or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Why do these speakers look awesome?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why do these speakers look awesome?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-wilson-audio-sasha-watt-puppy-obsidian-black-2013-01-29-speakers-98290-woodway-wa

Has anybody heard these? Not that I'm even remotely considering these at this time, but just stumbled upon it on Audiogon. They look pretty nice though.. biggrin.gif
post #2 of 19
At $27.000 when bought new, they better look and sound awesome wink.gif
post #3 of 19
Check out the Alexandria XLF by Wilson Audio, they are quite impressive, and their price tag is in the ball park of $250,000 eek.gif
Edited by Transmaniacon - 2/15/13 at 8:16am
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

Check out the Alexandria XLF by Wilson Audio, they are quite impressive, and their price tag is in the ball part of $250,000 eek.gif
Perhaps, if you think 'impressive' is synonymous with 'ugly'. And, like all Wilsons, they don't sound any better than other speakers with one less zero in the price tag, if not two. rolleyes.gif
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

Check out the Alexandria XLF by Wilson Audio, they are quite impressive, and their price tag is in the ball part of $250,000 eek.gif

I would agree the price tag is impressive. smile.gif Personally, if I had that kind of money, it would be invested in something with a decent ROI.

~~~
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Perhaps, if you think 'impressive' is synonymous with 'ugly'. And, like all Wilsons, they don't sound any better than other speakers with one less zero in the price tag, if not two. rolleyes.gif

By impressive I mean their shear size and construction, they definitely have a unique appearance...
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

By impressive I mean their shear size and construction, they definitely have a unique appearance...

In person they are for sure unique looking ...

I once demoed them and then immediately after some Revel Salon's (one less zero tongue.gif). I preferred the Salons. Wilson's appeal like all loudspeakers in that price category is that they are comfortably beyond the reach of the common man ... rolleyes.gif
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

By impressive I mean their shear size and construction, they definitely have a unique appearance...
Intentionally so. There's nothing in the realm of speaker technology that's actually worth that price, so Wilson separates itself from the rest of the pack by what I can only call 'interesting' looks. If I'm being kind, that is. biggrin.gif
post #9 of 19
If I am going to get a over-priced speaker for its looks, I'd much rather get some Rockport speakers. The Puppies look pretty blah for a speaker that costs as much as they do. I'll take some B&W 800s over Puppies anyday.
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

If I am going to get a over-priced speaker for its looks, I'd much rather get some Rockport speakers. The Puppies look pretty blah for a speaker that costs as much as they do. I'll take some B&W 800s over Puppies anyday.
My take is that Wilson buyers subscribe to the theory that anything that bizarre looking must sound good, otherwise why would they look that way? And that's why Wilson makes them so.
post #11 of 19
C'mon Bill, you're leaving out the super-secret X-material that Wilson uses for the cabinet.
That alone is worth $20k, so really you're getting the drivers, x-over and binding posts for a mere $7k.

Can I put you down for 2 pair? tongue.gif
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

If I am going to get a over-priced speaker for its looks, I'd much rather get some Rockport speakers. The Puppies look pretty blah for a speaker that costs as much as they do. I'll take some B&W 800s over Puppies anyday.

Amen, those 800s are on my short list when I hit the lottery biggrin.gif
post #13 of 19
http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/200000-alexandria-xlf-speakers-billed-as-worlds-best-may-also-be-worlds-ugliest/

There's one of these outside my local McDonalds. It's in the drive through next to the menu. I tell them what my order is. I think they sound terrible. Not much better than a transistor radio.
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

C'mon Bill, you're leaving out the super-secret X-material that Wilson uses for the cabinet.
That alone is worth $20k, so really you're getting the drivers, x-over and binding posts for a mere $7k.

Can I put you down for 2 pair? tongue.gif
If I couldn't beat that Wilson with $2500 worth of materials I'd eat that super-secret X material, a whole Alexandrias worth. wink.gif
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

C'mon Bill, you're leaving out the super-secret X-material ***

AKA countertops.
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWA View Post

Has anybody heard these?


Wilson loudspeakers have a signature sound. I too like the look of the Sasha's but I am not a fan of how they sound.
post #17 of 19
We put paintings on our walls. We even pay a lot for them.
I'm not sure my couch does anything better than one less expensive.

I disagree with the premise that for all people and in all situations: sound is the only reason to spend money on audio gear.
Though I don't find Wilson terribly striking, and though I will not be buying them: I don't fault the guy that bought a gold toilet (likely flushes less well than porcilin) , I don't fault the guy that bought an original Picasso, and I won't fault the guy who bough the speakers he thought looked best.
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove View Post

We put paintings on our walls. We even pay a lot for them.
I'm not sure my couch does anything better than one less expensive.

I disagree with the premise that for all people and in all situations: sound is the only reason to spend money on audio gear.
Though I don't find Wilson terribly striking, and though I will not be buying them: I don't fault the guy that bought a gold toilet (likely flushes less well than porcilin) , I don't fault the guy that bought an original Picasso, and I won't fault the guy who bough the speakers he thought looked best.
I would. biggrin.gif

Let's not start confusing Wilson speakers with a Picasso or a fine gold toity.
post #19 of 19
When I heard the Alexandria's it was in a well treated space with great source material and power. I thought they sounded like really excellent 2 channel speakers. I actually preferred the much less expensive but still overpriced (IMHO) Revel Salons. But with an unlimited budget and in a dedicated 2 channel system one could do much worse. smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Why do these speakers look awesome?