or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › Which movie will win or should win the A.A. BP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which movie will win or should win the A.A. BP - Page 3

Poll Results: Which movie will win or should win the A.A. BP

This is a multiple choice poll
  • 0% (0)
    Amour
  • 34% (9)
    Argo
  • 0% (0)
    Beasts of the Southern Wild
  • 7% (2)
    Django Unchained
  • 11% (3)
    Les Miserables
  • 3% (1)
    Life of Pi
  • 15% (4)
    Lincoln
  • 15% (4)
    Silver Linings Playbook
  • 15% (4)
    Zero Dark Thirty
26 Total Votes  
post #61 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

And because they're paid handsomely means they should just shut up? I don't get this sorry. Awards (not just the oscars) are simply here to recognize a quality of work. They work in a business where they usually get (very) rich, but there are artists as well in that business.

I'm going to use myself as an example. Worked in radio all my life and I've turned down the state's "hall of fame" award...twice. Don't believe in them and in the process, pissed a LOT of people off. Called it for what it was...a self-serving event to glean money. I have what my girlfriend calls my "award hallway" leading to the bedroom. It has all my awards given to me over the years by public service groups. Awards where I made a difference. I have since told even these groups that awards aren't necessary and haven't accepted any in the last couple of years.

And while we're at it, I read where Michelle Obama gave away the Oscar (via screen) to the best picture. Just...wow.
post #62 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Soooo what about watching athletes winning an award?

Don't watch those shows either. For somebody heavily connected to the media, I really don't keep connected at home. I'm happy to watch my movies and listen to my music. A guy's got to disconnect at some point. wink.gif
post #63 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post



And while we're at it, I read where Michelle Obama gave away the Oscar (via screen) to the best picture. Just...wow.

If it makes any difference, the Academy invited her, just like they did when Laura Bush made her appearance in 2002. The people whose heads are exploding on the Internet (not saying yours is) seem to have forgotten that fact. Okay then, not now.

I think the Academy should keep it in-house, but I don’t get a say.
post #64 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

I'm going to use myself as an example. Worked in radio all my life and I've turned down the state's "hall of fame" award...twice. Don't believe in them and in the process, pissed a LOT of people off. Called it for what it was...a self-serving event to glean money. I have what my girlfriend calls my "award hallway" leading to the bedroom. It has all my awards given to me over the years by public service groups. Awards where I made a difference. I have since told even these groups that awards aren't necessary and haven't accepted any in the last couple of years.

And while we're at it, I read where Michelle Obama gave away the Oscar (via screen) to the best picture. Just...wow.

Well I as Bob Hope would say, "I've never wanted an Oscar, although they are reassuring to an actor who doesn't know how really great he is"biggrin.gif
post #65 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Because so many outstanding films were in Oscar contention this year, I watched this year's Oscars telecast live and loved it. Sorry guys, but I thought Seth MacFarlane was a hoot and he can sing and dance too. Who knew?smile.gif I suspect that Tine Fey and Amy Poehler will host the Oscars next year but if they decide to bring back MacFarlane that will be just fine with me.

When Ben Affleck's Argo was announced as the Best Picture Oscar winner I cheered. What a wonderful way for the Academy to give a big Bronx cheer to the Director's Guild for passing over more deserving directors in favor of a couple of art house films, Amour and Beasts of the Southern Wild and another, which I thought was badly paced, Life of Pi. Anyway, huzzahs to Affleck! The Academy owes him a Best Director nomination one of these days, at least.

I found myself sweating blood over the Best Supporting Actress winner's announcement. I really wanted Anne Hathaway to win for her luminous performance as the doomed Fantine in Les Miserables and she did! In this connection, I thought the Les Mis production number with most of the film's cast was wonderful stuff, the Oscars at their best.

As happy as I was that Jennifer Lawrence won the Best Actress Oscar for her performance as the flawed heroine in Silver Linings Playbook, I had hoped, but didn't hold out much hope, that Jessica Chastain might win for her great performance as the driven CIA agent in Zero Dark Thirty.

Christoph Waltz's winning his second Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his performance as the lethal doctor in Django Unchained excited me almost as much as Hathaway's win. I thought Waltz's was clearly the best among the nominated Best Supporting Actor performances.

Finally, I had long since discounted any serious possibility that Daniel Day-Lewis wouldn't win another Best Actor Oscar. His performance as Abraham Lincoln in Lincoln was one of the best, perhaps the very best, performances in the history of film.

