or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread - Page 31

post #901 of 4283
pls delete
post #902 of 4283
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobble9 View Post

So I posted this over on the other forums, but this is how bad my DSE is on my 46" W9. It doesn't show up as well on camera as it does in person, but if you look at the top portion of the image, you should see it.

I know not many people here have a 46", though given this is the worldwide web, if someone here does not have this problem and has a 46", I'd appreciate it if you said so.

OMG, thats really annoying, i would send the tv back and get a new one.
post #903 of 4283
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBonk View Post

Is that DSE just as apparent in other games/other things?


You may want to try one of these DSE tests
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDzcnxglmIE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtmqhAtdjE0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on_jB7XjGzg

It happens with all games, yes. In fact, it's pretty much guaranteed that if I look at the sky in the game, I'm in for a sorry reminder of the DSE.

I generally can't be bothered with those tests because the framerate is both low/YouTube compression can create other artifacts in the testing. But yeah, I can 100% say that this is an issue independent from the games.
post #904 of 4283
Samsung's Active 3D Glasses sync to the tv via Bluetooth? Or is there something special we have to do?
post #905 of 4283
The only reason I ask about other games is because games often have resources that are filled with banding to begin with.(Often skyboxes)

But it's not the same kind of banding as DSE in that it doesn't cover the whole screen veritcally
post #906 of 4283
Anyone use Cinema Quest's Bias lighting?
Im thinking about buying the standard model for my W9.

I think it will help when playing games at night.

http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/Ideal-Lume.htm
post #907 of 4283
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post

Anyone use Cinema Quest's Bias lighting?
Im thinking about buying the standard model for my W9.

I think it will help when playing games at night.

http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/Ideal-Lume.htm

Yes I use back lighting and it makes playing much easier. I would not buy from there though, thats a complete rip off. Try here: http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g6/c451/s1064/list/p1/Lighting-Cold_Cathode_-_Inverterless-CCFL_Light_Bars_-_20-Page1.html or if you really want to save money and dont mind a few extra wires these work great: http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g6/c75/s134/list/p1/Lighting-Cold_Cathode_-_Kits-15_Single_CCFL-Page1.html
post #908 of 4283
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post

Anyone use Cinema Quest's Bias lighting?
Im thinking about buying the standard model for my W9.

I think it will help when playing games at night.

http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/Ideal-Lume.htm

I have a bias lightning on the back of the TV. I got it from ebay for only $15 and it's very good. Easy to install and has adjustable light.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310621089492?var=610178518766&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
post #909 of 4283
So I got my 55" w900 today.

Beautiful tv.

Turned on breaking bad on netflix.

Dear lord have mercy above give me shelter from the soap opera effect storm. Dear god it was the worst thing I ever laid eyes upon.

It was so bad that if someone told me that I could never watch tv again or had to watch tv with the soap opera effect, I would thank them for freeing me from the soap opera effect.

It was so bad that I would rather cuddle a porcupine than ever watch a show with that soap opera effect again.

It was so bad, it made me rage like a bro on roids.

Please, for the love of everything, tell me it is possible to turn off that effect.

I turned off auto motion, but nothing I changed in the settings ever seemed to impact the settings within netflix.

What settings am I missing? Please help before I chuck the tv into the ocean.
post #910 of 4283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutwolf View Post

So I got my 55" w900 today.

Beautiful tv.

Turned on breaking bad on netflix.

Dear lord have mercy above give me shelter from the soap opera effect storm. Dear god it was the worst thing I ever laid eyes upon.

It was so bad that if someone told me that I could never watch tv again or had to watch tv with the soap opera effect, I would thank them for freeing me from the soap opera effect.

It was so bad that I would rather cuddle a porcupine than ever watch a show with that soap opera effect again.

It was so bad, it made me rage like a bro on roids.

Please, for the love of everything, tell me it is possible to turn off that effect.

I turned off auto motion, but nothing I changed in the settings ever seemed to impact the settings within netflix.

What settings am I missing? Please help before I chuck the tv into the ocean.

I was not able to adjust the settings in Netflix app. So I don't use any of the apps and use a mix of my PS3 and WD TV Live instead.
post #911 of 4283
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamOner View Post

Do Samsung active 3d glasses work on the Sony W900a?

Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

Yes.

