or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Tech Talk › Why the difference - 3-D effect on Mitsu. 3-D DLP vs. new LG 3-D
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why the difference - 3-D effect on Mitsu. 3-D DLP vs. new LG 3-D

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
I posted this in the Mitsubishi forum but didn't get a response so I thought someone here might be able to help.

I have a 2009 Mitsu 73837 set which has 3-D. Because of the active shutter glasses I found the picture too dim to watch. In addition the 3-D effect did not seem as good as it could be.So much so that I disconnected the 3-D box.

My picture had a lot of depth (looked like 3-D went out through the back of the set, not the front) but almost nothing coming out in front of the set ( like the 1959-1960's 3-D movies). I recently saw my Step-son's new set, an LG 3-D model, and it was bright and had a great 3-D picture. It had a cartoon character that seemed to be about 3 ft. out in front of the TV and about 18" in front of my eyes; like Disneyworld 3-D exhibits where objects seemed to hang in the air and are almost touchable. There was an enormous difference between my 3-D and his 3-D and he didn't have to use active shutter glasses, he used Passive glasses, nor did his picture dim while wearing the glasses. I am trying to find out if my set can somehow duplicate his.
post #2 of 15
That 3D "pop out" effect you're looking for is almost completely dependent on the content. A current trend has been to limit this and to make the 3D give the viewer a "you are there" experience. Examples include Avatar, Prometheus, The Avengers, etc. Of course, many 3D sources and displays have their own depth settings which may be explored by the user.
post #3 of 15
Your picture will always be dimmer compared to a passive 3D system. Remember on his set both lenses are open the whole time compared to your glasses which have alternating sides dimming multiple times a second. The effect of this is that the light entering your eye is reduced with active 3D.

As for pop-out, just watch whatever he was watching. You'll get the same results.

Your set will have better clarity watching a blu-ray as you'll get full 1080p resolution and his set only gets half, since the left and right images are both shown at all times so only half the resolution is possible.
post #4 of 15
nick

you should post questions or info that you know.


LG is in full 1080p like active shutter glasses. its not half
post #5 of 15
Not a great idea to start the "LG passive is full HD or not" debate. It's been done to death. The fact is that whether you're getting all the vertical resolution is beside the point. All passive sets except for the 4K ones are going to have dark lines running across the screen. The dark lines cause jaggies on diagonals. Sitting close, you can see both. Back up and you are much less likely to notice them. It's a tradeoff. I love my LG LM7600 for its brightness and how easy it is on the eyes. But the jaggies are there and mildly distracting in some scenes. The contrast is also not as good as my other 3D displays, all of which are active. Still, I prefer to watch 3D on the LG for a lot of content, because of the crazy bright image (compared to the others). The other consideration is the age of the lamp in the Mitsubishi. If it's an old lamp it's going to be less bright. My sister has a 737 series Mits and with a new lamp it's pretty bright. And because it's checkerboard 3D, there are no issues with jaggies like the passive displays. I find 3D on her Mits a very satisfying experience when the lamp is not too old. And no ghosting on a DLP. The LG is very good not to ghost, but it's not in the same league as the Mits.
post #6 of 15
If you are unable to disable DLP-Link in your Mits TV's settings you should be using DLP-link glasses instead of IR. IR glasses will encounter inherent color issues due to the DLP-Link flash not being able to be filtered out.

I have no issues with beautiful and accurate 3D using a current model 82" Mits DLP and X104 Active Shutter Glasses.
One thing Mits has going for it over an LG passive display is >80" in 3D for UNDER $15,000.
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazye84 View Post

nick

you should post questions or info that you know.


LG is in full 1080p like active shutter glasses. its not half

Then shouldn't you know that passive technology is only 540 horizontal lines of resolution in each eye?
post #8 of 15
I have an older model Mits DLP (73833) which required the Mits 3D adapter and the 3D on that was no where near as impressive as the 3D I get on my newer DLP (92840).

I recently got an LG 3d TV for the bedroom and I find the 3D to be really good on that as well, much brighter but both are very enjoyable to me.
post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Not a great idea to start the "LG passive is full HD or not" debate. It's been done to death. The fact is that whether you're getting all the vertical resolution is beside the point. All passive sets except for the 4K ones are going to have dark lines running across the screen. The dark lines cause jaggies on diagonals. Sitting close, you can see both. Back up and you are much less likely to notice them. It's a tradeoff. I love my LG LM7600 for its brightness and how easy it is on the eyes. But the jaggies are there and mildly distracting in some scenes. The contrast is also not as good as my other 3D displays, all of which are active. Still, I prefer to watch 3D on the LG for a lot of content, because of the crazy bright image (compared to the others). The other consideration is the age of the lamp in the Mitsubishi. If it's an old lamp it's going to be less bright. My sister has a 737 series Mits and with a new lamp it's pretty bright. And because it's checkerboard 3D, there are no issues with jaggies like the passive displays. I find 3D on her Mits a very satisfying experience when the lamp is not too old. And no ghosting on a DLP. The LG is very good not to ghost, but it's not in the same league as the Mits.

I have a new bulb but still too dim for me to enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirelessGuru View Post

If you are unable to disable DLP-Link in your Mits TV's settings you should be using DLP-link glasses instead of IR. IR glasses will encounter inherent color issues due to the DLP-Link flash not being able to be filtered out.

I have no issues with beautiful and accurate 3D using a current model 82" Mits DLP and X104 Active Shutter Glasses.
One thing Mits has going for it over an LG passive display is >80" in 3D for UNDER $15,000.

My Mitsu is a 3 yr. old 73837 with the 3-D box and glasses. 3-D works but nothing has ever popped out but the depth is very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrix1973 View Post

I have an older model Mits DLP (73833) which required the Mits 3D adapter and the 3D on that was no where near as impressive as the 3D I get on my newer DLP (92840).

I recently got an LG 3d TV for the bedroom and I find the 3D to be really good on that as well, much brighter but both are very enjoyable to me.


Perhaps that is the reason. There were a lot of intitial complaints about this series when it came out (and later) but I'm trying to find out if I can get the same "wow" factor that he has.
post #10 of 15
For pop-out, try Imax Under the Sea (the Potato Cod scene), or Monsters vs Aliens (lots of scenes). Many 3D films have very few scenes with pop-out shots.
post #11 of 15
On my Mitsu 65" (the lowest end model) I get plenty of pop out when the content has it. I'm using RF glasses with Optoma emitter. I have some sync issues with my DLP Link glasses on it though.
post #12 of 15
Additional point on the above. I use a panasonic 3D BD player and it has checker board output. I no longer have Direct TV so I don't use the adapter anymore.
post #13 of 15
ahhh...3D tradeoffs, lol. The experience of 3D , when it comes to depth or stuff coming out will seem better on diff t.v.'s depending what the tech is. For instance, I have a viewsonic pjd6211 projector shooting a 75 inch picture on my wall. Now, the thing about projection 3D is that the size of the image does effect how well the 3D is when it comes to rear projected things. I have a friend who has a 32 inch 3D t.v. and for being so small compared to my projected image, he get way better popping out then i would if i had my projector only projecting a 32 inch image on the my wall. You can even have a better 3D experience on your 3D t.v. at home more then if you saw that same movie at a theater. Diff technology does 3D diff. 3D, when it comes to rear projection and maybe front projection like older DLP t.v.s, seems to carry it's effect on the size of your screen that the 3D image is on. I need to make my screen as big as i can to get the best overall 3D effect. And, yes, I do have a giant 75 screen but i have to use shutter glasses, which block 50% light to begin with not to mention the loss of brightness when i switch my projector to 3D mode but even with all that i Love having a giant screen! it's a trade off. 3D t.v.,more brightness, 3D projector far less brightness but BIGGER image vs the price of buying a 3D t.v. with the same screen size. At the end of this year i hope to switch to a far brighter projector with better resolution and every thing, there by making my 3D experience far more enjoyable. I wouldn't dream of trading my, less brighter and other downsides of my 75 inch screen, for a 50 or 60 inch 3D t.v. that would have far better brightness and so on for anything. I like size. Some will vary on that opinion but thats why we have so many choices. I've had my projector for almost 3 years and the price i spent for that projector then i can spend on a newer projector that would eat my current one for breakfast. It's awesome to seethat the price of 3D has come down so much in past years.
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels55 View Post

Your set will have better clarity watching a blu-ray as you'll get full 1080p resolution and his set only gets half, since the left and right images are both shown at all times so only half the resolution is possible.

All Mitsubishi rear projectors use wobulation and checkerboard format for the display, so they are half resolution for each eye as well. However, the checkerboard format is a clever way to hide the resolution loss compared to the venetian blind effect of passive 3D sets.
post #15 of 15
I have a Samsung(same technology as the mitsubishi--3d dlp) and I get good pop-out action when it is there. The example I can give is the 3d version of Journey to the center of earth, where there is a bug with huge whiskers in the very beginning. When I sit about 6-8 feet in front of the tv, I see the whiskers right where I can virtually touch them. The other thing I noticed in my Samsung is that if the right-left eye image is reversed, the picture goes back instead of front. In my 3d glasses, there is a button which will adjust it right.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: 3D Tech Talk
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Tech Talk › Why the difference - 3-D effect on Mitsu. 3-D DLP vs. new LG 3-D