or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › inFAMOUS: Second Son - a spectacular looking super hero exclusive (PS4)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

inFAMOUS: Second Son - a spectacular looking super hero exclusive (PS4) - Page 2

post #31 of 695
Uncanny valley!! :-o
post #32 of 695
They really made the shift away from an art style and into photo realism. Might make the game more popular overall but I'll miss the comic book/fantasy look they were doing before. Don't get me wrong, if this thing plays as good as it looks so far then I'm on board. Maybe I'm suffering from too many games going for realistic looks and settings? Ha, maybe I'm just getting old and set in my ways. Get off my lawn!
post #33 of 695
Well to be fair they already had a fairly realistic look going on with Cole in infamous 2:



Zeke too:



This seems to be a continuation of that trend. I think part of the "cartoonish" look if infamous 1 and 2 weren't the main characters but rather the monsters/enemies/bystanders. As we haven't really seen a whole lot of enemies in the new game they might continue with that trend.

edit
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

The facial animation is pretty darn good as well. Someones been taking notes from Naught Dog!...

Ubisoft has some pretty good facial animations going on with Watchdogs as well. From the gifs you posted though the typical dead eye phenomenon seems alive and well (pardon the pun). If they can get characters eyes looking more life-like they'll really be in the uncanny valley.
Edited by pcweber111 - 7/23/13 at 6:58am
post #34 of 695
part of the reason the first two games were more cartoonish is the power of the current gen consoles. If you really try to get photorealistic on the current gen consoles, not sure they can really handle that, and still have the world be so open and everything. With more power in these new machines, realism will be more achievable, while still having a huge open world to explore that doesn't run at 10 frames per second.

Even GTA V has a bit of a cartoony look to it, to a degree.
post #35 of 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Well to be fair they already had a fairly realistic look going on with Cole in infamous 2

Sure they did. But I also remember they changed the look of Cole after the internet blew up at the re-design. Seems like there was an art department tug of war going on at Sucker Punch while they were developing the second game. InFamous 2 was a mix with the characters going closer to photo and the city, enemies, and some story cut scenes getting the art treatment. First game was total comic inspired art style, which doesn't appeal to everyone's tastes. They want to sell more copies this go round, and I think they chose correctly in wanting characters and places to look like your neighbors and neighborhood. I just hope they sprinkle in a little zany, cool artistic license here and there.
post #36 of 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

part of the reason the first two games were more cartoonish is the power of the current gen consoles. If you really try to get photorealistic on the current gen consoles, not sure they can really handle that, and still have the world be so open and everything. With more power in these new machines, realism will be more achievable, while still having a huge open world to explore that doesn't run at 10 frames per second.

Even GTA V has a bit of a cartoony look to it, to a degree.

Good point. Still seems to me that they weren't too sure how realistic they should've gone in the second game. Sort of kept a foot in both.

Second Son looks fantastic as is, but I'll still miss those hand drawn moving comic panels.
post #37 of 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

Sure they did. But I also remember they changed the look of Cole after the internet blew up at the re-design. Seems like there was an art department tug of war going on at Sucker Punch while they were developing the second game. InFamous 2 was a mix with the characters going closer to photo and the city, enemies, and some story cut scenes getting the art treatment. First game was total comic inspired art style, which doesn't appeal to everyone's tastes. They want to sell more copies this go round, and I think they chose correctly in wanting characters and places to look like your neighbors and neighborhood. I just hope they sprinkle in a little zany, cool artistic license here and there.

Yeah I can agree with that. I enjoyed the look of the first inFAMOUS more than the second or Festival of Blood. Don't get me started on Cole's voice lol.
post #38 of 695
(uncompressed: http://www.gamersyde.com/download_infamous_second_son_smoke_mirrors-30496_en.html )


Hype rising!


infss_new_1_by_gifsandmore-d6g5mmo.gif

infss_new_2_by_gifsandmore-d6g5ng2.gif
Edited by TyrantII - 8/1/13 at 7:10pm
post #39 of 695
I will dust every brain... Hype level increased
post #40 of 695
Thread Starter 
Great video. hopefully we don't have to wait too long into 2014 to play it.


ib2pFqqoYTh8AY.gif
post #41 of 695
first legit reason to own a next-gen console, imo. (have you seen Titanfall ?) biggrin.gif
post #42 of 695
Are they just not done with the environments? While the characters particle and smoke effects look good the environments look very flat and bland.
post #43 of 695
Looks good to me. Pedestrians, army, cars, military vehicals, an El, bright colors, and appears there will be a more suburb / forest area from a few of the shots.

they got some time as well.
post #44 of 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

Are they just not done with the environments? While the characters particle and smoke effects look good the environments look very flat and bland.

My thoughts as well. They do have some time, but the "lived in" feeling from the previous games is missing from the trailers.

Also, Titanfall looks pretty mediocre to me. I don't care about multiplayer only, mainly because I suck. biggrin.gif
post #45 of 695
I agree with what you are saying in regards to those aspects. It is mainly the walls and the certain other areas that look really flat to me. Could just be due to the large open world. Not a big deal, just something that stood out to me, probably more so since the rest looks really good in contrast.

edit: That is a good way of putting it Big Brad.

Just found an example (clicking on picture brings up the large version which shows what I'm talking about better):

post #46 of 695
Thats the picture from the youtube version. There's some pretty terrible compression artifacts and a low bit muddy mess there (which makes trying to determine texture resolution moot). But it do agree that it looks like some of the texture shadow and light mapping isn't apparent there, due to maybe a streaming issue?

Check out the full HD download, it’s much clearer.

This game is still pretty far away, so I'm not too worried. It's already one of the better lookers from E3, so I'm sure they'll iron it out.
post #47 of 695
I will check it out at home. I have only been able to watch youtube videos so far.
post #48 of 695
I just checked myself, and it's very apparent the buildings in the distance and on the right are just placeholders in the HD vid. Compared to the one on the left (fully modeled and textured), they've laughable. There's also a tree in the upper 1/3 roof area that looks like something from PS1 era!

biggrin.gif

My only issue is they seem to be having alasing issues with their alpha effects (think smoke in GT5). Hopefully they clear that up.
post #49 of 695
post #50 of 695
Youtube compression stinks. This trailed bit it with the poor streaming bitrate on the press conference.

Here's a 720P30 uncompressed version from Gamersyde.

http://www.gamersyde.com/download_infamous_second_son_gc_trailer-30574_en.html
post #51 of 695
Photonic Powers? (Showing off that next Gen lighting system SP?) biggrin.gif

JytNWjkP3.gif

iba3QDxllBipTy.gif

edit: was finally able to throw this one up on my 70" and damn if it doesn't look good. Seems they fixed the aliasing issue with alpha transparencies and shaders as well; no more jaggies behind effects and explosions.
Edited by TyrantII - 8/20/13 at 7:11pm
post #52 of 695
Thread Starter 
Yeah, the new build at the show is looking incredible. Here's another.gif from the clip:


post #53 of 695
These last two shots you guys put up are crazy. I wasn't a fan of the original infamous, and I never got that far into the second one, but I am going to have to give this one a shot. Maybe now that I am not a full fledged MS fanboy, I can get in to this one.
post #54 of 695
eek.gif For some reason this topic crashes my phone... I wonder why? biggrin.gif
post #55 of 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

eek.gif For some reason this topic crashes my phone... I wonder why? biggrin.gif

Why? Because you need a new phone!

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/08/21/rewind-theater-infamous-gamescom-trailer

We got a launch incoming in February. Going to be a nice Birthday present!
post #56 of 695
post #57 of 695
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Why? Because you need a new phone!

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/08/21/rewind-theater-infamous-gamescom-trailer

We got a launch incoming in February. Going to be a nice Birthday present!
Heh, my birthday month as well. wink.gif
post #58 of 695
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/infamous_second_son/b/playstation4/archive/2013/05/24/how-sucker-punch-photocopied-actors-for-infamous-second-son.aspx
Quote:
Sucker Punch began the process of digitizing people by recruiting real life extras. The developer put out the call to friends, family, and casting agencies that they were looking for extras to appear in the game. Using an advanced 3D scanning process, the company was able to scan over 75 people in just three days. This means that nearly every citizen you see walking around Sucker Punch's digital version of Seattle is based off a real person. Here's how that process works.









post #59 of 695
Yeah this game looks incredible. I just hope it keeps the infamous feel. It certainly nails the beautiful visuals.
post #60 of 695
I really need to go on an information blackout for this game, I did it with The Last of Us and that worked out wonderfully...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PlayStation Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › inFAMOUS: Second Son - a spectacular looking super hero exclusive (PS4)