or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread - Page 55

post #1621 of 4324
I could be wrong but isn't ARC a 1.4a feature of HDMI? Also all you new W9 owners go to your Ecco settings and make sure you have the light sensor off for best PQ.
post #1622 of 4324
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBook Pro View Post

How do you have the panel set up for gaming? The washing out is definitely going to take getting used to. Beautiful beautiful colors but coming from plasma, talk about shock!

I am chomping at the bit for ps4 and Battlefield 4 to come out.

I find my panel is very very gray at times and I wonder if there are some pro features or settings on the tv or ps3 I'm missing that can mitigate some of the backlight issues

Unfortunately thats just the difference between plasma and LCD. You trade black level for a brighter picture.
post #1623 of 4324
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelArt View Post

I've owned both and the major difference is the blacks to me. The W905A is the best option when it comes to low input delay, big screen gaming and great picture quality.


In short for anything gaming related above 30" the W805A has the lowest input lag you can find. But the blacks are really poor and in my opinion not acceptable. While the W905A has a slight worse input lag, the blacks are REALLY good. And the difference in input lag between these two sets are so slight I would almost call it unnoticeable. 


I first bought the W805A (EU version of W802A) because I'm a serious fighting gamer and had read about it's incredible low input-lag and also wanted a bigger screen. I was tired of the lesser picture quality of my trusted old ASUS VW246H gaming monitor, which has an input lag of only 2.5~3 ms measured with my Leod Bodnar lag tester device (To clarify the values. One frame being drawn from top to bottom starts at a lag of 2.5 ms (top) and finishes at 19~20 ms (bottom ). As a reference, a perfect zero-lag display would start at 0 ms at the top and finish at 16.666 ms at the bottom). I didn't own the lag tester when I had the W805A but could tell it was near perfect experience. I know it's not as good as my gaming monitor but damn near, I could do my all my hard combos and react to fast attacks without fail.

Then I watched a couple of movies, especially dark ones and the blacks left me wanting. It was so bad for me I went back to the store and upgraded to the W905A instead. While the input lag is a tiny bit more noticeable, especially compared to my gaming monitor it's still completely acceptable in all types of games when you consider the superior blacks and screen size.


For all interested my W905A meassures (in game mode)
Top 17.3 ms
Bottom 21~22 ms

and ASUS VW246H (standard mode)
Top  2.5~3 ms 
Bottom 19~20 ms

The interesting part here is that the TV waits for the entire frame to be received before starting to draw it but finished quickly. While the monitor starts to draw the image almost the instant the first part of the frame is received. Maybe and this is just my speculation that this has to do with the TV's image processing such as color correction, gamma/contrast and sharpening being done on the entire image before drawing.

Can't tell you how much I appreciate how in-depth you went with this post man. My decision is clearly made for me now I am going with the W900. I just wish I could get it for less than 2K - DAMN YOU SONY! Still it sounds like a awesome set that will last me a long long time.
post #1624 of 4324
Does w900a support dts?
My eu model w905a downsampling dts audio to dolby pro logic II. frown.gif
post #1625 of 4324
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post

I could be wrong but isn't ARC a 1.4a feature of HDMI? Also all you new W9 owners go to your Ecco settings and make sure you have the light sensor off for best PQ.

 

The TV has it, my receiver has it, it sorta works, it just seems like it's slow.  I don't know if it's not working right or if that's just how it is with ARC.  The onkyo also has RHID so it allows the ARC to control its volume level from the TV remote.  This is the part that seems slow and laggy.

 

I tried with the light sensor off but it seemed like it was 5x brighter, and way too bright.  I had to turn my brightness down to like 30% and it was still brighter than it was before.

post #1626 of 4324
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnbarg View Post

Where do you set "Cinema 1" - I can find Cinema, but not Cinema 1 (ie vs Cinema 2)

I've wondering this too. I see "Cinema" but not "Cinema 1"

I've just came to a conclusion that Cinema = Cinema 1.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. rolleyes.gif
post #1627 of 4324
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBook Pro View Post

I just did this exact thing except I even got rid of a far newer plasma, the F8500.

I just got done playing GTA V on this only moments ago and hopped on to write my impressions after 2 days. Holy cow! this thing has some amazing pop. Everything you just said about fishtailing and lag is spot on. I felt like I had great driving reflexes etc. I'm very excited to see what this thing can do with Battlefield 4 on my new PS4.

