or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread - Page 42

post #1231 of 4329
Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_ice View Post

what settings did you change after calibration?

This is what Im using at night, w/ cinema 1
Backlight 5
Contrast 85
Brightness 50
Colour 55
Hue 0
Colour temp. Warm 2
Sharpness 50
Extra processing off
Motionflow Off
Film mode auto

Adv settings
Black corrector off
Adv contrast enhancer off
Gamma -2
Led dynamic control low
Auto light limiter off
Clear white off
Live colour off
Detail enhancer.off
Edge enhancer off

White balance
R GAIN -1
B gain -2
Rest 0.
post #1232 of 4329
pg_ice,

Don't really know anymore than what I'd typed earlier. Not sure I worded it correctly since its been two months since I got the set. The dealer did mention that the number of different calibration settings were less than the model it replaced from last year. That's about all I really know. Thanks again for your help and comments.
post #1233 of 4329
I have a 46W905 and there's a bit of banding but nothing bad, I've noticed it a bit when gaming in Ethan Apartment in Heavy Rain but that's about it didn't see any when I played Last of us, oh and during very bright moving scenes. but that's it. I'm more annoyed by the screen being darker on both sides...

I'm fairly happy with the TV, It's a decent improvement from the W805. Seems to be less reflective than the W805, but I'm not sure why they're both glossy screen.
Edited by DeltaRaven - 9/9/13 at 5:18am
post #1234 of 4329
lol
you even got RGB colors when the tv is off
just check for them in the reflections.

this isnt an ordinary LCD thats for sure smile.gif
post #1235 of 4329
I am not trying to hijack your thread, but I would really be interested in the views of the owners of the w900a on the new 65w850a. The only info out there indicates that it will perform very close to the w900a. Any and all comments will be of value. Especially those of owners such as tgm1024. Thanks
post #1236 of 4329
2nd this between here and cnet i almost bit the bullet last week and got one. But reading the news from ifa plus my desire for at least a little bigger size has me wondering which way to go.
post #1237 of 4329
Just a quick note to anyone who bought it from Amazon, they will price match to the new $2000 price point if you bought in the last 30 days.
post #1238 of 4329
alamone is correct....I ordered my set last Tuesday at the old price. Called Amazon, got a $300 refund.
post #1239 of 4329
I bought W900A (~2 weeks) at local Fry's and they matched Amazon new price. Glad to see Fry's 30-day low-price guarantee policy in practice...

I think this round of price cut should be related to 65W850 announcement. Since the new 65" is in the W8 class, it probably is more on W802 side rather than W900A side. With the information available so far, I think 65W850 should have 120Hz refresh rate.

However, I am curious why Sony did not sell it or call it as W925 (or something in W9 class. There is a 55W950 selling in Asia market already which has whole glass front panel.) as it gets quantum dot LED and active 3D technologies.
post #1240 of 4329
Pretty sure everything i saw regarding the 65W805A indicated it has a lower motionflow rate. So as others have stated, probably 120hz. Not bad for a panel of it's size especially if it has all the other goodies of it's technically more powerful brother.
post #1241 of 4329
Sorry to re-post my question here. Last time I posted it as a new thread. Hope I can get some ideas in this thread.

One issue I had with my W900A is incorrect showing of Chinese characters within the Internet Apps like YouTube, Facebook, and Internet browser. Instead of Chinese characters, it shows square blocks. I think it probably will do the same to other non-English characters.

I am quite sure that W900A is available in many countries where English is not the native language. I also saw reviews of W900A (W9 class) from Taiwan and China where the whole user interface is in Chinese. Therefore, this should be a configuration issue as W900A's firmware should have all the characters embedded.

Does anyone know how to make it work right with foreign characters in the Internet Apps? I want to preserve the base English UI setting.

Thanks!
post #1242 of 4329
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwu View Post

Sorry to re-post my question here. Last time I posted it as a new thread. Hope I can get some ideas in this thread.

One issue I had with my W900A is incorrect showing of Chinese characters within the Internet Apps like YouTube, Facebook, and Internet browser. Instead of Chinese characters, it shows square blocks. I think it probably will do the same to other non-English characters.

I am quite sure that W900A is available in many countries where English is not the native language. I also saw reviews of W900A (W9 class) from Taiwan and China where the whole user interface is in Chinese. Therefore, this should be a configuration issue as W900A's firmware should have all the characters embedded.

Does anyone know how to make it work right with foreign characters in the Internet Apps? I want to preserve the base English UI setting.

Thanks!

Ensure the TV is up to date. I haven't tested this myself but it would be my first step. If not, I would then consider changing the language to Chinese.
post #1243 of 4329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mesiya View Post

Pretty sure everything i saw regarding the 65W805A indicated it has a lower motionflow rate. So as others have stated, probably 120hz. Not bad for a panel of it's size especially if it has all the other goodies of it's technically more powerful brother.

Looking at the specs, it is a VA panel (like the w900a) and has all the same features, with the only difference being motion flow 480 instead of 960. This is going to be a steal if the picture quality is the same as the w900a. Im jealous of all you late adopters tongue.gif
post #1244 of 4329
Look at this video comparing this model with the Samsung F8000.
NOTE: This is in GERMAN


post #1245 of 4329
^^^ And what is he saying?
post #1246 of 4329
It looks like the 65w850 is matte and not glossy like the w900a. I wish i had waited 2 months before i purchased the w900a.
post #1247 of 4329
I just noticed this
http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/surprise-sony-says-hdmi-2-0-is-just-a-firmware-update-away/

If true, would there be any benefit if the W9 could get a firmware update to HDMI 2.0?
post #1248 of 4329
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post

I just noticed this
http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/surprise-sony-says-hdmi-2-0-is-just-a-firmware-update-away/

If true, would there be any benefit if the W9 could get a firmware update to HDMI 2.0?

It could easily get a firmware update for HDMI 2.0 but I don't see any benefits over the current HDMI standard for non 4k sets.
post #1249 of 4329
Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post

^^^ And what is he saying?

No idea what he is saying, however that video shows exactly what I saw in the store when viewing both sets side by side. The F8000 looks like it has a haze over it, while the w900a has deeper blacks and much more vivid colors. What was shocking is that even in store mode, the sony still has the eco sensor on. So compared to tvs around it, the w900a will look dull and dim until this is turned off (why sony, why?). When I turned it off the guys in the magnolia section were shocked. rolleyes.gif
post #1250 of 4329
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

No idea what he is saying, however that video shows exactly what I saw in the store when viewing both sets side by side. The F8000 looks like it has a haze over it, while the w900a has deeper blacks and much more vivid colors. What was shocking is that even in store mode, the sony still has the eco sensor on. So compared to tvs around it, the w900a will look dull and dim until this is turned off (why sony, why?). When I turned it off the guys in the magnolia section were shocked. rolleyes.gif

The Samsung colors looked so washed out, it's hard to believe that it was set up properly.
post #1251 of 4329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do-It-Yourself View Post

Look at this video comparing this model with the Samsung F8000.
NOTE: This is in GERMAN



Man that really shows off the Pink'ish haze this set has from off angle.
post #1252 of 4329
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBonk View Post

Man that really shows off the Pink'ish haze this set has from off angle.

I noticed that to and I can say it looks extremely exaggerated in the video. Not sure if its the camera or not but the pink color is only noticeable from extreme angles. White is pure white unless you are viewing the tv from 85+ degrees off center, at which point a pink hue will appear. The washout of the VA panel is more distracting than the hue though.
Edited by *UFO* - 9/11/13 at 2:23am
post #1253 of 4329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mojo View Post

The Samsung colors looked so washed out, it's hard to believe that it was set up properly.

One would like to hope so, but that is how it looks compared to the w900a. According to avforums, the f8000 displayed a calibrated black level of 0.05cd/m2 with a peak white of 109cd/m2 while the w900a has a calibrated black level of 0.025cd/m2 with a peak white of 117cd/m2. The f8000 has half the ANSI contrast of the w900a.
post #1254 of 4329
Something does seem off about that F8000 though. Not saying the Sony isn't capable of better measurements but subjectively that video makes the F8000 look noticeably worse than what I see on my F6400's (have a 75" and a 50"). Hard to believe s showroom like the one in the video would intentionally tank a comparison to favor one set over another, but based on what I see on my own sets, it's very very hard to believe that the F8000 in the video is properly dialed in.
post #1255 of 4329
Agreed. It looks much worse than my XBR9!
post #1256 of 4329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mojo View Post

The Samsung colors looked so washed out, it's hard to believe that it was set up properly.

every tv now looks washed out compared to the W9.
only the OLED tvs is close.

in the video its probably oversaturated SRGB colors and those are not correct.
it looks good but it isnt right.
(for those of you that own a Samsung Galaxy S4 you know what i mean.)
punchy deep colors but still oversaturated.

i have tested the livecolor some time now and it all depends on what you are watching and much you can "oversaturate" with the bigger gamut.
thats what you do today when all content is made for SRGB.
you oversaturate the colors.

some HD material seems to have more "room" for oversaturating than others.
material thats already on its limit with the SRGB colors looks worse.
probably because they are already oversaturating the colors from the source material?

i have not find a solution why some material looks **** when using Live Color and some looks fantastic.
dont know if its in the quality or details?
movies with alot of Grain(ex: Olympus Has Fallen) seems to look worse when using live color.
the faces looks like they have been sunbaked for days in a row in the sun
3rd degree of burns wink.gif

clean movies like The Avengeres looks way better and are almost screaming for more colors.

its a big difference.
why?
dont know smile.gif

the only stuff that takes most benefit from the wider gamut is when you are viewing DSLR photos that has adobe rgb color presentation.
those photos looks amazing with colors you have never seen.

its time to replace SRGB! smile.gif
Edited by pg_ice - 9/11/13 at 8:04am
post #1257 of 4329
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

while the w900a has a calibrated black level of 0.025cd/m2 with a peak white of 117cd/m2..

its the light they have choosen in the test not the "peak" light smile.gif
im sure you understand.
117cd/m2 is what Plasma TVs can deliver at max(with good blacklevel) but its nothing for this tv.

i have not measured the peak white but i can do it.
i think its around 300cd/m2
post #1258 of 4329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mesiya View Post

Pretty sure everything i saw regarding the 65W805A indicated it has a lower motionflow rate. So as others have stated, probably 120hz. Not bad for a panel of it's size especially if it has all the other goodies of it's technically more powerful brother.

If that is the case, would the TV handle motion fine or would it be a big difference from the 55w900a? I am thinking about picking up the 55w900a but I wanted a 65" so I am thinking about waiting at this point.
post #1259 of 4329
Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_ice View Post

its the light they have choosen in the test not the "peak" light smile.gif
im sure you understand.
117cd/m2 is what Plasma TVs can deliver at max(with good blacklevel) but its nothing for this tv.

i have not measured the peak white but i can do it.
i think its around 300cd/m2

Yes if you re-read my post it states "calibrated" peak.
post #1260 of 4329
Hi! I was playing the FIFA 14 demo on my new W905, and I have the feeling that sometimes accelerates image without reason. I'm using the game mode, and I have active LED dynamic control set on low, the rest default. Somebody? Detected something similar?

thanks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread