or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › VIEWSONIC PJD7820HD PROJ 3000 LUMENS 1080p 3D using cheap d-link Glasses less than $700
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

VIEWSONIC PJD7820HD PROJ 3000 LUMENS 1080p 3D using cheap d-link Glasses less than $700 - Page 7

post #181 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psythik View Post

The only source I have connected to the projector is my gaming/media center PC via HDMI, so I can't comment on that.

You really should watch Blu-rays on this projector. With a high quality Blu-ray, the picture quality is just stunning, not to mention the sound.

Quote:
True, because the most expensive projectors tend to be the dimmest, since their only intended use is in a dedicated theater. The PJD is much brighter than most projectors -- I'd say easily 3x as much. Also unlike most projectors, it appears to actually output as many lumens as it's rated for. It's possible that you have a bad bulb if its as dim as you claim. The bulb's warranty is good for a year so long as you registered the projector on the ViewSonic website within a month of purchase.

I actually think it's plenty bright already. I often switch to Eco Mode because I find the picture too bright, and I do prefer a darker, smokier image.

Maybe someone else can chime in. Is anybody else able to watch in the daytime?
post #182 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psythik View Post

It shouldn't really matter if your receiver is 3D compatible or not, especially since you're seeing a 3D picture as is. Some 3D sources have more depth than others, with movies tending to have the most "pop". One thing you could do to increase that effect is sit further from the screen. It could also be simply that your left and right are swapped. Your 3D glasses should have a button you can press until the image looks right.
.

not sure i understand this correctly. My understanding was that in order to get 3d my receiver needed to have hdmi 1.3, 1.4, or 1.4a. Anything below that can't handle the data for 3d. If thats the case how can I be getting a correct 3d signal?
post #183 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okechukwu View Post

You really should watch Blu-rays on this projector. With a high quality Blu-ray, the picture quality is just stunning, not to mention the sound.
I've been meaning to buy a Blu Ray player but after blowing all my savings on this projector it's just not in my budget. Thankfully there's plenty of 1080p content available on the internet; even though the quality isn't as good it's still better than DVD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz330 View Post

not sure i understand this correctly. My understanding was that in order to get 3d my receiver needed to have hdmi 1.3, 1.4, or 1.4a. Anything below that can't handle the data for 3d. If thats the case how can I be getting a correct 3d signal?
That only applies to Frame Sequential 3D (a.k.a. Full HD 3D). When using TaB/SbS/Checkerboard, it doesn't matter what connection you use, since it requires no more bandwidth than a 2D 1080p picture. Even VGA would work for this type of 3D. This should help you understand:
Code:
2D 1080p:                  2,073,600 pixels rendered
3D 1080p, TaB/SbS/ChkrBrd: 2,073,600 pixels rendered (or ~1,036,800 per eye)
3D 1080p, Frame Seq:       4,147,200 pixels rendered (or 2,073,600 per eye)
3D 720p, Frame Seq:        1,843,200 pixels rendered (or 921,600 per eye)
Now you can see why Frame Sequential 3D requires HDMI 1.4, since it uses twice the bandwidth as 2D. However, 1.4 only supports Frame Seq 1080p @24Hz, which is fine for movies but unacceptable for games. HDMI 2.0 will include support for full 1080p 3D, so cutting the resolution in half per eye in order to obtain 1080p 3D will soon be a thing of the past.

When it comes to 720p, since it doesn't require as much bandwidth you can use Frame Sequential 3D just fine and still get 60Hz. And like I said before, only Frame Seq requires HDMI 1.4. I would advise against running this projector @720p, though, because it makes the image quite muddy. From personal experience 1080p TaB is the way to go to get the sharpest 3D picture on this projector @60Hz.
Edited by Psythik - 7/22/13 at 6:25pm
post #184 of 372
I'm getting some disappointing "rings" on my projection now. It kind of looks like there is some film on a mirror or something. I took out the lamp and carefully cleaned the glass where the light comes out of. The glass is perfectly clean now, but this did not solve the problem. Maybe there is some gunk on the bulb itself? I'll take some pictures tonight when it's dark so it'll show up better.

The "rings" are darker areas than they should be. When I say darker, I mean like I'm losing 1/4 the brightness there. Also, some rainbow refraction is showing up on the screen too in some of the areas. This is not rainbow effect, but the light being broken up into the light colors because of refraction through something, which is why I think it is something that can be cleaned off.

