or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Arx A5 vs. HTD Level Three vs. EMP E55Ti tower shootout
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Arx A5 vs. HTD Level Three vs. EMP E55Ti tower shootout - Page 2

post #31 of 121
I always liked a wider speaker vs. narrow and tall...but honestly I try very hard not to go on looks. Going just on looks (although red vs. black is not exactly apples to applies I like the HTD too..just the shape of it better.)

That being said half my speakers are "b" stock black.

For my mains...I went with (one can argue) not the most attractive option. What you give up in looks (which are very subjective) you gain in sound(again subjective).

I am one of the lucky ones...my wife pretty much lets me do as I wish smile.gif
post #32 of 121
I say keep them all! Really looking forward to your impressions!
post #33 of 121
All I see is Archer and "Cyril the taint sucker"
post #34 of 121
This is an awesome thread. Kudos to the OP for doing this.
post #35 of 121
Looking forward to more observations. Have fun!
post #36 of 121
Great shootout. Haven't seen these three high-value, very well-received towers compared. Looking forward to it. Wish I could be there.
post #37 of 121
Thread Starter 
Got the speaker selector with volume matching last night. Tried a couple different ways to level match with SPL app on the iPhone (10th Decibel). Tried tone generators and music, but had a hard time finding music that was at the same constant volume for long. Also I noticed that the SPL app would make a claim that speakers were pretty closely matched but one would "sound" louder, are my ears off or is that expected? Should I ignore the meter and go with what "sounds" the closest or trust the meter? I tried to level match L/R independently but eventually gave it up and just worried about level matching each speaker set as a whole.

I find myself wishing the Pyle selector had a more fine-grain volume control.
post #38 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsianMan View Post

Got the speaker selector with volume matching last night. Tried a couple different ways to level match with SPL app on the iPhone (10th Decibel). Tried tone generators and music, but had a hard time finding music that was at the same constant volume for long. Also I noticed that the SPL app would make a claim that speakers were pretty closely matched but one would "sound" louder, are my ears off or is that expected? Should I ignore the meter and go with what "sounds" the closest or trust the meter? I tried to level match L/R independently but eventually gave it up and just worried about level matching each speaker set as a whole.

I find myself wishing the Pyle selector had a more fine-grain volume control.


Use the test tones in your AVR(should have a Level Adjustment, that plays a white noise test tone), and go pick up an SPL meter from radioshack, their like 25 bucks IIRC
post #39 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsianMan View Post

Got the speaker selector with volume matching last night. Tried a couple different ways to level match with SPL app on the iPhone (10th Decibel). Tried tone generators and music, but had a hard time finding music that was at the same constant volume for long. Also I noticed that the SPL app would make a claim that speakers were pretty closely matched but one would "sound" louder, are my ears off or is that expected? Should I ignore the meter and go with what "sounds" the closest or trust the meter? I tried to level match L/R independently but eventually gave it up and just worried about level matching each speaker set as a whole.

I find myself wishing the Pyle selector had a more fine-grain volume control.

If you can download something like "20-20kHz Pink Noise" then that will make level matching much easier both ways. It's a constant tone that plays the full bandwidth of the speaker. I've got quite a few setup discs and most have this on there.Shoot me a PM and maybe there is a way I can e-mail it, host it or just send you a CD with a few comparison and setup tracks on there. I've got all the Autosound discs, Focal, B&W, etc.

Your ears can deceive you a little, but they'll get you pretty close. I would just try to level match using the phone and then make small corrections by ear if needed. Shouldn't need to make anything drastic if the app is working
post #40 of 121
I am really looking forward to your review of these speakers. I have had my my eye on the HTD level three's for some time now.
post #41 of 121
Hmmmmm.................................... MarsianMan must be out of town (or heavily occupied elsewhere)? Can't wait to hear impressions of these three towers side by side.

Hope to hear thoughts on them playing something really BIG, like the Berlin Philharmonica or such like. I long for a strong midrange, but at a bargain price.
post #42 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnuggets View Post

I am really looking forward to your review of these speakers. I have had my my eye on the HTD level three's for some time now.

As have I. Love them.
post #43 of 121
Looking forward to this review as well. I have the Level Two's, love the sound as well but it came down to the ARX and HTD for my final decision.
post #44 of 121
Interested in what you have to say. I spent a while torn between the A5's and the E55's. I'm now waiting on the E55's but I'm curious how they compare.
post #45 of 121
Wow, what happened .. Did the speakers eat him..
post #46 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddledwitlead View Post

Wow, what happened .. Did the speakers eat him..

Either that or his wife had him for breakfast. eek.gif

Hope he gets back soon, with great reviews of all three.
post #47 of 121
I've been waiting on this exact review and I can't believe I found it. I'm so up in the air on whAt to buy. I had 3.1 system with aperion itmus center and bookshelves, powered by an rxv 1900, with velvodyne sub. It sounded awesome but my kids pushed in the speakers over the years. Just recently went into BB and listened to the motion 4s and the b&w 685s.
I really liked the motions , they didn't do bass but that's what tuning and a sub is for. I also listend to some b&w 603 towers . They had awesome bass but not my taste for hometheater , I honestly think the cheap martin login 4s were pretty cool. You couldn't pinpoint what speaker was on..
post #48 of 121
Well I talked to him...I think it was last week....and made him a chart of what to look for and places for notes for each speaker. Hopefully he comes back with his opinions


BUT!

Don't forget that this is just one person's opinions and can pretty much only help him. You might not hear the same as him and feel the same about each speaker. I think each of these are likely great speakers. My biggest "I don't know about this..." is the 2" midrange in the HTD tower. I see problems arising from that, but maybe I'm wrong
post #49 of 121
I agree everyone's ears are different. I have so many friends that buy stuff and just toss it up. No tuning or tweaking ... Then they come to my house and don't understand how my set ups sound so good. It's called no love.. They just buy whatever's shiny and looks nice.. Or whatever the salesmen persuades them to be the best or easiest to hook up..
post #50 of 121
If anyone could help, I'm deciding on the a5, a1b, ml preface , motion 4s , motion 12s, or an els from ml or newform research. I can't find much about new form?
post #51 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

Don't forget that this is just one person's opinions and can pretty much only help him. You might not hear the same as him and feel the same about each speaker.

I'm not so sure of that. While you're correct that his wants/needs/likes may differ from what someone else thinks/feels, if his assessment his thorough I suspect it will help more then just himself. I imagine the reason people are subscribed to this thread is because they want to hear what he has to say, which certainly implies his evaluation will be beneficial to others as well.
post #52 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddledwitlead View Post

If anyone could help, I'm deciding on the a5, a1b, ml preface , motion 4s , motion 12s, or an els from ml or newform research. I can't find much about new form?

Don't know anything about NewForm. I would definitely take the Arx over the Motions. But I've only demo'd those instore and wasn't very impressed. ESL on the other hand are great speakers, but I think they are significantly higher than the Arx models.
post #53 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

I'm not so sure of that. While you're correct that his wants/needs/likes may differ from what someone else thinks/feels, if his assessment his thorough I suspect it will help more then just himself. I imagine the reason people are subscribed to this thread is because they want to hear what he has to say, which certainly implies his evaluation will be beneficial to others as well.

Uh.... That's why I created an evaluation sheet for him and I've already said I'm looking forward to what he has to say. From what I've seen and he's told me so far, he's pretty new to this so take opinions at your own risk. I think we ALL know that applies 100% of the time with something subjective. Sure you can get good info on build quality and the like, that doesn't mean you'll feel the same way about the speaker in your home. I know what you're trying to say.... You just took my comments a little too literal. smile.gif
post #54 of 121
It's funny , they don't even push the esl's in BB anymore. There in the corner covered with dust. Haha ... The minute they turned on the esl's , i felt the soundstage tripled in size. It seems the younger guys like the definitives techs do to the boomy bass. I personally thought they sounded muddy and under developed , but they were harder to pinpoint. The motions vs the b&w at BB could be a toss up. I personally liked the way motions couldn't be located. They were almost as clean as b&w's but hide well like the definitives .. But it's not a muddy hide. It was like wow that sound came from way over there. I always thought the center was on with the logan motions and it was only 2.1. I also heard the energy line and it sounded like 80s boom box garbage. Not even on the same playing field. The esl I thought blew them all away , that's just my dumb opinion. That's when I started looking and found Arx...
post #55 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddledwitlead View Post

It's funny , they don't even push the esl's in BB anymore. There in the corner covered with dust. Haha ... The minute they turned on the esl's , i felt the soundstage tripled in size. It seems the younger guys like the definitives techs do to the boomy bass. I personally thought they sounded muddy and under developed , but they were harder to pinpoint. The motions vs the b&w at BB could be a toss up. I personally liked the way motions couldn't be located. They were almost as clean as b&w's but hide well like the definitives .. But it's not a muddy hide. It was like wow that sound came from way over there. I always thought the center was on with the logan motions and it was only 2.1. I also heard the energy line and it sounded like 80s boom box garbage. Not even on the same playing field. The esl I thought blew them all away , that's just my dumb opinion. That's when I started looking and found Arx...

"Disappearing" is a common user experience with Arx. You can read the product reviews, Read Jim's review of the Arx A1b bookshelf, or read forum posts at TAI. The Arx series is really good at presenting a large, cohesive soundstage and it being very difficult for the user to localize them. The Arx uses what is basically a modified version of the Hivi 1.3 seen here:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=297-412

Jon Lane uses very simple crossovers in his designs with a minimum number of components....so there are very few in-line devices present that may color the sound.
Edited by BufordTJustice - 3/10/13 at 4:42pm
post #56 of 121
Awesome , I can't wait to make some money and by some of these... I really wanted esl's but I don't see it in my budget. Ill throw my aperion's in the back for now.. Ill by 3 a1b for the front . I have a velvodyne sub from 10 years ago and a yam rxv 1900. I'm also gonna buy an epson 8350 or the benq1070... 106 inch screen.. Just got divorced so fck it.... Haha.. Don't cheat yourself treat yourself...
post #57 of 121
edited
post #58 of 121
Thread Starter 
Sorry for the delay guys. I will post my thoughts tonight. I've just been listening and thinking how to describe them as accurately as I can (for posterity). So I guess you can say that the speakers have eaten me smile.gif
post #59 of 121
Haha, awesome cant wait to here your about it.
post #60 of 121
We're is he.....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Arx A5 vs. HTD Level Three vs. EMP E55Ti tower shootout