or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread - Page 29

post #841 of 4376
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamoanRedrow View Post

HI everyone, I'm new to this site and was reading through everyones posts about this set as Im seriously thinking of upgrading to this set .Does anyone know what would be the best picture settings for console gaming on this set?

For me "Game Original" looks the best. So far Ive kept the stock settings for gaming. With all the processing off this should have the lowest lag possible.
Game Original is calibrated like a large computer with contrast set to max. Just make sure the Ecco settings are all set to off.

Use RGB full for PS3.
post #842 of 4376
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post

For me "Game Original" looks the best. So far Ive kept the stock settings for gaming. With all the processing off this should have the lowest lag possible.
Game Original is calibrated like a large computer with contrast set to max. Just make sure the Ecco settings are all set to off.

Use RGB full for PS3.
post #843 of 4376
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

I heard the same with regards the xbox settings but set the sony to limited not full?

Confused now frown.gif

It was my mistake, the Sony is meant to be set to full. Looks much better now smile.gif
post #844 of 4376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velimir Saban View Post

Oh yeah, thats much better! Two factors here change the whole picture: Light Sensor off in System Settings (I somehow forgot about that), and that default gamma on Cinema 1 mode is -2... that's the most important for me. Once I put it on -2, Game mode got that deep picture I wanted. I also set LED dynamic control to "low" because there is no influence on input lag, and with it, the strange "clouding" dissapeard. Now the screen screams with POWER!

Hi!

There is some controversy about LED dinamyc contros affects to the input lag. In my case, I was able to do some testing with some shooter and a measurement method duplicate the screen, tests are obviously very basic but seemed not to affect. But reading some information about it, other experts talk that could get to add up to 15ms of lag due to the amount of processing that requires the image to determine which areas light up more and which less.

Have you been able to see any way to avoid this change?

thanks
post #845 of 4376
Hello there.

Anyone tried PC gaming with this display?? Will Input lag and response time be the same In gaming mode vs graphics mode?

What about sharpness settings, should It be set to zero when connected to a pc or left at standard 50?
post #846 of 4376
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

It was my mistake, the Sony is meant to be set to full. Looks much better now smile.gif

Doesn't RGB Full crush blacks and look a little too cartoony for your games?
post #847 of 4376
ARC!!!!!!!!!! Does anyone have this working? I followed the steps here:
http://www.avsforum.com/a/denon-2011-and-2012-avr-faq-setup-and-troubleshooting-guide#user_E5

I used the ARC ports on both TV and receiver, and my hdmi cable says ARC on it. My TV menu is in Japanese, but I am pretty sure I turned the braviasync to on.
I have an optical cable, but since I moved, the receiver is farther from the TV and the cable is too short.

BTW I purchased Baraka and it looks fabulous!!!!!! Also ordered the 3D glasses and they get here next week (In Japan the TV doesn't come with any you lucky american bastards). Just hooked up my computer as well and XBMC looks and sounds pretty darn good as well. I am super happy with the 900a smile.gif
post #848 of 4376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

Doesn't RGB Full crush blacks and look a little too cartoony for your games?


All gamers should read this post by Insanity202 from AVF forums. Its explains what goes on with the 360 and PS3.


PS3 set to full and the tv will adjust the image to suit and auto adjust when needed eg a cinematic footage has been coded to suit limited range the tv adjusts in less than a blink of an eye.

Xbox 360. Reference level expanded and colour space rgb.
Now the xbox has quite a few bugs in its video output. Now what the Xbox should do is send a flag via hdmi to say its now at full rgb...it doesnt. So you have to manually set the tv from auto to full.
But wait theres more. If for example theres a cinematic footage sending out a limited signal, unlike the ps3 which sends a flag via hdmi to so the tv auto adjusts the xbox again fails to do so.

I wont go into gamma output too much but the ps3 sends its signal as it should be, flat gamma. The xbox adds a curve.
My thoughts is xbox do this to try and create more punch from an image by over blowing whites and crushing blacks. As far as im aware devs are aware of this so can alter there games to counter the xbox settings...if they want.
This then leaves the question of is it accurate? The answer for both the PS3 and Xbox is no.
The reason for this while video levels and colour space can be set correctly the likes of gamma, gamut (colour) have no industry standards for games. Mad I know, one game could be made on a screens with a gamma of 2.4, 2.2 or 2.0 and maybe not even correctly.