However, I don't know how to safely take apart the project to clean it without voiding my 3 year warranty. I probably technically voided it by cleaning the glass on the lamp, but I did a neat job so it's not noticeable. Taking the rest of it apart, though, looks intimidating and might result in breaking a plastic tab or 2 because it's latched together tight; this, I'm sure, would definitely void my warranty.

Any ideas, or anyone know how to easily open it up more to clean it?

Btw, it is not dark spots (like from dust or something); it's more like long streaks that have an arch, which is why I said rings.
post #185 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psythik View Post

I've been meaning to buy a Blu Ray player but after blowing all my savings on this projector it's just not in my budget. Thankfully there's plenty of 1080p content available on the internet; even though the quality isn't as good it's still better than DVD.
That only applies to Frame Sequential 3D (a.k.a. Full HD 3D). When using TaB/SbS/Checkerboard, it doesn't matter what connection you use, since it requires no more bandwidth than a 2D 1080p picture. Even VGA would work for this type of 3D. This should help you understand:

You might want to indefinitely postpone buying a Blu-ray player and discs. Right now I am seriously on the fence as to whether HD streaming isn't superior to Blu-ray. It didn't seem that way on my regular plasma TV, but somehow on this projector it does. Often times HD streaming from Netflix, Prime, VUDU, etc simply blows Blu-ray away. This is particularly true when comparing newer streaming content with old material formatted to Blu-ray disc. Streaming wins in most cases. Also, I'm not an audiophile but I notice that streaming audio is usually superior with respect to sound quality on 5.1 channel content.

I suppose all this means that physical media and the hardware that plays it are going to be obsolete in the near future. I'm considering not buying anymore DVD's or Blu-rays. I do find streaming more convenient, easier to access and more enjoyable. Plus it's portable. You can watch from wherever you are, on multiple devices, without lugging discs around.
post #186 of 372
Here are the pictures. Now you can see what I mean. Sorry for them being out of focus; it's hard to take pictures of it, I guess. Adding this to my previous post, what do you guys think?

And I know this is behind the lens, because I cleaned the lens and it didn't do anything. it's definitely somewhere internal.

Right now it's still bearable and I only notice it when the screen gets bright. Dark colors come out just fine, but lighter ones like yellow, white, beige, etc are noticeable. Able to be cleaned or is it burn spots?






post #187 of 372
It almost looks like sheets fluttering in the breeze. Or an unmade bed. I haven't noticed anything like that. If it were me I'd probably return it for a new one. Although I don't know what the cutoff is. I've had mine a little over a month. Messing with the warranty means you'll go several weeks without it I suppose.
post #188 of 372
Unfortunately, it's just after Newegg's 30 day return, but I do have the 3 year warranty on it. However, if it's something stupid like a film on some glass somewhere, it seems like a waste to use up my warranty on that. I'd want to save that for something expensive, like the lamp or circuit board.
Edited by ptbcomposer - 7/24/13 at 7:29am
post #189 of 372
Based on a few of the comments, my sense is that this would NOT be a good solution for a ceiling mounted projector: is that a fair summary of many of your findings?

I see that some posters thought that having it mounted lower than 8' would work.

My ceiling is 7'2". Currently I've got an old Infocus ceiling mounted with the lens at about 6'4" off the ground. I could extend/lower that mount a bit, I believe. How much keystoning would be required if mounted in that 6' range?
Edited by Jilali - 7/25/13 at 7:45pm
post #190 of 372
There is really no offset with this projector. So if lens is ceiling mounted at 6'4" the top edge of the screen would need to be the height give or take an inch or two to avoid any keystoning.
post #191 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okechukwu View Post

You might want to indefinitely postpone buying a Blu-ray player and discs. Right now I am seriously on the fence as to whether HD streaming isn't superior to Blu-ray. It didn't seem that way on my regular plasma TV, but somehow on this projector it does. Often times HD streaming from Netflix, Prime, VUDU, etc simply blows Blu-ray away. This is particularly true when comparing newer streaming content with old material formatted to Blu-ray disc. Streaming wins in most cases. Also, I'm not an audiophile but I notice that streaming audio is usually superior with respect to sound quality on 5.1 channel content.
After seeing a couple of Blu Rays I wholeheartedly disagree. With the exception of Google Fiber, ISPs aren't even capable of producing enough bandwidth to stream Blu Ray quality films. The high level of compression needed to stream 1080p over your conventional cable/DSL connection absolutely demolishes the subtle details that Blu Ray is capable of showing. And don't even get me started on sound quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptbcomposer View Post

Here are the pictures. Now you can see what I mean. Sorry for them being out of focus; it's hard to take pictures of it, I guess. Adding this to my previous post, what do you guys think?

And I know this is behind the lens, because I cleaned the lens and it didn't do anything. it's definitely somewhere internal.

Right now it's still bearable and I only notice it when the screen gets bright. Dark colors come out just fine, but lighter ones like yellow, white, beige, etc are noticeable. Able to be cleaned or is it burn spots?
Are these spots moving like heat waves? I had that issue at first but it went away after a month. However it wasn't nearly as visible as your pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilali View Post

Based on a few of the comments, my sense is that this would NOT be a good solution for a ceiling mounted projector: is that a fair summary of many of your findings?

I see that some posters thought that having it mounted lower than 8' would work.

My ceiling is 7'2". Currently I've got an old Infocus ceiling mounted with the lens at about 6'4" off the ground. I could extend/lower that mount a bit, I believe. How much keystoning would be required if mounted in that 6' range?
Well it has a 7% upward throw; while it doesn't sound like a lot, it's enough so that ceiling mounting is really your only option. Unless, that is, you place it on a table in front of you or do what I've described in the next paragraph.

My setup's temporarily mounted behind me because I'm moving soon. Placed only 3½ft from the ground and ~9½ft away from the wall, the top of the image is ~8ft from the ground and the bottom is 3½ft from the ground. I have to recline in my seat in order to view the image comfortably and keep my head from getting in the way. So obviously a ceiling mount is the way to go. Your ceiling mount is low enough off the ground that this projector could work quite well with it.

Assuming a ceiling mount, with this PJD the distance from the ground the projector is is the same distance the top of the image will be. Like you said, yours is 6'4" off the ground. You do the math.
Edited by Psythik - 7/27/13 at 7:26pm
post #192 of 372
Update on my problem...I took apart everything I could very carefully without really leaving any evidence I was in there (They might see a nick or 2 on the casing, but they'd have to be real *******s to even notice).

I took off and cleaned the color wheel. I took off the lens and zoom. Nothing in there...pristine. I opened up the lamp assembly and directly looked at the inside and also at the actual bulb. Perfect.

So, what the hell??

No, they are not moving. They are not spots. I would call them dark streaks. This is really a mystery. What's even more of a mystery is that it literally happened overnight. One day the picture was perfect, and the next day it had these streaks.

Unless anyone has any good ideas, I think I'm just going to deal with it and see if it gets worse, then start considering using my warranty. If it is the lamp somehow, I have until May of next year. Still, that's a long time to go with an annoying screen imperfection.
post #193 of 372
anyone get the 3d to work on a ps3? I can't get the ps3 to recognize the projector as a 3d projector.
post #194 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psythik View Post

After seeing a couple of Blu Rays I wholeheartedly disagree. With the exception of Google Fiber, ISPs aren't even capable of producing enough bandwidth to stream Blu Ray quality films. The high level of compression needed to stream 1080p over your conventional cable/DSL connection absolutely demolishes the subtle details that Blu Ray is capable of showing. And don't even get me started on sound quality.

That's why I'm so surprised that streaming is beating Blu-ray. It's unmistakable. Not all Blu-rays but some Blu-rays simply can't hold a candle to HD streaming. The only problem is that I can't always hold the 1080p or even 780p connection and from time to time my connection will revert back to SD. That might be fixed with an upgrade to a higher speed connection.
post #195 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz330 View Post

anyone get the 3d to work on a ps3? I can't get the ps3 to recognize the projector as a 3d projector.

Yes, I use a PS3. You just have to adjust your settings:

post #196 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okechukwu View Post

Yes, I use a PS3. You just have to adjust your settings:


i tried that, the issue is that i don't get past the 1080p part. once i select that it finishes my setup. I wonder if its because my receiver isn't 1.4a capable.
post #197 of 372
Well then obviously the next step is to hook the PS3 directly to your projector and see what happens. If 3D works, time for a receiver upgrade.
post #198 of 372
The early reviews and 3yr warranty have me interested but I was wondering if anyone has personally dealt with Viewsonic support before? How difficult or easy was it?

Has anyone that's sensitive to rainbow effects seen the projector in action yet?
post #199 of 372
I'm pretty sure I mentioned rainbows a few pages back. But just in case:

I consider myself very sensitive to them but with this projector they're not visible enough to annoy me. They're only obvious when viewing light objects against a dark background. And in 3D they almost completely disappear.

Some movies are worse than others. The Nolan Batman trilogy and original Star Wars trilogy are a few examples where rainbows show up everywhere. But in bright, colorful movies like Wreck It Ralph, Scott Pilgrim, and Ted, I hardly see them at all. YMMV, but it's nowhere near the level of annoying as older DLP TVs. For the price I paid, I can put up with rainbows showing up here and there every so often.
post #200 of 372
Hey again,

I figured out what was wrong with my projector. The inside of the light tunnel is peeling away. Not good. However, I was able to blow it out with compressed air and get a good picture again. I'm not sure how much of a problem this will be over time. I image the stuff that's peeling away is the cheap material they used to turn the inside into a mirror, so eventually enough will be gone so that a lot of light will be lost over time. It's probably getting too hot and melting it just enough.

The next thing. To get to the light tunnel I had to take the color wheel off. In the process I broke my color wheel!! Luckily, I found a replacement on Ebay, and I'm going to install it tomorrow when I get it. It's the same color segments and 7200rpm, so I'm pretty sure its the right one. Then I should have a like-new projector again, except that eventually I'll need a light tunnel for it. Obviously at this point, I've voided my warranty, but from what I've read, it's not worthwhile to even bother with Viewsonic warranty.

Also, I went ahead and bought a second unit. I'll use the new one now when it gets here, and save the "used" one for when the new one breaks. Then I'll take advantage of the warranty on the new one and I won't be without a projector for 2 months (yes, that's how long it will take; you're dreaming if you think they will actually get it back to you in 2 weeks).

Technically I'm $1400 into these projectors, but for that price I'm learning how to fix them myself, I'll have 2 more or less new projectors, and I'll never have to be without a projector when something breaks.

I'm also learning from my mistakes of running the unit too hot. The fan on the projector is not efficient enough, so I think on the used one I will mod it with a better fan off of newegg and see if I can reduce the light tunnel deterioration.
post #201 of 372
These projectors seem to be made of the cheapest materials possible (which is probably why they don't cost much), so be careful!
post #202 of 372
That's strange, even in the Arizona heat with the thing sitting in a cabinet, I don't have any issues (and I've put 420 hours into this thing so far). I keep my thermostat 78°, and the room can get into the upper 80s with the projector on. I'm assuming you either have a bad fan or live at an altitude above 1500m. If it's not noisy then it's probably broken. Have you tried turning on High Altitude mode? That'll make the fan spin faster.

What are your temps? (You can find them in the service menu). Mine hover around 380.

So envious that you can afford two of these. If it were me, I'd project them side-by-side and use Eyefinity for a super-wide view in games! Or watch Napoléon in it's original Polyvision glory!
post #203 of 372
First of all, I live in Louisiana, so not exactly high altitude! I know the fan spins, and its quiet. It looks like it's spinning fast enough. I'm not at my apartment where the projector is right now, so I can't tell you the temp, but I'll look at it after I get the color wheel in tomorrow. I'll figure something out. Luckily, not enough of the light tunnel peeled off to make any noticeable difference.

Technically, I can't really afford it, but I'm living off a moderate inheritance check right now and working part time at Radio Shack. I pretty much break even each month and have enough in the bank to be comfortable. I look at it as spending $1400 on a really good projector that I have extra parts for.

Eyefinity looks interesting, but it seems that it's not very useful with only 2 "screens". The middle piece would be missing.

However, what you say is an interesting idea. I can use the extended desktop display in the same way. I just can't think of a way to make it useful since eyefinity deliberately extends ATI graphics for games, but probably can't do anything for movies. I don't really do much PC gaming anymore except for emulators, so it's not really worthwhile right now. Something to think about in the future though.
post #204 of 372
Doesn't matter that you're not at a high altitude given your circumstance. Like I said, all it does is make the fan spin faster. Since yours is obviously malfunctioning it would be a good idea to enable it. (Just don't do this with a normal-functioning fan because overcooling can shorten the bulb's life.)

Eyefinity doesn't need 3 screens to work. You can use any number of displays you want and it will work with no "middle piece missing". Back when I was using 22" monitors I would play DiRT 3 & Flight Simulator X all the time with 2 screens. The only games you'd normally need 3 displays for are FPSes because 2 screens would put the crosshairs dead center between the two of them. But since projectors don't have borders like LCDs do that's a non-issue. You also would benefit from using Eyefinity with movies that are wider than 16:9 because it would eliminate the black bars on the top and bottom, giving you a larger picture.

Give it a try, you might end up liking it. The only hard part would be aligning the projectors so there's no obvious seam visible between the two.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that you should look up the fan's RPM as well from the service menu. Let me know when you get your projector fixed and I'll post my RPMs to see if your fans are in fact spinning fast enough. Just cause it looks like it's spinning fast doesn't mean it is.
Edited by Psythik - 8/4/13 at 6:29pm
post #205 of 372
So from an image quality perspective, is this projector essentially the same as the Acer H6510BD? Is the consensus that the firmware is slightly better on the Acer (i.e. the Acer can do 3d conversion) Besides the dual HDMI ports (which mean nothing to me) is there anything truly different from a hardware perspective? Is there a reason for the differing contrast ratios between the two? I think some reviews/comments may have suggested that the Acer is the better model of the two. I'm not planning on using this in a dedicated home theater, but I do have an essentially black environment (albeit with white walls) and a screen.


I'm looking to upgrade from an old 720p Epson Home Cinema 700. Will I see a great improvement in contrast ratio?
post #206 of 372
So my remote just straight-up died on me for no reason whatsoever. Replaced the batteries with known good ones and still nothing. I pointed the IR LED at a camera to make sure the issue wasn't the projector; no light shines from it at all, so it's definitely broken. I don't know if the warranty covers this, and I can't find anywhere to buy a spare.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. Hopefully this is covered by the warranty so I don't have to shell out the $25.

EDIT2: Took it apart and it looks like the soldering on the IR LED is bad. I think I can fix it, but how could this happen?

EDIT3: Theory confirmed. Looks like more than just the projector was made as cheap as possible,
Edited by Psythik - 8/5/13 at 1:29pm
post #207 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock1213 View Post

Is there a reason for the differing contrast ratios between the two?
Each manufacturer has their own method of measuring contrast, so the numbers mean jack squat. Don't even bother looking at them.

Given the issues with this projector that are starting to arise, I can no longer recommend it unless you're handy enough to fix any problems you may run into. Spend the extra dough and go with the Acer.
post #208 of 372
So, you beleive these manufacturing defects are not just due to glitches on the first batch, and are more symptomatic of a bigger issue? Is the Acer better built as it is on the same assembly line? I did read through the entire Acer thread the other day and did not see this many issues. With that said, I have never seen an IR remote go bad, even on things built on a tighter budget than this projector. That really makes me second-guess either projector. Also, is Viewsonic's warranty coverage as bad as I've heard?
post #209 of 372
Really good review finally posted over at Projectorreviews.com by Art.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/viewsonic/pjd7820hd/index.php

As to quality control issues - the projector has a 3 year warranty including 1 year on the lamp and 1 year express exchange and it's the lowest cost 1080P projector on the market. Those two things alone are a pretty remarkable combination given the price (also the lowest in the market for 1080P). We know the Acer is basically the same projector but it seems that the viewsonic is the better choice as it's cheaper, does basically the same thing with the same specs & might also have slightly better performance over the Acer per Art's review. Plus, hey - it's black.

This seems not to get mentioned as much but for 3D the ability to deliver as many lumens as the Viewsonic can muster I think is a rather huge ADVANTAGE that this little cheap projector has compared to a dedicated HT projector that delivers amazing black levels but is woefully underpowered for 3D.
post #210 of 372
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › VIEWSONIC PJD7820HD PROJ 3000 LUMENS 1080p 3D using cheap d-link Glasses less than $700