Do any active 3d glasses work with this tv? I assume as long as they have Bluetooth? Or not? My friends glasses for his sharp are IR, so they would probably not work?
Thanks!!
post #912 of 4283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutwolf View Post

So I got my 55" w900 today.

Beautiful tv.

Turned on breaking bad on netflix.

Dear lord have mercy above give me shelter from the soap opera effect storm. Dear god it was the worst thing I ever laid eyes upon.

It was so bad that if someone told me that I could never watch tv again or had to watch tv with the soap opera effect, I would thank them for freeing me from the soap opera effect.

It was so bad that I would rather cuddle a porcupine than ever watch a show with that soap opera effect again.

It was so bad, it made me rage like a bro on roids.

Please, for the love of everything, tell me it is possible to turn off that effect.

I turned off auto motion, but nothing I changed in the settings ever seemed to impact the settings within netflix.

What settings am I missing? Please help before I chuck the tv into the ocean.

I'm not sure what Sony calls it, (maybe Smooth Motion or Motion Flow?), but if you turn it OFF or on CLEAR it should eliminate the S.O.E. There should be a list of sub-settings under Motion Flow/Smooth Motion titled, Smooth, Standard, Clear, and Off.
post #913 of 4283
Well, as much as I tried to love the w900a, its going back. While it is an excellent LED set and by far better then others currently on the market, I can not justify spending the money on it when I can get a bigger plasma for almost $1k cheaper that puts out drastically better picture quality. I did a side-by-side comparison with an HDMI splitter with the w900a and a tired panasonic TC-P60U50, and the U50 destroyed it in every aspect except brightness. Its hard to see how bad LCD panels handle motion until you see it next to a plasma displaying the same moving images. Hopefully the coming OLED sets will be the perfect mix of plasma picture quality with LED brightness.
post #914 of 4283
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

Well, as much as I tried to love the w900a, its going back. While it is an excellent LED set and by far better then others currently on the market, I can not justify spending the money on it when I can get a bigger plasma for almost $1k cheaper that puts out drastically better picture quality. I did a side-by-side comparison with an HDMI splitter with the w900a and a tired panasonic TC-P60U50, and the U50 destroyed it in every aspect except brightness. Its hard to see how bad LCD panels handle motion until you see it next to a plasma displaying the same moving images. Hopefully the coming OLED sets will be the perfect mix of plasma picture quality with LED brightness.

Yeah well, Plasma's would be infinitely better if it wasn't for things like, flickering, higher heat output,noise, phosphor trails, often inability to completely support full chroma resolution for PCs and consoles,lower brightness, dithering and other stuff.



It's just a matter of which evils you are willing to live with.
post #915 of 4283
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

Well, as much as I tried to love the w900a, its going back. While it is an excellent LED set and by far better then others currently on the market, I can not justify spending the money on it when I can get a bigger plasma for almost $1k cheaper that puts out drastically better picture quality. I did a side-by-side comparison with an HDMI splitter with the w900a and a tired panasonic TC-P60U50, and the U50 destroyed it in every aspect except brightness. Its hard to see how bad LCD panels handle motion until you see it next to a plasma displaying the same moving images. Hopefully the coming OLED sets will be the perfect mix of plasma picture quality with LED brightness.

That's good for you, though this post seems to be borderline trolling.

Most of us know the benefits of a plasma vs LED, but choose LED because plasma does not fit our lifestyles. I play a ton of video games and watch probably 9 hours of football on sundays without turning the tv off. I also don't want a tv that I have to baby, even a little bit. The peace of mind from virtually no risk of IR and the awesomely low input lag in the w900 is enough for me to make up my mind.

So I'm happy that you found a tv you like, but it is kind of obnoxious of you to come into an LED thread and say you're returning the LED because plasma is just so much better.
post #916 of 4283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

I'm not sure what Sony calls it, (maybe Smooth Motion or Motion Flow?), but if you turn it OFF or on CLEAR it should eliminate the S.O.E. There should be a list of sub-settings under Motion Flow/Smooth Motion titled, Smooth, Standard, Clear, and Off.

I turned it off, but it did not seem to do anything to the quality in netflix. As if netflix ignores the tv settings.
post #917 of 4283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutwolf View Post

I turned it off, but it did not seem to do anything to the quality in netflix. As if netflix ignores the tv settings.

That's odd. When you turned it off did it eliminate the S.O.E. during regular content? Are you using Netflix on the TV or Blu-Ray Player, etc.?
post #918 of 4283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutwolf View Post

That's good for you, though this post seems to be borderline trolling.