Great post, gwsat. I thought Seth MacFarlane knocked it out of the park in all respects, and was thrilled to see Ben's Argo win and Jennifer Lawrence win (just 'cause I adore her and her personality). You're right that the Les Mis number was terrific, and I don't even usually care for the musical numbers. It was one of the best Oscar shows overall I can remember.

I think Daniel Day-Lewis got in the funniest line when he mentioned he had been scheduled to play Margaret Thatcher. That was a nice moment with Meryl and the audience.

I would add that seeing and hearing Shirley Bassey sing "Goldfinger" was an awesome moment for me, as it's always been my favorite Bond song, and she is such a showstopping performer, even after all these years. Wow, lady. I'm sad that somehow I was away and missed Norah Jones performing. I adore that girl and her music. Adele was fantastic as always. Love her too.
post #66 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

If it makes any difference, the Academy invited her, just like they did when Laura Bush made her appearance in 2002. The people whose heads are exploding on the Internet (not saying yours is) seem to have forgotten that fact. Okay then, not now.

I think the Academy should keep it in-house, but I don’t get a say.

Agree. Democrat/Republican...it doesn't matter. Anybody with a lick of sense should know full-well it's not going to play well in the press. As I'm fond of saying in my line of work, "perception is reality."
post #67 of 95
Movie: The Movie




Movie: The Movie: 2V


post #68 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I was pulling for my underdogs: Beasts of the Southern Wild and Quvenzhané Wallis...
Alas, not to be.

Primarily because of the fondness you have expressed for Beasts of the Southern Wild, I have placed the DVD of the film on reserve with my local library system. It will be a while before I get a copy but I will watch it, I promise. I hope I will be pleasantly surprised and like it. If it happens, it won't be the first time.
post #69 of 95
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

Agree. Democrat/Republican...it doesn't matter. Anybody with a lick of sense should know full-well it's not going to play well in the press. As I'm fond of saying in my line of work, "perception is reality."
Be careful, infractions have been handed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Primarily because of the fondness you have expressed for Beasts of the Southern Wild, I have placed the DVD of the film on reserve with my local library system. It will be a while before I get a copy but I will watch it, I promise. I hope I will be pleasantly surprised and like it. If it happens, it won't be the first time.
It shows the dirty side of life and that the innocent, regardless of odds, will inherit the earth (as the bible would say).

The little girl is astonishing and unforgettable.
I have never seen a more perfect performance of one so young.
I will never forget "Hushpuppy."wink.gif
post #70 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

It shows the dirty side of life and that the innocent, regardless of odds, will inherit the earth (as the bible would say).

The little girl is astonishing and unforgettable.
I have never seen a more perfect performance of one so young.
I will never forget "Hushpuppy."wink.gif

As I recall you saw Zero Dark Thirty at least in part because of my rave review. Turn about is fair play.smile.gif
post #71 of 95
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

As I recall you saw Zero Dark Thirty at least in part because of my rave review. Turn about is fair play.smile.gif
That is what friendship is all about.wink.gif
post #72 of 95
Thread Starter 
post #73 of 95

I actually thought the Acads were somewhat enjoyable this year around biggrin.gif
post #74 of 95
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

I actually thought the Acads were somewhat enjoyable this year around biggrin.gif
The only thing I can say is "we saw your boobs, we saw your boobs."
post #75 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

I actually thought the Acads were somewhat enjoyable this year around biggrin.gif

I guess I think young, As noted in an earlier post, I thought Seth MacFarlane was terrific. I really enjoyed the Oscars this year, this was the best Oscars show I have seen in a while. Surely no one would claim that last year's show, with the catatonic James Franco and the understandably embarrassed Anne Hathaway, was as good as this year's edition.
post #76 of 95
Didn't watch the award show but just looked up the boob song. I'm glad I skipped out.
post #77 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

The only thing I can say is "we saw your boobs, we saw your boobs."

I thought you stopped watching after that routine. confused.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I guess I think young, As noted in an earlier post, I thought Seth MacFarlane was terrific. I really enjoyed the Oscars this year, this was the best Oscars show I have seen in a while.

A big...

+1
post #78 of 95
Watched some of the controversial parts on Hulu,and must say MacFarlane was good indeed.Yes he can sing and dance,unlike Mr. Potter.I agree with some of the critics though about some of the humor,namely about the nine year old girl and Clooney,and the Lincoln joke as well.They were just tasteless.Charlese Theron wow,Adele naw.
post #79 of 95
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post


I thought you stopped watching after that routine. confused.gif
I did stop watching after that routine.
The wife called me back upstairs when it came time for the BP and some of the other major awards.
She sat thru it all, but I didn't want to see anymore of SM.
Although Ted was mostly a hoot, I can't forgive him for what he did here.
post #80 of 95
I thought the "we saw your boobs" song was sexist. Should have balanced it out with a "we saw your butt" song honoring all the guys who have had their posteriors exposed for their art.

In fact, with cable television (not the premium variety), when you see the "nudity" disclaimer in the opening credits you know you're going to get a dude-butt shot somewhere down the line. Because the sight of lady-boobs is forbidden since it could bring about the fall of civilization.
post #81 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

A big...

+1

Thanks. I am glad I'm not the only one here who thought MacFarlane did a great job. I told my daughter, who also loved this year's Oscars show, that I had always thought I had a sense of humor that was main stream but now I don't know. I thought MacFarlane's joke about John Wilkes Booth didn't work very well but wasn't particularly offensive. I loved MacFarlane's follow up. When it became clear his joke had laid an egg he said, "Too soon, huh?"smile.gif As Abraham Lincoln has been dead nearly 150 years, I have to think many of the people professing to have been offended by MacFarlane's joke were simply looking for a justification for their preconceived notion that his performance would be offensive, Lighten up, gang, it was the Oscars show, not high mass in Westminster Abbey.
post #82 of 95
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I thought the "we saw your boobs" song was sexist.
It's more than that IMO.

He was taunting, like a 6th grade boy who notices his female classmates are starting to get "bumps."
He gave the impression a major reason to see a non-porn movie is to have a chance to see ta-tas of serious actresses in serious roles.
Porn aside, films are NOT about that.
post #83 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I thought the "we saw your boobs" song was sexist. Should have balanced it out with a "we saw your butt" song honoring all the guys who have had their posteriors exposed for their art.
.

Except we see just as many, if not more, “butt” shots of women as we do men...and...I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I can't forgive him for what he did here.

Please, step away from the Bushmill. Or, maybe you need to start another bottle. tongue.gif
post #84 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

It's more than that IMO.

He was taunting, like a 6th grade boy who notices his female classmates are starting to get "bumps."
He gave the impression a major reason to see a non-porn movie is to have a chance to see ta-tas of serious actresses in serious roles.
Porn aside, films are NOT about that.

Don't forget that we do have a thread here on AVS discussing the hottest female we've seen in a film lol
post #85 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Lighten up, gang, it was the Oscars show, not high mass in Westminster Abbey.

I have to give you another big...

+1

As Rick Nelson found out the hard way - “You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.”
post #86 of 95
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Please, step away from the Bushmill. Or, maybe you need to start another bottle. tongue.gif
That reminds me...have only a half bottle; it's time to make another run to my local cathedral.

Drop by tonite and we can watch Holy Motors on BD in my HT while imbibing.
post #87 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post


The wife called me back upstairs when it came time for the BP and some of the other major awards.


Scott! You A**hole! Get up here! They’re showing the BP! And leave that f**king Bushmill alone!


wink.gif

biggrin.gif
post #88 of 95
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Scott! You A**hole! Get up here! They’re showing the BP! And leave that f**king Bushmill alone!


wink.gif

biggrin.gif
No, it's more like this:
DUDE! Have you lost your ability to climb stairs tonight yet????
post #89 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I guess I think young, As noted in an earlier post, I thought Seth MacFarlane was terrific. I really enjoyed the Oscars this year, this was the best Oscars show I have seen in a while. Surely no one would claim that last year's show, with the catatonic James Franco and the understandably embarrassed Anne Hathaway, was as good as this year's edition.

That was two years ago. Last year was Billy Crystal, who was even worse. Not a single thing he did or said could remotely be considered funny or entertaining by anyone with an active pulse.
post #90 of 95
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

That was two years ago. Last year was Billy Crystal, who was even worse. Not a single thing he did or said could remotely be considered funny or entertaining by anyone with an active pulse.
Isn't that a reflection of the show's professional writers?
I believe the show is scripted.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › Which movie will win or should win the A.A. BP