If only I could get the backlighting to behave a little more. It's by far the trickiest TV I've had to calibrate and I still have a lot to learn. I'm very glad I left plasma behind, once and for all.
Hey Dan, thanks for the impressions. I find your experience with GTA V troublesome though as the F8500 has been my target for awhile now. Like many, I'm trying to decide on an upgrade over my current TV in preparation for next gen. gaming. I just cannot find an acceptable TV. Against my better judgement and desire to buy the f8500, I thought I would save some money and get the Samsung F7100. It had pretty unacceptable banding and I wasn't impressed with the PQ. If the 900 came in 65 inches my search would be over. How would you compare the picture quality between the two sets? Did you try the PC naming trick with the Samsung and if so, was it pretty much unplayable? I'm not the world's most competitive online player but I don't want to be severely handicapped by lag. Why in the world did Sony decide not to make this TV available in larger sizes!
post #1628 of 4324
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigkahuna1 View Post

Hey Dan, thanks for the impressions. I find your experience with GTA V troublesome though as the F8500 has been my target for awhile now. Like many, I'm trying to decide on an upgrade over my current TV in preparation for next gen. gaming. I just cannot find an acceptable TV. Against my better judgement and desire to buy the f8500, I thought I would save some money and get the Samsung F7100. It had pretty unacceptable banding and I wasn't impressed with the PQ. If the 900 came in 65 inches my search would be over. How would you compare the picture quality between the two sets? Did you try the PC naming trick with the Samsung and if so, was it pretty much unplayable? I'm not the world's most competitive online player but I don't want to be severely handicapped by lag. Why in the world did Sony decide not to make this TV available in larger sizes!

Games are certainly playable in PC mode on the f8500. The tv doesn't excel at gaming, however.

I won't lie and say I don't miss those rich deep blacks but the motion processing or trailing on that samsung (and from what I can see EVERY Samsung!) just doesn't cut it. For some absurd reason the f8500 had all kinda of jarring and stuttering. The cinema mode looked awful, etc. to me it just wasn't good enough at delivering the home theater goods as other TVs I've owned in the past. It's a technically and in many ways beautiful set, there are few who could find fault with it. I'm of the mind that if you're going to sacrifice gaming performance for rich cinema, then you shouldn't be getting stuttery cinema.

F8500 PC MODE will only take you so far and you lose virtually all of your picture settings to do it, and for what? 60-65ms?
And then there was the persistent threat of burn in. My f8500 has crazy amounts of IR which I'm already overly sensitive to due to a warranty swap last year.

At the end of the day, The problem is that I didn't feel the tv would endure what will, for all intents and purposes, be a gaming orgy next month. All that work stripping out the finer picture settings (mostly gimmicks but still, you can't even adjust color saturation in game mode!) I'll never regret ditching the plasma. Battlefield 4 surely would have tortured that panel. I'm confident in my w900.

Ive been reacclimating to Sony lcdS after a 5 year hiatus. And I'll probably never get over the alarming difference in sharpness and color compared to the f8500. I look forward to rich colors and responsive and immersive gaming on nov 15.

Feel free to reply or PM me for further details. Time to go punch people down at Vespucci Beach!
post #1629 of 4324

As far as blacks go, I tried some settings I found on cnet with a google search, as follows.

 

Picture Mode Cinema 1
Backlight 4
Picture 87
Brightness 50
Color 50
Hue 0
Color Temperature Warm 2
Sharpness 50
Noise Reduction Off
MPEG Noise Reduction Off
Dot Noise Reduction Off
Reality Creation Off 
Video Area Detection Off [greyed out]
Resolution Min [greyed out]
Noise Filtering Min [greyed out]
Smooth Gradation Off
Motionflow Off
CineMotion Auto

Advanced Settings sub menu
Black Corrector Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer Medium
Gamma -2
LED Dynamic Control Standard
Auto Light Limiter Off
Clear White Off
Live Color Off
White Balance [see below]
Detail Enhancer Off
Edge Enhancer Off
Skin Naturalizer Off [greyed out]
Display Speed Preference Off [greyed out]

White Balance sub-menu
R-Gain 0
G-Gain -3
B-Gain -6
R-Bias 0
G-Bias 0
B-Bias +1

Preferences->Scene Select: Cinema

--Eco sub-menu
Power Saving: Off
Scene Select Sync Off

 

I made some changes to this though because I found this still too bright and washed out at times.  I took the advice of turning off the auto light sensor in preferences, of course this requires dropping the brightness further.  Right now I have my brightness at 40 with the light sensor off and these settings and I like it a lot.  It seems to be minimizing the off angle shine effect I was seeing from the edges.  Blacks look really good and dark.  I was just flipping around through pacific rim and it was looking amazing, the colors just really pop and it's a colorful movie.

 

Also, I turned the black corrector to low rather than off.

 

This is for a pure movie watching dim lighting black level optimized experience and it's the setting I'm happiest with so far.

post #1630 of 4324
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigkahuna1 View Post

If the 900 came in 65 inches my search would be over. How would you compare the picture quality between the two sets?

