or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › A first look at NZFS and replacing unRAID with NZFS’s Transparent RAID (tRAID)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A first look at NZFS and replacing unRAID with NZFS’s Transparent RAID (tRAID) - Page 13

post #361 of 411
No I'm just lazy for some. It's funny cause ice done the collection since this post. I just hadn't fine it yet for those.

I don't mind the copy paste to get it done, my Fkexraid server is always faster than 100MB/sec so it does not take long even over LAN.

I usually copy paste into a collection then delete the original. But moving into a folder would work too.
post #362 of 411
This^ reminds me I should make a "how do you keep your media organized" thread.

It would be interesting to see various methods and practices.
post #363 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

No I'm just lazy for some. It's funny cause ice done the collection since this post. I just hadn't fine it yet for those.

I don't mind the copy paste to get it done, my Fkexraid server is always faster than 100MB/sec so it does not take long even over LAN.

I usually copy paste into a collection then delete the original. But moving into a folder would work too.

copy paste into a collection then delete the original isn't really an issue for me, its having to then clean the library to get rid of the old path/entry in the library and then set the new version to watched and make any other changes that might be required for artwork or whatever. I thought maybe you knew of a way to keep the existing library entry but just point it to the new subdirectory
post #364 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

This^ reminds me I should make a "how do you keep your media organized" thread.

It would be interesting to see various methods and practices.

yeah that would be good, i've seen a lot of different methods used for sports like wrestling, ufc, formula 1 etc. would be nice to see everyones methods in one place
post #365 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubster5 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

This^ reminds me I should make a "how do you keep your media organized" thread.

It would be interesting to see various methods and practices.

yeah that would be good, i've seen a lot of different methods used for sports like wrestling, ufc, formula 1 etc. would be nice to see everyones methods in one place

I will start one later.
post #366 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubster5 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

This^ reminds me I should make a "how do you keep your media organized" thread.

It would be interesting to see various methods and practices.

yeah that would be good, i've seen a lot of different methods used for sports like wrestling, ufc, formula 1 etc. would be nice to see everyones methods in one place

I will start one later.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1478777/official-avs-media-organization-thread-how-do-you-organize-sort-and-maintain-your-digital-media-collection/0_100

Ask and you shall recieve
post #367 of 411
This can't happen soon enough, my unRAID server is down and the Lime-Technolgy website and more importantly the forum s are no longer there...
My server (unRAID 5.11) has been problematic at best and now I have all kinds of files troubles and am in the midst of a rebuild, however instead of dealing with a company directly about thier product (via email or phone) we are pretty much forced to use the environemnt they setup (user forums) for support. Now that is gone (hopefully for only a short time) and I am stuck without support.
Right now I am looking to external 4tb drives (4 of them) for a temp solution, but the cost is killing me.
Cannot wait to see how this transparent raid works, especially with any type of OS distribution as the end product (if it indeed has one). I hope it does since most OS's are problematic on their own and do indeed create their own lack of performance issues as well as instability.
Well I guess I can only wait..

R
post #368 of 411
So your unraid system is down ? WHy not just build a windows based server ? There is an advantage in doing that (like your files are native and readable at all times by everything)
post #369 of 411
Windows storage spaces or extended drivesis a horrible solution for large amounts of media, unless you use a hardware raid system, which it is inherently very expensive, the alternative is immature software raid systems. I started with WHS2011 and even tried server 2012 essentials...that is why I ended up with unRAID. Honestly even with 2 drives down at this time (rebuilding) I can still access all of the files on the other drives very quickly and drag and drop them to the externals or even read them from any device in my house (not just PC's), its just those two drives are unbearably slow (until they are finished rebuilding) and I am looking for a better solution at this time.
post #370 of 411
I meant WHS + Flexraid type solution. Not Windows Storage Spaces !

Flexraid is generally faster/better performance than Unraid and a bit more flexible when it comes time to rebuild since your drives are in standard windows format and readable on any system.
post #371 of 411
I did try flexraid and had all kinds of permissions issues...gave up on it, as i am finding anything running on wiondows is problematic. I also didn't get far enough to figure out whether or not it will handle my new server (will be 20+ drives). I am now hoping that t-RAID will have alinux distro that will work great ans a replacement
post #372 of 411
You know flexraid also works on linux right ?
post #373 of 411
yes I did, but with the permissions issues I had (none of my devices could see the files on the drives via SMB) that I worked on for hours and couldn't get it to work properly.
I also don't know if I am willing to take the leap yet since unRAID just works (when it's good it's really good, when it's bad it's horrible), and on minimal hardware if I want it too.
post #374 of 411
post #375 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by icedragonslair View Post

This can't happen soon enough, my unRAID server is down and the Lime-Technolgy website and more importantly the forum s are no longer there...
My server (unRAID 5.11) has been problematic at best and now I have all kinds of files troubles and am in the midst of a rebuild, however instead of dealing with a company directly about thier product (via email or phone) we are pretty much forced to use the environemnt they setup (user forums) for support. Now that is gone (hopefully for only a short time) and I am stuck without support.
Right now I am looking to external 4tb drives (4 of them) for a temp solution, but the cost is killing me.
Cannot wait to see how this transparent raid works, especially with any type of OS distribution as the end product (if it indeed has one). I hope it does since most OS's are problematic on their own and do indeed create their own lack of performance issues as well as instability.
Well I guess I can only wait..

