or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PlayStation 4 - Page 277

post #8281 of 15423
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

I haven't read about it yet but here is a link.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7370/amd-announces-trueaudio-technology-for-upcoming-gpus

This is probably the best tech news so far. Proper audio placement and sound that actually feels like it is all around you, even with $3 ear buds.
post #8282 of 15423
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

I haven't read about it yet but here is a link.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7370/amd-announces-trueaudio-technology-for-upcoming-gpus

Hmm, I wonder what they mean by "trueaudio support". If they actually have that DSP in there, I wonder why they waited so long to mention it. Regardless of whether it's backed by the same hardware or just a software solution, I've spoken to an insider that assured me that "DSP won't be an issue". Although now I wonder if that's because they had it all along. tongue.gif
post #8283 of 15423
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyderulz View Post

Grrr, was counting on the PS4 taking the PS3s place in the entertainment center...3D playback was the only thing keeping it there. The 360 is staying for kinect games for the kid. This is unfortunate...thanks for posting it!

I posted this earlier, but Engadget claimed Sony confirmed to them that the PS4 will "definitely" come with both 3D Blu-ray playback.

However, Sony then confirmed no 3D at launch

The Engadget article is 4 days old, so they must have figured out they couldn't do it in time.

I know people primarily want this as a gaming platform, but missing some key ingredients is pretty lazy.
post #8284 of 15423
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

This is probably the best tech news so far. Proper audio placement and sound that actually feels like it is all around you, even with $3 ear buds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Hmm, I wonder what they mean by "trueaudio support". If they actually have that DSP in there, I wonder why they waited so long to mention it. Regardless of whether it's backed by the same hardware or just a software solution, I've spoken to an insider that assured me that "DSP won't be an issue". Although now I wonder if that's because they had it all along. tongue.gif

I really do hope this leads to improved audio. Audio on video games still has a ton of room for improvement. I would love games to sound as good as the best blu-rays. Even games like GTA V which have regular songs on the radio stations, the music quality isn't all that great.
post #8285 of 15423
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Hmm, I wonder what they mean by "trueaudio support". If they actually have that DSP in there, I wonder why they waited so long to mention it. Regardless of whether it's backed by the same hardware or just a software solution, I've spoken to an insider that assured me that "DSP won't be an issue". Although now I wonder if that's because they had it all along. tongue.gif

It is the name of the tech. Remember that youtube video with the fantastic positional audio? That is the tech that has now been confirmed for the PS4.

They had to wait for AMDs NDA to expire before they could confirm it (since it is part of their newest tech) It was confirmed at an AMD event.
post #8286 of 15423
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post


I really do hope this leads to improved audio. Audio on video games still has a ton of room for improvement. I would love games to sound as good as the best blu-rays. Even games like GTA V which have regular songs on the radio stations, the music quality isn't all that great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post


I really do hope this leads to improved audio. Audio on video games still has a ton of room for improvement. I would love games to sound as good as the best blu-rays. Even games like GTA V which have regular songs on the radio stations, the music quality isn't all that great.

I'm absolutely certain next gen audio will be a hell of a lot better in many different ways, from talking to the people responsible for creating it.

The trueaudio DSP would be a pleasant surprise to me though!
post #8287 of 15423
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

It is the name of the tech. Remember that youtube video with the fantastic positional audio? That is the tech that has now been confirmed for the PS4.

They had to wait for AMDs NDA to expire before they could confirm it (since it is part of their newest tech) It was confirmed at an AMD event.

Well I'd certainly like to see more info on it, because as it stands there's multiple ways to interpret it.
post #8288 of 15423
The trueaudio dsp is confirmed.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=715035
post #8289 of 15423
Contrast review is up on GameTrailers. Got an 8.5. Freebie games rule at launch?
post #8290 of 15423
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

The trueaudio dsp is confirmed.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=715035

That stops short of mentioning the same DSP as the r290 is being used, but I'm trying to confirm that right now.
post #8291 of 15423
MY PS4 HAS SHIPPED!!!!!
post #8292 of 15423
Thread Starter 
The TruAudio news is significant. The tech hardware chip will allow game makers to offset substantial audio calculations that previously were done by the CPU onto this hardware DSP chip.

Stuff like reverb effects and 3D positional audio no longer have to fight for resources with A.I. routines, game program calculations and the like - they now have their own chip to take care of that. We'll get better audio with barely any performance hit if done well.

Here's a popular example of quality 3D audio:

post #8293 of 15423
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

MY PS4 HAS SHIPPED!!!!!

Supremely happy for you.

Supremely jealous of you.

Click Refresh --> wait --> *sigh* --> repeat in 5 mins.
post #8294 of 15423
Still not shipped. They obviously don't go by first come first serve...
Quote:
Order Received - Jun 10, 2013 8:10:19 PM
post #8295 of 15423
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Here's a popular example of quality 3D audio:

That isn't just an example, that is the tech that AMD is using to power their true audio.
post #8296 of 15423
I'd like to hear the same audio clip without the processing for comparison.

And, maybe it's just me, but I never got the sense that any sound was coming from in front of me. It all sounded either behind or above me. That could just be because I'm listening on earbuds, but I thought that with this technology it didn't matter.
post #8297 of 15423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

Still not shipped. They obviously don't go by first come first serve...

I'd assume your guarantee was based on first come first served. Shipping more than likely has everything to do w/ what warehouse its coming out of, where you live, and when UPS shows up to grab everything.

As a Prime member from Amazon I've had stuff get marked "Preparing to ship" the evening before it was due. Which can be unnerving if you are really sweating getting that particular item.
post #8298 of 15423
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post

I'd assume your guarantee was based on first come first served. Shipping more than likely has everything to do w/ what warehouse its coming out of, where you live, and when UPS shows up to grab everything.

As a Prime member from Amazon I've had stuff get marked "Preparing to ship" the evening before it was due. Which can be unnerving if you are really sweating getting that particular item.

I've even had games never come out of the "Not Yet Shipped" state until the day after it was left on my doorstep. That being said, mine is still "Not yet shipped" and I'm sweating it.
post #8299 of 15423
Like I said to someone else. Amazon loves to Overnight ship me things instead of just using 2 day shipping and risking a day early arrival. I expect this will happen here. I've never seen it say something was not shipped when it was. I get text updates when all the stuff ships.
post #8300 of 15423
I would really hate to be working at that Amazon warehouse today... Just looking at that Stack of PS4's must be totally depressing... I'd be using those sick days...
post #8301 of 15423
My June 17 order going to a friend is preparing to be shipped. My June 11 order going to me is not yet shipped.

Knack got good reviews on Kotaku and Destructoid. They actually put it on my radar, but I'm sure that it'll be a Plus game sooner than any others.
post #8302 of 15423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

Like I said to someone else. Amazon loves to Overnight ship me things instead of just using 2 day shipping and risking a day early arrival. I expect this will happen here. I've never seen it say something was not shipped when it was. I get text updates when all the stuff ships.
It's technically not overnight shipping. It's still ground for me, they just know exactly how long it will take, so they don't take any chances.
post #8303 of 15423
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

That being said, mine is still "Not yet shipped" and I'm sweating it.

Same, minus the sweat, for now. Too cold today to sweat!
post #8304 of 15423
Mine has Shipped as well!! Here's to hoping it shows up tomorrow!!
post #8305 of 15423
[quote name="Yrd" url="/t/1459375/playstation-4/8280#post_23943982" I get text updates when all the stuff ships.[/quote]

Amazon description doesn't say anything about shipping updates as it relates to leaving Amazon. 'Out For Delivery' seems to be the first thing they say you'd get.

************
Sign-up for 'Shipment Updates via Text' to receive an SMS text message when your package is out for delivery, delivered or encounters a problem. Text messages will be sent between 10 AM and 11 PM Eastern time for all packages shipped after you complete the sign up process. This service is supported only for packages shipped from Amazon fulfillment centers and does not include packages shipped by Amazon Marketplace Sellers or Amazon Merchants.
************
post #8306 of 15423
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Hmm, I wonder what they mean by "trueaudio support". If they actually have that DSP in there, I wonder why they waited so long to mention it. Regardless of whether it's backed by the same hardware or just a software solution, I've spoken to an insider that assured me that "DSP won't be an issue". Although now I wonder if that's because they had it all along. tongue.gif

Probably referencing the hand that will come out for every licensed copy/disc

smile.gif
post #8307 of 15423
I got an email saying it had shipped. My phone tells me the instant I get one.
post #8308 of 15423
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post

Amazon description doesn't say anything about shipping updates as it relates to leaving Amazon. 'Out For Delivery' seems to be the first thing they say you'd get.

************
Sign-up for 'Shipment Updates via Text' to receive an SMS text message when your package is out for delivery, delivered or encounters a problem. Text messages will be sent between 10 AM and 11 PM Eastern time for all packages shipped after you complete the sign up process. This service is supported only for packages shipped from Amazon fulfillment centers and does not include packages shipped by Amazon Marketplace Sellers or Amazon Merchants.
************


Well being as I get the text updates I can tell you what happens. It sends me a text that says it's out for delivery and the estimated time of arrival. Then it also texts me again when it has been delivered.
post #8309 of 15423
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

The TruAudio news is significant. The tech hardware chip will allow game makers to offset substantial audio calculations that previously were done by the CPU onto this hardware DSP chip.

Stuff like reverb effects and 3D positional audio no longer have to fight for resources with A.I. routines, game program calculations and the like - they now have their own chip to take care of that. We'll get better audio with barely any performance hit if done well.

Here's a popular example of quality 3D audio:


The thing is, it's not entirely clear what trueaudio actually is. On PC, there's a dedicated DSP on certain Radeon cards, and an API to access it. Beyond that they seem to be relying on devs and middleware to use that API to access the DSP. They've given examples of ways that can be done without really going into detail about what the chip is actually capable of and specifically responsible for. They've also gone through great pains to establish that devs will use middleware that will allow them to design once and utilize the DSP if present, and fall back to software if not.

So PS4 feature true audio tech could mean they have the same DSP, could mean they're just using the same API and the APU will do the processing, or some combination of both. It doesn't really say anything specific about what games will use it and how.

If the same DSP is present, it's a big deal and potentially stomps all over the X1. If it's just software hooks, it's still nice for compatibility, but probably doesn't enable anything that they wouldn't have done without it.
post #8310 of 15423
First example of a SSD in action, it seems to offer significant improvements to load times.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=u8_nt2Dwf78
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PlayStation Area