Mentioned in the 850 thread - I saw Sony's W850a 65" and W900a 55" side-by-side today at Best Buy, and the comparison of colors and blacks was very favorable, except the 850's floor model had some dimming on the left and right edges. I don't know if this is flaw is only in that floor model or if it's with all 850s, but you might want to head to Best Buy if one is in your area and take a look yourself.
post #1631 of 4324
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Mentioned in the 850 thread - I saw Sony's W850a 65" and W900a 55" side-by-side today at Best Buy, and the comparison of colors and blacks was very favorable, except the 850's floor model had some dimming on the left and right edges. I don't know if this is flaw is only in that floor model or if it's with all 850s, but you might want to head to Best Buy if one is in your area and take a look yourself.

It's a fools errand to try and compare TVs on a Best Buy show floor. The TVs are far brighter than you would ever need in a living room. The content is also junk Best Buy serves up to sell TVs. Better in a Magnolia room, but still not idea.

Based on specs, both TVs would likely produce the same picture in dim or dark lighting wherea the 850a would not be nearly as good during the day. ie more reflections.

The 120 vs 240 panel and motion compensation possibly, but probably not a factor. For me personally, a 65" TV is too large at 9 ft, but that's just me.
post #1632 of 4324
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingLemur View Post

As far as blacks go, I tried some settings I found on cnet with a google search, as follows.

Picture Mode Cinema 1
Backlight 4
Picture 87
Brightness 50
Color 50
Hue 0
Color Temperature Warm 2
Sharpness 50
Noise Reduction Off
MPEG Noise Reduction Off
Dot Noise Reduction Off
Reality Creation Off 
Video Area Detection Off [greyed out]
Resolution Min [greyed out]
Noise Filtering Min [greyed out]
Smooth Gradation Off
Motionflow Off
CineMotion Auto

Advanced Settings sub menu
Black Corrector Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer Medium
Gamma -2
LED Dynamic Control Standard
Auto Light Limiter Off
Clear White Off
Live Color Off
White Balance [see below]
Detail Enhancer Off
Edge Enhancer Off
Skin Naturalizer Off [greyed out]
Display Speed Preference Off [greyed out]

White Balance sub-menu
R-Gain 0
G-Gain -3
B-Gain -6
R-Bias 0
G-Bias 0
B-Bias +1

Preferences->Scene Select: Cinema

--Eco sub-menu
Power Saving: Off
Scene Select Sync Off

I made some changes to this though because I found this still too bright and washed out at times.  I took the advice of turning off the auto light sensor in preferences, of course this requires dropping the brightness further.  Right now I have my brightness at 40 with the light sensor off and these settings and I like it a lot.  It seems to be minimizing the off angle shine effect I was seeing from the edges.  Blacks look really good and dark.  I was just flipping around through pacific rim and it was looking amazing, the colors just really pop and it's a colorful movie.

Also, I turned the black corrector to low rather than off.

This is for a pure movie watching dim lighting black level optimized experience and it's the setting I'm happiest with so far.

It ceases to amaze me that CNET and other reviewers turn off almost every imaginable setting the manufacturer developed to improve the TV when they calibrate it. I get where the soap opera effect is undesirable, but turning off so many picture enhancements seems odd.
post #1633 of 4324
Hey guys. Nice work in this thread. I've read through the first (46) pages, and had a question with the HDMI inputs. I know how they work, but was wondering if using input 1,2,3, or 4 really matters with the Xbox 360, PS3 and Directv? I know on my Vizio set that I replaced with this Sony set, they suggested using HDMI 2 for the Xbox. I realize that I could unhook my set from the wall and do each one to see if there's any difference, but I'd thought to check with you guys to see if the inputs in any order really matter. Thanks.
post #1634 of 4324
Does the W900 or W850 have CMS?
post #1635 of 4324
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnbarg View Post


It ceases to amaze me that CNET and other reviewers turn off almost every imaginable setting the manufacturer developed to improve the TV when they calibrate it. I get where the soap opera effect is undesirable, but turning off so many picture enhancements seems odd.
 
Really the majority of that stuff was already off in cinema mode by default to be honest.
post #1636 of 4324
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBook Pro View Post

Games are certainly playable in PC mode on the f8500. The tv doesn't excel at gaming, however.

Ive been reacclimating to Sony lcdS after a 5 year hiatus. And I'll probably never get over the alarming difference in sharpness and color compared to the f8500. I look forward to rich colors and responsive and immersive gaming on nov 15.
Dan, when you reference the difference between sharpness and color, are you saying the 900 has better color and sharpness? Thanks again!
post #1637 of 4324
I currently own a 46" XBR, KDL-46XBR5 and am thinking of upgrading to the 55W900A. Anyone own an older flat panel LCD XBR and what are your thoughts on comparison of picture quality?
post #1638 of 4324
Recently did a software update, my KDL55W900A is now on version PKG3.803GAA and the improvements over earlier version is the performance and stability of the Internet TV features.