R

Dont know what may have happened when you tried to access them but the Lime-Tech site and the forums are still there.
post #376 of 411
post #377 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

Dont know what may have happened when you tried to access them but the Lime-Tech site and the forums are still there.

They were down for a about 21 hours, they are back up now
post #378 of 411
@amarshonarbangla,
Hey thanks for those links, the progress looks amazing, waiting for it to grow up a bit and move to release final, while limping along with this unit, waiting on a new case, new drives...thinking win7pro64 (at least until linux is ready & win8 is way to problematic), along with flex(tRAID) and PLEX for starters, and then we'll see where it goes. Probably by the end of summer the software will have caught up with my needs.
post #379 of 411
I'd consider trying tRAID for my FlexRAID install, but it would be nice to have a clue how much it would cost for existing users. Also, I'd like some performance figures since it is supposed to cause a performance hit.
post #380 of 411
lol, performance hit, cant be any worse than any real time parity
post #381 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by icedragonslair View Post

lol, performance hit, cant be any worse than any real time parity

"Performance
The default configuration in RC1 represents the best case scenario for data integrity and the worst case scenario for performance.
What we mean by that is that we have crippled the performance of tRAID in favor of data integrity. In many cases, we have gone to the extreme.
Now, fear not! A few configuration changes in the UI will bring back some of that robbed performance once we all get comfortable with the new platform.

The reason behind all this is to create a safer introduction to Transparent RAID.
RAID, whether it be software RAID or hardware RAID has some inherent vulnerabilities when implemented without battery backup.
So, in accounting for power failures or system crashes, we have setup the default configuration to be as resilient as possible.

The performance tweaks should be enabled only after one's system has been tested stable under tRAID."
post #382 of 411
Nice to know and thanks for the response. Am I correct in assuming though that performance will not be crippled so much as to make it unviable for media server purposes and will still be able to rival unRAID. I hate to think that all this work will be subpar to something as oldschool as UR.
post #383 of 411
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by icedragonslair View Post

Nice to know and thanks for the response. Am I correct in assuming though that performance will not be crippled so much as to make it unviable for media server purposes and will still be able to rival unRAID. I hate to think that all this work will be subpar to something as oldschool as UR.
It is plenty fast and actually faster than anything else on the market at their top speed. wink.gif

I think people are misreading from that paragraph.
Enabling more performance won't require another build but only configuration changes.

People, I just want you to test the stability of the platform on your box before more performance is enabled.
If your hardware proves to be unstable, the default configuration is all about integrity and your hardware should fail without your data getting compromised.
Your hardware might be stable for surfing the net or running prime95. However, RAID is all about I/O stress and a combined assault on your system.
Accessing your disks one or two at a time is one thing, having them all spin up for parity calculation is another. How well your disk controller behaves during an extended I/O stress matters (many cheap controller flake).
Same for your power supply.
post #384 of 411
What are the results you are seeing so far ?

Do you think the stress from running a parity validate/verify function on Flexraid-F is any more or less stressful than with Flexraid-T ?

Assuming I am running 30TB of Flexraid-F for over a year with daily, weekly and monthly checks - and it's working great, would I expect additional stress in the new Transparent product ?
post #385 of 411
My write speed is 70-80 MB/s with 2 x 4TB data drives and 1 x 4 TB parity.
post #386 of 411
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

What are the results you are seeing so far ?

Do you think the stress from running a parity validate/verify function on Flexraid-F is any more or less stressful than with Flexraid-T ?

Assuming I am running 30TB of Flexraid-F for over a year with daily, weekly and monthly checks - and it's working great, would I expect additional stress in the new Transparent product ?
Transparent RAID will be much lighter on your setup.
So, if it survived RAID-F, you should be good hardware wise.
post #387 of 411
Sweet. Is the upgrade process complicated? Is there a cost reduction for a current or recent flexraid user ?
post #388 of 411
In my case, I would be a new user of RAID-T so I wonder what would the pricing be for new users? Still deciding whether to go with RAID-F or T for my WS2012E box.
post #389 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Sweet. Is the upgrade process complicated? Is there a cost reduction for a current or recent flexraid user ?
I'd be interested as to how you go?
post #390 of 411
I think I am going to stay with Flexraid for a while longer... I like it and it works well for how I use it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › A first look at NZFS and replacing unRAID with NZFS’s Transparent RAID (tRAID)