or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › VIKINGS on History
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

VIKINGS on History - Page 5

post #121 of 626
Bit slow but still a decent episode.
What do you know, Loki is married!
post #122 of 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Bit slow but still a decent episode.

Yes, only an attack and all-around slaughter, hero getting shot with an arrow and cut by an ax, escape via tunnel to the river, escape via horse, cliff dive and near drowning, a betrothal and wedding, an apparent menage a trois, a deal made and betrayed, beat-down, capture and torture of hero's brother, and a challenge to a death-match. Otherwise, pretty slow.
post #123 of 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Aster View Post

Yes, only an attack and all-around slaughter, hero getting shot with an arrow and cut by an ax, escape via tunnel to the river, escape via horse, cliff dive and near drowning, a betrothal and wedding, an apparent menage a trois, a deal made and betrayed, beat-down, capture and torture of hero's brother, and a challenge to a death-match. Otherwise, pretty slow.

+1

Al
post #124 of 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Aster View Post

Yes, only an attack and all-around slaughter, hero getting shot with an arrow and cut by an ax, escape via tunnel to the river, escape via horse, cliff dive and near drowning, a betrothal and wedding, an apparent menage a trois, a deal made and betrayed, beat-down, capture and torture of hero's brother, and a challenge to a death-match. Otherwise, pretty slow.

Slow as in I want to see more of England and what the Vikings did there. I work with a Welshman who was taught to hate the main Char but he is loving this story.
Something is coming with the priest but I can;t see where it is going unless.. Missionaries?
post #125 of 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Slow as in I want to see more of England and what the Vikings did there. I work with a Welshman who was taught to hate the main Char but he is loving this story.
Something is coming with the priest but I can;t see where it is going unless.. Missionaries?
Well in order for Ragnar to get busy recruiting ships for serious raiding and mayhem, he's got to settle the hash of the Earl. It's coming to a head shortly I believe, then it's back to lopping heads in England and elsewhere.
post #126 of 626
Yeah, I really like the "lopping heads" and stuff like that!

Al
post #127 of 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Aster View Post

Yes, only an attack and all-around slaughter, hero getting shot with an arrow and cut by an ax, escape via tunnel to the river, escape via horse, cliff dive and near drowning, a betrothal and wedding, an apparent menage a trois, a deal made and betrayed, beat-down, capture and torture of hero's brother, and a challenge to a death-match. Otherwise, pretty slow.

+2
post #128 of 626
Eh, it was obvious Wythcone was talking about timeline not action. I'm OK either way, Just wish I had four or five loaded in the dvr.
These hour long shows no longer give me my fix. I need stronger doses.


I hope at some point we can have slaves manning the oars and the writers kick in a "Row well, and Live" homage.
It would sound great with Raggys stutter step delivery.
post #129 of 626
Yeah, it was obvious after he explained what he meant. I'm sorta anxious for more of the story too but I can put up with it as long as they want to draw it out because it is an action filled series. I'm with you though, I like watching more than one episode at a time.

Al
post #130 of 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Aster View Post

Yes, only an attack and all-around slaughter, hero getting shot with an arrow and cut by an ax, escape via tunnel to the river, escape via horse, cliff dive and near drowning, a betrothal and wedding, an apparent menage a trois, a deal made and betrayed, beat-down, capture and torture of hero's brother, and a challenge to a death-match. Otherwise, pretty slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler55 View Post

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post

+2

Indeed! There are a lot of criticisms I could make of Vikings but "slow" isn't one of them.

On to the events depicted in this week's episode. I agree that Ragnar has to take the Earl out some time, some how. In the short term, he has to get a ship for another raid. Isn't it pretty likely that the Earl's pretty young daughter, recently married to the Swedish earl, will end up with Ragnar's brother Rollo?
post #131 of 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post


I agree that Ragnar has to take the Earl out some time, some how.

