or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Soundbars › New Sonos Playbar
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Sonos Playbar - Page 2

post #31 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydego View Post

UPDATE: THIS solved my toslink problem just fine. Be advised, no dolby digital PLUS on the soundbar, just dolby digital. So for now, no netflix 5.1. Other than that, amazon prime streaming 5.1 no problem whatsoever.

WHAT solved your problem? Thanks smile.gif
post #32 of 77
I'm curious if anyone has started a list of TV's which support 5.1 output via TOSlink? From what I've been reading, it seems that the TV is the most important component to address when considering a Playbar.
post #33 of 77
Can anyone confirm that the Playbar will produce 3.0/3.1 channel audio via DSP even when receiving a PCM 2.0 source from the TV? I've tried emailing Sonos with this question and have not received a reply.

I'm not interested in pairing the Playbar with Play:3's to create a "true" or "discrete" 5.1 setup (like many of the other contributors). I just want some virtual/simulated surround in my minimalist living room setup while also benefiting from Sonos' music streaming features. However, plain 2.0/2.1 channel stereo is a bit plain for the price.

Thanks in advance!
post #34 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by KipNet View Post

I'm curious if anyone has started a list of TV's which support 5.1 output via TOSlink? From what I've been reading, it seems that the TV is the most important component to address when considering a Playbar.


I agree. It will be very convinience if people can see a list of TVs that can output DD 5.1 via toslink while connecting the HDMI devices to the TV.

I thought that my 2011 Sony XBR55HX929 was not going to output 5.1 since it is a 2011 model. After doing some test with my current receiver I was surprise to find it that it DOES output DD via toslink as long as the TV internal speakers are turn off. If I turn then on the output will switch back to stereo output.
post #35 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydego

UPDATE: THIS solved my toslink problem just fine. Be advised, no dolby digital PLUS on the soundbar, just dolby digital. So for now, no netflix 5.1. Other than that, amazon prime streaming 5.1 no problem whatsoever.

Yeah, would be curious how you solved this problem. Thanks.
post #36 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteh211 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydego

UPDATE: THIS solved my toslink problem just fine. Be advised, no dolby digital PLUS on the soundbar, just dolby digital. So for now, no netflix 5.1. Other than that, amazon prime streaming 5.1 no problem whatsoever.

Yeah, would be curious how you solved this problem. Thanks.

I bought a toslink switch and we enjoy every day the amazing sound that comes out of the playbar. But only in combination with the Sub.
post #37 of 77
Just got the playbar and sub today. Connected it to my panny gt50. All I can say is that this is the best sound I have ever heard anywhere To include av systems costing thousands more. Do yourself a favor and skip the rears as they won't work fo most direct to tv optical connections. And they are NOT NEEDED. This SONOS system should be advertised as 2.1. You will not miss the 5.1 rear speakers with this set up.
post #38 of 77
Hi,

I'm interested in this soundbar. I'm not planning to buy the 2 rear speakers. For know, I would just stick to the soundbar and maybe buy in the future the subwoofer to get a 2.1 system.
I would connect all the external devices to the tv (panasonic GT60) via HDMI and connect the tv to the soundbar through optical cable.

I'm just getting confused about this DTS issue.
Is it related only to 5.1 systems, or it applies also to 2.1 setups?
With the above configuration (2.1), what would happen if I played a blueray or a mkv featuring a DTS track?

Thanks
post #39 of 77
My two cents:

I purchased the Sonos Playbar first...loved the sound, rich, clear and pleasing.

Liking the playbar so much, I added two play 3's for 5.1...those sounded okay.

Finally, I bought the Sonos Sub and holy crap, the system just took off! I have had a lot of very good audio equipment, but I have NEVER heard a sub sound this good. After a few days, I decided to return the play 3 speakers as I just don't think they add enough to justify the $600 cost.

So now, my setup is the playbar plus the sub and the sound is mind blowing. I'm not trying to tell anyone that this beats a 5.1 system or anything like that, but if anyone tries to tell you that the playbar and sub don't sound tremendous should not be trusted for audio advice.

Can you get better sound? Of course you can, but I'm just saying that the Sonos components are very much worth the dollars you pay for them. I would like to know if anyone has compared the Sonos playbar to the Bose SR1 and if so, which sounds better?

Considering the power of the Sonos sub, I doubt that I would make that change. If you are building a Sonos system, the sub is the key to EVERYTHING...without it, it's just an above average soundbar, with it, the sound is epic.
post #40 of 77
I have 6 Sonos devices already and am looking at adding a playbar to my Sharp 70-Inch LE750. I only want the 2:1 sound, so I would need to buy the Sonos playbar and subwoofer ($1400). But I'm wondering if it would be better to purchase the Klipsch HD Theater SB 3 Soundbar with Wireless Subwoofer for $700 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092QGSHM and then add the Sonos Connect Amp ($500) Total $1200. The Klipsch has an input for this too. This would save a few bucks and I wonder if the Klipsch system may sound better and be more compatible with my HDTV (which is the main reason for me considering the Klipsch)
post #41 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by younggotti View Post

Hi,

I'm interested in this soundbar. I'm not planning to buy the 2 rear speakers. For know, I would just stick to the soundbar and maybe buy in the future the subwoofer to get a 2.1 system.
I would connect all the external devices to the tv (panasonic GT60) via HDMI and connect the tv to the soundbar through optical cable.

I'm just getting confused about this DTS issue.
Is it related only to 5.1 systems, or it applies also to 2.1 setups?
With the above configuration (2.1), what would happen if I played a blueray or a mkv featuring a DTS track?

Thanks
With this system you will not get DTS for now. There is an update coming for it. But really the sub and soundbar is all you need and a very minimalist feel to it.

