or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Getting a new TV for my HTPC. Suggestions?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Getting a new TV for my HTPC. Suggestions?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
I'm in the market for a 46-47" LED 1080p TV. I am certainly going to pass on the Smart TVs given the features and apps that I already have acces to with my HTPC, but would you recommend that I get a higher end TV? I mean doesn't an HTPC do all the video processing and upscaling (if necessary) that a high end TV would do? I've been looking at the Samsung UN46EH6000 due to the high grades it has received in several reviews, but would I be able to get a lower end TV (e.g., LG, Toshiba) and get the same picture quality given that I have a HTPC. My Setup is below.


CPU: AMD AM3 1045t x6 core
Ram: 4gb ADATA 800 DDR2
Video Card: MSI 5450 Radeon HD 512mb
post #2 of 19
Samsung LED or a Panasonic Plasma would be my two choices.

Panasonic = Better picture quality.
Samsung = For people that make a mistake and think a plasma is poor choice for HTPC.

Both are good.
post #3 of 19
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/46-120hz-led-tv-1080p-4-hdmi/prod7870072.ip?navAction=

I picked this one up late last year, and I really like the picture after adjusting some settings. Would buy again.
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Samsung LED or a Panasonic Plasma would be my two choices.

Panasonic = Better picture quality.
Samsung = For people that make a mistake and think a plasma is poor choice for HTPC.

Both are good.

Back in 2008 when I got my current 40" Samsung LCD the choice was due to the cost of plasma being much higher than LCD. Next time It'll probably be a plasma as they are now cheaper I think but as it will be in the 60" range and wall mounted in and area of high seismic activity and ground acceleration, weight is a concern too. I like those slim LED's for sure..
post #5 of 19
There is still a good bit of difference in different brands and "grades" of brands that offer slightly better PQ than their lower tiered cousins. I have a Panasonic plasma, and no doubt it has the best picture quality I've ever seen. Seeing one in a retail shop doesn't do it justice in your home.

I also have an LG 3D LED model (won it in my Christmas party raffle), and it's quality is pretty good... but I and my family can easily spot the differences.

I think it's best to talk about what your budget is, and then we can make suggestions.
post #6 of 19
Panasonic plasma is the best choice this year if you can afford it.
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Panasonic plasma is the best choice this year if you can afford it.
+1 for Panasonic plasmas. I don't currently own one but if I had to replace my current 60" Sony flat screen with another direct view HDTV, it would likely be a Panny plasma. I've seen several 55-60" Panny's on sale for around $650-750, give or take. Costco currently has a 55" Panny plasma on sale for $749.99 until 2/24/13. I believe Panasonic also has a 46" plasma model, but you'd have to check for the model number and availability.
post #8 of 19
Yup.

I've been using HTPC on my 55" plasma for five years.

No issues. My plasma is old school generation and more susceptible to burn in than today's stuff.

I guess I've always lived dangerously. But in this situation I'm enjoying pure win.
post #9 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post

There is still a good bit of difference in different brands and "grades" of brands that offer slightly better PQ than their lower tiered cousins. I have a Panasonic plasma, and no doubt it has the best picture quality I've ever seen. Seeing one in a retail shop doesn't do it justice in your home.

I also have an LG 3D LED model (won it in my Christmas party raffle), and it's quality is pretty good... but I and my family can easily spot the differences.

I think it's best to talk about what your budget is, and then we can make suggestions.

My budget is $700 and I am placing my HDTV in a cabinet that is 44" wide, so the largest screen I can fit in it would be a 46' or 47" LED with a thin bezel. I am open to purchasing a plasma, but I have not seen any that are listed at 46" or 47". I did see a 43" samsung plasma. What is the model of your LG? Is it the LS4600?
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediaslave View Post

My budget is $700 and I am placing my HDTV in a cabinet that is 44" wide, so the largest screen I can fit in it would be a 46' or 47" LED with a thin bezel. I am open to purchasing a plasma, but I have not seen any that are listed at 46" or 47". I did see a 43" samsung plasma. What is the model of your LG? Is it the LS4600?

Mine is the LG 47LM6200
post #11 of 19
Thread Starter 
Bought a Samsung UN46EH6000 LED online for $600. Thanks for the recommendations.
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediaslave View Post

Bought a Samsung UN46EH6000 LED online for $600. Thanks for the recommendations.

What panel type did you get, or did you not get it yet? Samsung plays panel lottery with their models; I went through this with my UN40EH5000 :X
post #13 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by staknhalo View Post

What panel type did you get, or did you not get it yet? Samsung plays panel lottery with their models; I went through this with my UN40EH5000 :X

I got the TS02 panel. I love this set. Beautiful picture with the help from the "official samsung eh6000" forum here at AVS.
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by staknhalo View Post

What panel type did you get, or did you not get it yet? Samsung plays panel lottery with their models; I went through this with my UN40EH5000 :X

I did not know this. Do you have a link? What is the difference and how do you control which panel you get?
post #15 of 19
Panasonic ST50. Love mine.
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediaslave View Post

I'm in the market for a 46-47" LED 1080p TV. I am certainly going to pass on the Smart TVs given the features and apps that I already have acces to with my HTPC, but would you recommend that I get a higher end TV? I mean doesn't an HTPC do all the video processing and upscaling (if necessary) that a high end TV would do? I've been looking at the Samsung UN46EH6000 due to the high grades it has received in several reviews, but would I be able to get a lower end TV (e.g., LG, Toshiba) and get the same picture quality given that I have a HTPC. My Setup is below.

I considered a Samsung UN46EHxxxx because it is full array backlit LED. The only magazine or online review I saw was from Sound & Vision magazine and they gave it just a mediocre review. They liked the full array backlighting and several other things, but said there are better sets for the price. Where did you see reviews on this TV?

When I look at other TVs in the same price range they also get mediocre reviews.

What I liked about the Samsung EH series is the matte or semi-matte screen. I'd like to get a plasma but the gloss screen is a deal breaker for me because of my lighting.
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Back in 2008 when I got my current 40" Samsung LCD the choice was due to the cost of plasma being much higher than LCD. Next time It'll probably be a plasma as they are now cheaper I think but as it will be in the 60" range and wall mounted in and area of high seismic activity and ground acceleration, weight is a concern too. I like those slim LED's for sure..

Sammy, I'm not judging man but why would "weight" be a concern? lol
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropkick Murphy View Post

Sammy, I'm not judging man but why would "weight" be a concern? lol

Well I don't want a nice ground shaker to rip my new TV off the wall. The more it weighs the more likely it is to come off the wall in an earthquake.
post #19 of 19
I use a subwoofer with an integrated 1800-watt amp. I like to create my own seismic activity while watching movies. biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Getting a new TV for my HTPC. Suggestions?