Most of us know the benefits of a plasma vs LED, but choose LED because plasma does not fit our lifestyles. I play a ton of video games and watch probably 9 hours of football on sundays without turning the tv off. I also don't want a tv that I have to baby, even a little bit. The peace of mind from virtually no risk of IR and the awesomely low input lag in the w900 is enough for me to make up my mind.

So I'm happy that you found a tv you like, but it is kind of obnoxious of you to come into an LED thread and say you're returning the LED because plasma is just so much better.

Cutwolf, this is not trolling. Its well known that plasma has better picture quality. Yes LED-LCD has its place, but even for gaming plasma is better. I have had a TC-P50U50 and a TC-P60U50 since they came out and have no burn in, and I have gamed on them, which is another thing. The input lag on the U50 is lower then the w900a. When using the HDMI splitter it was noticeable that the U50 was faster in handling the input. Everyone has their opinion I am just stating mine. I feel ripped off when I paid over double for a 55" that cant stand up to a 60" in picture quality that was half the cost. My plasmas have been on 9-12 hours a day with not a single problem, but they were properly broken in.
post #919 of 4283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutwolf View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

Well, as much as I tried to love the w900a, its going back. While it is an excellent LED set and by far better then others currently on the market, I can not justify spending the money on it when I can get a bigger plasma for almost $1k cheaper that puts out drastically better picture quality. I did a side-by-side comparison with an HDMI splitter with the w900a and a tired panasonic TC-P60U50, and the U50 destroyed it in every aspect except brightness. Its hard to see how bad LCD panels handle motion until you see it next to a plasma displaying the same moving images. Hopefully the coming OLED sets will be the perfect mix of plasma picture quality with LED brightness.

That's good for you, though this post seems to be borderline trolling.

Most of us know the benefits of a plasma vs LED, but choose LED because plasma does not fit our lifestyles. I play a ton of video games and watch probably 9 hours of football on sundays without turning the tv off. I also don't want a tv that I have to baby, even a little bit. The peace of mind from virtually no risk of IR and the awesomely low input lag in the w900 is enough for me to make up my mind.

So I'm happy that you found a tv you like, but it is kind of obnoxious of you to come into an LED thread and say you're returning the LED because plasma is just so much better.

 

Cutwolf, this is just complete crap, and you should know better.

 

The entire POINT of a thread about a TV is to share opinions and observations, and that absolutely includes what you are considering a better choice to be.  It is NOT a place to mindlessly go "rah rah go team" as if an LED thread is some sort of emotional "us vs. them" situation.
 

And take note of this, whoever decided to ignorantly "thumbs-up" you in that post.  You're both completely off base, and the only one being obnoxious are you.

post #920 of 4283
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutwolf View Post

That's good for you, though this post seems to be borderline trolling.

(snipped out)

So I'm happy that you found a tv you like, but it is kind of obnoxious of you to come into an LED thread and say you're returning the LED because plasma is just so much better.

Cutwolf, this is not trolling. Its well known that plasma has better picture quality.

 

Whether or not it's well known or that everyone agrees with it (neither needs to be true), his response to your opinion here is completely childish and off base.

post #921 of 4283
Wow what happened here? A guy comes in here and says he is returning his tv because he thinks Plasma is better and all heck breaks loose. Let him think Plasma is better then LED/LCD....its his opinion and he has a right to it. But UFO said everyone knows Plasma is better then LED/LCD. Well I beg to differ on that one but again that's his opinion.
post #922 of 4283
I stand by my post.

If he had come in and said "I am returning w900 because it lacks feature x or y and I don't like z" that's one thing. But saying he's returning this tv because the tech it is based on is simply inferior to another tech adds nothing to the discussion about this tv, and there are many other threads for that topic
It's neither here nor there, in the end. Didn't mean to derail the thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

That's odd. When you turned it off did it eliminate the S.O.E. during regular content? Are you using Netflix on the TV or Blu-Ray Player, etc.?

I quickly tested it before boxing it up because I'm moving, so the only content I was testing it with was netflix.

But I will say that when I put it in impact mode, it dimmed the screen as I've heard it does, but when I went into netflix, everything brightened back up. So it seems it was doing it in other modes, but netflix was overriding it.

I was using netflix app.
post #923 of 4283
This TV's colors are amazing. Too bad my wife is dead set on a 60" tv. frown.gif
post #924 of 4283
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

No, not that it's delayed---if true that would be easily verifiable based any early date they may have given.

