or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread - Page 90

post #2671 of 4318
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post

Wow, Vizio 4K TVs w/ full array (!) are starting at 999.99 for a 50 inch. Im very interested to see how the PQ compares w/ the Sonys.
http://ces.vizio.com

10 bit color would be a step backwards from the W900a's 12 bit color. It'll be interesting to see if the input lag is below 30 on the Vizio.
post #2672 of 4318
@Zinkeh - If it was me, I would go for the W900A now and upgrade the audio later as funds permit. Good audio means nothing if the video is lousy!
post #2673 of 4318
I notice that this tv has Active 3D. What is the difference between that and Passive? Is one consider superior to the other?
post #2674 of 4318

Hello everybody! And sorry for my bad english:) I had a problem , trying to understand it myself for almost a week and this is what came , I hope for your help. There is a router RT-AC68U TV and Sony Bravia KDL-55W905a. To my router connected drive usb 3.0. Movies recorded on it and they are transmitted via DLNA to TV . The TV is connected to the router via a wire and the problem occurs only when connecting TV to the router by wire , if you connect by wifi then this error is not! DLNA works well see perfectly but when watching movies or sometimes when I'm in my DLNA menu on TV, always differently, any moments of the film , but very rarely happens that for the film there are no errors , the error appears on the TV that "Unable to access the server " and the video is jerky , then I can immediately go to DLNA again and continue watching from beginig  , the router does not restart, working steadily thereafter. Try to  watch movie with DLNA router from 3 devices at one time. Launched the movie on TV, computer and on the phone when the error occurred on the TV, on the computer and on the phone who played the same movie with the same DLNA continued his play without any errors . Try to run DLNA  on the computer ( he also connected by wire to the router ) put on PC program and launched on HMS tv movie with DLNA which the computer is exactly the same error . Today I decided to connect TV by wire directly to my computer and start the movie by the same HMS and finally that there is no error. Hope for your HELP! 

post #2675 of 4318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar-Vell View Post

I notice that this tv has Active 3D. What is the difference between that and Passive? Is one consider superior to the other?


Active 3D you are getting a 540/540 flicker in each lens so that you see the full 1080 resolution with each eye. The picture also isn't as bright either. Glasses are shutter style and need batteries of recharged to use and they cost a lot.

Passive 3D is the same thing you get at the movie theaters in Real 3D, while you get only 540 in each lens for a 1080 effect, but the picture is much brighter, and the glasses a dirt cheap, and you can use the ones you get at the theater

IMO, I prefer Passive over active any day. biggrin.gif
Edited by CaptinCrunch - 1/9/14 at 10:00am
post #2676 of 4318
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post

Active 3D you are getting a 540/540 flicker in each lens so that you see the full 1080 resolution with each eye. The picture also isn't as bright either. Glasses are shutter style and need batteries of recharged to use and they cost a lot.

Passive 3D is the same thing you get at the movie theaters in Real 3D, while you get only 540 in each lens for a 1080 effect, but the picture is much brighter, and the glasses a dirt cheap, and you can use the ones you get at the theater

IMO, I prefer Passive over active any day. biggrin.gif

I saw Pacific Rim in (3D) the theater but for some reason i enjoyed it even more watching it in 3D on my W9.
Its a stunning BluRay conversion, definitely reference quality.
post #2677 of 4318
I received the 55W900 as a replacement for my defective 55HX850 yesterday. Only played with it for a few hours but so far I'm not as impressed with the W900 as I was with the HX850. Then again it took me quite some time before I got the HX850 to where I wanted it. Maybe time and many picture adjustments will change my mind.

Sony was going to send me a refurbished HX850 to replace my defective unit. But they said they didn't have any available. So they sent me a new W900. Well it took Sony almost a month to send me the set. They kept saying the delay was at the warehouse and they were waiting on packing material. I'm just happy to have a working tv at this point. I hope I can dial in the picture on the W900 like I had on the HX850.

Do you guys think HX850 or the W900 is a better TV?
post #2678 of 4318
Quote:
Originally Posted by rege1111 View Post

I received the 55W900 as a replacement for my defective 55HX850 yesterday. Only played with it for a few hours but so far I'm not as impressed with the W900 as I was with the HX850. Then again it took me quite some time before I got the HX850 to where I wanted it. Maybe time and many picture adjustments will change my mind.

Sony was going to send me a refurbished HX850 to replace my defective unit. But they said they didn't have any available. So they sent me a new W900. Well it took Sony almost a month to send me the set. They kept saying the delay was at the warehouse and they were waiting on packing material. I'm just happy to have a working tv at this point. I hope I can dial in the picture on the W900 like I had on the HX850.

Do you guys think HX850 or the W900 is a better TV?

Its cool you finally got your W900 and I hope you have better luck with it then you did with your HX850. That being said you asked which one was better. Well in my opinion the HX850 is better. It has the looks and it has style and that might be because of the Gorilla Glass/Monolithic Design which I love. Second I think the overall PQ is just better and I am sorry but the Triluminous thing that the W900 has don't make that big of a difference in colors, not to my eye anyway. Either way though both TV's are very good and you cant go wrong with either one but again for me I would take the HX850 over the W900 any day of the week. But that's just me and my opinion.
post #2679 of 4318
Thanks to those who responded, I guess I'll just be happy with the set as it is, this is the second one already as the first had a dead green subpixel. I don't have any banding across the screen or a dark center, so I should probably quit while I am ahead.
post #2680 of 4318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyan2004 View Post

Thanks to those who responded, I guess I'll just be happy with the set as it is, this is the second one already as the first had a dead green subpixel. I don't have any banding across the screen or a dark center, so I should probably quit while I am ahead.

Yeah the HX850 is a Full Array backlit panel which i would much prefer over the edgelit W900. That being said i still love my W900.
post #2681 of 4318
Quote:
Originally Posted by torana355 View Post

Yeah the HX850 is a Full Array backlit panel which i would much prefer over the edgelit W900. That being said i still love my W900.
The HX8 is not full array, it is also edgelit. It's only the HX9 which has full array.
post #2682 of 4318

I'm seriously considering getting the W900A.  Is this a good time to buy, or should I wait to see if the price drops after all the news from CES 2014?

 

Would it just be better to wait and get a 2014 model HDTV instead?  The 4K isn't something that appeals to me really, and OLED is too expensive still.  Will new models from Sony be a big improvement over 2013, or should I be fine going with the W900A?  Then you mix in rumors of LED LCD's being better than plasma sets this year, and I just don't know anymore haha.  I guess you just have to make a decision eventually.

 

Thanks!


Edited by EagerLearner - 1/10/14 at 1:00am
post #2683 of 4318
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagerLearner View Post

I'm seriously considering getting the W900A.  Is this a good time to buy, or should I wait to see if the price drops after all the news from CES 2014?

Would it just be better to wait and get a 2014 model HDTV instead?  The 4K isn't something that appeals to me really, and OLED is too expensive still.  Will new models from Sony be a big improvement over 2013, or should I be fine going with the W900A?  Then you mix in rumors of LED LCD's being better than plasma sets this year, and I just don't know anymore haha.  I guess you just have to make a decision eventually.

Thanks!

The w900a is an excellent set as far as LCD's go. The 1080p models of 2014 from Sony are actually a downgrade from the w900a. The price could drop, or they will just sell out. It is really just a gamble.
post #2684 of 4318
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post


The w900a is an excellent set as far as LCD's go. The 1080p models of 2014 from Sony are actually a downgrade from the w900a. The price could drop, or they will just sell out. It is really just a gamble.


Ah, alright.  I don't want to pay more than $1,200...so if the price doesn't drop I'll probably settle with the W802A.  I just heard the picture quality is considerably better on the W900A, so it caught my interest.

post #2685 of 4318
No dark center? Awesome. Could you post pics of a white/gray background?

I'd like a reference point in case the replacement set I"m receiving isn't good.
post #2686 of 4318
I got my replacement from Amazon a week ago but have not posted about it yet. I'll need to get some pics. I think it also has a dark line that is visible in vertical panning scenes, which is what I returned the first for. This one is just lower. I'd just settle though.

However, there may be an additional problem. On black screens, including the "HDMI 1" display with no signal, you can see a splotch that is extra bright, in the middle of the upper left quadrant of the screen.
post #2687 of 4318
Quote:
Originally Posted by torana355 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyan2004 View Post

Thanks to those who responded, I guess I'll just be happy with the set as it is, this is the second one already as the first had a dead green subpixel. I don't have any banding across the screen or a dark center, so I should probably quit while I am ahead.

Yeah the HX850 is a Full Array backlit panel which i would much prefer over the edgelit W900. That being said i still love my W900.


The HX850 was edge lit with local dimming and not full array LED. The HX950 was the only full array set for 2012 from Sony.
post #2688 of 4318
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicofchrist View Post

No dark center? Awesome. Could you post pics of a white/gray background?

I'd like a reference point in case the replacement set I"m receiving isn't good.

I'll try to get something useful for you over the weekend. Trying to get a natural looking shot of a TV can be tricky (if you change the exposure you can either make it hard to see what it really looks like...or make any variation more dramatic than it really appears..)

Overall the TV hasn't tried to set my Xbox One on fire either as far as I can tell. Sony sure does update the firmware frequently, which is a good thing that they are actively supporting it, at least for now. I also really like that setting it to game mode is pretty easy...easy enough for me to make a sequence for it in my Harmony control. The low input lag and good picture quality were key features for me.
post #2689 of 4318
Sony gave me a recertified unit to replace my old 55W900A.

Should I be concerned?
Edited by Garnett215 - 1/10/14 at 9:56am
post #2690 of 4318
Quote:
Originally Posted by rege1111 View Post

I received the 55W900 as a replacement for my defective 55HX850 yesterday. Only played with it for a few hours but so far I'm not as impressed with the W900 as I was with the HX850. Then again it took me quite some time before I got the HX850 to where I wanted it. Maybe time and many picture adjustments will change my mind.

Sony was going to send me a refurbished HX850 to replace my defective unit. But they said they didn't have any available. So they sent me a new W900. Well it took Sony almost a month to send me the set. They kept saying the delay was at the warehouse and they were waiting on packing material. I'm just happy to have a working tv at this point. I hope I can dial in the picture on the W900 like I had on the HX850.

Do you guys think HX850 or the W900 is a better TV?

I had the same initial impression as you, but I posted in the HX850 thread about my thoughts after dialing in the W9. You do lose a little black level, but gain brighter colors and a bit more pop, and more consistent black levels, in my opinion. The biggest change came when I realized that the light sensor was on by default. On, the set looked dull and lifeless. Off? Now we're talking!
post #2691 of 4318
Good job, turn off your light sensor. I cant believe that is set to on by default, the average person will never know how to turn that off and wonder why their picture is dim.
post #2692 of 4318

I'm getting the same - a recertified unit. I'm actually excited. I'm HOPING that if/since the QA for these sets is low and units are shipped out with uniformity issues, the ones Sony has taken another look at will be in better condition. 

 

That's what I'm hoping anyways. If not, we get a 2 year warranty and from what I seen, they generally take care of you. 

post #2693 of 4318
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicofchrist View Post

I'm getting the same - a recertified unit. I'm actually excited. I'm HOPING that if/since the QA for these sets is low and units are shipped out with uniformity issues, the ones Sony has taken another look at will be in better condition. 

That's what I'm hoping anyways. If not, we get a 2 year warranty and from what I seen, they generally take care of you. 

My re-cert still has that slight horizontal band, I guess there's no escaping that?

On the bright side, it's less cloudy... My old units bezel wasn't glued correctly. On the bottom right hand side, there was about six inches across that wasn't glued to the screen. If you stood in front of the tv and looked down you could see the light flashing through, I'm thankful that the only issue so far is the horizontal banding. I'll be running it through the gauntlet to make sure nothing else catches me by surprise.
post #2694 of 4318
SonyLEDProblemPicture.jpg 1898k .jpg file

Had this issue today on my W900A. Nice pink vertical line down the screen. Apparently I need a replacement TV, so should be fun going through the process. The picture had been great for a month, but recently had constant problems getting my Sony sound bar to connect properly VIA HDMI, and now this. Not overly impressed
post #2695 of 4318
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvervulcan View Post

SonyLEDProblemPicture.jpg 1898k .jpg file

Had this issue today on my W900A. Nice pink vertical line down the screen. Apparently I need a replacement TV, so should be fun going through the process. The picture had been great for a month, but recently had constant problems getting my Sony sound bar to connect properly VIA HDMI, and now this. Not overly impressed

Ugh, yeah, that is a total panel failure there.
post #2696 of 4318
tvgray.jpg 465k .jpg file

ok, here is a pic of my TV with about a 66% gray background just to give you an idea of the uniformity of my set.. obviously the three bright ovals are can lights reflecting off the panel ;-)

dunno if this is good, average, or if there is a problem.
post #2697 of 4318
UFO do you still have your leo lag tester?

Could I ask a favour?

I know you have already said that only local dimming on low or standard affects input lag and only by approximately 2ms but I'm pretty sure, judging by the feel of the controls that turning on live colour does indeed increase the lag. With it set at low the controls do feel a little more sluggish compared to having it off.

Is they any chance you could measure the lag again in graphics and game mode with live colour on and off?

It would be much appreciated.
post #2698 of 4318

@ Keyan, if I get a set that looks like that, I am GOOD TO GO (for life, maybe).

 

The dark edges don't bother me and actually are pretty much a non-issue.  That looks awesome. 


Please hope for me that my set looks at least that good! 
 

Thanks for posting pics by the way!

post #2699 of 4318

Can I ask everyone a question?  

After witnessing COUNTLESS uniformity problems in various high-end sets, I've begun to wonder something.  I may be COMPLETELY off-base, but I want you guys' opinions. 

 

This is based in part b/c the last w900a set I had (open-box unit, hassle with Magnolia, later exchanged for a brand new one) didn't have the middle darkness I've seen on alot of panels posted here. 

 

Could it be that this (and many other uniformity problems) are caused by the pressure applied by the stand/base?  With Keyan not having the issue at all it appears, I noticed that he has the TV mounted, which I'm guessing would more evenly distribute the weight/pull on the TV. 


And yes, the open-box W900A set (first) was sold to me with the wrong stand and I had to lean it against a wall until a new unit was shipped to me.  So there was never any stand or base applied to the set. Hmmmm...

 

What does everyone think?  I have half a mind to take my set off the stand and see if the issue is still there (although it may have been "broken in" by now...). 

post #2700 of 4318
Good to know that mine seems to be good.

I hope you get a good one!

To your other point, mine has never been on the stand at all, i put the mounting brackets on it with just the top part of the box off and then immediately put it on the wall. It would be very interesting if there is a design flaw in the base that causes it. I am just using a monoprice tilt/swivel mount.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread