or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Audio theory, Setup and Chat › Audio related - db estimates on the SPL of meteorite that exploded over Russia yesterday; anybody have seen figures?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio related - db estimates on the SPL of meteorite that exploded over Russia yesterday; anybody...

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Has anyone seen any db estimates on the SPL of the initial shock wave and the others that immediately followed the meteorite that exploded over Russia yesterday? Must be huge to cause so much damage!
(yea, not HT related but still audio related...so I post here)
post #2 of 18
That was one of my first thoughts when I read about it! I couldn't find anything so want to stay tuned. The wiki on spl has a chart indicating a shockwave (didn't specify from what) was in excess of 194dB...ouch
post #3 of 18
Truly amazing that in our time we actually have audio and video of this event. Being a young boy during the Cuban Missile Crisis and Cold War, the first thing I would have thought that this was this was a Nuclear First Strike.
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post

Truly amazing that in our time we actually have audio and video of this event. Being a young boy during the Cuban Missile Crisis and Cold War, the first thing I would have thought that this was this was a Nuclear First Strike.

You and a lot of other people back then....can you imagine if something like the Tunguska event would happen in a populated area even now?
post #5 of 18
Its hard to imagine a sonic wave of this magnitude.
On a smaller scale, but also impressive....did anyone hear of the gas explosion that practically destroyed the neighborhood in Indianapolis, IN.
Not to change the subject, The meteorite explosion just reminded me of that....again on a smaller scale.
It would be fun to know the db rating of this historic event.

Todd
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

That was one of my first thoughts when I read about it! I couldn't find anything so want to stay tuned. The wiki on spl has a chart indicating a shockwave (didn't specify from what) was in excess of 194dB...ouch

If this is true (194dB) then many if not most of the injured would be suffering from ruptured eardrums in addition to glass cuts.

While no definitive answers about actual SPL's here is a site with some good medical implication info.
post #7 of 18
Using some mass and velocity estimates I saw quoted on the news...
( 10 metric tonnes . . . i.e., approx 20,000 lbs . . . and 19 miles/sec . . . i.e., approx 100,000 feet/sec )
...I come up with a kinetic energy on atmospheric entry of about 100,000,000,000,000 foot poundals . . . which one on-line converter computed to be 1.007172801 kiloton equivalent.

That's only about one third the size of the 1917 Halifax Explosion . . .


(Contrary computations and corrections welcome.)
_
post #8 of 18
[quote - That's only about one third the size of the 1917 Halifax Explosion . . . [/quote]

I am impressed that you ever heard of this event.
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

That was one of my first thoughts when I read about it! I couldn't find anything so want to stay tuned. The wiki on spl has a chart indicating a shockwave (didn't specify from what) was in excess of 194dB...ouch

Going to need a bigger sub...
post #10 of 18
IF the over pressure for glass breaking is .15 psi (lower limit) then the dBSPL would be around 155. Hah, definitely noticeable!!

http://www.fema.gov/pdf/plan/prevent/rms/428/fema428_ch4.pdf
post #11 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamin View Post

IF the over pressure for glass breaking is .15 psi (lower limit) then the dBSPL would be around 155. Hah, definitely noticeable!!

http://www.fema.gov/pdf/plan/prevent/rms/428/fema428_ch4.pdf

Thank you so much for posting that!
Is there a formula used to convert psi to db spl?
I quickly read the 14 pages and did not see that.

looking on the web I see this, Pa needs to be converted to psi
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-soundlevel.htm

Edited by mtbdudex - 2/18/13 at 12:04pm
post #12 of 18
See sound pressure level at
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_pressure#section_2

First convert psi to pascals
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFXguy View Post

[quote - That's only about one third the size of the 1917 Halifax Explosion . . .

I am impressed that you ever heard of this event.[/quote]

Well, I hadn't...wow!
post #14 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamin View Post

See sound pressure level at
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_pressure#section_2

First convert psi to pascals

Thx again, we posted same time I added graph to my psot above, but its in Pa
post #15 of 18
Easy way might be
dBSPL=20*log(psi)+170.75
Just a thought.
post #16 of 18
Thread Starter 
Found this chart
post #17 of 18
Cool
Saved me the hassle
Thanks
post #18 of 18
http://www.makeitlouder.com/Decibel%20Level%20Chart.txt

"163 (P)GLASSBREAKING LEVEL, MINIMUM, IT IS VERY HARD TO BREAK GLASS WINDOWS.
MANY STORIES COME FROM BREAKING GLASS BUT IT IS HIGHLY VARIABLE: IT IS
EASIER TO BREAK IF THE WINDOW ALREADY HAS A CRACK, IS VERY LARGE OR
OLD AND BRITTLE AND NOT CAR SAFETY GLASS WHICH CAN FLEX MASSIVELY
BEFORE BREAKING. AN OPERA SINGER AT 110 DB MAY BREAK A WINEGLASS BUT IT IS AN
EXAMPLE OF FREQUENCY RESONANCE, AND NOT HIGH SOUND DB LEVEL -REF.1.1987
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Audio theory, Setup and Chat
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Audio theory, Setup and Chat › Audio related - db estimates on the SPL of meteorite that exploded over Russia yesterday; anybody have seen figures?