or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › Killzone: Shadow Fall (PS4)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Killzone: Shadow Fall (PS4) - Page 9

post #241 of 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post

So the season pass is basically all coop, think it will be worth it?

No idea, but I do appreciate me some good Coop. Especially story Coop.

If it's a widely expanded version of Operations from KZ3 it could be some pretty special.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #242 of 993
I may wait and see how this shakes out. The multiplayer maps part of the season pass bugs me. They said MP maps are free but yet some are in the pass? Sounds like horde mode is the coop part.

http://www.stfuandplay.com/story/content/killzone-shadow-fall-season-pass-dlc#.UoEpZqNMEb0

Online co-op expansion packFocusing on team play and intense combat, the online co-op expansion pack adds a new co-operative game mode in which you and up to three online friends must survive against impossible odds. Fight waves upon waves of enemies in four new arena maps, featuring a unique leveling system and new unlocks.Three online co-op map packsEach map pack consists of two brand-new arena maps you can play in co-op mode with your friends. Please note that these arena maps will only work with the online co-op expansion pack.Two additional multiplayer expansion packsWe’ll reveal more about these additional multiplayer expansion packs when Killzone Shadow Fall’s launch date nears. Suffice to say they’ll offer many hours of additional multiplayer thrills!
post #243 of 993
Sounds to me the new maps are Coop maps only, IE won't be allowed for Warzone of free for all.

Thats fine, as I really don't want map packs fracturing the main MP. Charging for COOP/COOP maps (which tend to be less popular/in demand) is fine by me.

That said, I don't buy season passes without seeing content first.


Well, expect for BF

redface.gif
post #244 of 993
post #245 of 993
Since when did an 8 become a terrible score? Lol. Fanboy wars are so funny.
post #246 of 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

Since when did an 8 become a terrible score? Lol. Fanboy wars are so funny.

Since metacritic started to carry weight. Even publishers use it to judge if the developers deserves a bonus. Review scores have trended higher ever since.
Edited by PENDRAG0ON - 11/13/13 at 8:12am
post #247 of 993
Metacritic is a joke. A bad marketing tool that accepts weighted reviews from any jamoke with a webpage. Can't believe that some developers jobs are affected by this poorly conceived site.
post #248 of 993
Yup, prepare for Octodad 6's because of it's "poor controls"

smile.gif
post #249 of 993
Ugh, sounds like they took a huge step backwards in game play. One of the big draws of Killzone 2 to me was the gameplay/gunplay is so much better than the the COD's, BF's, Halo games. From the IGN review:
Quote:
"Also eliminated is one of the most well-known and divisive components of the franchise: its incredibly heavy-feeling movement. Mercifully, that mystifying sluggishness is long gone, making Shadow Fall faster and snappier than Killzone has ever been, making way for a shooter that feels, at its core, a lot more like Halo than Killzone 3. "

I still want to play. The enemies still look like they react nicely to being shot as well. I just really enjoyed the huge visceral feeling that KZ2 has that the other games don't.

edit: I see they got Ray Liotta to do a live action trailer for Killzone biggrin.gif
Edited by freemeat - 11/13/13 at 9:20am
post #250 of 993
That worrys me a bit, especially since it was never a problem in the first place. Input lag / deadzones, sure; but not the gun weight.

LOL @ Polygon's 5/10, and rated below Knack. Those clowns don't even try to hide their biased click bait.
post #251 of 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

That worrys me a bit, especially since it was never a problem in the first place. Input lag / deadzones, sure; but not the gun weight.

LOL @ Polygon's 5/10, and rated below Knack. Those clowns don't even try to hide their biased click bait.

I noticed they aren't consistent on BF4 reviews and COD reviews between the two systems either.
post #252 of 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

Metacritic is a joke. A bad marketing tool that accepts weighted reviews from any jamoke with a webpage. Can't believe that some developers jobs are affected by this poorly conceived site.

Dude,

Do you even know what it takes to get on Metacritic? Do you personally know the application process? Not just any website or publication gets on there, cause if they did, there would be a HELL of a lot more review scores for games.

Although I agree with some of the negatives of Metacritic, there are indeed some positives. In the end though reviewing is subjective, and what one reviewer may like another may not. That is what is interesting about reviewing games.

Personally, if a game is getting generally bad scores, generally average scores, or generally good scores, and the meta-average shows that, then that says something about the game from a glance, but that does not mean that it's the "holy grail" of opnions, just a reference point.

Anyhow, my apologies for digressing, but a statement like that deserves a reply as there are A LOT of good publications and sites on there.

Cheers,

Outtie
Edited by The Outcast - 11/13/13 at 11:59am
post #253 of 993
Didn't think they were all bad, never said so. But the sites that you've never heard of on metacritic are full of reviews that are neither objective nor professional and they affect peoples jobs in the industry. The 14-17 reviews you see for all the PS4 exclusives today came from press that were at the Sony Review Event in NYC. As more pop up next week or so you'll begin to see what I mean as the fan club sites get their PS4's from Amazon and start their flow of opinion. Metacritic says they have a high barrier of entry but it certainly doesn't show.
Quote:
Personally, if a game is getting generally bad scores, generally average scores, or generally good scores, and the meta-average shows that, then that says something about the game from a glance, but that does not mean that it's the "holy grail" of opnions, just a reference point.

The metascore is used by the major publishers to determine everything from the bonus a developer receives, to weather a game is successful or not, to the decision on a sequel. Reference point for you and me, much more for the business of games.

We can agree to disagree smile.gif
post #254 of 993
Thread Starter 
Polygon continues to prove that its integrity is as valuable as used toilet tissue. The fact that Metacritic gives weight to corrupt sites like that is what keeps them from being taken too seriously as well.

The one positive thing to come about as it relates to the general poor quality of today's modern gaming press is how more and more people can see through their shenanigans.
post #255 of 993
I was watching someone play it on a live stream today and it looked pretty good. Not really a big "wow" next gen but it looked good for a launch title.
post #256 of 993
MP will be where its at anyways. Like every other shooter, the campaign is there to visually impress; but it's still a grunt space marine campaign. KZ2 did the best job so far, but if anything it's still just a training ground for MP.

I do always wonder why it gets the docked so much in reviews because of it's SP, while games like BF and COD get a complete pass on similar mundane campaigns. Chock it up to stepchild syndrome IMO. Killzone isn't as popular, so it's held to a loftier standard to break in with the big boys.
Edited by TyrantII - 11/13/13 at 6:56pm
post #257 of 993
I HATE and LOATHE reviewers that knock SP in games that have MP for that very reason. Maybe they don't get to try MP though...some deserve it but not all.
post #258 of 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post

I HATE and LOATHE reviewers that knock SP in games that have MP for that very reason. Maybe they don't get to try MP though...some deserve it but not all.

I never really thought of KZ as much of a MP contender, the awful controls always made it a non-starter for me.
post #259 of 993
Its not in the COD realm or BF for that matter but I'd guess that KZ MP is solid. I haven't played any KZ multi unfortunately but it sure didn't ever sound inherently broken like Spec Ops was. I've read reviews on several games where MP was the best part but they got knocked on SP alone. Medal of Honor Warfighter comes quickly to mind, that thrashing still burns me. I agree wholeheartedly that both COD and to a lesser extent BF get a pass on shoddy SP. The last several COD campaigns were buggy garbage. BF SP hasn't been bad but BF4's story seems like an afterthought.

Then again, I'd almost prefer some titles fly low under the radar. Ghost Recon FS and MoH:W were great fun without all the little kiddies that need muted. Hopefully KZ is like that. Good enough to keep a decent amount of players but not a quickscopers paradise. Oh well, find out in about 26 hours biggrin.gif

Edit: ooh my math was a bit off
post #260 of 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I never really thought of KZ as much of a MP contender, the awful controls always made it a non-starter for me.
There was nothing wrong with its controls.... GG just chose to design weight into the guns.
post #261 of 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Mapstone View Post

There was nothing wrong with its controls.... GG just chose to design weight into the guns.