So after such long waffle set to PS3 to full tv can be left on auto, Xbox to RGB and expanded and change the tv to full.
post #849 of 4376
No one has it hooked up to their PC yet?

Game/graphics mode is supposed to enable 4:4:4. Only way to really tell is by having it hooked to a PC.


It'd be also great if anymore people can test for DSE/Banding.
post #850 of 4376
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBonk View Post

No one has it hooked up to their PC yet?

Game/graphics mode is supposed to enable 4:4:4. Only way to really tell is by having it hooked to a PC.


It'd be also great if anymore people can test for DSE/Banding.

I have bad DSE/banding. I filmed it but it really doesnt show up well in video (there are also reflections that make it harder to see).

What about you? I'm still not sure if I should return my 46".

My problem is this: I believe all 46" W9s suffer from some form of banding BUT some people have said theirs don't. My question is, are these people just not noticing it? Or are there truly 46"s that are completely clean and then does that mean I should go and try and return it for another one?
post #851 of 4376
How are the black levels(With local dimming set to off)on this bad boy? And how do they stack up against....Lets say, this years panasonic S60?
post #852 of 4376
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobble9 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBonk View Post

No one has it hooked up to their PC yet?

Game/graphics mode is supposed to enable 4:4:4. Only way to really tell is by having it hooked to a PC.


It'd be also great if anymore people can test for DSE/Banding.

I have bad DSE/banding. I filmed it but it really doesnt show up well in video (there are also reflections that make it harder to see).

What about you? I'm still not sure if I should return my 46".

My problem is this: I believe all 46" W9s suffer from some form of banding BUT some people have said theirs don't. My question is, are these people just not noticing it? Or are there truly 46"s that are completely clean and then does that mean I should go and try and return it for another one?


Well I will go on record and say that my HX850 has no banding and yes I have looked and looked for it and it don't have any.
post #853 of 4376
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobble9 View Post

I have bad DSE/banding. I filmed it but it really doesnt show up well in video (there are also reflections that make it harder to see).

What about you? I'm still not sure if I should return my 46".

My problem is this: I believe all 46" W9s suffer from some form of banding BUT some people have said theirs don't. My question is, are these people just not noticing it? Or are there truly 46"s that are completely clean and then does that mean I should go and try and return it for another one?

I have the 55" and have none. You however obviously do. There are only 3 possibilities here. 1, you got a defective set. 2, the only the 46" version suffers from this or 3, Sony has reverted to the panel lottery, which they vowed not to do anymore since 2012.

http://www.digitalversus.com/tv-television/sony-promises-tv-panel-switching-from-2012-n19917.html
post #854 of 4376
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobble9 View Post

I have bad DSE/banding. I filmed it but it really doesnt show up well in video (there are also reflections that make it harder to see).

What about you? I'm still not sure if I should return my 46".

My problem is this: I believe all 46" W9s suffer from some form of banding BUT some people have said theirs don't. My question is, are these people just not noticing it? Or are there truly 46"s that are completely clean and then does that mean I should go and try and return it for another one?
This is a good question
post #855 of 4376
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

The r550 shares no similarities with the w900a and does not have this problem.

 

Sorry, the first part of that statement is simplistic.  You CANNOT say that the R550 shares no similarities with the w900a unless you're part of the software team.

 

As a principal software engineer/architect I can tell you that products almost always share major parts of a code base across all models.  The various models then have various parts of that turned on or off.

 

The question has to do with a firmware update recently that caused the number of times we notice "lavender lips" to increase.  This could be part of a fundamental code change by Sony in the underlying handling of the Rec.709 color space for all we know.

 

Now all that said: Has anyone (else) noticed a change in the color handling in the last couple weeks?  I suspect not, but it'd be important to know.

post #856 of 4376
The set we have on display looks pink like this. We are sending one back to sony for the same problem. So we have seen 2, both very pink from slightly off axis. I am curious if any others have the same effect??
post #857 of 4376
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBonk View Post

This is a good question

Indeed. I wish someone who knows their stuff and has a 46" could come here and say for sure that their screen doesn't have DSE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaro55 View Post

The set we have on display looks pink like this. We are sending one back to sony for the same problem. So we have seen 2, both very pink from slightly off axis. I am curious if any others have the same effect??