Fantastic!
post #42 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc2112 View Post

With this system you will not get DTS for now. There is an update coming for it. But really the sub and soundbar is all you need and a very minimalist feel to it.

Fantastic!
With the GT60 it is always outputting PCM stereo via optical out. It cannot output any DTS OR DOLBY DIGITAL so this setup is only for 2.1 which in my opinion is better.
post #43 of 77
post #44 of 77
So, if I get this right, the tv would output only PCM through optical and then the soundbar would have no problem delivering the downmixed sound. Is that correct?
In any case, the idea of paying all this money to get such limitations is not really appealing. I think in the end I'll go with LG or Yamaha...
post #45 of 77
There is an article stating this limitation in Home Theater Magazine online.
post #46 of 77
any tips for getting the error message to go away when using with the toslink out of a Samsung TV? I recall there being a thread about it but couldn't find it.
post #47 of 77
Any playbar owners that have any listening experience with Soundmatters Slimstage bars? I'm a Slimstage 30 owner considering a playbar because of the expandability and streaming options. I'm wondering how the two compare/contrast in terms of sound.
post #48 of 77
Has anyone bypassed using the display as the distribution center and connected the source material (Blu-ray or Cable box) to an optical switcher and then the sound bar, [Blu-ray, cablebox > optical switcher > sound bar]? I would be concerned about syncing issues.

Or does anyone know whether the Panasonic VT60 series optical output delivers Dolby Digital format?
Edited by mbroadus - 12/17/13 at 8:35am
post #49 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post

Or does anyone know whether the Panasonic VT60 series optical output delivers Dolby Digital format?

The ST does not perform this function, I guess the VT is the same. "If you expect to connect a soundbar and have the TV perform switching among HDMI sources such as a cable box and Blu-ray player, be advised that the ST’s optical digital audio output you’ll use to feed the soundbar downconverts all multichannel Dolby Digital and DTS bitstreams to PCM stereo, which will bypass any DD or DTS decoder built into the soundbar and result in less-than-best sound quality."
post #50 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post

Has anyone bypassed using the display as the distribution center and connected the source material (Blu-ray or Cable box) to an optical switcher and then the sound bar, [Blu-ray, cablebox > optical switcher > sound bar]? I would be concerned about syncing issues.

Or does anyone know whether the Panasonic VT60 series optical output delivers Dolby Digital format?

I use the Monoprice 4x HDMI switch; my Panasonic GT30 won't pass DD thru optical. No issues with syncing (that I've noticed yet.) However I have had an issue with the picture going to snow when I change channels on the cable box. Pressing the "5.1" button restores the image. This appears to occur with all Monoprice switches, as I've tried more than one and they all had this issue.

Also, the switch does not decode Dolby Digital Plus, so there's no 5.1 for Netflix.

The second i learn of a better solution I'll probably jump on it, but at the moment I am unaware of one.
post #51 of 77
I know this is a playbar thread, but how would the playbar and sub combo measure up to audioengine a5+'s?

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
post #52 of 77
The Playbar would give a better surround experience especially if you have side walls. The A5 would have better sound quality but would need a sub to compete with a play bar and sub.
post #53 of 77
will using this optical switch for the direcTV box and an appleTV to the playbar give me the Dolby 5.1 instead of the stereo output I get from my Samsung using hdmi then optical to the sonos?

http://www.amazon.com/Nyrius-SW100-Digital-Selector-Compatible/dp/B000812QC6/ref=pd_cp_e_0
post #54 of 77
It should, but it is a mechanical switch which just redirects the light path. If you have long runs it might not work. This one works and can be controlled with a remote which is great if you use a universal remote, it is a lot more expensive though.
http://inday.com/da4x/da4x.htm
post #55 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttlnb View Post

It should, but it is a mechanical switch which just redirects the light path. If you have long runs it might not work. This one works and can be controlled with a remote which is great if you use a universal remote, it is a lot more expensive though.
http://inday.com/da4x/da4x.htm

Thanks. I wanted to simplify and remove wires boxes plugs etc so I think I'll settle on one of these for now:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042301&p_id=2670&seq=1&format=2
post #56 of 77
I'm not sure if you sent the wrong link but that item extends a toslink cable if you current cable is not long enough. It won't help with switching your devices. they do make a mechanical swich similar to the amazon one you were looking at. It is worth a try.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2946&seq=1&format=2
post #57 of 77

Can DTS be added by a firmware update or is it a hardware install at the factory?

post #58 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post


The ST does not perform this function, I guess the VT is the same. "If you expect to connect a soundbar and have the TV perform switching among HDMI sources such as a cable box and Blu-ray player, be advised that the ST’s optical digital audio output you’ll use to feed the soundbar downconverts all multichannel Dolby Digital and DTS bitstreams to PCM stereo, which will bypass any DD or DTS decoder built into the soundbar and result in less-than-best sound quality."

 

I haven't tested the optical out/  digital audio out on my Panasonic Plasma TCP-65VT60, but in the manual it says:

  

DIGITAL AUDIO OUT:  PCM / Dolby Digital, Fiber Optic

 

I'm also interested in the Sonos Playbar but will only consider if it can decode Dolby Digital 5.1 at least. 

 

"Mbroadus", please let me know if you hear anything further on this.

post #59 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondabbq View Post
 

Can DTS be added by a firmware update or is it a hardware install at the factory?

hondabbq, it used to be that DTS was chip based and required a hardware install, so I'm presuming it's still the same.  Would be great if they fixed that barrier, though.

post #60 of 77
The Panasonic VT60 will pass only PCM stereo via the optical output from connected video sources. It will pass 5.1 or whatever format is present from over the air.

It won't matter what the Sonos will process, if you connect your components to the VT-60, you will receive only 2-channel from the TV output.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Soundbars
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Soundbars › New Sonos Playbar