Looks like we might see that next week...one way or the other.
post #132 of 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

The Vikings were, basically, raiders/robbers.
From their POV, it was far preferable to steal than trying to rule alien peoples.

Sooner rather than later, they succumbed to Christianity and their attitudes changed radically.
Eventually, they became like any other European society of the time.

What people should remember is that Vikings were just a smal part of the community, most people were farmers, traders etc. But farming tales doesnt have the same Hollywood material. wink.gif
post #133 of 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post


Something is coming with the priest but I can;t see where it is going unless.. Missionaries?
Christianity was the undoing of the Viking culture...and it happened fairly quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Well in order for Ragnar to get busy recruiting ships for serious raiding and mayhem, he's got to settle the hash of the Earl.
Frankly, I felt the optimum time for Ragnar would have been immediately AFTER the 2nd raid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

What people should remember is that Vikings were just a smal part of the community, most people were farmers, traders etc. But farming tales doesnt have the same Hollywood material. wink.gif
This is true.wink.gif
post #134 of 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post


Isn't it pretty likely that the Earl's pretty young daughter, recently married to the Swedish earl, will end up with Ragnar's brother Rollo?

Depends on if he is any better looking than the "Swede" after the good Earl gets done carving him up.
post #135 of 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

Depends on if he is any better looking than the "Swede" after the good Earl gets done carving him up.

Yep, Rollo is in deep trouble right now.
post #136 of 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Yep, Rollo is in deep trouble right now.
Ragnar better win his better late than never duel.wink.gif
post #137 of 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Ragnar better win his better late than never duel.wink.gif
Of course he wins or there wouldn't be sagas about the dude tongue.gif. That said, he's not in very great shape at the mo. The Earl's probably got 100 guys and Rag's friends have been getting picked off. We'll see.
post #138 of 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Of course he wins or there wouldn't be sagas about the dude tongue.gif.
You're always crushing my reality.biggrin.gif

Quote:
The Earl's probably got 100 guys and Rag's friends have been getting picked off.
True, but isn't there a tradition to follow the strongest leader?wink.gif
post #139 of 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Of course he wins or there wouldn't be sagas about the dude tongue.gif.

I agree with your analysis but, man, it sure was prosaic.smile.gif

Quote:
That said, he's [Ragnar] not in very great shape at the mo. The Earl's probably got 100 guys and Rag's friends have been getting picked off. We'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

True, but isn't there a tradition to follow the strongest leader?wink.gif

It is true that people tend to follow those who they perceive to be the strongest leader. I can make an argument for Earl Haraldson, despite his treacherousness, because he still has far more soldiers, weapons, and ships than Ragnar or anybody else who might try to topple him. On the other hand, Ragnar has proved to be a charismatic leader, successful raider, and, most important of all, loyal to his supporters. Everybody in the earldom has to know that Earl Haraldson would betray them in a heartbeat if he thought doing so would be to his advantage. That might be enough to convince enough of the earl's supporters to come over to his side to give Ragnar the numbers he would need to unseat the earl.

An alternative might be for Ragnar to get a ship, recruit a crew, go to England, and stay there for the foreseeable future. As hostile as the Saxons would certainly be, they couldn't pose a bigger threat than the earl.
post #140 of 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

The Earl's probably got 100 guys and Rag's friends have been getting picked off. We'll see.

Ragnar challenges him to a duel (via messenger) and of course, the ego kicks in. The Earl can't decline a direct challenge and look weak.
post #141 of 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

Ragnar challenges him to a duel (via messenger) and of course, the ego kicks in. The Earl can't decline a direct challenge and look weak.