This is not a fault. This pinkish colour only happens when viewing the W9 from extreme upwards or downwards angles -- something you shouldn't be doing anyway. All of them have it.
post #858 of 4376
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobble9 View Post

Indeed. I wish someone who knows their stuff and has a 46" could come here and say for sure that their screen doesn't have DSE.
This is not a fault. This pinkish colour only happens when viewing the W9 from extreme upwards or downwards angles -- something you shouldn't be doing anyway. All of them have it.

Looking at my w900a with a full white screen it for sure has DSE. I didnt notive it until I tried looking for it, and now I easily notice it. I feel like there is a film over it. Officially annoyed mad.gif Thus, I am out of options as this set has the lowest input lag. I guess you have to pick your flaws, as no set is perfect.
post #859 of 4376
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

Looking at my w900a with a full white screen it for sure has DSE. I didnt notive it until I tried looking for it, and now I easily notice it. I feel like there is a film over it. Officially annoyed mad.gif Thus, I am out of options as this set has the lowest input lag. I guess you have to pick your flaws, as no set is perfect.

You're gonna see DSE on almost all LCDs, IMO. I've had many through the years, cheap and expensive, and all of 'em had it. Most of the time it's not noticeable unless it's a panning shot.
post #860 of 4376
UFO can you give us more info? Full white screen and what did you see and where? Are they darker sports or pillars in left/right?
post #861 of 4376
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppetros View Post

UFO can you give us more info? Full white screen and what did you see and where? Are they darker sports or pillars in left/right?

All LED sets have the darker pillars on the left and right, some just more then others. But what I see is little specks that just look "dirty". Its as if the screen needs to be wiped down.
post #862 of 4376
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

All LED sets have the darker pillars on the left and right, some just more then others. But what I see is little specks that just look "dirty". Its as if the screen needs to be wiped down.

Actually, only Edge Lit LEDs will have these pillars, wish there were more high end full array LED sets out there. You would expect this one to be for it's price tag but it's not..
post #863 of 4376
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBonk View Post

Actually, only Edge Lit LEDs will have these pillars, wish there were more high end full array LED sets out there. You would expect this one to be for it's price tag but it's not..

Almsot all 2013 sets are edge lit but yes I know. Full array has their own problems though.
post #864 of 4376
In my experience, full array makes viewing angles even worse. Makes more sense on huge displays I think. After selling my VT50 and trying several LED sets including the F8000, I am absolutely blown away by this tv. My favorite part by far is that it takes minimal fuss to get a great picture, you don;t have to constantly fool with the settings. Sony's processing is just better in my opinion. Even ESPN and ABC look great and they are notoriously bad in my area.
post #865 of 4376
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcramer View Post

In my experience, full array makes viewing angles even worse. Makes more sense on huge displays I think. After selling my VT50 and trying several LED sets including the F8000, I am absolutely blown away by this tv. My favorite part by far is that it takes minimal fuss to get a great picture, you don;t have to constantly fool with the settings. Sony's processing is just better in my opinion. Even ESPN and ABC look great and they are notoriously bad in my area.


I guess it depends on the set.


On traditional CCFL sets i've never had the bleeding issues of edge lits that i've had :/. I only figured a full array would be better.
post #866 of 4376
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBonk View Post

I guess it depends on the set.


On traditional CCFL sets i've never had the bleeding issues of edge lits that i've had :/. I only figured a full array would be better.

As far as bleeding and clouding go, CCFL have the best track record by far for most even back lighting. I wish they would bring it back.
post #867 of 4376
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

As far as bleeding and clouding go, CCFL have the best track record by far for most even back lighting. I wish they would bring it back.

They might have a better track record but you can get the same uniformity issues on CCFL Sets. I have flashlighting and DSE on my CCFL Samsung D630 from 2012. It's more build quality than parts used.
post #868 of 4376
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

Does anyone have this weird pink hue from off angle viewing? Also, everything the tv reflect during the day reflects as a rainbow. I am guessing this is from the tri-luminous technology?

I have seen two like this. We sent one back to Sony, and have another that looks the same. It looks pink even if you are just a little off axis. I do not think this is correct. Does anyone else have this problem?? Or have one that doesn't do this?
post #869 of 4376
I saw a set at a Sony demonstration that did not have this pink off axis color. And it's not just from up or down. Very obvious from the sides.
post #870 of 4376
Mine has a slight hue from extreme angles, but not anything like that photo.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread