I just put together a new system with an A10-5800k CPU and only using onboard 7660D GPU. I cannot get smooth playback at all with 720p or 1080p files. I have obviously not set things up properly as it even stutters slightly without engaging svp at all. It even stutters in xbmc. I have not loaded any codecs/decoders/etc besides the usual recommended ones (LAV, MadVR, FFdshow). I can't imagine that processor is not strong enough to manage 1080p MKV let alone 720p files. I have tried it on all svp presets and no dice. Any suggestions on how to set up my GPU? Wth am I missing??? I am using most recent catalyst drivers.
Your hardware is fast enough for SVP 3g + madVR BC75+AR/LZ3+AR. It's configuration that's wrong. Try this:
- Disable "Core Performance Boost" or "CPB Mode" (Turbo Core) in BIOS. This constantly changes the multiplier and baseclock of CPU, that often results in instability of SVP.
- Make sure your RAM is in dual channel mode. DDR3-1866 is recommended.
AMD Vision Engine Control Center
- Disable all Color > Advanced options.
- Disable all Video options except for deinterlacing and pulldown detection.
- Select Level 3g
- Make sure "GPU-acceleration (OpenCL)" is checked. (CPU alone is not fast enough to execute Level 3g algorithm.)
- Chroma upsampling: Bicubic 75 + AR (or M-N for softer upscaling)
- Image upsampling: Lanczos 3 + AR (or anything except for Jinc).
- Make sure to check "use a separate device for presentation (Vista and newer)". Checking this will reduce GPU load greatly.
- Disable smooth motion