That's a good point. The earl might have a hard time ignoring Ragnar's challenge if he wants to retain his credibility. In addition, the earl might think that Ragnar's weakened condition resulting from the injuries inflicted by the earl's men would place the odds of winning a duel in the earl's favor. Based on what I have seen of Ragnar, though, I wouldn't bet against him in single combat, wounds or no wounds.
post #142 of 626
At what point does a Viking nobleman become too old to engage in personal combat for leadership? Clearly, the Earl has an ego, and he can't allow himself to appear weak, so he's going to fight a weakened Ragnar, confident of victory. But they weren't Klingons, after all. Surely not every change of authority or the passing of the baton of leadership ended in blood did it?
post #143 of 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

At what point does a Viking nobleman become too old to engage in personal combat for leadership? Clearly, the Earl has an ego, and he can't allow himself to appear weak, so he's going to fight a weakened Ragnar, confident of victory. But they weren't Klingons, after all. Surely not every change of authority or the passing of the baton of leadership ended in blood did it?
While single combat may have come into play occasionally, I think most power changed hands territorially. Meaning, a rival came in and wiped out or drove out a ruling family. If an older Jarl did get challenged internally, he could accept the duel, but have a champion fight (who would be the local badass). Ragnar is counting on the publicity and the fact that he's wounded, gambling that the Earl will accept. Course, while we've seen the Jarl's henchmen, we haven't see any singular badass warrior (or been shown one), just the little bald guy who does his dirty work.
post #144 of 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

while we've seen the Jarl's henchmen, we haven't see any singular badass warrior (or been shown one), just the little bald guy who does his dirty work.

I agree that the earl's henchmen don't seem too scary and the little bald guy seems more sneaky than formidable. My predictions about Vikings, however, are hampered by severely limited knowledge of how they really did things in the 9th Century.
post #145 of 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

At what point does a Viking nobleman become too old to engage in personal combat for leadership?

At what point does a Viking nobleman get old?
post #146 of 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

It is true that people tend to follow those who they perceive to be the strongest leader. I can make an argument for Earl Haraldson, despite his treacherousness, because he still has far more soldiers, weapons, and ships than Ragnar or anybody else who might try to topple him. On the other hand, Ragnar has proved to be a charismatic leader, successful raider, and, most important of all, loyal to his supporters. Everybody in the earldom has to know that Earl Haraldson would betray them in a heartbeat if he thought doing so would be to his advantage. That might be enough to convince enough of the earl's supporters to come over to his side to give Ragnar the numbers he would need to unseat the earl.
There is one thing Ragnar has going for him: he is a known jackpot for the tribe.
His bona vides is a proven ability to bring home a boatload of treasure....money talks and B.S. walks.wink.gif

Quote:
An alternative might be for Ragnar to get a ship, recruit a crew, go to England, and stay there for the foreseeable future. As hostile as the Saxons would certainly be, they couldn't pose a bigger threat than the earl.
At this point in time, I can't see the center of the show being transplanted to Britain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Clearly, the Earl has an ego, and he can't allow himself to appear weak, so he's going to fight a weakened Ragnar, confident of victory.
Ragnar knows this and it is part of his strategy.cool.gif

Quote:
Surely not every change of authority or the passing of the baton of leadership ended in blood did it?
No, it wasn't...and that's what the importance of sons was all about.
post #147 of 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

At what point does a Viking nobleman become too old to engage in personal combat for leadership? Clearly, the Earl has an ego, and he can't allow himself to appear weak, so he's going to fight a weakened Ragnar, confident of victory. But they weren't Klingons, after all. Surely not every change of authority or the passing of the baton of leadership ended in blood did it?

I thought they could have Sons stand in for the.
Oh yeah they are dead :P
post #148 of 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

I thought they could have Sons stand in for the.
Oh yeah they are dead :P
Beheaded and face to butt...hmmm...I wonder who did that? Could it have been Rags and Rollo out for a Halloween prank? Wonder if we'll ever know.
post #149 of 626
I was compelled to purchase the theme song to the show.
post #150 of 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Beheaded and face to butt...hmmm...I wonder who did that? Could it have been Rags and Rollo out for a Halloween prank? Wonder if we'll ever know.
I doubt very much the brothers did the brothers, but we will find out at some point.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › VIKINGS on History