This software is only for use with the products identified and sold in Australia, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Middle East & Africa, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore, South Africa, Thailand, Vietnam, Hong Kong or Taiwan.

I'm still loving this TV and have tried many settings to get the picture to how I like it.
I did have an issue when I went to the YouTube app, it wanted to update the TVsoftware but it would stay at 0%, so a factory reset and update resolved that.
post #1639 of 4324
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobble9 View Post

Hey Velimir!

Do these "vertical lines" you talk about appear all over the screen? Do they look like "shadowed" blotches and do they make the screen appear "dirty"? If so, this may be DSE (dirty screen effect) or banding. Let me know!

Hi there, three months later with my W46905 and I'm back to see if there is anything new on the problem...

So...the lines. Been playing a lot of GTA 5 lately, Beyond: Two Souls, Rayman Legends,... and I can confirm, these lines are inevitable, present on 20 - 40% of all the dark scenes when picture is "moving from left to right or right to left". I'll try to describe them as "vertical blocks", 3-4 cm wide, which occupy the whole screen from top to bottom. Let's say I'm driving a car in GTA 5 at dawn or night, and going straight - no lines, no "blocks" on screen. But as soon as I turn left or right in a car, and my eyes are still looking at the same spot at the centre of the screen, those "vertical blocks" apear. Tried all the settings, resetting, changing modes, scenes, nope. It's the limitation of edge LED technology I guess? Maybe there is a term to use for those lines or blocks at this LED technnology confused.gif I would just like to know if you guys, other gamers also see them while playing? They are also present while watching movies, but are rarely noticeable. I made a picture in paint to quickly visualize the problem as I see it. biggrin.gif

post #1640 of 4324
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnbarg View Post

It ceases to amaze me that CNET and other reviewers turn off almost every imaginable setting the manufacturer developed to improve the TV when they calibrate it. I get where the soap opera effect is undesirable, but turning off so many picture enhancements seems odd.
As someone pointed out, they're off by default on "cinema" modes usually since all they do is try to artificially enhance source detail. All they do is create artifacts and reduce natural detail in some cases.
post #1641 of 4324
Velimir, I've had my W9 since June, have been gaming and watching movies and never noticed any lines. If it's that bad you might want to call Sony and have it looked at.
post #1642 of 4324
I just picked this up tonight and it's definitely amazing. But I'm trying to connect it to the Sony Entertainment Network and can't find the activation code on the tv. Does anybody know how or where I can find this?
post #1643 of 4324
Can anyone post their settings for a bright room? My room is pretty bright and I would just like to test out other people's settings compared to mine.

I have two windows (about 4ft x 4ft) to the right (me facing the TV) of my TV. I have the blinds semi open almost all the time (I can close them, however).
post #1644 of 4324
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartwater View Post

I currently own a 46" XBR, KDL-46XBR5 and am thinking of upgrading to the 55W900A. Anyone own an older flat panel LCD XBR and what are your thoughts on comparison of picture quality?

I have the 52" XBR5 and the W900. The matte screen on the XBR5 is clearly superior during the day wheres the W900 has significant reflections. The W900 is clearly in a different class w/the Triluminous colors and other enhancements. We're talking about 5 years difference in technology.
post #1645 of 4324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driice View Post

Can anyone post their settings for a bright room? My room is pretty bright and I would just like to test out other people's settings compared to mine.

I have two windows (about 4ft x 4ft) to the right (me facing the TV) of my TV. I have the blinds semi open almost all the time (I can close them, however).

The conventional wisdom is to turn the backlight as high as it can go. I better idea is to get some window treatments which block out all the light.
post #1646 of 4324
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnbarg View Post

The conventional wisdom is to turn the backlight as high as it can go. I better idea is to get some window treatments which block out all the light.

I currently have mine set at 6. I used to have it at 7, but didn't want it too bright.
post #1647 of 4324
Does anyone know if we can set our tvs to turn on at a certain time and channel?
post #1648 of 4324
I started looking at the Samsung sets and then convinced myself the Sony 900a is the way to go. Maybe we will get a price drop near Thanksgiving. How is the sound on this set or should I purchase a sound bar at the same time.
post #1649 of 4324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driice View Post

I currently have mine set at 6. I used to have it at 7, but didn't want it too bright.

I'm talking about daylight viewing only. Apparently the backlight offsets the reflections.
post #1650 of 4324
I noticed that's Sonys new Blu Ray releases After Earth and This is the End are but mastered in 4K and offer extended color gamut (x.v. Color). I want to rent both to see if there is a difference watching them on the W9. Heads up to all of you if you want to do the same. Anyway if Sony is moving toward this as a basic feature for movies could xvColor apply to PS4 games?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread