or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread - Page 117

post #3481 of 4333
Except for the 2nd TV where he mother board and then panel went, it's been a color setting issue. I never used a calibration disc, shouldn't have to. Could never get rid of the brown/orange issue on faces and most Comcast movie channels. Blu-Ray was not too bad but I watch TV for about 6-7 hours a day. Discovery, Smithsonian, Animal planet, etc. These need good color and contrast to enjoy. Not getting the 4th TV for about a week or so. last night I played around with settings and got it to about a 7 on a scale of 1-10.

These are the settings I'm using

screen select Auto
Blacklight 7
Picture 93
Brightness 53
Color4 53
Hue 0
Color temp Neutral
Sharpness 57
Noise off
MPEG noise off
Dot noise off
reality Auto greyed out area is 60/min
Smooth gradation low
Motion Flow Standard
CineMotion Auto
Advanced settings
Black corrector low
ADV contrast corrector Med
Gamma +1
Autolight limiter Med
Clear white off
Live color low
R-gain 0
G-gain -3
B-gain -6
R-bias -0
G-bias -2
B-bias 0

Detail enhancer low
Edge enhancer Low
Skin Neutralizer Off
Display is on Full pixel

Any help would be appreciated. How easy is it to run the Disney WOW calibration disk

Would appreciate any help from the forum.

I tried cinema settings but they were worse, especially when you want to watch sports.

When you call SONY tech support all they do is have you reboot the TV which does nothing. It seems that they have no clue or don't want to help with settings. Take the easy way out and send out new TV, which is as pain.
post #3482 of 4333
I pulled trigger on this for 1634 but I am worried its going to be too small and I should have bought the 850a
post #3483 of 4333
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC7727 View Post

I pulled trigger on this for 1634 but I am worried its going to be too small and I should have bought the 850a

How far away are you from the Panel?
post #3484 of 4333
I'm about 10' from the front of the TV which is wall mounted
post #3485 of 4333
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC7727 View Post

I pulled trigger on this for 1634 but I am worried its going to be too small and I should have bought the 850a

I sit about 8' from the TV, and PQ trumps size with this set. Right out of the box my wife (who didn't do any research with me, or go to the store to see the set), was already commenting on how nice the PQ was. I watched a few shows with her before ever tinkering with settings, and I have to say I'm glad I went w900 instead of a 60" 8000 Samsung.

post #3486 of 4333
Based on the info and the response from last nite, I pulled the trigger a couple hours ago. WOW. Definitely something setup funky in store, I'm playing with the settings but just the std pic settings are eye popping.

Thank you all, I definitely see the POP!!!!
Edited by matmanvt - 2/22/14 at 12:28pm
post #3487 of 4333

So I need some quick advice from anyone who can answer. 

 

I'm on my fifth set of this TV. The first four were from Amazon and all had some kind of uniformity issues or light bleeding/ clouding issues. 

 

The latest one I've gotten was from Best Buy and definitely had the best PQ out of all of them. However, when I'm watching my DirecTV broadcast, and I have their subtitles turned on, I can still definitely see some clouding at the bottom of the screen during a dark scene. DirecTV has those gaudy orange subtitles, and whenever they come up during a dark scene the lower part of the screen gets a little brighter every time they appear, and then gets dark again when they disappear.

 

So today is my last day for Best Buy's 14 day return policy, and I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem and if it's just something that can't be avoided because of the edge lighting, or if there are people out there that have gotten a set with absolutely zero clouding 100% of the time. 

 

Thanks in advance for any info you can offer :)

post #3488 of 4333
Does anyone know where the Eco Sensor is located on the TV? I've been experimenting a little with the backlight settings, and I sort of like the idea of the screen dimming slightly when the ambient lighting in the room decreases as it will improve black levels significantly, and will also make bright scenes less glaring (even with bias lighting, they are still super bright). I am wondering if maybe my bias lighting is interfering with the eco sensor, but I turned off the bias lighting to test, but it didn't look like the screen dimmed at all.

So does anyone know where the sensor is located? Or are there some other power settings I need to enable other than Eco Sensor to utilize the feature properly?
post #3489 of 4333
I don't know if I have "absolutely zero clouding 100% of the time", but the 55W900A I purchased from Amazon, after getting the $1599 J&R price match, exhibits excellent uniformity with no apparent clouding, banding, or corner flashing lighting unlike the 46HX850 that I still have and enjoy. So they're are good ones out there and those that aren't are the exception imo. If it were me, I would return it for another no question.
post #3490 of 4333
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevez1 View Post

I'm about 10' from the front of the TV which is wall mounted

Well, you are right on the threshold where you could get a 55", 60". or 65" and be happy. I'm with bkral on this where quality of the W900A trumps size. But only you and your family can make this decision. Go to the store and stand back 10' and check the displays. Not the best test, but it will give you an idea. I wish Sony would of made of W850A exactly like the W900A but it doesn't have the deep black panel or the 240" refresh rate. Still, others are reporting that they are very happy with it. One other option is the Sony S990A which is a 65" curved panel, better sound and the deep black panel. It doesn't have the 240" refresh rate like W900A. The panel is flat on the backside so it can be wall mounted. These sets are selling for $2,999.
Edited by bigwali - 2/22/14 at 3:11pm
post #3491 of 4333
Set up son's W900A and Oppo 103 today. That tv has a great picture right out of the box, Changed settings to C-Net test ones then used Disney WOW blue ray to tweak. If they made a 70" I would have gone and bought one today. I may still buy one of these for my beach home.
post #3492 of 4333
I went up to BB today to show the wife what we are getting from Sony next week and she couldn't believe how beautiful the PQ looked on the W9. And I told her just wait and see when we get it and its calibrated. She hasn't seen nothing yet! I cant freakin wait!smile.gif
post #3493 of 4333
The previous 900A that I had was great before the motherboard went, same 10' distance.. Everything was crisp and sharp, my wife was amazed even TV shows like Law and Order was outstanding. I just think that I got stuck with another lemon. Sony said that this replacement TV that they sent was new, not reconditioned, manufactured in Mexico Jan 2014. I questioned it because there was dust on the back casing. Who knows. I'm beginning to believe that maybe my HDMI cable is shot and I should by a high end cable. Hate spending $30-40 for a cable. Any idea what the Disney WOW disc costs?

Thanks
Stevez1
post #3494 of 4333
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevez1 View Post

The previous 900A that I had was great before the motherboard went, same 10' distance.. Everything was crisp and sharp, my wife was amazed even TV shows like Law and Order was outstanding. I just think that I got stuck with another lemon. Sony said that this replacement TV that they sent was new, not reconditioned, manufactured in Mexico Jan 2014. I questioned it because there was dust on the back casing. Who knows. I'm beginning to believe that maybe my HDMI cable is shot and I should by a high end cable. Hate spending $30-40 for a cable. Any idea what the Disney WOW disc costs?

Thanks
Stevez1

 

Never spend more than $10 on any HDMI cable shorter than 10'. Monoprice has them extremely cheap. I also just ordered 4 of the slim PNY cables with my new wall mount, and they were cheap as dirt. (Link at bottom of reply.)

 

As for the Disney WOW blu-ray, check ebay. I just got one ordered and shipped for $15 NIB. Amazon also has them, but will be charging $25-$30 for it. Still worth the $25 in my opinion.

 

HDMI CABLE LINK-->  PNY HDMI Cables. (They're an "add-on" item, so you'll need to purchase $25 at least for them to ship, or you can just search Monoprice.com if you don't care to use Amazon.)

post #3495 of 4333
The thing that surprises me most about my *uncalibrated* 900A is the black level, more so than the color. In this regard, I think it's the equivalent of my HX850a and maybe even a scooch better. Honestly.
post #3496 of 4333

Has anybody used Miracast from a PC to their W900? Thinking about picking up a Netgear Push2TV instead of building an HTPC, since my desktop is about 20ft from the TV.

post #3497 of 4333
Hi, amigos.

Owner of a 5-year old Panasonic TC-P50S1 plasma, and I'm thinking it's time for an upgrade.

This television is in a light-controlled basement and sees about 50/50 with gaming and movies. So really I'm looking for the best of both worlds. I've always considered myself a plasma guy, but I think I'm willing to give LED a shot - especially with the departure of Panasonic. If I were to stick with plasma I'd probably be looking at the Samsung 51F8500. I know each tech has their own issues, but at this point I'd like to get away from buzzing and IR - which it sounds like Samsung still has. If I go LED this W900 is about the only one I'm considering.

Of course LED has its problems too, and what scares me the most about jumping to LED is flashlighting during letter-boxed movies, motion resolution for gaming and vertical viewing angles while lying on the floor. I was wondering if you guys could give me some impressions regarding these issues and maybe assuage my fears before dropping $1700. I know opinions will differ and people way say luck-of-the-draw for each panel - but I'd like to ask anyways.

Also, one of the main reasons I'm leaning towards this set is its size. 50" is a bit too small for me and I think 55" would be just about perfect. The Samsung is only 51", which would be a minimal size upgrade.
post #3498 of 4333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powered by Soy View Post

Hi, amigos.

Owner of a 5-year old Panasonic TC-P50S1 plasma, and I'm thinking it's time for an upgrade.

This television is in a light-controlled basement and sees about 50/50 with gaming and movies. So really I'm looking for the best of both worlds. I've always considered myself a plasma guy, but I think I'm willing to give LED a shot - especially with the departure of Panasonic. If I were to stick with plasma I'd probably be looking at the Samsung 51F8500. I know each tech has their own issues, but at this point I'd like to get away from buzzing and IR - which it sounds like Samsung still has. If I go LED this W900 is about the only one I'm considering.

Of course LED has its problems too, and what scares me the most about jumping to LED is flashlighting during letter-boxed movies, motion resolution for gaming and vertical viewing angles while lying on the floor. I was wondering if you guys could give me some impressions regarding these issues and maybe assuage my fears before dropping $1700. I know opinions will differ and people way say luck-of-the-draw for each panel - but I'd like to ask anyways.

Also, one of the main reasons I'm leaning towards this set is its size. 50" is a bit too small for me and I think 55" would be just about perfect. The Samsung is only 51", which would be a minimal size upgrade.

Mine is a day old and I've watched movies and gamed on it. Blacks are blacker than any LED I've seen, color depth is amazing. I've seen no tearing during hockey games, and 1/5 the input lag that plasma has during gaming. The reviews on the 8500 in regards to gaming are pretty bad, it's a pretty panel... But 60ms of input lag is ridiculous.

I could not recommend this panel more, fast responsive UI, tons of settings to tweak to preference, deep blacks, wide color gamut, if you looked at my panel and never saw how thin it was, you wouldn't guess it was edge lit. I was going to wait for Vizio's new M-series because of the full-array, but this Sony blew any chance of Vizio getting my money.
post #3499 of 4333
Unable to change settings while using apps, such as Netflix, Hulu, etc. When using an app, does it use the current input settings? Such as HDMI 1, TV, or whatever you was using prior to opening app.
post #3500 of 4333

So I'm pretty happy with my set except for some panel uniformity issues. This is most noticible on images with large amounts of white... I have the weird banding at the vertical edges (sides) and a few bright spots along the top and bottom. I'll try to attach an image here... Let me know what you guys think. I really don't want to try an exchange but if it might be possible to get a more uniform panel I'd give it a shot, especially for the price of this set.
post #3501 of 4333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelzydog View Post

Thanks. I missed a setting on my Onkyo's Hardware setup menu. Now works ok...have not fully tested it with Blu-ray, etc.. Thanks again.

Are you using an hdmi or optical? I can't get my tv and onkyo 1009 arc working.
post #3502 of 4333
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpin View Post


So I'm pretty happy with my set except for some panel uniformity issues. This is most noticible on images with large amounts of white... I have the weird banding at the vertical edges (sides) and a few bright spots along the top and bottom. I'll try to attach an image here... Let me know what you guys think. I really don't want to try an exchange but if it might be possible to get a more uniform panel I'd give it a shot, especially for the price of this set.

Show us a real image with blu ray picture or cable/satellite image, no blank screens please. Your set is fine, it appears you are trying to find an issue or too picky. W900A is one of the best out there.
Edited by taurus2007. - 2/23/14 at 11:31am
post #3503 of 4333
I would say that photo cameras are totally exaggerating the problems on Sony. When I have white on a screen and looking into the screen I see it almost as perfect as it could be all across the screen. Through camera it is another world and I don't like that view. As I do not use camera for watching movies I totally ignore this smile.gif.

best, d.
post #3504 of 4333
Has anyone tried the THX app? Works with Ipad and is free.
post #3505 of 4333
HDMI input 2 is different than the rest . I forget what its designation is, but it starts with an H I think. What is so special /different about Input 2?
post #3506 of 4333
post #3507 of 4333
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpin View Post


So I'm pretty happy with my set except for some panel uniformity issues. This is most noticible on images with large amounts of white... I have the weird banding at the vertical edges (sides) and a few bright spots along the top and bottom. I'll try to attach an image here... Let me know what you guys think. I really don't want to try an exchange but if it might be possible to get a more uniform panel I'd give it a shot, especially for the price of this set.


Jumpin your set looks fine to me.
post #3508 of 4333
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

I always get my extended warrantee from Sony and yes they do sell extended warranty's! biggrin.gif

Steve -

Will 2 yr extended warranty starts after 1 yr manufacturer included warranty? So total of 3 years ?

Trying to pull trigger on Sony store with 2 yr extended warranty.

Total cost after my corporate discounts (20% off of MSRP) comes to $1867 - Including tax and 2 Year extended warranty.

Edit - Ordered smile.gif
Edited by NewHT - 2/23/14 at 1:05pm
post #3509 of 4333
I'm finally going to get to unbox my set on Tuesday. I want to order some new HDMI cables for it. Which ones on monoprice do you guys suggest? They have a ton of options. Not sure how to tell which ones I need...
post #3510 of 4333
Steve1971

With Best Buy although it is a 5 yr warranty it starts after the 1st year Sony warranty and ends at the end of the 5th year. You get 4 additional years. The way I go through TV's I'll need every bit of the 4 extra years.

Stevez1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread