
Sorry forgot to add the number the number is 1-800-229-1687 choose option four

Menace
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by menace2society View Post

It's not something they don't advertise but if you call this number they will give you further information. I called and I guess it's a valid program for units that are just out of warranty. I still have to wait until May to trade in my tx-nr709. Which they are willing to value at $499 towards a a refurbed tx-nr5010 or 3010. I don't think it's limited to those units though, those are the ones I just asked about. Does this sound like a good deal to anyone other than me.

Does anyone know if any other company has a similar program.

Menace

Depending upon the cost of the refurb 5010 or 3010, that sounds like a pretty good deal.

I'd gladly take $499 for my two year old TX-NR818 when that time came if I didn't have to go through the hassle of selling it.

Not bad for Onkyo either since they don't have to give up any margin to a dealer.

I'm going to tuck this info away and check it out when the time comes.
post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 
I think the value of that unit is worth more then the 709. The gentleman on the phone told me that the only stipulation was that unit be out of warranty. He said the unit didn't even have to work, and that weather it worked or not did not effect the trade in value:eek:cool.gif


Menace
post #7 of 17
The crazy thing is they are offering more in trade value for the NR709 than they sell it for refurb through Club Onkyo. I wonder how many years back the program goes... I just picked up a perfect condition NR905 for around $400 and if they would offer a good bit of trade toward an NR818 or NR1010 I would consider it.
post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 
^^I would call. I mean what could it hurt. Good luck let us know how it works out. About what they value the units at.... I know crazy isn't it.
post #9 of 17
I called just now and, the way it seems it really works, is they're offering a discount on a refurb w/ 1 year warranty in exchange for your trade in... they're not necessarily putting a value on what you're trading in, just offering a flat discount if you trade ANYTHING. It's possible that they lump different models being traded-in into different discount categories, but that's not the impression I got on the phone. Before I even mentioned I would be trading an NR905, I was told I could get a NR809 for $488 + trade and an NR1009 for $750 + trade... I get the feeling that this would have been the same regardless of what I was trading. Based on AC4L prices (same refurb w/ 1yr warranty), the "trade value" seems to equate to ~$100. If you have something really low end and/or non-functional then it may be a decent deal, otherwise you're probably better of selling it yourself if it's working and in good condition (as is usually the case with these kinds of programs).

To the OP, what kind of prices were they offering you on the NR3010 and NR5010? They said the NR818 and NR1010 were not available.
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post

I called just now and, the way it seems it really works, is they're offering a discount on a refurb w/ 1 year warranty in exchange for your trade in... they're not necessarily putting a value on what you're trading in, just offering a flat discount if you trade ANYTHING. It's possible that they lump different models being traded-in into different discount categories, but that's not the impression I got on the phone. Before I even mentioned I would be trading an NR905, I was told I could get a NR809 for $488 + trade and an NR1009 for $750 + trade... I get the feeling that this would have been the same regardless of what I was trading. Based on AC4L prices (same refurb w/ 1yr warranty), the "trade value" seems to equate to ~$100. If you have something really low end and/or non-functional then it may be a decent deal, otherwise you're probably better of selling it yourself if it's working and in good condition (as is usually the case with these kinds of programs).

To the OP, what kind of prices were they offering you on the NR3010 and NR5010? They said the NR818 and NR1010 were not available.

That's not much of a deal at all. I've seen brand new 809s for around that price in the past few months.
post #11 of 17
Based on the Amazon deals back in late December and early January you're right, it's not much of a deal... but I'm not expecting to see those pop up again any time soon to be honest (based on the fact that AC4L has now sold out at $599). I think Amazon even said that the NR809 pricing in that time frame was a mistake in their pricing algorithm and wouldn't be repeated, but who knows. I think it definitely drove interest in the NR809 which helped AC4L move the rest of their available stock.
post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post

I called just now and, the way it seems it really works, is they're offering a discount on a refurb w/ 1 year warranty in exchange for your trade in... they're not necessarily putting a value on what you're trading in, just offering a flat discount if you trade ANYTHING. It's possible that they lump different models being traded-in into different discount categories, but that's not the impression I got on the phone. Before I even mentioned I would be trading an NR905, I was told I could get a NR809 for $488 + trade and an NR1009 for $750 + trade... I get the feeling that this would have been the same regardless of what I was trading. Based on AC4L prices (same refurb w/ 1yr warranty), the "trade value" seems to equate to ~$100. If you have something really low end and/or non-functional then it may be a decent deal, otherwise you're probably better of selling it yourself if it's working and in good condition (as is usually the case with these kinds of programs).

To the OP, what kind of prices were they offering you on the NR3010 and NR5010? They said the NR818 and NR1010 were not available.

They quoted me $1250 plus trade for the 3010 and $1660 plus trade for the 5010 they also quoted me $1230 for the 5009 and $950 for the 3009. The 709 I have is a refurb from AC4l that I paid $412 plus $85 for a five year warranty. So they are offering me more then I paid.

Menace
Edited by menace2society - 2/14/13 at 6:22am
post #13 of 17
The NR3009 looks like the best deal of the bunch... it was the first Onkyo to get Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and not much changed between it and the NR3010. The mild difference in amplification and DACs along with gold plated terminals and beefier binding posts between the NR3009 and NR5009 doesn't really seem to justify a $280 price difference in my book.
post #14 of 17
Sorry, but the 3008/5008 had XT32 already... smile.gif
post #15 of 17
Sorry about that, for some reason my conciousness skips over the whole x08 series for some reason... maybe because that's about the only line I haven't owned one or considered buying one from! Thanks for the correction. smile.gif
post #16 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post

The NR3009 looks like the best deal of the bunch... it was the first Onkyo to get Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and not much changed between it and the NR3010. The mild difference in amplification and DACs along with gold plated terminals and beefier binding posts between the NR3009 and NR5009 doesn't really seem to justify a $280 price difference in my book.

I know but... you know how you just want the best of the best, how it feels when you know that there is no better. That's what keeps me on the fence. I had a 3007 that went belly up(HDMI board) that the warranty company did want to fix so the gave me a full refund. That's why I feel that the 3009/3010 is a lateral move and not a step up. Kind of silly right. Or is the 3009/3010 a step up because they are newer then the 3007? All opinions appreciated.


:confused:Menace
post #17 of 17
I see it a bit differently... I look at what the NR5009/5010 offers over the NR3009/3010 and then I look at the price difference. The 5xxx series wouldn't personally give me any more of a warm/fuzzy feeling than the 3xxx series. In this case, the difference doesn't seem to justify the price. This is coming from an owner of a top-of-line Onkyo AVR (NR905), but had I been able to get an SR875 for 23% less at the time I surely would have because the differences weren't meaningful for me.

One major step-up item from the NR3007 to the NR3009/3010 is Audyssey MultEX XT32. They also includes newer video processing in the form of HQV Vida and Marvell Qdeo in place of the older HQV Reon-VX. And the front panel is flat instead of having a chin smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo trade in...