I wanted to know where you got the sense that it was because Sony was "afraid that people will not notice much different in the 55W900a and the overpriced 4K TVs which will impact sale of the 4k sets". To me that part doesn't follow and I was wondering if it was speculation on your part or if this was industry news or similar. That's all.

EDIT: helvetica bold corrected me on this in a later post. It was not he who said this, it was malcolmp6. Sorry helvetica bold!

Not that I am an expert on videos and I am certainly not a videophile by any strech of imagination - still - I compared both 4K and W900 side by side - with same movie (Avengers) and I could not tell the difference. Now I understand that 4K content looks amazing but sony has a long list of technological advances which failed to come to fruition - and therefore I am going to ignore the 4K for now.
post #925 of 4283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutwolf View Post

I turned it off, but it did not seem to do anything to the quality in netflix. As if netflix ignores the tv settings.

The Netflix app does not allow you to make any changes to the Picture Adjustments but there is a workaround. Unlike the Netflix app, the Crackle app does allow you to make changes to the Picture Adjustments and any changes you make in the Crackle app will carry over to the Netflix app. To edit the Picture Adjustments watch a video in Crackle and use the Options button on the remote, select Picture and Display, and then Picture Adjustments. I have used this method to disable Motionflow while watching Netflix.
post #926 of 4283
I am very close to purchasing this unit - may I ask - I am being offered 4 year protection for 300 $ from the aafes (exchange store) and 199$ for 2 year protection plan. Is it worth getting ? I will be purchasing this with AMEX - would that double the manufacturer's warranty?
post #927 of 4283
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishairflow View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

No, not that it's delayed---if true that would be easily verifiable based any early date they may have given.

I wanted to know where you got the sense that it was because Sony was "afraid that people will not notice much different in the 55W900a and the overpriced 4K TVs which will impact sale of the 4k sets". To me that part doesn't follow and I was wondering if it was speculation on your part or if this was industry news or similar. That's all.

EDIT: helvetica bold corrected me on this in a later post. It was not he who said this, it was malcolmp6. Sorry helvetica bold!

Not that I am an expert on videos and I am certainly not a videophile by any strech of imagination - still - I compared both 4K and W900 side by side - with same movie (Avengers) and I could not tell the difference. Now I understand that 4K content looks amazing but sony has a long list of technological advances which failed to come to fruition - and therefore I am going to ignore the 4K for now.


fish I am with you on this as I compared the HX850 to the new Sony 4K tv and saw little to no difference in PQ let alone black levels. So like you I am also ignoring 4K for now and for the forseeable future. That is unless Sony wants to send me a 4K set for free!! lol Since that's not going to happen I am more then satisfied with my HX850.
post #928 of 4283
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

fish I am with you on this as I compared the HX850 to the new Sony 4K tv and saw little to no difference in PQ let alone black levels. So like you I am also ignoring 4K for now and for the forseeable future. That is unless Sony wants to send me a 4K set for free!! lol Since that's not going to happen I am more then satisfied with my HX850.
Are you going to consider buying extended warranty?
post #929 of 4283
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishairflow View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

fish I am with you on this as I compared the HX850 to the new Sony 4K tv and saw little to no difference in PQ let alone black levels. So like you I am also ignoring 4K for now and for the forseeable future. That is unless Sony wants to send me a 4K set for free!! lol Since that's not going to happen I am more then satisfied with my HX850.
Are you going to consider buying extended warranty?

I already did fish......2 year extended warranty on my HX850 from Sony. Better to be safe then sorry.
post #930 of 4283
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Cutwolf, this is just complete crap, and you should know better.

The entire POINT of a thread about a TV is to share opinions and observations, and that absolutely includes what you are considering a better choice to be.  It is NOT a place to mindlessly go "rah rah go team" as if an LED thread is some sort of emotional "us vs. them" situation.

 
And take note of this, whoever decided to ignorantly "thumbs-up" you in that post.  You're both completely off base, and the only one being obnoxious are you.

Those kinds of posts are so disheartening. I quit reading the forum years ago due to all the back and forth FUD regarding TV technology. Unfortunately I now need another display, so I'm reviewing some owner's threads.

Years later and it's still people going back and forth with the same old tired arguments. I just can't wait to get another display purchased so I can look the other way again.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread