or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PlayStation 4 - Page 325

post #9721 of 15399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post

I really hope it helps with the crashing issues on BF4...although I have my doubts it will.

I doubt a system patch will do anything for BF4, that will have to come from DICE.
post #9722 of 15399
So quick question, I thought game patches were supposed to download/install while in standby for plus members?

My PS4 was in standby since Monday night and when I turned it on last night it started downloading and then updated KZSF from 1.04 to 1.05. Apparently it didn’t do so while in standby.

I left it in standby today to see if the FW was downloaded when I get home. I assume it’ll never install those, since you need to accept the new TOS/EULA each time.
post #9723 of 15399
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

So quick question, I thought game patches were supposed to download/install while in standby for plus members?

My PS4 was in standby since Monday night and when I turned it on last night it started downloading and then updated KZSF from 1.04 to 1.05. Apparently it didn’t do so while in standby.

I left it in standby today to see if the FW was downloaded when I get home. I assume it’ll never install those, since you need to accept the new TOS/EULA each time.

I know Sony mentioned that it would download in Standby but not sure if it actually installs until it is out of standby.
post #9724 of 15399
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post

Does Sony release a change log?

They do, but they also have a history of FW’s including undocumented fixes.
post #9725 of 15399
well spent 20mins on dashboard, psn store using dummy account and so far so good since update. Won't get more time to test until tonight, but that's the longest I have had the system going without random freezes and shutdowns.
post #9726 of 15399
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

So quick question, I thought game patches were supposed to download/install while in standby for plus members?

My PS4 was in standby since Monday night and when I turned it on last night it started downloading and then updated KZSF from 1.04 to 1.05. Apparently it didn’t do so while in standby.

I left it in standby today to see if the FW was downloaded when I get home. I assume it’ll never install those, since you need to accept the new TOS/EULA each time.

As I understand it standby mode gives you faster time to dashboard and the ability to purchase and install games from a mobile device. Oh and controller charging. I'm pretty sure your system will still turn on in the early AM and do its patch/sync thing in the morning just like your PS3 used to if you were a PS Plus member. I'd have to check it to see, but this morning I had a IP Conflict on my iPad. I can only surmise my powered off PS4 booted at some point just like my PS3 did. My PS4 is currently not in standby.
post #9727 of 15399
Is there a way to delete your captured screenshots and videos on the PS4?
post #9728 of 15399
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

So quick question, I thought game patches were supposed to download/install while in standby for plus members?

My PS4 was in standby since Monday night and when I turned it on last night it started downloading and then updated KZSF from 1.04 to 1.05. Apparently it didn’t do so while in standby.

I left it in standby today to see if the FW was downloaded when I get home. I assume it’ll never install those, since you need to accept the new TOS/EULA each time.

I thought that odd too. I had BF issues, go figure, and swapped over to KZ to be greeted by an update message.I'm wondering if it was either released outside the normal window or if that's why my PS4 was on when I got home. Though it only queued the patch when I entered the game.
post #9729 of 15399
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes View Post

Is there a way to delete your captured screenshots and videos on the PS4?

Yes. I deleted over 6gb worth of stuff.

Settings and I believe its under Application Management or something like that. You will see whats taking up space and you can select the folder for the saved videos.
post #9730 of 15399
So in the. Notifications, Downloads section, if I've highlighted something then hit the Options button I get the ability to Delete it. Will that Delete the file itself from the PS4 or just the item from the list? I ask because the list is rather long and getting cumbersome to navigate as I install multiple games, apps, and updates. I'd like to clean it up but don't want to inadvertently delete anything I want.
post #9731 of 15399
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post

As I understand it standby mode gives you faster time to dashboard and the ability to purchase and install games from a mobile device. Oh and controller charging. I'm pretty sure your system will still turn on in the early AM and do its patch/sync thing in the morning just like your PS3 used to if you were a PS Plus member. I'd have to check it to see, but this morning I had a IP Conflict on my iPad. I can only surmise my powered off PS4 booted at some point just like my PS3 did. My PS4 is currently not in standby.

It’s drawing way too much wattage for that, plus I thought that’s ½ the purpose of the whole ARM chipset, to download and install while in standby. The rest being to do so in the background while the OS/Games do their own thing unimpeded.

If it’s just booting and checking ad odd hours for updates, there’s really no reason to be powered up as much as it is while in standby.
post #9732 of 15399
Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post

Yes. I deleted over 6gb worth of stuff.

Settings and I believe its under Application Management or something like that. You will see whats taking up space and you can select the folder for the saved videos.

You can also get to it from your profile, third button to the right under the avatar. Use the options button while over a file to bring up a menu and you can delete it.

I keep forgeting, but options almost always gives you options for stuff like that (you can delete old notifications this way - it only deletes the notifications not the downloads / requests / ect).

After 20 years start and select are burned into my memory. Share and Options is taking a while to learn... I can only imagine how much a shock the Steam Contoller is going to be.
post #9733 of 15399
Is there a way to not have the PS4 always record? I dont remember seeing any setting for it.
post #9734 of 15399
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

It’s drawing way too much wattage for that, plus I thought that’s ½ the purpose of the whole ARM chipset, to download and install while in standby. The rest being to do so in the background while the OS/Games do their own thing unimpeded.

If it’s just booting and checking ad odd hours for updates, there’s really no reason to be powered up as much as it is while in standby.

Exactly why I'm not really bothering with putting it in standby. So far I'm only using standby when I know I'll hop back on it in a few hours. If I'm 'Done' with it for the day, I turn it off.
post #9735 of 15399
Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post

Is there a way to not have the PS4 always record? I dont remember seeing any setting for it.

No, it's always recording a rolling 15 min to the DVR. Pressing record dumps the last 15 min to a file and creates a new start point.

There's no way to really do start or end points, just dump a recording since the last start point or 15 min buffered since then, which ever was first.
post #9736 of 15399
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post

Exactly why I'm not really bothering with putting it in standby. So far I'm only using standby when I know I'll hop back on it in a few hours. If I'm 'Done' with it for the day, I turn it off.

I kind of wish there was a setting to go from standby to off, either with a button press or a setting after X min.

In Standby the fan still runs in a low RPM state, and if the unit was hot it’ll stay on high and ramp down until it’s blowing out cool air in that low state. That’s really nice on the APU when you compare it to a shutdown, which turns the fan off while the APU is still pretty hot.

Maybe they disabled auto-installing to relieve pressure on the servers; much like how the social features were turned off for a few days.
post #9737 of 15399
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

I kind of wish there was a setting to go from standby to off, either with a button press or a setting after X min.

In Standby the fan still runs in a low RPM state, and if the unit was hot it’ll stay on high and ramp down until it’s blowing out cool air in that low state. That’s really nice on the APU when you compare it to a shutdown, which turns the fan off while the APU is still pretty hot.

Maybe they disabled auto-installing to relieve pressure on the servers; much like how the social features were turned off for a few days.

A buddy of mine (who is something of a gadget guru) swears that in standby the fan will eventually turn itself off. If this is actually the case I'm all for suspend as I agree; cooling down the components before turning everything down is probably a good thing. I will experiment with this the next time I'm gaming. I'll suspend it and see if the fan is still whirring the following morning.
post #9738 of 15399
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

I doubt a system patch will do anything for BF4, that will have to come from DICE.
Yep, somehow I was able to play Rush last night for the first time, but still no Conquest, which is what I love. Game is crazy realistic. However, the game still crashed and I got an error message.

How do we know if the new PS4 update has been downloaded and/or installed?
post #9739 of 15399
Can someone please confirm my PS+ assumption for me? 2 of the games that I purchased came with 7-day trials. As I started 1 of them last Friday, it should expire tomorrow. I am leaving for my annual deer hunting trip on Friday and am hoping that, if I let it expire (I turned off auto billing to my CC), I can just load the other 7-day trial when I return. Then I have the 30-day trial from the console available when that runs out. I have already downloaded Resogun and Contrast. So - even if my PS+ expires temporarily, those will still be there for me as soon as I re-start my subscription, correct?
post #9740 of 15399
I'm going to buy an extended warranty (not because of all the failure reports, I do this for most of my expensive electronics) but, I can't decide if I want to buy the Sony extended warranty or go the SquareTrade route. Not sure if everyone is aware of this but, SquareTrade offers more plans and reduced rates on there warranties for Amazon purchases, you just search for and buy the warranty on Amazon instead of SquareTrade.com.

Here's some comaprisons:

All these plans start fromt eh date of purchase, not the end of the original manufacturer's warranty.

Sony Plans:
Protection Plan (3 yrs) = $49.99
Accidental Damage Protection Plan (3 yrs) = $59.99

SquareTrade Plans on Amazon:
2-Year Game Console Protection Plan ($350-400) = $32.62
4-Year Game Console Protection Plan ($350-400) = $74.99
3-Year Game Console Accident Protection Plan ($350-400) = $55.96

SquareTrade Plans from Squaretrade.com (http://www.squaretrade.com/videogames-warranty):
3-Year Protection Plan ($350-399.99) = $53.99
3-Year Accident Protection Plan ($350-399.99) = $79.99
This appears to be the only game console plan they offer on there website, the 2 and 4 year plans must be exclusive to Amazon.

Has anyone had to ever file a claim with SquareTrade, was there service good? I bought an extended warranty for my Panasonic BD player from SquareTrade but, I haven't had to file a claim for anything so far. I think I'm leaning towards either the Sony Accidental plan or the SquareTrade Accidental plan. I just need to decide if I'd rather deal with Sony or SquareTrade if warranty claims are ever needed. Obviously, if you didn't purchase your PS4 through Amazon then it looks like the Sony prices are the best.

Any thoughts?
Edited by rolltide1017 - 11/20/13 at 8:07am
post #9741 of 15399
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post

A buddy of mine (who is something of a gadget guru) swears that in standby the fan will eventually turn itself off. If this is actually the case I'm all for suspend as I agree; cooling down the components before turning everything down is probably a good thing. I will experiment with this the next time I'm gaming. I'll suspend it and see if the fan is still whirring the following morning.

I think it’s just so low you can’t tell. I pulled the console out of its place on my stand and couldn’t hear the fan with even my ear against it, but sure enough felt air on my face. Lick of the finger, and yup, a very very slight movement of cold air coming out the back vents on the right side behind the PSU/APU/Fan system.

Would have never known if someone here didn’t mention it.

The PS3 slim actually did this as well, but only when remote play was enabled through the system settings. If it was enabled, it was never truly off, even though it seemed to power down and show the red off light. The fan ran the same way there.

If you never messed with remote play, off was off like the power down option on PS4.
post #9742 of 15399
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

I'm going to buy an extended warranty (not because of all the failure reports, I do this for most of my expensive electronics) but, I can't decide if I want to buy the Sony extended warranty or go the SquareTrade route. Not sure if everyone is aware of this but, SquareTrade offers more plans and reduced rates on there warranties for Amazon purchases, you just search for and buy the warranty on Amazon instead of SquareTrade.com.

Here's some comaprisons:

All these plans start fromt eh date of purchase, not the end of the original manufacturer's warranty.

Sony Plans:
Protection Plan (3 yrs) = $49.99
Accidental Damage Protection Plan (3 yrs) = $59.99

SquareTrade Plans on Amazon:
2-Year Game Console Protection Plan ($350-400) = $32.62
4-Year Game Console Protection Plan ($350-400) = $74.99
3-Year Game Console Accident Protection Plan ($350-400) = $55.96

SquareTrade Plans from Squaretrade.com (http://www.squaretrade.com/videogames-warranty):
3-Year Protection Plan ($350-399.99) = $53.99
3-Year Accident Protection Plan ($350-399.99) = $79.99
This appears to be the only game console plan they offer on there website, the 2 and 4 year plans must be exclusive to Amazon.

Has anyone had to ever file a claim with SquareTrade, was there service good? I bought an extended warranty for my Panasonic BD player from SquareTrade but, I haven't had to file a claim for anything so far. I think I'm leaning towards either the Sony Accidental plan or the SquareTrade Accidental plan. I just need to decide if I'd rather deal with Sony or SquareTrade if warranty claims are ever needed. Obviously, if you didn't purchase your PS4 through Amazon then it looks like the Sony prices are the best.

Any thoughts?

So in order to purchase the SquareTrade plan through Amazon, is it required to have purchased the PS4 on Amazon?
post #9743 of 15399
Quote:
Originally Posted by ileff View Post

I was having a problem with the optical disc. It sounded like it was stuck periodically trying to eject a disc and it wouldn't allow me to insert a disc.

Fixed it by turning the ps4 upside down. rolleyes.gif

Sorry typo I meant PS4. I keep the PS4 horizontal. The issue started by it ejecting a disc and flashing. Then it went into an endless loop of sounding like it was trying to eject a disc (even though empty) about every 10 seconds. It would not accept a disc. I pulled the power plug then restarted same thing. Only out of desperation I tried flipping the PS4 upside down and that fixed the issue.

Just mentioning it in case it can help somebody else...
post #9744 of 15399
Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post

Yes. I deleted over 6gb worth of stuff.

Settings and I believe its under Application Management or something like that. You will see whats taking up space and you can select the folder for the saved videos.

I realized last night that there is no where in settings that you can go and see every file saved on the HDD. When you go to "System Storage Management" under settings, you only see the saved game files for your games, other users' saved game files will not show up unless you log into those accounts. I have a second account on my PS4 that is not connected to a PSN account for my kids to use to play games (they are 6 and 3 yrs old) and I was hoping to be able to upload there saved games from my account to my cloud storage for backup. This isn't possible since they don't show up when I'm logged in. This will also make managing HDD space more of a pain, you'll have to log into each account on your PS4 to delete certain files instead of being able to do it all from one spot, unless I'm missing something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

So in the. Notifications, Downloads section, if I've highlighted something then hit the Options button I get the ability to Delete it. Will that Delete the file itself from the PS4 or just the item from the list? I ask because the list is rather long and getting cumbersome to navigate as I install multiple games, apps, and updates. I'd like to clean it up but don't want to inadvertently delete anything I want.

It only deletes it from the notifications list, I've done it many times. There are 2 ways to delete a game; you can find the game in the media bar and hit Options, there is a delete selection there or you can go into settings under "System Storage Management".

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

In Standby the fan still runs in a low RPM state, and if the unit was hot it’ll stay on high and ramp down until it’s blowing out cool air in that low state. That’s really nice on the APU when you compare it to a shutdown, which turns the fan off while the APU is still pretty hot.

I'll have to pay attention more but, I don't think mine does this. Yes, the fan remains on if I'm downloading something or have just been playing a game but, from what I can tell, it turns off eventually. If not, then it is so quiet that I can't tell if it is on, I can clearly hear my DVR when everything is off but not the PS4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodolfan View Post

So in order to purchase the SquareTrade plan through Amazon, is it required to have purchased the PS4 on Amazon?

That's what it says in the product description, I don't know how strict they are about that though. It's near the bottom of the page under the "Things to know" section of the product description: "SquareTrade Protection Plans sold on Amazon only cover products purchased from Amazon within the last 30 days."
Edited by rolltide1017 - 11/20/13 at 8:39am
post #9745 of 15399
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

I doubt a system patch will do anything for BF4, that will have to come from DICE.

I agree but am hoping since I heard DICE came out and said the 1.50 patch is what caused some of the BF4 issues.
post #9746 of 15399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post

I agree but am hoping since I heard DICE came out and said the 1.50 patch is what caused some of the BF4 issues.

They pulled that statement.shortly after that. It wouldn't surprise me (Wii U day one update caused a few issues) but shifting the blame like that is never wise, especially for a server issue.
post #9747 of 15399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post

So still trying to hammer down the notifications, but I've seen it tell me something has been added to downloads and something has been installed. Was it the first one you saw?
Thats awesome for Sony. If they are making a profit on this bad boy that can only mean good things for us consumers. $18 profit per unit...$18mil day one cool.gif

Er... retailers aren't selling it for free, there's shipping, there's fixing units that go bad, etc. They are almost certainly losing money although it shouldn't be a huge hit and they should be easily making it up on games with even just a single game per.
post #9748 of 15399
Ok so I just now got the software update for 1.51 but not paying attention I noticed something, my Harmony 890 Pro was controlling the PS4. I do have the harmony adapter for the ps3. While not all 43 functions work I think its only a matter of time. I can turn the system on and off with it, along with a small number of other features. This is something I haven't seen reported yet but wanted to share. Still curious why my update was so late getting to me as I have had one of the first few since I got mine early. I guess I was just assuming it would get updates sooner or at least on time with everyone else. But at least now we have hope for the harmony remote extension to function fully with the new PS4 instead of having to purchase a new adapter, which has been the case for everything so far with the new console. Keep your heads up folks looks like we are going to start seeing more of the multimedia side of things now.
post #9749 of 15399
I used SquareTrade on several of my cell phones since I buy international unlocked phones and actually had to use the warranty since the screen behind the glass went out when I dropped it. They got it fixed and back to me in a week with no issues or questions of it even being rooted. I even marked it to make sure I got the exact one back and I did. I was very very happy with them.

Also an update on the Harmony adapter. I went through all the functions on my 890 Pro remote and the power button and aspect ratio are the only commands that are working currently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

I'm going to buy an extended warranty (not because of all the failure reports, I do this for most of my expensive electronics) but, I can't decide if I want to buy the Sony extended warranty or go the SquareTrade route. Not sure if everyone is aware of this but, SquareTrade offers more plans and reduced rates on there warranties for Amazon purchases, you just search for and buy the warranty on Amazon instead of SquareTrade.com.

Here's some comaprisons:

All these plans start fromt eh date of purchase, not the end of the original manufacturer's warranty.

Sony Plans:
Protection Plan (3 yrs) = $49.99
Accidental Damage Protection Plan (3 yrs) = $59.99

SquareTrade Plans on Amazon:
2-Year Game Console Protection Plan ($350-400) = $32.62
4-Year Game Console Protection Plan ($350-400) = $74.99
3-Year Game Console Accident Protection Plan ($350-400) = $55.96

SquareTrade Plans from Squaretrade.com (http://www.squaretrade.com/videogames-warranty):
3-Year Protection Plan ($350-399.99) = $53.99
3-Year Accident Protection Plan ($350-399.99) = $79.99
This appears to be the only game console plan they offer on there website, the 2 and 4 year plans must be exclusive to Amazon.

Has anyone had to ever file a claim with SquareTrade, was there service good? I bought an extended warranty for my Panasonic BD player from SquareTrade but, I haven't had to file a claim for anything so far. I think I'm leaning towards either the Sony Accidental plan or the SquareTrade Accidental plan. I just need to decide if I'd rather deal with Sony or SquareTrade if warranty claims are ever needed. Obviously, if you didn't purchase your PS4 through Amazon then it looks like the Sony prices are the best.

Any thoughts?
post #9750 of 15399
Quote:
he 1.51 update is also required and improves software stability. It also refines the user interface by clearly indicating when a user downloads a game and a game patch at the same time.
Read more at http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129825-PS4-1-51-Update-Rolls-Out-UI-Refinements#UIgweSGXFwirFpjy.99
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PlayStation Area