There was an obnoxious amount of input lag, and the shoddy frame rate didn't help either. I generally sneer at 30fps shooters anyway so take that as you will, but 5 mins with KZ2 and KZ3 was enough for me to know that my time was better spent with games that focus on MP first.
post #262 of 993
There is a big difference between programming weight into the controls, and using input lag to simulate weight.
post #263 of 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

There was an obnoxious amount of input lag, and the shoddy frame rate didn't help either. I generally sneer at 30fps shooters anyway so take that as you will, but 5 mins with KZ2 and KZ3 was enough for me to know that my time was better spent with games that focus on MP first.
You needed to put more than 5 min into KZ2 to get used to the way it shoots. KZ3 was not a problem as GG design it to be more like COD. I remember the input lag complaint from when KZ2 released, still don't buy it. I believe it was designed in to make the game feel more realistic. Shooting a real gun is not like pressing an electronic button. There is a trigger too "pull" and then a mechanical firing mechanism that ignites the bullet. Its not instant. Once you get used to this after playing hours of COD, its simply awesome!!!
post #264 of 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

There is a big difference between programming weight into the controls, and using input lag to simulate weight.
GG did not use input lag to simulate weight, the weight was there without the lag. I will say that I am assuming the input lag was there on purpose to simulate the mechanical firing mechanism in a gun. I suppose it could of been by mistake. But either way the following shows how firing a gun is not like pressing an electronic button.
http://www.genitron.com/Basics/Interactive-Glock-Pistol
post #265 of 993
No, when it takes almost a full second for my screen to register any analog stick movement or button press of any kind, that is lag. It was proven that it was input lag and not programmed weight long ago.
post #266 of 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

No, when it takes almost a full second for my screen to register any analog stick movement or button press of any kind, that is lag. It was proven that it was input lag and not programmed weight long ago.

Something was wrong with your hardware/software if that is the case. I just played KZ2 a couple of weeks ago, not even remotely close to that issue. Same with videos I just checked out on youtube.
post #267 of 993
It was terrible upon release, but each patch they were able to drill it down. KZ3 still had a little bit of input lag, but not out of the norm for most shooters.

The renderer for KZSF has been rewritten with that in mind and they claim all input lag is now gone. Hopefully DF can confirm, as I don't have much hope in joe reviewer that can't even tell the difference between upscaled 1080P and native 1080P.
post #268 of 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

Something was wrong with your hardware/software if that is the case. I just played KZ2 a couple of weeks ago, not even remotely close to that issue. Same with videos I just checked out on youtube.

Even with the patch lag was still quite bad even for a 30fps game. (Like EG said, the patch seems to have reduced the analog deadzone mostly, which would have a big impact on the feel of the game)

Still, none of this was weight, it was simply poor design. Proper weight would involve programming proper momentum to everything. Acceleration where the movement starts with your button press and builds up properly, not just have nothing happen for 150+ms not counting display lag.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-lag-factor-article
post #269 of 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Even with the patch lag was still quite bad even for a 30fps game. (Like EG said, the patch seems to have reduced the analog deadzone mostly, which would have a big impact on the feel of the game)

Still, none of this was weight, it was simply poor design. Proper weight would involve programming proper momentum to everything. Acceleration where the movement starts with your button press and builds up properly, not just have nothing happen for 150+ms not counting display lag.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-lag-factor-article

For me it had lag but nowhere close to almost a full second. I just watched some youtube videos with the controller next to the screen to show lag, same thing in that isn't remotely close to a full second of lag.

150 ms = .15 seconds which isn't remotely close to a full second.
post #270 of 993
So the weight that I loved in KZ2 was a mistake in the design?confused.gif

Everybody is a "Super Hero" in COD, super fast responses, no real gun recoil, floating around the map...., I assumed GG was trying to do something different... If it was all by accident, my gaming world has just been shattered.wink.gif

Why are KZ:SF reviews lower than COD, now that it is all fixed and will play like COD?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PlayStation Area

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › Killzone: Shadow Fall (PS4)